Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

8mb line, same tested speed but Internet is slower

Options
  • 21-11-2014 5:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭

Currently on the 8mb line, although only getting around 2.3, highest it ever goes to is about 2.8 which is rarely.

Tests are showing me at somewhat normal, maybe slightly slower speeds, but some websites especially Youtube and any page with content loading is a lot slower to load. Has there been something going on lately with any maintenance or anything?

Also is there any chance I can get upgraded to a faster package? I've been fobbed off about Fibre or the past few months saying it's not in my area yet. Even a faster connection would make a difference.

I live not too far outside one of the biggest towns in Cork, to have 2.3mbps consistently as my speed is pathetic really. Strongly considering changing provider or to purchases a different form of broadband as getting fed up with it now.

I will send a PM to a rep if that can help me with this.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

No one at all to help?

• Registered Users Posts: 24 diwit

It has been the same for me for the last 3 weeks or so and I am in Dublin 2. The eircom speed test is fine because it is in Ireland. Can you try a speedtest that is outside Ireland and see if it is reporting ~8mbps or ~2mbps?

This one for example is in Spain and it is slow while the Eircom one is "fast" (running them one right after the other): ht tp://ww w.adsl 4ever. com/test/11/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 101 ✭✭eircom: Aisling

Corholio wrote: »
    Currently on the 8mb line, although only getting around 2.3, highest it ever goes to is about 2.8 which is rarely.

Tests are showing me at somewhat normal, maybe slightly slower speeds, but some websites especially Youtube and any page with content loading is a lot slower to load. Has there been something going on lately with any maintenance or anything?

Also is there any chance I can get upgraded to a faster package? I've been fobbed off about Fibre or the past few months saying it's not in my area yet. Even a faster connection would make a difference.

I live not too far outside one of the biggest towns in Cork, to have 2.3mbps consistently as my speed is pathetic really. Strongly considering changing provider or to purchases a different form of broadband as getting fed up with it now.

I will send a PM to a rep if that can help me with this.

Hi Corholio

Would you like to PM me the tele no & I will look into this for you.

Thanks

Ash

Thanks for the reply Aisling. Sent you a PM there.

Forgot to include link in first message so sent you it there in a second message.

Just called technical support there. They basically completely contradicted what you told me and they said there was no fault on the line at all.

They also could not help me with the slow video loading and practically rudely fobbed me off on that. They also told me my line could only carry a maximum of 3.5mb which I was very surprised at, surely there is a way to upgrade this to get somewhat decent speeds!

I have PM'd you there again Aisling.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,831 ✭✭✭eircom: Alan

Just called technical support there. They basically completely contradicted what you told me and they said there was no fault on the line at all.

They also could not help me with the slow video loading and practically rudely fobbed me off on that. They also told me my line could only carry a maximum of 3.5mb which I was very surprised at, surely there is a way to upgrade this to get somewhat decent speeds!

I have PM'd you there again Aisling.
    Hi Corholio

Aisling's not available today please PM me the most recent pm you sent her & I'll follow up

Thanks
    Al

Hi Alan thanks for your reply. Just sent you a PM there.

Hi Alan thanks for your reply. Just sent you a PM there.
    Thanks Corholio - could you also send me your landline number please?

Thanks
    Al

Hi Alan

Thanks for the reply, been dealing with personal stuff over past few days.

Will PM you there with my landline number to hopefully sort this out.

Hi Alan

Thanks for the reply, been dealing with personal stuff over past few days.

Will PM you there with my landline number to hopefully sort this out.
    Bo worries Corholio

Thanks
    Al

• Advertisement
Advertisement