Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Hardware Discussion Thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,510 ✭✭✭runawaybishop

just in case you havent checked it, they're supposed to be plugged straight into the wall, not into an extension lead or 4 plug adapter yolk.

They can go into a power brick or extension, but said device must not be crap and overloaded.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 642 ✭✭✭qrx

just in case you havent checked it, they're supposed to be plugged straight into the wall, not into an extension lead or 4 plug adapter yolk.

That could well be it, I have it plugged into an adaptor. Will try that out later.

It's more of a whirring fan noise though than anything else. It may be perfectly normal but I've just really started to notice it recently. I initially thought it was the box itself but whenever I put my ear up close to it the noise went away. Had me confused for a while :)
    CatInABox wrote:
    Give it a good blast with a can of compressed air. should eliminate dust as a reason it's gotten louder.
    Could well just be dirt. Now to find a can of compressed air. Suppose a hoover would do the trick too.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,402 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

qrx wrote: »
    Could well just be dirt. Now to find a can of compressed air. Suppose a hoover would do the trick too.

It would, but it's not recommended at all really. Hoovers are a source of static electricity, and can fry electronics. There's also the possibility of the hoover turn the fan too fast/in the wrong direction, but that's not as big an issue.

After using a can of compressed air, give it a few minutes to "dry out" as well, as there's a small (very small) amount of water vapour in them.

You can usually get them in a stationery shop.

• Registered Users Posts: 573 ✭✭✭Snakeweasel

I'm buying my first hard drive for my xbox one (finally got good broadband so joined ea access) and I was wondering if people think that a 2TB hard drive is still big enough? I see that the official xbox one is now offering 4TB and say that can hold over 100 games, would a 2TB hard drive really hold over 50 games at that rate? That would be more than enough for me

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,247 ✭✭✭Max Mafioso

Would depend on the games, I have a 2TB i got when i owned the 500GB XO and its got about 100 games on it

Would depend on the games, I have a 2TB i got when i owned the 500GB XO and its got about 100 games on it

Well thats encouraging! I was looking at the list of games in the vault and I could easily see myself downloading at least 10 of them and then you have games with gold every month too!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,207 ✭✭✭maximoose

I have 119 games installed, and 718GB total free (500GB internal and 2GB external)

I'm buying my first hard drive for my xbox one (finally got good broadband so joined ea access) and I was wondering if people think that a 2TB hard drive is still big enough? I see that the official xbox one is now offering 4TB and say that can hold over 100 games, would a 2TB hard drive really hold over 50 games at that rate? That would be more than enough for me
    It also depends on your playing style. Do you play multiple games on the go? Do you like to go back and revisit old games? Or do you play to completion and then you're done?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,744 ✭✭✭kleefarr

Bear in mind though, that once you have a game downloaded you can uninstall it and it will remain available to install again when you wish to play it again.
    This is what I do with most of the Games for Gold. Once tried I uninstall them if I don't want to play them and they remain in the download section as available to install again.

But you probably knew that. ;)

• Advertisement

Went for a 2TB seagate that was on sale in argos. With the length it takes to download a game there is no chance I will be deleting them!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,095 ✭✭✭✭omb0wyn5ehpij9

Went for a 2TB seagate that was on sale in argos. With the length it takes to download a game there is no chance I will be deleting them!

This one?

I was contemplating the 1TB version, but for the sake of an extra 25 quid, might go for the bigger version

There's this 3TB one on Amazon for about €98

BDJW wrote: »
    This one?

I was contemplating the 1TB version, but for the sake of an extra 25 quid, might go for the bigger version

Thats the one. Can't wait to fill it up with EA access now!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,773 ✭✭✭cython

There's this 3TB one on Amazon for about €98

Aside from that being out of stock at the moment, the big advantage of the argos one is that it can be powered from USB rather than necessitating a standalone power supply, as a desktop HDD (like you have linked) would.

• Registered Users Posts: 360 ✭✭georgewickstaff

Hi lads,

Xbox One just has a black screen, hdmi on the onkyo receiver not being detected. Tried to do the offline update but the eject and bind will not give the 2 start up sounds. Must have tried 100 times.. I did however just buy a new usb key in case it was that..

Am I bunched?

Many thanks

• Advertisement

I had a similar issue last year and I just ended up plugging out the xbox and leaving it until the day after, everything seemed to work fine after that.
    I had been trying a hard reset and all that but it wasnt working out for me

Hi lads,

Xbox One just has a black screen, hdmi on the onkyo receiver not being detected. Tried to do the offline update but the eject and bind will not give the 2 start up sounds. Must have tried 100 times.. I did however just buy a new usb key in case it was that..

Am I bunched?

