Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Hardware Discussion Thread

• 22-05-2014 11:24am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

As per the title folks, any posts related to Xbox One or 360 hardware can go in here. This is as a result of the locking of the general discussion thread, we will need a place for general hardware chat etc.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,436 ✭✭✭FAILSAFE 00

tony1980 wrote: »
    I wouldn't say so but it sold out fairly quick the last time I saw it last week, I just bought Black Flag as it was sold out last week at the same price when I bought Unity. I paid a total of 40 euro for both now so I am delighted with that!

Sweat Jesus :eek:

I am going to need a monster external hard drive now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,133 ✭✭✭GottaGetGatt

Sweat Jesus :eek:

I am going to need a monster external hard drive now.

Yep 2 new games and no hard drive to play them on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭Stone Deaf 4evr

Yep 2 new games and no hard drive to play them on

my drive is 99.6% full.

removing games to install GTA was tough. BTW, does anyone know where your save data is kept? Some games have a file showing up - Trials Evolution, Battlefield 4, and others like destiny dont show any?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

my drive is 99.6% full.

removing games to install GTA was tough. BTW, does anyone know where your save data is kept? Some games have a file showing up - Trials Evolution, Battlefield 4, and others like destiny dont show any?

The one on the drive is just a cached copy, they are cloud saves these days, if in any doubt always fire up the game before you delete anything to see if it tries to sync data if maybe the xbox was off line the last time you played the game etc. You can ignore and leave that data on the drive anyway as it's puny in the grand scheme of it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,207 ✭✭✭maximoose

Anyone had issues with the d-pad and left stick on the controller having a mind of their own?

Eg flicking through menus, if I press down on the d-pad it will start to go infinitely up. Or playing a game, standing still not touching controller, and game will start to move forward slowly on it's own.

Contacted support this morning but I'd have to pay for postage and then be controllerless for two weeks waiting on the replacement. Pfft. Rather spend a little more and just get a new one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,431 ✭✭✭rottie 11

maximoose wrote: »
    Anyone had issues with the d-pad and left stick on the controller having a mind of their own?

Eg flicking through menus, if I press down on the d-pad it will start to go infinitely up. Or playing a game, standing still not touching controller, and game will start to move forward slowly on it's own.

Contacted support this morning but I'd have to pay for postage and then be controllerless for two weeks waiting on the replacement. Pfft. Rather spend a little more and just get a new one.

Had the same problem with mine , got onto support and they told me send it in. It was free to post it, when they receive it they will send me a new one

Had to buy a new control as i had none ha.

If your going to buy one id still send the broken one in for replacement

How long did it take to get back? He told me I'd have to pay for the postage myself the chancer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,796 ✭✭✭sweetie

maximoose wrote:

id bring it back to where I bought it first. or contact the vendor if online.

It was amazon, just had a chat with them and a new controller on the way for free! Result :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭tony1980

It was amazon, just had a chat with them and a new controller on the way for free! Result :)

Amazon have superb customer service!

• Advertisement

tony1980 wrote: »
    Amazon have superb customer service!

Yeah, well impressed. No questions asked, just told me to place an order and it'd be free. Damn it, should have gone for a special edition controller :pac:

They emailed a return label for the controller, but the email also said:
    I noticed that you are using a Parcel Motel address so you may be in the Republic of Ireland. Because the parcel was dispatched to the UK, we won't be able to generate a
    pre- paid An Post label. If it is inconvenient to return the controller to us, then please dispose of it.

I love amazon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,512 ✭✭✭runawaybishop

If I were you I'd get this deal from Argos

€399 for console and GTA V
    Then get Assassin's Creed for €30 on gamedealdaily.com
    Pick up second hand Kinect for ~€30.

Get the console version without the kinect as you can pick the kinect up, ~new, from CEX for like 30 euro.

There cant be too many kinects left lying around at this stage i'd imagine?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,799 ✭✭✭MiskyBoyy

Get the console version without the kinect as you can pick the kinect up, ~new, from CEX for like 30 euro.

There's only 1 kinect left in the whole country, in Cork.

nSQ4XZF.png

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,852 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

If I were you I'd get this deal from Argos

€399 for console and GTA V
    Then get Assassin's Creed for €30 on gamedealdaily.com
    Pick up second hand Kinect for ~€30.

