Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hard Shutdown

Options
  • 21-11-2014 6:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2

I guess a hard shutdown is where you hold the power button on your desktop for 5 seconds in order for it to shutdown. Well let me start of my problem which I am worrying about. I have one of these new HP desktops. only a week old. The thing with HP is that they use their own "SimplePass" which is a security key that you have to enter whenever you are trying to log into a website. Today I was trying to log into adverts.ie I have tried to log in for a couple of days and today I tried again. The simplepass would simply not allow me to log into my adverts account. So I decided to change my password, after that I went back to log into adverts again, only this time to get an error message and my PC to completely lock itself... Now I know I should have pressed the ctrl alt and delete in a situation like this but at the time I wasn't aware of the feature so I forced shutdown my PC twice because after the first time I tried again and the computer locked itself again. I know this is not healthy for the PC but when I turned on the computer again I didn't have to do re-boot of the hard drive for a forced shutdown. This seemed strange because if you take any system into account they all require a data base rebuild if you perform a hard shutdown, however my one didn't it fired up straight away like everyday. Are these modern PCs meant to cope with these rare occurances? my operating system is windows 8.1 and the only tabs I had opened at the time of the hard shutdown were youtube and adverts I had nothing installing or downloading in the background.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,748 ✭✭✭degsie

Possibly the pc was in hibernate mode rather than shutdown. Wouldn't worry about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,458 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

what he said ^

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Comp21

degsie wrote: »
    Possibly the pc was in hibernate mode rather than shutdown. Wouldn't worry about it.

Thanks

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,221 ✭✭✭braddun

to shut down windows 8 you have to press shift key when you click power options shut down

or it will just hibernate

Advertisement