Many thanks

Have you disconnected any hdds you have attached? Cold boot it and try a direct wired connection. Highly likely its buggered if bind+eject does nothing.

Actually it went to green Xbox loading screen on Saturday and then into the "there was a problem" screen.

Havent been able to get it back since, have no doubt its an update that went wrong.

Annoying about bind and eject though, will give the new usb stick a go on my return. Cheers

Actually it went to green Xbox loading screen on Saturday and then into the "there was a problem" screen.

Havent been able to get it back since, have no doubt its an update that went wrong.

Annoying about bind and eject though, will give the new usb stick a go on my return. Cheers

Did you get a EXXX error code? updates that bust shouldn't stop recovery mode.

Did you get a EXXX error code? updates that bust shouldn't stop recovery mode.

Yes I did...think it was something like 8007000079 , definitely finished with 79 but stupidly didnt write it down as thought I could fix from the next screen.

Have not been able to get Xbox one to handshake with hdmi since. New usb key does not work either.

I reckon its the 99 euro to service it charge... Pain in the arse as I hardly use the thing.

• Advertisement

Yes I did...think it was something like 8007000079 , definitely finished with 79 but stupidly didnt write it down as thought I could fix from the next screen.

Have not been able to get Xbox one to handshake with hdmi since. New usb key does not work either.

I reckon its the 99 euro to service it charge... Pain in the arse as I hardly use the thing.

An Exxx error is hardware, the 8xxxxxxxs are usually live services. Get on to MS support before you spend any money.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,402 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

Apparently there's a script out now that lets you replace the hard drive in your Xbox without any problems when it comes to factory resetting. That means you can go from a 500GB to a 2TB without worrying about having to rerun it all if you need to reset it.

Saw it on Reddit yesterday.

If I've got some spare cash handy at the end of the year, I may upgrade my drive to an SSHD for the extra speed.

I never write them down anymore, I just take a quick picture with my phone, as it's always handier than finding a pen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,799 ✭✭✭MiskyBoyy

CatInABox wrote: »

If I've got some spare cash handy at the end of the year, I may upgrade my drive to an SSHD for the extra speed.

You not going to have moved onto the X by then? :eek:

MiskyBoyy wrote: »
    You not going to have moved onto the X by then? :eek:

Well, most likely. Still deciding if I can afford/justify it.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,405 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

It still irks me they didn't put an ssd into the X.

Mickeroo wrote: »
    It still irks me they didn't put an ssd into the X.

It's a tricky one. A 512 drive would add another €200 or more onto the price, but it's going to need a 1TB drive at a minimum, other wise you'd only be able to put about 4 games on it, thanks to the 4K assets.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,429 ✭✭✭FAILSAFE 00

It's a tricky one. A 512 drive would add another €200 or more onto the price, but it's going to need a 1TB drive at a minimum, other wise you'd only be able to put about 4 games on it, thanks to the 4K assets.

It is a 1tb hard drive. It will work faster than a regular HDD so it's more of a hybrid drive.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,799 ✭✭✭MiskyBoyy

Well, most likely. Still deciding if I can afford/justify it.

Sorry, you can't be Mod of the Xbox forum without the latest model ;)

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,420 Mod ✭✭✭✭F1ngers

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,704 ✭✭✭JoyPad

F1ngers wrote: »

I have one of each, they both do the job. The first one is not compatible with the Elite controller, but the second one is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,095 ✭✭✭✭omb0wyn5ehpij9

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,420 Mod ✭✭✭✭F1ngers

JoyPad wrote: »
    I have one of each, they both do the job. The first one is not compatible with the Elite controller, but the second one is.
    BDJW wrote: »
    I have this one, and have been happy with it

Thanks lads, reserved the argos one, can get The Division with it for E6, which CEX will give me the princely sum of E10. Ka-ching...:pac:

There's an xbox controller adaptor on kickstarter. It allows you to use the xbox controller on Nintendo switch and ps4.

https://www.onmsft.com/news/brook-wants-to-enable-players-to-use-the-xbox-one-controller-on-ps4-and-nintendo-switch-with-its-new-kickstarter-for-the-x-one-adapter

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 850 ✭✭✭erkifino

qrx wrote: »
    There's an xbox controller adaptor on kickstarter. It allows you to use the xbox controller on Nintendo switch and ps4.

https://www.onmsft.com/news/brook-wants-to-enable-players-to-use-the-xbox-one-controller-on-ps4-and-nintendo-switch-with-its-new-kickstarter-for-the-x-one-adapter

Cheap publicity? 5k is the goal for an established company, very low, very achievable, more like a pre sale. I'm a cynic though..
    Anyway, 49$ not a bad price.

erkifino wrote: »
    Cheap publicity? 5k is the goal for an established company, very low, very achievable, more like a pre sale. I'm a cynic though..
    Anyway, 49$ not a bad price.