Cheers, but I already cleared GTA V on the 360 last year. Not really interested in playing it again. Love the look of Halo and the Assassin Creed games.

Could trade GTA in straight away so and save even more, proper bang for buck!

Although it does look like 2nd hand Kinects are short in supply now.

You get €45 hard cash in CeX for GTA V if you want to get i and sell it on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,737 ✭✭✭Hococop

There cant be too many kinects left lying around at this stage i'd imagine?

You just have to check every few hours and one might pop up online

Got mine from them Tuesday from the site, only complaint was the delivery of the kinect

No box
    No bubble wrap
    Its was just wrapped in black cling film
    Lucky enough the kinect was in perfect condition

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,431 ✭✭✭rottie 11

How long did it take to get back? He told me I'd have to pay for the postage myself the chancer.

I stil didnt get it back, i posted it only a week ago. I got an email from ups with a lable that i had to print and stick on the parcel and then handed it into ups and didnt pay a cent

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,512 ✭✭✭runawaybishop

MiskyBoyy wrote: »
    There's only 1 kinect left in the whole country, in Cork.

nSQ4XZF.png

They pop up fairly regularly. No point spending 100 yoyo if 30 will do it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Can anyone recommend a good external HD? My internal one is already filled and I'm having to delete stuff already. Thinking that 2gb would be good but would depend on the price.

Can anyone recommend a good external HD? My internal one is already filled and I'm having to delete stuff already. Thinking that 2gb would be good but would depend on the price.

How much you thinking of spending?

Would like to keep it under €100 but could go to €120 or so depending.

Would like to keep it under €100 but could go to €120 depending.

You mean TB btw, you even had me searching 2GB :D

Would you prefer it to be a 2.5" or would a 3.5" non portable external hard drive do you?

Something like this, I have this myself. 3TB, It's right job :D

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Samsung-Station-External-Desktop-Drive/dp/B00C9TEOCA/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1416500169&sr=8-3&keywords=3tb+external+hard+drive

€94 including delivery :)

That looks perfect, thanks a lot, will order it this weekend.

You mean TB btw, you even had me searching 2GB :D

Would you prefer it to be a 2.5" or would a 3.5" non portable external hard drive do you?

Something like this, I have this myself. 3TB, It's right job :D

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Samsung-Station-External-Desktop-Drive/dp/B00C9TEOCA/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1416500169&sr=8-3&keywords=3tb+external+hard+drive

€94 including delivery :)

MiskyBoyy, what do you do when you turn off your console? do you plug out the drive or does it go into sleep mode? I only ask because I need one myself and I like to leave the console in "quick start" mode if possible.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,133 ✭✭✭GottaGetGatt

That looks perfect, thanks a lot, will order it this weekend.
    picked up a portable 2tb seagate on amazon for €80 last night.

Argos are getting better these days
    they have this for 89 if you dont want to wait for amazon
    http://www.argos.ie/static/Product/partNumber/1296215/Trail/searchtext%3E2TB+HARD+DRIVE.htm

MiskyBoyy, what do you do when you turn off your console? do you plug out the drive or does it go into sleep mode? I only ask because I need one myself and I like to leave the console in "quick start" mode if possible.

I just leave it plugged in the whole time. There's an option on Xbox> Settings>Power and Startup to "When Xbox if off, turn off storage" if you want the HDD to turn off when your xbox is off. That really only applies to 2.5" portable hard drives tho as they get their power from the xbox usb port. The ones listed above have their own separate plug to power them and go into sleep mode automatically when the disk hasn't been used in a few minutes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,522 ✭✭✭dor83

Got one of those a few months ago, does the job perfectly for me as I prefer to have it only use power when the xbox is in use.

Argos are getting better these days
    they have this for 89 if you dont want to wait for amazon
    http://www.argos.ie/static/Product/partNumber/1296215/Trail/searchtext%3E2TB+HARD+DRIVE.htm

I'm terrible when it comes to computer stuff. If I got one of these do I just connect it to the xbox and just continue like normal with the extra space being added to the xbox one hard drive space or would I have to do something to set it up?

