Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New scope.

Options
  • 21-11-2014 12:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 353 ✭✭

I'm in the market for a new scope and don't know what scope to get. It will be used for gallery rifle shooting I have a budget of about €700-€800 and want something that can focus down to 10 yards and has target turrets. Any help would be appreciated. I already have a hawke 4-16x50 on my rifle so somthing with better glass is what I'm looking for
    Cheers.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,057 ✭✭✭clivej

I will presume your shooting a 10/22.
    A lot of the lads use the Bushnell Banner 6-18x50. You will only have to aim off at 10m & then it's 1" high will get you into the X ring.

I now use a hawk sidewinder 30 6-24x56. I find the extra light transmission with the 56mm objective better for these old eyes of mine.
    I did fit a servo wheel off a remote control aeroplane on my banner to adjust the reticle that worked very well

• Registered Users Posts: 353 ✭✭BillBen

Clive it's my .38 leaver I want the new scope for. Christmas is coming up and the wife said pick a scope. I'm always forgetting to aim off so that's why I was looking for something decent with target turrets. I was thinking about the bushnell tactical elite but it's parallax is set at 50. So if you've any other suggestions please let me know.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,175 ✭✭✭cw67irl

clivej wrote: »
    I will presume your shooting a 10/22.
    A lot of the lads use the Bushnell Banner 6-18x50. You will only have to aim off at 10m & then it's 1" high will get you into the X ring.

I now use a hawk sidewinder 30 6-24x56. I find the extra light transmission with the 56mm objective better for this old eyes of mine.
    I did fit a servo wheel off a remote control aeroplane on my banner to adjust the reticle that worked very well

What distance are you Zeroed at Clive?

• Registered Users Posts: 881 ✭✭✭Wadi14

guys as someone who is thinking of taking up Gallery shooting with a 1022, what is the better option or is there a better option, aim off or zero the scope at the different distances and adjust ur scope at that distance ?

BillBen wrote: »
    Clive it's my .38 leaver I want the new scope for. Christmas is coming up and the wife said pick a scope. I'm always forgetting to aim off so that's why I was looking for something decent with target turrets. I was thinking about the bushnell tactical elite but it's parallax is set at 50. So if you've any other suggestions please let me know.

Like you I just find it so hard to aim off at the 10m line. So I adapted the up/down dial with a disk from a remote control servo as seen here. I then used nail varnish to mark both the different distances, 10m, 15m, 25m,& 50m, on the objective bell and disk. I find 1 full turn of up is needed at 10m to hit the X ring (when I can hit it)

Scope is the Banner 6-18x50 that is very popular for the gallery rifles.

I zero at 25m and that will be the same zero for 50m. It will be on the 'Line of sight' on the way up @25m and again crosses the line of sight on the way down @50m.

329179.jpg

329180.jpg

329181.jpg

And this is the Hawk sidewinder 30 6-24x56 on my Dlask 10/22 that will focus down to 10m with ease. It has the half mildot reticle that some say is a little busy but I got used to it very quickly. The 56mm lens will give a brighter view of the target for the zoom used that I find good for my old eyes. That's because you see a bigger image at the eye.
    And yes that is my serial number on the rifle.

329182.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,175 ✭✭✭cw67irl

Nice one Clive!

The marlin is looking great!!

Wadi14 wrote: »
    guys as someone who is thinking of taking up Gallery shooting with a 1022, what is the better option or is there a better option, aim off or zero the scope at the different distances and adjust ur scope at that distance ?

Most if not all, excluding me, will aim off.

As you can see with the Hawk scope on my 10/22 it had target turrets that allow me to adjust the reticle up at 10m. With a stop that stops me turning it wrong way. The Hawk Sidewinder 30 is one of the few scopes with a good range of zoom that will focus down to 10m.

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭Buckmark1

BillBen you would get a decent Leopold or a Zeiss Duralyt for that kind of money.
    What mag are you thinking off ?

the minimum 3-12x50 but the scope I need has to be able to focus at 10 yards because in a 1500 match that is what you start at. I've looked and can't find anything except a hawke sidewinder that will do this.

