Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Snow in Stepaside

Options
  • 21-11-2014 1:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 793 ✭✭✭

Was anyone on here living in Stepaside during the big freeze a few years ago? Was it hell getting out to work in the mornings with the snow? How was the road clearing around the area? With the snow forecast in the next few weeks I just want to plan alternative ways of getting to work if we get similar weather.

Thanks in advance!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭heebusjeebus

The roads were fairly well treated by the council. The problem I faced was getting out of the estates as these were rarely salted.
    Your best bet would be to walk to the Luas if you needed to get into town.

I'm lucky that I work in Sandyford so I just walked to work rather than drove.

If you've got a rear wheel drive car, maybe invest in some snow socks for the rear wheels. Use them to get out of your estate.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,402 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Kunkka wrote: »
    With the snow forecast in the next few weeks I just want to plan alternative ways of getting to work if we get similar weather.

Thanks in advance!

Come again, the what now?, are you mistaking this for the Buffalo New York forum?
    There is no snow forecast for the next 5 days anywhere in Dublin, with slight possibility of some Wicklow mountain summits seeing some early next week. Beyond that nobody but Donegal postmen are making forecasts further down the road.
    The snow in 2010 was a one in 30 year occurrence approximately, the last one being 1982. Its very very unlikely to repeat any time soon (though personally I'd love it if it did!)

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Registered Users Posts: 24,080 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

I agree, those long range forecasts are bullsh1t and guesswork by private companies in different parts of the world, sensationalised by the tabloids looking to fill pages. Check out the Weather forum to see the disdain for them.

Weather forecasts are accurate to about 5 days, trends can be seen out to about 10 days, subject to caveats. Met Eireann abandoned seasonal forecasting as they said it just hadnt proved its worth.

Chances of disruptive snow in Stepaside in the next ten days? Zero. Chances before Christmas? Probably 5-10%, as usual.

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭Gadfly Girl

Fair points but snow in Stepaside is much more of an issue than snow in Dundrum :)

It's the fear factor :)

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,719 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

Fair points but snow in Stepaside is much more of an issue than snow in Dundrum :)

It's the fear factor :)

Not when, as in 2010, the Gardai closed Kilmacud Road Upper and the entire area ground to a halt. :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,444 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

Kunkka wrote: »
    ......With the snow forecast in the next few weeks ....

Still waiting for the snow? Was that 'forecast' in the Daily Mail by any chance?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,925 ✭✭✭RainyDay

In all fairness, if you live in Stepaside, there is no harm at all in making sure you are well prepared for snow, with whatever it takes in terms of shovels, footwear, tyres etc. If it doesn't happen this year, it will happen some year.

• Registered Users Posts: 793 ✭✭✭Kunkka

coylemj wrote: »
    Still waiting for the snow? Was that 'forecast' in the Daily Mail by any chance?

I was just getting prepared with it being my first winter here and hearing stories. Along with many saying that it's supposed to be a rough winter. :confused::confused:
    RainyDay wrote: »
    In all fairness, if you live in Stepaside, there is no harm at all in making sure you are well prepared for snow, with whatever it takes in terms of shovels, footwear, tyres etc. If it doesn't happen this year, it will happen some year.

Exactly but people love trying to be smart & rude to other people on the internet but that's old news.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,285 ✭✭✭100gSoma

was there in 2010. Would agree with the other poster; the main issue is getting out of the estate. I was in Cruagh/Wingfield and the estate roads are quite steep. In the mornings you would often get stuck behind another car spinning its wheels trying to make it up the hill and out onto the main enniskerry road.
    The main roads were well treated and never any problems.

Advertisement