Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Iphone 5 Battery Replacement Program

• 21-11-2014 3:31pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,344 ✭✭✭

Hi,

My iphone 5 has been experiencing serious battery issues, and when the battery goes below 50% it is liable to die without a moments warning. I looked into this and found that a select few of iPhone 5's sold between September 2012 and January 2013 have faulty batteries. Apple recognised this issue last summer and put in place a replacement program.

I just got off the phone with Apple support, and after speaking with a very pleasant and obliging woman for 10 minutes or so, she confirmed that after checking my serial number that I was elegible to receive a free replacement. She told me that as their is no Apple store in Ireland they would send out a package in 2/3 working days and that I need to put the phone into the package and send it back to them. I am obviously very pleased with this outcome.

However, after looking into this a bit further I have discovered that iphones with cracked screens are not elegible... There is a small crack on my screen, is it possible that I can repair the screen and then send the phone to Apple? Or should I simply send the phone to Apple, cracked screen and all and hope they repair it, if they dont they send it back to me anyway? Thoughts?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,497 ✭✭✭✭guil

They will know if you replace the screen and won't replace the battery. Only option is to buy both yourself or pay Apple to do it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,344 ✭✭✭buyer95

guil wrote: »
    They will know if you replace the screen and won't replace the battery. Only option is to buy both yourself or pay Apple to do it.

What are you basing this on? I've read multiple articles on this and all state that if you repair the screen before sending it there will be no issue.

International Business Times http://www.ibtimes.co.uk/apple-extends-iphone-5-battery-replacement-program-throughout-world-check-your-eligibility-1463388
    iPhone 5 users, who are eligible to receive a new battery, should keep in mind that devices with external physical damages like cracked screens leading to battery impairment are not eligible, and these issues need to be corrected before submitting the device for battery replacement.

Apple Insider http://appleinsider.com/articles/14/08/22/apple-activates-iphone-5-battery-replacement-program
    Aside from determining whether an iPhone contains one of the known-faulty batteries, the phone must be in working order to be eligible for a part swap. Any damage that would make replacement of the battery difficult, like a cracked screen, would first need to be fixed, meaning the swap-out could come at a cost.

Phone Arena /B] http://www.phonearena.com/news/Apple-iPhone-5-battery-replacement-program-expands-worldwide_id59983

Lastly, if your device has cracked glass or any other damage that affects battery replacement, these problems need to be repaired before Apple will accept the phone and replace the battery. In some cases, Apple says it might have to charge for the repair.

arstechnica.com http://arstechnica.com/apple/2014/08/apple-announces-battery-replacement-program-for-the-iphone-5/
    As with that replacement program, Apple won't replace your battery unless your iPhone is in good working order and has an uncracked screen—if you take a broken iPhone to Apple to get the battery replaced, you'll need to pay for any other repairs first.

All reports I've read are peddling the same line, so I'm not sure where you plucked that from?

Does anyone know how much Apple charge to replace the screen before replacing battery?

buyer95 wrote: »
    What are you basing this on? I've read multiple articles on this and all state that if you repair the screen before sending it there will be no issue.

All reports I've read are peddling the same line, so I'm not sure where you plucked that from?

Does any of them state getting the repair done in an unauthorised shop? Authorised repair centres are the only ones with access to genuine parts, there is none in Ireland.

Does anyone know how much Apple charge to replace the screen before replacing battery?

http://support.apple.com/kb/index?page=servicefaq&geo=Ireland&product=iphone

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭bjp1967

I had battery issue with Iphone 5 as well and contacted Apple about battery replacement, the lady for Apple asked were any other issues with phone, I said there was some issues with power button (in fact it wasn't working at all). She said they would examine phone and if they found any other problems they would contact me in advance in case any extra costs incurred. I head nothing and phone returned a week later by UPS.

Battery replaced and power button replaced, its like a new phone now!!!!

I think I'll just send it cracked screen and all, get a quote on how much it costs to fix and then decide

It will cost €261

guil wrote: »
    It will cost €261

Source?

Source?

Lol did you bother to look at the link above?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭IanLAD

anyone know how long does it take for the phone to be returned after you send it for the battery replacement?

• Registered Users Posts: 2 pikeymikey

Hi I've sent my phone off to get the battery replacement done on this recall and yes I had a cracked screen got it repaired at a store in ballymount. Sent it off battery replaced no problem with not been original screen !!

• Registered Users Posts: 2 pikeymikey

And it should take 5 working days but mine went on a bit mix up with tracking number

pikeymikey wrote: »
    Hi I've sent my phone off to get the battery replacement done on this recall and yes I had a cracked screen got it repaired at a store in ballymount. Sent it off battery replaced no problem with not been original screen !!

Thats great, I'll get mine repaired so and then send it off. Thanks a lot for the info

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭aine1980

Thanks for posting this I have the same issue with mine - going to call Apple tomorrow to organise pick up

This worked out perfectly. I repaired the screen for 70 euro then sent the phone to Apple for repair. Got it back yesterday, phone battery is brilliant. Delighted. Thanks for the heads up pikey!

Advertisement