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭Buckmark1

Try a BSA tactical not the most expensive scopes. Had one on a bench rest rifle with adjustable target turrets

• Advertisement

Cheers I'll have a look at one.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,717 ✭✭✭German pointer

Sightron S-Tac 2.5-17.5X56 will focus down to 9 metres. A little above your budget but a fabulous scope

Buckmark1 wrote: »
    Try a BSA tactical not the most expensive scopes. Had one on a bench rest rifle with adjustable target turrets

BSA was the only scope I had that was sh!te.
    They are cheap for a reason

And not the need for expensive scopes for galley shooting. The Banner can be got new for €200.
    Not many scopes used are with the smaller objective lens, so 44mm is minimum IMO.
    Only the need to focus down to 10m. This is important for Multi Target, T&P1, 1020, & 1500 competitions to name a few.

If you want the best info on a scope to use in gallery then it's best to ask the people that shoot gallery.

What about a Hawke Endurance 30 SF 6x24x50 focuses from 10m up and a nice Illuminated centre Dot
    http://www.hawkeoptics.co.uk/hawke-endurance-30-sf-6-24x50-lr-dot.html

• Registered Users Posts: 39 kartoonhead

sightron scopes you pick a decent 2nd hand for 700-800e

• Registered Users Posts: 1,279 ✭✭✭4200fps

for a budget of 700-800 you certainly would buy a zeiss duralyt. 3-12x50, Its self paralaxing all you do is zoom up to 12 or down to 3 power and you will have excellent clarity, good field of view, 30mm tube and good light transmission and its a scope thats in high demand on the second hand market. You dont see them come up for sale often hints that shooters hold onto whats of good quality. Not running down any other brand but I think its value for money

• Registered Users Posts: 11,393 ✭✭✭✭Vegeta

4200fps wrote: »
    for a budget of 700-800 you certainly would buy a zeiss duralyt. 3-12x50, Its self paralaxing all you do is zoom up to 12 or down to 3 power and you will have excellent clarity, good field of view, 30mm tube and good light transmission and its a scope thats in high demand on the second hand market. You dont see them come up for sale often hints that shooters hold onto whats of good quality. Not running down any other brand but I think its value for money

More than likely this scope has a fixed parallax at maybe 100 meters.

Thanks for the info. By any chance do you know of any websites that I can look at I've sort of made up my mind that that's the scope I'll be getting. I was looking at ebay.com but some sellers are looking for $300 on top of shipping

Sorry BillBen, which scope is that?

I'm thinking of getting the Zeiss duralyt 3-12x50 if it would focus at ten yards.

• Advertisement

I'm thinking of getting the Zeiss duralyt 3-12x50 if it would focus at ten yards.

Money Sense More Than comes to mind. :confused::confused:

x12 is not enough zoom for the type of shooting your talking about IMO
    Hunting, stalking a very good scope BUT you said "It will be used for gallery rifle shooting "

Try shooting a couple of comps. first then make your mind up :rolleyes::rolleyes:

Without a doubt they're a brilliant scope for hunting. They're fixed parallax at 100 meters though as far as I know. So how crisp an image you'll get at 10 yards is probably something you might want to see first hand and there will be parallax error (~20mm at 10 yards). How much this will impact on gallery shooting I don't know. No target turrets either.

Thanks clive I might just do that. Lol. As you said more money then sense.

Thanks clive I might just do that. Lol. As you said more money then sense.

Not quite what I said but you got it.......... DC :p:p

BillBen, Have you looked at the Hawke Endurance 6x24x50 SF, it would be perfect for Gallery shooting and the money you save could go towards ammo for practice. As Vegeta has mentioned the Zeiss is fixed parallax to a minimum of 100m it could even be more than 100, and as Clivej said you need more than x12 magnification, Nice scope but not for what you need

I think you might be right. The zeiss might be overkill for gallery rifle so the Hawke sidewinder might be the sensible option.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,279 ✭✭✭4200fps

What you going shooting at ten yards btw? You should get crisp image on the zeiss on anything above 30 yards.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,970 ✭✭✭✭Witcher

4200fps wrote: »
    What you going shooting at ten yards btw? You should get crisp image on the zeiss on anything above 30 yards.

He wants it for gallery rifle.

It's for gallery rifle competitions that I want it for. And in the GRCF 1500 match you start at 10 meters. A lot of guys are using higher mag scopes but I never go past 10 power in mine so I want to put a good scope with good glass on it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭Lemon3

The Bushnell Elite 6500 2.5-16x42 is an excellent scope and has parallax/focus to 10 yards and target turrets to dial out elevation changes at different distances. A much better scope that the Hawke. http://www.scopesdirect.co.uk/proddetail.asp?prod=Bushnell_Elite_Tactical_2.5-16x42_Rifle_Scope

Advertisement