Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mature Student - another unsure applicant (advice appreciated)

Options
  • 21-11-2014 2:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 29

Hi,

I am considering applying as a mature student to Mary I to do Primary Teaching. I have done my research and meet all of the eligible crate (right leaving cert results etc..) I am 25, went to college at 18 and did a degree in IT - basically a result of messing up my CAO and not having a clue what I wanted to do. Primary teaching is something that has always been in the back of my mind and thinking about it makes me both nervous and excited - so I think thats a good sign!

My worry is about the application process - on the mature student application you must give a personal summary. I have worked in admin since I left college at 22 so I dont have much personal experience with kids/sports etc. Does anybody have any tips on other qualities that would benefit me for this course?

If anybody went to Mary I as a mature student I would love to hear from you. Is the competition tough? How many places are normally available? Also the interview as gaeilge sounds a bit daunting but I loved Irish in school so hoping a bit of home study would get me back into it.

I would be 30 when I finish..Is that considered very old to be starting out?

Advertisement