Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Moving the family to Australia (in 6 years from now)

Options
  • 21-11-2014 1:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6

Hi,

Had a look around the boards and couldn't really find what I'm looking for so decided to sign up and ask straight out. I'll obviously be enquiring with Australian embassy/immigration as well but I'd love to hear some input/opinions from Irish expats.

Having visited Australia a few times, we have made the decision that we want to move over there in a few years, 6 to be precise. We are a small family consisting of myself, my wife (both early thirties) and our two daughters who will be 8 and 6 in six years from now.

We are wondering how difficult or indeed easy would it be for us to do something like this?? We are keen to especially find out if we can apply for immediate residency visas??

We are both currently in full time employment in the public sector. My wife is also a qualified beautician and nail technician. I, though, do not have any formal qualifications, but come the time I will have a modest public sector pension and hope to have gained some formal qualification by then (am currently investigating accountancy courses as an option), but I would also be very interested in the Australian police force, for which I know one requires permanent residency.

So basically I'm just wondering, if we "tick" the proverbial boxes and if there is any advice at all that anyone with experience could offer us to enhance our chances of making ourselves attractive to the people giving out the visas?

Any and all help is greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28 niterain84

Osburn wrote: »
    Hi,

Had a look around the boards and couldn't really find what I'm looking for so decided to sign up and ask straight out. I'll obviously be enquiring with Australian embassy/immigration as well but I'd love to hear some input/opinions from Irish expats.

Having visited Australia a few times, we have made the decision that we want to move over there in a few years, 6 to be precise. We are a small family consisting of myself, my wife (both early thirties) and our two daughters who will be 8 and 6 in six years from now.

We are wondering how difficult or indeed easy would it be for us to do something like this?? We are keen to especially find out if we can apply for immediate residency visas??

We are both currently in full time employment in the public sector. My wife is also a qualified beautician and nail technician. I, though, do not have any formal qualifications, but come the time I will have a modest public sector pension and hope to have gained some formal qualification by then (am currently investigating accountancy courses as an option), but I would also be very interested in the Australian police force, for which I know one requires permanent residency.

So basically I'm just wondering, if we "tick" the proverbial boxes and if there is any advice at all that anyone with experience could offer us to enhance our chances of making ourselves attractive to the people giving out the visas?

Any and all help is greatly appreciated.

Public sector pension??? in your thirties???

but anyway
    6 years is a long way ahead. things can change alot in that time. you could look at the skills shortage list and see if your professions are on it. But that doesnt mean they will be on it in 6 years time.

if you get a permanent residency visa now, its only valid for 5 years so it would expire before you would arrive. to renew it you have to have lived at least 2 years of them 5 in Australia. its easy to renew it once you live in Aus but you cant if you havent been there.

You could use these years to get some solid qualifications under your belt that would be in demand in Aus. Your age, skills and work experience are the big factors in getting a visa. Its a bit early to be organising visas in my opinion but fair play to you for getting organised , alot of people dont.

good luck with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Osburn

niterain84 wrote: »
    Public sector pension??? in your thirties???

but anyway
    6 years is a long way ahead. things can change alot in that time. you could look at the skills shortage list and see if your professions are on it. But that doesnt mean they will be on it in 6 years time.

if you get a permanent residency visa now, its only valid for 5 years so it would expire before you would arrive. to renew it you have to have lived at least 2 years of them 5 in Australia. its easy to renew it once you live in Aus but you cant if you havent been there.

You could use these years to get some solid qualifications under your belt that would be in demand in Aus. Your age, skills and work experience are the big factors in getting a visa. Its a bit early to be organising visas in my opinion but fair play to you for getting organised , alot of people dont.

good luck with it.

Thanks for your reply. Pension is/will be from the defence forces. Joined at 18 and will have qualified for small pension after 21 years service in late 2020.

Wasn't really intending on applying right now but am certainly going to get my ducks in a row, so to speak. Was more interested in learning if it is even possible to get residency without having first lived there for a period of time? Basically, I'd be applying from here before we ever moved out there. Is that do-able??

Just found the skills shortage list to which you referred. Cheers. Handy to know.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,374 ✭✭✭aido79

Thanks for your reply. Pension is/will be from the defence forces. Joined at 18 and will have qualified for small pension after 21 years service in late 2020.

Wasn't really intending on applying right now but am certainly going to get my ducks in a row, so to speak. Was more interested in learning if it is even possible to get residency without having first lived there for a period of time? Basically, I'd be applying from here before we ever moved out there. Is that do-able??

Just found the skills shortage list to which you referred. Cheers. Handy to know.

To be honest if you applied now you wouldn't have a hope in hell of getting permanent residency in Australia. However you can use the next 5 or 6 years to gain a qualification which is on the skills list to migrate here. It is possible to get permanent residency here without ever setting foot in Australia. Just be aware that immigration change the rules/requirements most years so try to keep up to date with these changes through immi.gov au.

