Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

10%

13»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,295 ✭✭✭n97 mini

Graham wrote: »
    Does that 3 include the number of times industrial action has been threatened or the number of time a ballot was taken for industrial action?

And that's just one of the CIE companies (DB).

AlekSmart wrote: »
    As to comparisons with the Standard Bearers of the Private Sector (Many of who'se services I use regularly),It is never quite as direct a process.

To the travelling public, a reliable dependable safe service is all that matters.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,005 ✭✭✭✭AlekSmart

Graham wrote: »
    Does that 3 include the number of times industrial action has been threatened or the number of time a ballot was taken for industrial action?

Nope,threats of disruption for any amount of reasons tend to occur almost hourly throughout life,so in this case I'm sticking to the actual disruption that was referenced by n97 mini...
    2000 - 20% pay claim followed by strike
    2009 - LRC proposals rejected followed by strike
    2013 - similar strike

So,whilst as of now,there is no threatened action in BAC,but going on n97mini's timeline perhaps a few € wagered with Paddy Power on 2019 might be a winner alright ?

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

Charles Mackay (1812-1889)

n97 mini wrote: »
    To the travelling public, a reliable dependable safe service is all that matters.

Absolutely....the same requirement no matter where you are...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zUuxD4QIUfo

http://www.yelp.ie/biz/sydney-buses-sydney

http://www.baltimorefishbowl.com/stories/the-mta-bus-line-so-unreliable-that-one-rider-put-up-missing-posters/

http://cropwellbishop-pc.gov.uk/news/unreliable-bus-service-updates/

http://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/news/local-news/bus-firm-first-slammed-by-transport-681213

The reality in Dublin's case is that we are nowhere near as woeful as we think....all around us is evidence of improvement and continuing improvement,slow,but ongoing and expanding constantly.

Some folks (I'll suggest,the majority) are aware of this and react accordingly,whilst other's will remain steadfast in their belief that their glass is half-empty,as well as having a hole in the bottom,deliberately placed there to make their lives as awful as possible.

Public Transport Systems everywhere tend to operate at one major disadvantage as far as satisfaction levels go...the PUBLIC element,which always operates counter to basic human nature,which puts the INDIVIDUAL first at all times.

That's why there will always be a requirement for the Bicycle,Skateboard,Car,Taxi and pair of sturdy walking shoes...for those who'se personal needs can NOT be met by PUBLIC means...ever ! :(

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

Absolutely....the same requirement no matter where you are...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zUuxD4QIUfo
    [/url]

LOL... minister intervenes as buses are up to half an hour late! If that's the worst privatisation can do, bring it on, it'd be an improvement in a lot of cases!

LOL... minister intervenes as buses are up to half an hour late! If that's the worst privatisation can do, bring it on, it'd be an improvement in a lot of cases!

:D...it's on the way...we're just awaiting a Minister photogenic enough ... ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,195 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

cdebru wrote: »
    What way was it delayed by trade unions ?
    ah now, shur begorra begosh don't you know if it rains in this country its the fault of the trade unions

I'm very highly educated. I know words, i have the best words, nobody has better words then me.

2000 - 20% pay claim followed by strike
    2009 - LRC proposals rejected followed by strike
    2013 - similar strike

Was there a strike in 2014? It's all a bit blurry, but we the travelling public have become used to strikes from woorkers in CIE companies.
    i count 3 strikes in 13 years. nothing to see here.

I'm very highly educated. I know words, i have the best words, nobody has better words then me.

i count 3 strikes in 13 years. nothing to see here.

And probably 3 times that number of threats. Add in other CIE group companies at it's probably 9 times. Nothing to see here me hole, especially if you rely on them to get you to work.

Meanwhile zero strikes from private transport companies, though I believe there was once a threat at Luas.

