Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stolen Dog Advice

Options
  • 21-11-2014 7:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭

Hi,

Our family dog (Golden Spaniel) was taken from our driveway last night in Edgeworthstown, Co. Longford. He's neutered and ten years old - and I can't imagine he'd be much use to anyone.

From putting up posters this evening in town, people have said to me that when these scum dognappers find they have no use for the dog, they may try to flog them at a market.

Does anyone know where in the midland these type of markets are? I confess I wouldn't know much about them, and I was skeptical when I heard about it, but I'm willing to try anything at this stage.

I've bombarded Facebook lost animal groups etc, but any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,099 ✭✭✭maggiepip

Im sorry because I don't really have any helpful advice, just wanted to say I feel for you and really hope you find your dog quickly, that an utterly heartbreaking thing to happen. The more noise you make the greater chance of somebody providing information, try asking a local radio station could they mention it too. Fingers crossed for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,274 ✭✭✭cocker5

God op I'm so so sorry to hear that as a dog owner and a cocker owner I am really saddened for you 😰

Ok.. Firstly set up a Facebook for your dog.. Like 'find roxy'.. Ask all irish recuses to share it there are 100's of them.. Add photos of him etc!

Secondly contact local radio station ask them to go a story same with local newspapers... Check pounds / Garda stations!

Getting your dog out there and the details of him being stolen will help you get him back!

Post on lors lost dogs Facebook page...

Check dondeal, adverts , buy and sell each day, they may try and sell him on here too...

I'm so so sorry op I hope you have a good result x

• Registered Users Posts: 638 ✭✭✭ferretone

Oh, so sorry to hear it. I agree with all the advice of Cocker5. I live in the midlands, halfway between Longford and Carrick-on-Shannon, and am horrified to hear this is going on so nearby to me :(

Definitely do alert Shannonside to be announcing it as often as possible. As for the markets, well I know there's one in Market Square in Longford, and I know of a few more, but I just can't remember which days they are, except I know Carrick is on Thursday mornings.

I'll tell you who would know, though. Siobhan from Kinneden Organics in Dromod: her husband travels around to all of them, selling their home-grown organic produce, and I know they love dogs, so I'd say Mike would even keep an eye out for you, just in case he turns up anywhere like that.

You'll find all the contact details for both Siobhan and Mike on link, or could also call in to the shop in Dromod, and find a sympathetic ear in Siobhan, who might have better ideas than I do. Not a plug at all, but they are a very nice couple, who would very much have their ears to the ground in the sort of milieu you are talking about.

All the very best of luck, I am so sorry, and really hope you do find your dog again :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,167 ✭✭✭TopTec

I would also contact all your neighbours on routes away from your home. Don't just leave it at a dropped leaflet, best to actually speak to them. Many more people are fitting CCTV to their places nowadays and one of them might just of picked up the thief.

My other piece of advice is don't assume it was someone from away. The elderly neighbour of my Ex in the UK had her lovely little terrier stolen from the driveway. Her son was a local Bobby and contacted every house on the estate she lives in and one person had video of a woman walking with the terrier on the lead.

This was put in the local papers and she turned up to live a couple of miles away. If I remember rightly she said she thought the dog was lonely on the driveway and decided to give it a new home. That was what she said anyway.

Good luck to you.

TT

Advertisement