Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cat abandoned her bed

• 21-11-2014 5:07pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,501 ✭✭✭

This isn't a problem in need of a solution as such, I'm just wondering if anyone might have an explanation that makes sense other than "cats, eh?"

Our cat spent a year or two happily sleeping every night in a little cubby hole in one of our downstairs rooms. She had a small duvet or blanket in the cubby hole and this had been in her other beds so wherever her blanket was effectively was her bed for several years.

A couple of months back we noticed that she wasn't sleeping there any more, although we know (because we put her there most nights) that she was still sleeping in the same set of linked utility rooms. There were no sofas or other comfy places for her to sleep in those rooms but where ever it was, she wasn't sleeping in the cubby hole. Other cubby holes in the same area had things like shoes, books & other hard (uncomfortable for cats . . .) items in them, so she was picking the hard floor or window ledge instead sleeping on her blanket.

Last night I noticed that she had settled down for the night in one of the other cubby holes in the room which had recently been cleared.

So . . . any ideas why she abandoned her old bed *for months* and then as soon as a new area opened up which was just like the old one she went to sleep there, all the while avoiding her old blanket? It doesn't seem to be soiled or otherwise odd as far as I can tell.

z

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,474 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Who knows? Our two are like that, i.e. they each have a favourite spot that seems to last for months at a time and then for seemingly no reason, they move somewhere else. We have a proper 'cat bed' that keeps on almost getting thrown out because neither cat sleeps in it, but just as we're on the verge of doing that, it suddenly becomes the place to be for a few months. I've noticed a bit of a seasonal shift, with them moving to warmer, comfier spots (usually our bed!) once the weather starts to get a bit colder, but that's about it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,473 ✭✭✭✭Super-Rush

When we got our first cat he always slept in a bed.

When we got our second one she used to get into the bed beside him. We got a bigger bed and they slept together for a while before he moved back into the original one. She kept following him from bed to bed so he decided to sleep on the couch. She followed him to the couch so he went upstairs an slept on the landing and managed to keep he away. We then moved one of the beds up to the landing and he would sleep in it.

One day we were getting rid of some junk and put an empty box out on the landing for a few minutes. When i went to move it i found him asleep inside so i said i'd leave it there. For a good few months he slept in it every night and she slept downstairs.

Now he sleeps in the sink in the bathroom if the door isn't closed, on tshirts if one is on the ground, cloth shopping bags, empty laundry baskets and basically anything new he found in the house.

I suppose the moral of the story is that cats do weird things all the time and we will never ever understand them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,635 ✭✭✭Pumpkinseeds

Is her new sleeping place warmer? Or maybe she got a fright while she was in her old bed. One of our cats loved the big cozy bed we bought for him during the Summer and he used to spend hours asleep in it in the living room. He stopped using it entirely a couple of weeks ago and spends a lot of time sleeping on the unused bed in the guest room, it's right up against a radiator. So we put a new cat bed on that bed for him. He still sniffs his old bed in the living room but doesn't get into it and it's clean. Maybe he's just looking for a Winter hibernation spot.:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,824 ✭✭✭Qualitymark

Maybe give the bed an oul' wash too, if you haven't?

Advertisement