• Advertisement

I'm terrible when it comes to computer stuff. If I got one of these do I just connect it to the xbox and just continue like normal with the extra space being added to the xbox one hard drive space or would I have to do something to set it up?

Once you plug it into the Xbox a notification will pop on screen asking you to format it if you want to use o for games storage. Once you do that it will work as normal pretty much.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,796 ✭✭✭sweetie

maximoose wrote:
    It was amazon, just had a chat with them and a new controller on the way for free! Result 

told ya! now ye have a spare for Fifa etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,393 ✭✭✭Fingleberries

sweetie wrote: »
    told ya! now ye have a spare for Fifa etc.
    And give the bandy one to your opponent :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,528 ✭✭✭Lucious Sweet

And give the bandy one to your opponent :)

Or just keep it as a spare because the other one is liable to hit the wall if you play a lot of FIFA :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,747 ✭✭✭✭wes

Good guide from Eurogamers digital foundry:

The Xbox One hard drive upgrade guide

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭ciaran75

Hi,
    Has anyone else noticed the Kinect voice no longer works if you have your region set to Ireland. If you switch back to UK everything is fine again.
    Was on with xbox support and they had not heard there was an issue.
    Cheers,
    Ciaran

I have mine set to UK for the TV tuner, but I used to have region set to ireland and voice to english UK , both settings are side by side there in the settings app.

Unless the preview program messing with it ? Are you in the preview dash program?

no, not in preview program.

I've set it back to UK but you now no longer the TV listings in the one guide which is a pain

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,425 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Mine is set to Ireland and works fine.

thanks Mickeroo, wonder what is different.
    friend of mine had to set his to UK also.

ciaran75 wrote: »
    no, not in preview program.

I've set it back to UK but you now no longer the TV listings in the one guide which is a pain

As I said I have mine set to UK so I can use the USB TV tuner and I can see listings in the one guide, if you have to set it to UK run the TV setup wizard (you might have to clear this in settings 1st) when it asks for a post code use Newry think its BT53 maybe, can't recall for sure.

The only thing is it doesn't list the programs for irish channels that way, but does list the channels themselves and I can voice switch to them.

Are you saying when you go to Settings > System > Location > Language & Location , you can't or don't have an option to set spoken language to English when location is set to ireland???? There are 2 language boxes there, the 1st box is text language on the console, 2nd is location and 3rd box is the one you need to set to English UK

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 118 ✭✭Hears6

Probably the wrong place to post this but any one use this drive as an external drive for their xbox ?
    http://www.argos.ie/static/Product/partNumber/1443673/Trail/searchtext%3EEXTERNAL+HARDDRIVE.htm

Hears6 wrote: »
    Probably the wrong place to post this but any one use this drive as an external drive for their xbox ?
    http://www.argos.ie/static/Product/partNumber/1443673/Trail/searchtext%3EEXTERNAL+HARDDRIVE.htm

Not a thing wrong with it at all :)

It would do the job very nicely, they also have the portable version for about a fiver extra which is a smaller form factor but same storage space and doesn't need to take up an extra socket. Takes power straight from the USB port on the Xbox.

Just also note that they're both 5400rpm which wouldn't be as fast loading games as a 7200rpm drive but it would be just about as fast as the current hard drive that's actually in the Xbox.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 118 ✭✭Hears6

Not a thing wrong with it at all :)

It would do the job very nicely, they also have the portable version for about a fiver extra which is a smaller form factor but same storage space and doesn't need to take up an extra socket. Takes power straight from the USB port on the Xbox.

Just also note that they're both 5400rpm which wouldn't be as fast loading games as a 7200rpm drive but it would be just about as fast as the current hard drive that's actually in the Xbox.

Weird then as when I go to set it up, its just popping up as a media device rather than a storage device, and tbh speed isn't everything for me atm. :D

Hears6 wrote: »
    Weird then as when I go to set it up, its just popping up as a media device rather than a storage device, and tbh speed isn't everything for me atm. :D

You'll have to format it to use it for game storage. You won't be able to use it as a media storage once you do this and anything that you have on the hard drive will be wiped.

go to Settings>System>Manage Storage, choose the external drive you want to format, and select Format.

You should then be able to use it for games storage :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement