Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Hardware Discussion Thread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,429 ✭✭✭FAILSAFE 00

rottie 11 wrote: »
    No its just showing the standard hardrive
    Plug the hard drive into a PC to see if it works there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,340 ✭✭✭deco nate

Got my portable hd , plugged it in and nothing????
    Is it USB 3?also xbox live is down because some kids
    Want to make a name for themselves
    Edit:you need to format it in the settings, are you sure you bought the right one?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,431 ✭✭✭rottie 11

I unplugged it and plugged it back in and it worked. Thanks for the replies

But is there anyway to combine the 2 hardrives, like when i go to manage store in system settings the 2 hds are seperate.

Would prefer to just combine them into one if possible

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 315 ✭✭Sasso

I have an external hard drive at home, unused yet, and want to know if it will work on Xbox One please. My son thinking of buying games on cdkeys.com etc and getting digital downloads as cheaper.

My question, HD Is Toshiba 1TB USB 2.0 and no doubt will hold loads data but Xbox.com says to use a USB 3.0......what's the difference and will the one I have work for game downloads for him ????.

Thanks advance

Moved to Xbox.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

As far as I know, the Xbox One needs usb 3.0 devices & older ones won't be compatible. Not 100% on that though, perhaps someone can clarify

• Closed Accounts Posts: 445 ✭✭Pedro Monscooch

Myrddin wrote: »
    As far as I know, the Xbox One needs usb 3.0 devices & older ones won't be compatible. Not 100% on that though, perhaps someone can clarify

You're spot on there. Delighted I picked one up. No more deleting games to save space for a long time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,510 ✭✭✭Shred

Yeah unfortunately an external HDD needs to be USB 3.0 and have a minimum capacity of 256GB. I got this one a few weeks ago and it's spot on http://www.argos.ie/static/Product/partNumber/2489935/Trail/searchtext%3EUSB+3+EXTERNAL+HARD+DRIVE.htm

Shred wrote: »
    Yeah unfortunately an external HDD needs to be USB 3.0 and have a minimum capacity of 256GB. I got this one a few weeks ago and it's spot on http://www.argos.ie/static/Product/partNumber/2489935/Trail/searchtext%3EUSB+3+EXTERNAL+HARD+DRIVE.htm

Are any of these external hdds passively powered by any chance?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,528 ✭✭✭Lucious Sweet

Are any of these external hdds passively powered by any chance?

Not sure what you mean but this portable HDD just plug it into console and away you go. No need for external power supply. Same with most if not all usb 3.0 portable HDDs

• Advertisement

Not sure what you mean but this portable HDD just plug it into console and away you go. No need for external power supply. Same with most if not all usb 3.0 portable HDDs

Yep that's what I meant, passively powered ie powered by the device the drive is connected to & no need for a psu. Hmm, that's great so might have to check out buying one of these :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,528 ✭✭✭Lucious Sweet

Yep that's what I meant, passively powered ie powered by the device the drive is connected to & no need for a psu. Hmm, that's great so might have to check out buying one of these :)

They are great. I have two hooked up. One formatted for game storage and the other has movies and music.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,376 ✭✭✭The_Captain

I've been connecting to Live by tethering the 360 to my laptops wifi but the NAT settings only ever seem to be strict or moderate and it's pissing me off.

Are the wireless adapters any use? I don't want to spend 50 quid on something that's going to drop connections or just run like tar

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 624 ✭✭✭NeitherJohn

Get a set of homeplugs I'd say.

Wired! I have these ones http://www.argos.ie/static/Product/partNumber/1397640/Trail/searchtext%3EHOMEPLUG.htm

Plug one end near your router and the other one near your xbox and string ethernet cable between them and the sockets.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,799 ✭✭✭MiskyBoyy

Wired! I have these ones http://www.argos.ie/static/Product/partNumber/1397640/Trail/searchtext%3EHOMEPLUG.htm

Plug one end near your router and the other one near your xbox and string ethernet cable between them and the sockets.

The xbox wifi adapter is fine but I'd definitely go for the powerline adapter/ home plugs any day Captain!

Are these apartment friendly do you know? Not for me (I've cat5e in the house so it gets the job done), but I know someone who is using wireless in an apartment & the speeds, even downloading demos etc, are painfully slow. Will powerlines work in an apartment, given the way the electricity can be wired etc?

Are these apartment friendly do you know? Not for me (I've cat5e in the house so it gets the job done), but I know someone who is using wireless in an apartment & the speeds, even downloading demos etc, are painfully slow. Will powerlines work in an apartment, given the way the electricity can be wired etc?

They worked fine for me when I lived in my apartment. Central board was a good 50 feet or more away from my apartment and was using home plugs to go from sittingroom to bedroom. Worked perfect. Only problem I had was I had UPC 150mb at the time and for some reason I could get no more than 50mb with the homeplugs, same with my friend who has them in his apartment now. Even tho they're rated for 500mb etc.

Apart from that, they're perfect. No extra ping on any test I did or anything.

MiskyBoyy wrote: »
    They worked fine for me when I lived in my apartment. Central board was a good 50 feet or more away from my apartment and was using home plugs to go from sittingroom to bedroom. Worked perfect. Only problem I had was I had UPC 150mb at the time and for some reason I could get no more than 50mb with the homeplugs, same with my friend who has them in his apartment now. Even tho they're rated for 500mb etc.

Apart from that, they're perfect. No extra ping on any test I did or anything.

Ah cool, cheers. Even 50Mb would be a stark improvement, I'll suggest them anyway cheers :)

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,402 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

Those numbers that they advertise are basically fiction, but they are still faster than wireless in my opinion/experience, and way more reliable.

How does this work?

I plug one into the wall by the router, connect it via ethernet to the router.
    I plug one into the wall by the xbox, connect it to the xbox via ethernet cable.
    The signal will transfer across the power lines in my house from the router to the xbox?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 624 ✭✭✭NeitherJohn

Got it in one.

They do say don't plug them into extension sockets as it will hinder the signal but that's how they work. Signal goes over the house power lines.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭Stone Deaf 4evr

How does this work?

I plug one into the wall by the router, connect it via ethernet to the router.
    I plug one into the wall by the xbox, connect it to the xbox via ethernet cable.
    The signal will transfer across the power lines in my house from the router to the xbox?

exactly. I use a set for a tv box thats located outside of wifi range and its great. If sockets are in short supply, a few quid more will get you a pass through version

http://www.amazon.co.uk/TP-Link-TL-PA251KIT-Multi-Streaming-Powerline-Starter/dp/B005KTM2G6/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1420479245&sr=8-1&keywords=homeplugs+pass+through

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭diceyd

Hi guys,i dont know where else to post,i cant play multiplayer on any game on xbox360,ive 2 months left on gold so its not that,internet connection is grand,any help would be great,thanks.

diceyd wrote: »
    Hi guys,i dont know where else to post,i cant play multiplayer on any game on xbox360,ive 2 months left on gold so its not that,internet connection is grand,any help would be great,thanks.

How are you connecting to the internet and have you been able to play online with the same connection before?

Wired connection,i can get into game lobby but thats it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 557 ✭✭✭-Toppy-

Reddit were reporting issues with live earlier

http://www.reddit.com/r/xboxone (think its the 3rd post down)

diceyd wrote: »
    Wired connection,i can get into game lobby but thats it

You can connect to Xbox Live fine?

Probably a NAT issue, but if it's an old/unpopular game, there just might not be anyone else playing it at the same time

Its advanced warfare,came back on,thanks anyway mate.

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭gizabeer

Got it in one.

They do say don't plug them into extension sockets as it will hinder the signal but that's how they work. Signal goes over the house power lines.

Hi , I want to get these for my house , is it a set for each room that ill have to get ? Its for console and decoder in sitting room and a console in the kitchen ?

Thanks !

• Advertisement

gizabeer wrote: »
    Hi , I want to get these for my house , is it a set for each room that ill have to get ? Its for console and decoder in sitting room and a console in the kitchen ?

Thanks !

No, you will only need 1 by your router, and then as many as you want feeding from that one plugged into different sockets around the house. Argos only sell them in pairs but you can buy the pair and a single one on Amazon.

Pair: http://www.amazon.co.uk/TP-Link-PA411KIT-Powerline-Adapter-Starter/dp/B0084Y9N3O/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1420814159&sr=8-1&keywords=powerline

Single one: http://www.amazon.co.uk/TP-Link-TL-PA411-AV500-Powerline-Adapter/dp/B0084Y9N4I/ref=sr_1_8?ie=UTF8&qid=1420814159&sr=8-8&keywords=powerline

What you can also do is add a similar product of theirs but that also has wifi output built in, to the far side of your house too: http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00ECBROCK?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o04_s00
    This one also has 2 ethernet ports coming off of it as well as the wifi extender as opposed to the 1 ethernet port on the ones above.

Deadly , thanks

No, you will only need 1 by your router, and then as many as you want feeding from that one plugged into different sockets around the house. Argos only sell them in pairs but you can buy the pair and a single one on Amazon.

Pair: http://www.amazon.co.uk/TP-Link-PA411KIT-Powerline-Adapter-Starter/dp/B0084Y9N3O/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1420814159&sr=8-1&keywords=powerline

Single one: http://www.amazon.co.uk/TP-Link-TL-PA411-AV500-Powerline-Adapter/dp/B0084Y9N4I/ref=sr_1_8?ie=UTF8&qid=1420814159&sr=8-8&keywords=powerline

What you can also do is add a similar product of theirs but that also has wifi output built in, to the far side of your house too: http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00ECBROCK?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o04_s00
    This one also has 2 ethernet ports coming off of it as well as the wifi extender as opposed to the 1 ethernet port on the ones above.

One last question , would the nano version pair with the pass thru version so I could use the pass thru in the hall and the nanos in the kitchen and sitting room ? thanks im advance :)

gizabeer wrote: »
    One last question , would the nano version pair with the pass thru version so I could use the pass thru in the hall and the nanos in the kitchen and sitting room ? thanks im advance :)

As far as I know all TP Link's pair with tp links no problem.

Also it is recommended to use them directly into an empty socket and not an extension lead/ multi gang etc but I have both my nanos plugged into gangways and can't tell any difference but it could vary depending on circumstances.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,431 ✭✭✭rottie 11

So im going replacing the lazer on my 360 and I been watching youtube tutorial videos . Some say theres a ball of solder on the new lazer that you have to remove and other dont mention it? Should I remove it ?

So im going replacing the lazer on my 360 and I been watching youtube tutorial videos . Some say theres a ball of solder on the new lazer that you have to remove and other dont mention it? Should I remove it ?

Id say you might be better off posting in the console modding and repairs section,

• Advertisement

LIGHTNING wrote: »
    Yes they do, I have two different sets in my place two 500 and two 200 versions. If you do have any issues make sure to plug them directly into the wall sockets, some extensions strips with surge protection can cause issues with them.

2 months and 10 days later, better late than never haha :D

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,402 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

Controller refresh is coming, with included headphone jack.

See here.

That's a fair bit of a size difference all the same! Especially with the power brick gone too.

LIOmPI3.jpg

Could it have been smaller again if they stuck with an external psu I wonder :confused:

Would it not also add to heat being internal? I'm sure it has a fan but then that could = noise too over time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 642 ✭✭✭qrx

Design your own custom colours on Xbox One S (for those with too much money)

http://m.windowscentral.com/get-xbox-one-s-black-or-any-color-you-want-colorwares-custom-service

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,744 ✭✭✭kleefarr

Buyer beware...

From the FAQ on the ColorWare page: "Our customization process voids the original manufacturer's warranty."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 642 ✭✭✭qrx

Is it normal for the power brick to make a whirring noise? Seems to vary in intensity, I'm guessing it has a fan in it?

qrx wrote:
    Is it normal for the power brick to make a whirring noise? Seems to vary in intensity, I'm guessing it has a fan in it?

Yes it has a fan in it and I've also noticed mine a lot more over the past few days for some reason.

Yes it has a fan in it and I've also noticed mine a lot more over the past few days for some reason.

Give it a good blast with a can of compressed air. should eliminate dust as a reason it's gotten louder.

CatInABox wrote: »
    Give it a good blast with a can of compressed air. should eliminate dust as a reason it's gotten louder.

I mean. When I walk into my cave I can hear it over the past few days, even when the Xbox isn't on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,510 ✭✭✭runawaybishop

I mean. When I walk into my cave I can hear it over the past few days, even when the Xbox isn't on.

It's on the way out. Was it blocked in or covered in any way?

It's on the way out. Was it blocked in or covered in any way?

Nope. Sitting out in the open on top of a desk with as much ventilation as it could need. I have another I could try but I'm not bothered really. Just thought I'd mention it when qrx asked.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,510 ✭✭✭runawaybishop

Nope. Sitting out in the open on top of a desk with as much ventilation as it could need. I have another I could try but I'm not bothered really. Just thought I'd mention it when qrx asked.

Yeah I have had the odd few start whining also but they would have been abused so I wasn't surprised. That said I think only one actually failed, the rest are still chugging along, albeit noisily.

I would advise swapping it out though, just in case.

On it's way out you say? Sounds like a perfect excuse for a sneaky Xbox One S upgrade! :D

qrx wrote: »

just in case you havent checked it, they're supposed to be plugged straight into the wall, not into an extension lead or 4 plug adapter yolk.

• Advertisement
Advertisement