Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leaving Cert Chemistry as an External Candidate

Options
  • 21-11-2014 3:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 35

Hi, I am considering sitting Leaving Cert Chemistry next year as an external candidate to support my application to Mature Entry Medicine for the following year.
    Has anyone sat Chemistry as an external candidate? I am wondering what would be the story with the experiments. I understand they aren't worth any marks but are mandatory to be allowed to sit the exam.
    Any help would be greatly appreciated! :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭Caolan

person78 wrote: »
    Hi, I am considering sitting Leaving Cert Chemistry next year as an external candidate to support my application to Mature Entry Medicine for the following year.
    Has anyone sat Chemistry as an external candidate? I am wondering what would be the story with the experiments. I understand they aren't worth any marks but are mandatory to be allowed to sit the exam.
    Any help would be greatly appreciated! :)

I did it externally last year teaching myself and experiments are definitely worth marks (knowing them, not doing them)

The course is actually quite small- but you have to get the concepts.

Calculations, balancing equations and understanding the concepts are really important, as are the mandatory experiments.

If you don't know them pretty well you will struggle as they are at least 25% of the course.

You will be asked three questions on experiments (one from organic, one from titrations and one from others). You must answer two questions on experiments, but can answer a third if you wish.

I'd highly recommend against attempting it without the experiments.

You can learn the experiments from books (though technically you are supposed to have done them).

Hope that helps and good luck!

Advertisement