Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Hardware Discussion Thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,799 ✭✭✭MiskyBoyy

Lamposts wrote: »
    we seriously need to become bros and gameshare! <3

Hahaha a few of them are already thanks to game sharing ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 316 ✭✭ROAAAR

MiskyBoyy wrote: »
    Voice commands work in Ireland for a while now. I only posted this in a similar thread earlier.

Oh thanks, got it on now :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,431 ✭✭✭rottie 11

• Registered Users Posts: 5,429 ✭✭✭FAILSAFE 00

Yes and you can get it cheaper in Argos.
    http://www.argos.ie/static/Product/partNumber/1443673

And is that the one you just plug into usb port and thats it?

rottie 11 wrote: »
    And is that the one you just plug into usb port and thats it?

No it's not, my mistake.

I meant to post this portable hard drive which will work by just plugging in the USB.

Argos

No it's not, my mistake.

I meant to post this portable hard drive which will work by just plugging in the USB.

Argos

Thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,286 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

Thinking of getting this as i have also got a £10 off voucher for Argos

http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/partNumber/2388421.htm

Thinking of getting this as i have also got a £10 off voucher for Argos

http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/partNumber/2388421.htm

Make sure and spend that extra 1p to get another £10 voucher! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 557 ✭✭✭-Toppy-

So my xbone is giving me a little bit of grief, nothing massive though

So the problem is that when I insert a new disk it does not read the disk at all,
    take it out put it back in same thing, take it out and put it again it works fine

So obviously not ideal however I have a feeling this is just going to lead to an eventually dead xbone

So just wondering what exactly is the situation with replacements, I presume I do it with Xbox rather than with gamestop? any suggestions or comments

Thanks
    Toppy

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,563 ✭✭✭✭peteeeed

-Toppy- wrote: »
    So my xbone is giving me a little bit of grief, nothing massive though

So the problem is that when I insert a new disk it does not read the disk at all,
    take it out put it back in same thing, take it out and put it again it works fine

So obviously not ideal however I have a feeling this is just going to lead to an eventually dead xbone

So just wondering what exactly is the situation with replacements, I presume I do it with Xbox rather than with gamestop? any suggestions or comments

Thanks
    Toppy

have you tried pressing the xbox button for 10 secs? flushing the ram

Ah yeah loads of times I have done the hard reset, (am a member of the preview program so have had to do it a few times as a result :))
    There definitely is some form of tray loading issue going with my xbone

Quick question; Is your Xbox plugged in directly to the power source or do you have it connected to a Power Surge adaptor?

Ya I saw Calex's post about it the other day, I can definitely switch it to be directly plugged into a socket, ya think it will make a difference?

-Toppy- wrote: »
    Ya I saw Calex's post about it the other day, I can definitely switch it to be directly plugged into a socket, ya think it will make a difference?

It causes stability issues if it's plugged into an adaptor due to the Xbox 1 having it's own surge protection. Some issues with power regulation.

I for one noticed a big difference in the general response times in menu navigation etc..

Never know it's worth a try.

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭ADarkKnight88

I just had this problem and they sent me a replacement/ refurbished model. Chat with them on support.

I just had this problem and they sent me a replacement/ refurbished model. Chat with them on support.

How long did it take ADarKKnight?
    I dont really want to be without mine too long

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭ADarkKnight88

They sent me the replacement just under two weeks ago, came three days after I contacted them, and I just sent back mine there. They put a hold charge on your credit card until they recieve yours back.
    If you dont want the hold charge you can send your broken one first and wait for the replacement, which means you'll be without it for a while.
    It was a simple process in the end to be fair.

They sent me the replacement just under two weeks ago, came three days after I contacted them, and I just sent back mine there. They put a hold charge on your credit card until they recieve yours back.
    If you dont want the hold charge you can send your broken one first and wait for the replacement, which means you'll be without it for a while.
    It was a simple process in the end to be fair.

Perfect thats what I was looking for
    Cheers!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭tony1980

Lads, all the HDMI ports have died on my TV, I have tried for 2 days to sort the issue but have had no luck yet. There is a VGA connection on the TV also, can I use a HDMI to VGA for the Xbox One and where would be the best place to get one?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭Stone Deaf 4evr

tony1980 wrote: »
    Lads, all the HDMI ports have died on my TV, I have tried for 2 days to sort the issue but have had no luck yet. There is a VGA connection on the TV also, can I use a HDMI to VGA for the Xbox One and where would be the best place to get one?

I dont know if it'll work canto, but the handiest place I've found for any of that stuff if you needed it in a hurry was maplin. ebay will undoubtedly be cheaper.

of course, its a great excuse to buy a new super dooper tv.....

eep, and after a quick google, it looks like you'll have to spend the guts of 70 quid anyway. maybe that tv is a better option than I first thought

Oh well, looks like its back to sharing the other TV with the wife and kids, that's my gaming finished until about March when I can afford a new TV as I won't get a look in with the other TV :pac:

The scart is still working so I have just realised the wall bracket for this TV can hold up to a 65 inch, the TV in the other room is an LG 50 inch Plasma, I am going to swap the Tv's around as SKY will work using a scart lead on the one with the faulty HDMI ports. Nice one, I get my 50 inch plasma back!

Now to break the news to herself about swapping the Tv's around, i'm sure she will be fine about it :D

The HDMI - VGA converters are hit and miss on the consoles.

Is there any Component video inputs in the TV?

The scart is still working so I have just realised the wall bracket for this TV can hold up to a 65 inch, the TV in the other room is an LG 50 inch Plasma, I am going to swap the Tv's around as SKY will work using a scart lead on the one with the faulty HDMI ports. Nice one, I get my 50 inch plasma back!