Thanks. Does anyone know if having children restricts or enhances your chances?? Or is it totally irrelevant to your application?

• Registered Users Posts: 210 ✭✭Windorah

As far as I'm aware kids make little difference to the visa application.

I am currently applying for a permanent residency visa based on my profession so once that goes through I will be putting my partner on as a defacto. I'm assuming children are the same but I'm open to correction.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭d.pop

Thanks. Does anyone know if having children restricts or enhances your chances?? Or is it totally irrelevant to your application?

Kids make no difference, they go on your application as will your partner or vice versa.
    Australia has a skills shortage not a labour shortage so they only take people with a skill they require.
    Requirements change over the years but the basic ones don't vary too much.
    Trying to choose a career now for immigration into oz later is a big gamble unless you go for a recognised profession and/ or get the relevant experience.
    If you tick all the boxes you can apply for residency prior to coming over, many do, myself included but you need to meet the minimum points requirement. Spend a few weeks on poms in oz, immigration website and boards to gather information.
    As per earlier comment choosing a career path to immigrate is a very big risk in my opinion, better to choose something you enjoy and are good at, the rest will come of its own, i.e. you would then have a marketable skill that will get you a visa on your own or possibly sponsored.
    Good luck.

Windorah wrote: »
    As far as I'm aware kids make little difference to the visa application.

I am currently applying for a permanent residency visa based on my profession so once that goes through I will be putting my partner on as a defacto. I'm assuming children are the same but I'm open to correction.

Good luck with it. Am I correct in assuming that, of a married couple, only one of the two needs to apply, and the spouse automatically qualifies if you are accepted??

Edit: sorry only just read the next post, which answers my question.

d.pop wrote: »
    Kids make no difference, they go on your application as will your partner or vice versa.
    Australia has a skills shortage not a labour shortage so they only take people with a skill they require.
    Requirements change over the years but the basic ones don't vary too much.
    Trying to choose a career now for immigration into oz later is a big gamble unless you go for a recognised profession and/ or get the relevant experience.
    If you tick all the boxes you can apply for residency prior to coming over, many do, myself included but you need to meet the minimum points requirement. Spend a few weeks on poms in oz, immigration website and boards to gather information.
    As per earlier comment choosing a career path to immigrate is a very big risk in my opinion, better to choose something you enjoy and are good at, the rest will come of its own, i.e. you would then have a marketable skill that will get you a visa on your own or possibly sponsored.
    Good luck.

Thanks for your comments. Good info there.

I have heard about the whole sponsorship thing. Do you need to know people over there, who could offer you employment in order for this to be an option??

• Registered Users Posts: 4,435 ✭✭✭mandrake04

Thanks for your comments. Good info there.

I have heard about the whole sponsorship thing. Do you need to know people over there, who could offer you employment in order for this to be an option??

There's two main occupation lists, the first list is the SOL or skilled occupation list these are core list of occupations that Australia have decided is in shortage.

The second list is the CSOL which is a more extensive list of occupations, this requires a lot more hoop jumping as the government has decided that these occupations are required by demand rather than supply.

You either need to find an employer willing to sponsor or a State/Territory sponsor on a SMP which is a State Migration Plan.

Also migration favors those between the age of 25-32, once you go over 32 you start losing points for age, you might gain a few for work experience but you still lose more due to age.

Once you get to 45 it's very difficult, over 50 and it's virtually impossible.

As mentioned above there is a skill shortage in a few dozen occupations not a labour shortage.

Will the fact that I have a pension for life stand to me?? Is it worth anything in the points process?? I'm guessing it's value to be somewhere around €1800 monthly by the time I start getting it, in six years from now.

All going well, we will also have savings to the tune of approx €40,000. Do they take this kind of thing into consideration??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,435 ✭✭✭mandrake04

Will the fact that I have a pension for life stand to me?? Is it worth anything in the points process?? I'm guessing it's value to be somewhere around €1800 monthly by the time I start getting it, in six years from now.

All going well, we will also have savings to the tune of approx €40,000. Do they take this kind of thing into consideration??

Only for the likes of state sponsorship in some states requires settlement funds $20K but you still need qualifications and experience in something useful. You won't get any points for financial funds from immigration unless your are investing something like $5m

• Registered Users Posts: 282 ✭✭Nelson Muntz

No idea what your experience is but I found this link. Looks like there may be a pathway if you're prepared to go into the Australian defence forces.

http://www.defencejobs.gov.au/recruitmentcentre/canIJoin/overseasApplicants/

It could save you having to study and you could go sooner if you like. Holding out for your pension vs kids not changing schools is a tough choice though.

Advertisement