And probably 3 times that number of threats. Add in other CIE group companies at it's probably 9 times. Nothing to see here me hole, especially if you rely on them to get you to work.

the amount of actual strikes is rather low. when one happens you've just got to get on with it.
    Meanwhile zero strikes from private transport companies

in ireland. so far. doesn't mean it may never happen.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,905 ✭✭✭Aard

One of the contractors on the Northern Line of the London Tube is striking around this time (not sure exactly when offhand). A service is being maintained on this line nonetheless, as far as I can tell. I wonder how the NTA will react to strikes on routes that have been put out to tender...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,763 ✭✭✭AngryLips

Wasn't there industrial unrest on Luas in the past also?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,670 ✭✭✭Peppa Pig

Meanwhile zero strikes from private transport companies, though I believe there was once a threat at Luas.
    DB threatened to go out in May last year (solidarity with BE) August (cost cutting rejections) and in October (continuing the cost cutting) and actually went on strike for 3 days in August.

You can play the stats anyway you want, be it 3 strikes in the last 13 years or 1 strike and 3 three threats in the last 2 years.

Peppa Pig wrote: »
    DB threatened to go out in May last year (solidarity with BE) August (cost cutting rejections) and in October (continuing the cost cutting) and actually went on strike for 3 days in August.

You can play the stats anyway you want, be it 3 strikes in the last 13 years or 1 strike and 3 three threats in the last 2 years.

Many people fail to appreciate just how seperate the two CIE Bus Companies actually are,it is now a very long time indeed since Dublin City Services and Broadstone provincial have had any common ground.

Different working arrangements,differing T's & C's of employment and a totally different set of business plans.

What has also to be factored into this debate,is the reality that BAC staff cannot strike merely "In solidarity" with Bus Eireann,without firstly going through the dispute process itself.

People of a certain vintage will know that the demise of the modern Trades Union's power began with a very elementary miscalculation by Arthur Scargill as leader of the UK's National Union of Miners...the failure to have a Strike Ballot....It was the rod which his nemisis,Margaret Thatcher used to,not alone break Arthur Scargills back,but to rewrite the modern Societal rule book.

However,in the context of this thread,it's probably best to run with the myth,as if it's continually shown to be wrong,there's nothing left to replace it ;)

However there are plans afoot to address this "form" for always being on strike.....

http://www.clb.org.hk/en/content/chinese-bus-drivers-singapore-tossed-aside-after-strike

http://www.clb.org.hk/en/content/thousands-bus-company-workers-strike-shenzhen

:eek:

Many people fail to appreciate just how seperate the two CIE Bus Companies actually are,

I think a lot of people see the routes and buses as being different, but the unions and mentality are the same.

Eh I wonder why. While the buses might be different the unions are the same.

Not alone are the buses different,but the actual staff are too....no longer any crossover at all.

The Union representatives are all from the individual companies too,with no opportunities any longer to get together and conspire a la the Gunpowder Plot ! :(

People of a certain vintage will know that the demise of the modern Trades Union's power began with a very elementary miscalculation by Arthur Scargill as leader of the UK's National Union of Miners...the failure to have a Strike Ballot....It was the rod which his nemisis,Margaret Thatcher used to,not alone break Arthur Scargills back,but to rewrite the modern Societal rule book.

she used a lot more then that in fairness. but thats best for another thread.

Not alone are the buses different,but the actual staff are too....no longer any crossover at all.

The Union representatives are all from the individual companies too,with no opportunities any longer to get together and conspire a la the Gunpowder Plot ! :(

Personally I don't see them as different... they're all in one over arching company, and all in the same unions.

Kind of like Saint Patrick and the shamrock. Three branches but definitely one plant.

Personally I don't see them as different... they're all in one over arching company, and all in the same unions.

Kind of like Saint Patrick and the shamrock. Three branches but definitely one plant.

Personally,I do see them as different,and thats where it'll have to lie so ;) ?

• Advertisement

Personally,I do see them as different,and thats where it'll have to lie so ;) ?

Fine, but just be aware, not everyone sees it like you do. Who knows, you might even be in the minority!

Fine, but just be aware, not everyone sees it like you do. Who knows, you might even be in the minority!
    #

It's grand n97 mini,I don't take these things at all personally :)

I'm Well aware of perceptions,from long before this exchange began,....it's part and parcel of the work`;)

Advertisement