Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New scope.

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 353 ✭✭BillBen

Cheers had a look at the bushnell but the objective is only 42 I need 50 or 56 because I want to see as much of the target a possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭Lemon3

The bigger objective will not show you more of the target but will provide a slightly brighter image in low light. A higher quality 42mm scope will provide a brighter clearer image than a lower quality 50 or 56mm.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,057 ✭✭✭clivej

Lemon3 wrote: »
    The bigger objective will not show you more of the target but will provide a slightly brighter image in low light. A higher quality 42mm scope will provide a brighter clearer image than a lower quality 50 or 56mm.

Not quite correct

The bigger objective lens will give a bigger 'Picture' to the eye.
    The way to calculate the size is to divide the objective lens by the zoom used. This will give you the diameter of the image that your eye will see when it is correct distance from the eye-piece lens and in focus (eye relief).
    Also tube diameter does not allow more light through. Just gives more clicks of the reticle.
    The image, what you see through the scope, is determined by the 'Field of View' of the scope and can be found in the spec of the scope. ie. so many feet at 100y or m/100m

EG.

Obj 30mm / 10 zoom = 3mm eye image
    Obj 60mm / 10 zoom = 6mm eye image
    Obj 60mm / 20 zoom = 3mm eye image

BUT as said the better the glass the better the image

Cheers Clive very informative. I'll be deciding on one of three scopes over the next few days.

• Registered Users Posts: 881 ✭✭✭Wadi14

BillBen. make sure after all your decision making that you have a look through the scopes before purchasing, if club members have them great have a look at them and what the shooters think of them, don't buy a scope online without knowing it will do ur job, I'd hate to see you selling a NIGHT FORCE, or LEUPOLD or SWAROVSKI on here in a few weeks and me having to take it off your hands cheap lol

• Advertisement

Thanks for the advice. If I do buy and it's not suitable I'll give you first refusal. Lol

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭Lemon3

clivej wrote: »
    Not quite correct

The bigger objective lens will give a bigger 'Picture' to the eye.
    The way to calculate the size is to divide the objective lens by the zoom used. This will give you the diameter of the image that your eye will see when it is correct distance from the eye-piece lens and in focus (eye relief).
    Also tube diameter does not allow more light through. Just gives more clicks of the reticle.
    The image, what you see through the scope, is determined by the 'Field of View' of the scope and can be found in the spec of the scope. ie. so many feet at 100y or m/100m

EG.

Obj 30mm / 10 zoom = 3mm eye image
    Obj 60mm / 10 zoom = 6mm eye image
    Obj 60mm / 20 zoom = 3mm eye image

BUT as said the better the glass the better the image

Clive, what you are describing here is the exit pupil diameter, and its size has nothing to do with the size of the image at a given magnification. A 16x42 will provide the same size image to the viewer as a 16x60, the latter will just be brighter. At high magnification the difference in field of view, from scope to scope would be insignificant.

Advertisement