Now to break the news to herself about swapping the Tv's around, i'm sure she will be fine about it :D

Tony - What do ya mean its blurry, looks perfect to me :pac:

Blurry-TV.jpg

• Advertisement

The HDMI - VGA converters are hit and miss on the consoles.

Is there any Component video inputs in the TV?

There is actually, forgot about that. Will HDMI to composite work and would Maplin have these?

Sounds like I would need some sort of converter box to do this and they look expensive!

ha! I reclaimed the 50" plasma when I got the xbox one, Allow me to set the scene - the time is 1:00am, I'm back from the midnight launch at gamestop and everything is unboxed and joined up, and the system update has been done.

I had it plugged into my 32" that i used for xbox 360, went to display options and set the xbox to 1080p.

cue black screen and no amount of restarting, jiggling wires could get the display back up and running so I figured it was a tv problem. The bewilderment on my wifes face as I wrestled the 50" plasma through 4 rooms nearly putting my back out in the process. sweating like a lunatic that my brand new console was dead on arrival.

it turns out that my tv was only capable of 1080i, and unlike the 360, the one didnt revert back to the previous resolution when you fail to confirm a change of settings.

I can (kinda) see the funny side of it now.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,402 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

MOD NOTE: Merged in the "Xbox One Replacement" thread

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,830 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

hey folks

whats the best external harddrives out there to work with the X1? I reckon 1TB would be enough, but would it be only a few euro more to push to 2TB or even 4TB?

Thanks,
    Trilla

• Advertisement

Trilla wrote: »
    hey folks

whats the best external harddrives out there to work with the X1? I reckon 1TB would be enough, but would it be only a few euro more to push to 2TB or even 4TB?

Thanks,
    Trilla

I got a 2Tb from argos recently, I think the 1TB was only a tenner cheaper, €77 (for the 2TB)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,207 ✭✭✭miralize

Anyone know where I can get a cheap x1 controller?

miralize wrote: »
    Anyone know where I can get a cheap x1 controller?

last one I got was (I think) €35 from littlewoods.

i remember seeing the titanfall one for 40 in my local xtravison about a month or so back as well, by the time i'd convinced myself I wanted needed it , It was gone:mad:

Be worth a trawl through the bargain alerts thread in here as well.

I got a 2Tb from argos recently, I think the 1TB was only a tenner cheaper, €77 (for the 2TB)

http://www.argos.ie/static/Product/partNumber/1443673/Trail/searchtext%3EHARD+DRIVE.htm

thanks man!

thats a desktop drive, theres one that works off usb as well.

it was this one, but it was on sale at €77

http://www.argos.ie/static/Product/partNumber/2489935/Trail/searchtext%3EEXTERNAL+HARD+DRIVE.htm

thats a desktop drive, theres one that works off usb as well.

it was this one, but it was on sale at €77

http://www.argos.ie/static/Product/partNumber/2489935/Trail/searchtext%3EEXTERNAL+HARD+DRIVE.htm

Yeah I was going to suggest that also until I seen it had gone up a good bit in price.

Basically op, in case you're not familiar with them. The portable HDD doesn't need to be plugged into an electrical socket. All it needs is to be plugged into the xbox via usb which it will take it's power from. Whereas the one you linked is a bigger form factor "non portable" hard drive which DOES have to be plugged into an electrical socket.

MiskyBoyy wrote: »
    Yeah I was going to suggest that also until I seen it had gone up a good bit in price.

Basically op, in case you're not familiar with them. The portable HDD doesn't need to be plugged into an electrical socket. All it needs is to be plugged into the xbox via usb which it will take it's power from. Whereas the one you linked is a bigger form factor "non portable" hard drive which DOES have to be plugged into an electrical socket.

But it should still work right? Just a case of plug and play?

But it should still work right? Just a case of plug and play?

Yup both will do the exact same job just 1 is bulkier and requires an electrical socket and the other doesn't.

• Registered Users Posts: 316 ✭✭ROAAAR

Is there any advantage to HDD you need to plug into an electrical socket? Are they generally faster or anything like that?

ROAAAR wrote: »
    Is there any advantage to HDD you need to plug into an electrical socket? Are they generally faster or anything like that?

If you get a 7200rpm HDD it will be a little bit faster at loading games and such yes but the one linked above that you plug into the electrical socket is 5400rpm so no difference between that and the portable hdd at all really loading time wise.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭Browning

In need of some help. I am having an issue with Kinect on the XBOXONE. It does not seem to be picking up voice commands. The in game voice commands in FIFA are working fine but when I try XBOX Home for example there is no joy ? Any ideas, I have completed the basic calibration settings a number of ideas. Cheers.

Browning wrote: »
    In need of some help. I am having an issue with Kinect on the XBOXONE. It does not seem to be picking up voice commands. The in game voice commands in FIFA are working fine but when I try XBOX Home for example there is no joy ? Any ideas, I have completed the basic calibration settings a number of ideas. Cheers.

In Settings>System>Language & Location make sure you have 'Location' set to Ireland or United Kingdom & 'Language' & 'Spoken Language' set to (English).

Got my portable hd , plugged it in and nothing????

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,553 ✭✭✭✭Copper_pipe

Have you formatted it correctly?

Is it USB 3.0?
    * what's the brand and model?

Have you formatted it correctly?

Nope lol how i do that?

Is it USB 3.0?

I got the one you gave me the link to few weeks back

Its seagate 2tb

JUst checked the box and yes its usb 3.0

Is the drive showing when you go to settings >> storage?

• Advertisement

Is the drive showing when you go to settings >> storage?

No its just showing the standard hardrive

Advertisement