Yeah more than likely. Maybe they need to gauge interest. It's more the actual device that interests me. Needs to be priced right though. If $49 translates to €49 I'd imagine it will sell well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,342 ✭✭✭dunworth1

has anyone picked up the Turtle beach stealth 700 headset?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭Grahamer666

Read a few reviews. All not great. Buzzing in the left ear cup, etc.
    Funnily enough, the last TB headset i had had buzzing in the ear cup too. Wouldn't buy another TB product.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,673 ✭✭✭✭senordingdong

Hardware issue and didn't think it deserved it's own thread. Sorry if in the wrong spot.

My 360, (8yrs old) is approaching EOL. Hard drive is almost at capacity and the noise from the machine/fan/disc tray isn't encouraging.

In the event that it dies and I have to get a new one, is it possible to restore all previous saves/progess/apps, or does it all get wiped?

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,405 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Hardware issue and didn't think it deserved it's own thread. Sorry if in the wrong spot.

My 360, (8yrs old) is approaching EOL. Hard drive is almost at capacity and the noise from the machine/fan/disc tray isn't encouraging.

In the event that it dies and I have to get a new one, is it possible to restore all previous saves/progess/apps, or does it all get wiped?

Move all your saves to the cloud. Any apps or games you bought digitally will be tied to your account.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Going to go for that Gamestop deal myself. Will I be able to plug in my external hard-drive from my old console into the new one and just have it work or will I have to download everything again?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭Stone Deaf 4evr

Going to go for that Gamestop deal myself. Will I be able to plug in my external hard-drive from my old console into the new one and just have it work or will I have to download everything again?

plug in and go. you'll just need to download your profile from xbox live but shouldnt take too long.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭webpal

Couple if questions from a potential newbie: with the latest offers in Xbox s, how much room would be left on a 500gb box if I were to download Fifa 18, fh3 and hot wheels?

Also, if downloading a game that takes up, say 100gb space, is that 100gb against my monthly broadband allowance?

webpal wrote: »
    Couple if questions from a potential newbie: with the latest offers in Xbox s, how much room would be left on a 500gb box if I were to download Fifa 18, fh3 and hot wheels?

Also, if downloading a game that takes up, say 100gb space, is that 100gb against my monthly broadband allowance?

Forza with hotwheels is around 58GB, Fifa is around 43GB. You'd have around 200GB to 300GB left, it's a bit awkward space wise as the system reserves a chunk of the internal harddrive (there's also differences between what a hard drive producers say and what a system reports, it's a pain).

I took those sizes from the microsoft site, so they should be accurate, but may only be approximate.

Downloading a game will definitely eat into your allowance, and generally speaking, 100GB size means 100GB gone from your allowance.

Forza with hotwheels is around 58GB, Fifa is around 43GB. You'd have around 200GB to 300GB left, it's a bit awkward space wise as the system reserves a chunk of the internal harddrive (there's also differences between what a hard drive producers say and what a system reports, it's a pain).

I took those sizes from the microsoft site, so they should be accurate, but may only be approximate.

Downloading a game will definitely eat into your allowance, and generally speaking, 100GB size means 100GB gone from your allowance.

Also, it's super easy to upgrade the space on your Xbox as well, just connect a USB3 hard drive. 4TB drives often go for around €100 or so.

• Advertisement

Looking to change my external drive. Currently have a Seagate with external power supply which is causing problems. Randomly it is not detected when xbox is booted up. I have to plug it out and in again. It also goes to sleep after a period of inactivity, causing games to freeze while it whirls back up mid game.

Anyone any recommendations for a replacement? I'd be looking for high performance to go with the one x. Usb powered and no falling asleep malarkey.

Anyone know a good monitor for xbox one s? Setting up a desk for PC\xbox, is there anything I need to look out for with the one s?

Looks like gamescom is going to be the where the new Elite is announced.

Microsoft teases ‘all-new Xbox hardware’ announcement for next month

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

Looks like gamescom is going to be the where the new Elite is announced.

Microsoft teases ‘all-new Xbox hardware’ announcement for next month

I was about to post that too hehe.

Yup, everyone knows its elite controller. Question is, when will they decide to actually launch it. Does it usually takes long?
    If its coming out this year, then thats what will misses will get me for xmas present, thats ofc if I won't get it first, because my patients is **** when it comes to new toys. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,673 ✭✭✭AllGunsBlazing

Won't buying one but I'm definitely curious to see what's new. Ergonomically the Xbox controller is probably the pinnacle of design and function as it is already. Kinda hard to see where they can take it.

• Advertisement
Advertisement