Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

VW Passat what value when trading in.

• 21-11-2014 8:56pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 824 ✭✭✭

I'm hoping people on here can give me some advice. I'm hoping to change my 2013 VW Passat for a Skoda Octavia Elegance Elegence 1.4 petrol TSI. I won't be changing until next April but I've picked the configuration on Skoda's website and the finished car comes to around €33,000.
    My Passat is a 2 litre diesel with an auto gearbox. By April it will have about 40,000 Km on the clock. Its a Comfortline model and it's well specked with adaptive cruise control, auto dimming headlights, auto wipers, auto dimming mirrors & front and back parking sensors.
    The car will be exactly two years old in April there will be one years warranty left on it also. It's value when new was €36,000.
    Can anyone advise me on what amount I should be expecting for it when trading in......Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,478 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Do you change every 2 years usually?
    €33k seems a lot for an Octavia, even if its specced up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,297 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Come April you will probably take a big hit on it as the new model Passat is just being launched so by April there will be a fair amount of old models like yours appearing on the second hand market. Highline models would also be a bit more desirable than Comfortline. If I was to make a guess and it would only be a guess, your probably looking at around €27k imo. Of course if your trading in against a car like the Octavia which is from the class below, then you could be looking at a lower trade in value than say trading it in against the new Passat.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 824 ✭✭✭pbarr

colm_mcm wrote: »
    Do you change every 2 years usually?
    €33k seems a lot for an Octavia, even if its specced up.

I have done for the past 8 years. If you go by the Skoda configurator the 1,4TSI 140bhp 7G DSG model comes in at € 28 645. When I add in the extras that I want it brings it up to around €32,5-33 depending on what options I pick.

Add around €1k more for metallic paint and delivery charges.

bazz26 wrote: »
    Come April you will probably take a big hit on it as the new model Passat is just being launched so by April there will be a fair amount of old models like yours appearing on the second hand market. Highline models would also be a bit more desirable than Comfortline. If I was to make a guess and it would only be a guess, your probably looking at around €27k imo. Of course if your trading in against a car like the Octavia which is from the class below, then you could be looking at a lower trade in value than say trading it in against the new Passat.

€27k seems a tad high for a 2 year old passat?
    €6k vs new list price in 2 years

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,021 ✭✭✭✭anewme

Again the question that 33K seems an awful lot for a 1.4 tsi Octavia and if that's the case, you are way over speccing that model and will lose a lot of money if you trade again in a couple of years. That is Skoda Superb pricing territory and you should look into getting a Superb for that price.

By the way the new Passat is fabulous (very like the current CC) and will definitely be a big seller. The diesel version will start at about 29K ish for the 1.6tdi (120BHP) with the entry level 1.4tsi about 27 and a half, maybe slightly more. Taking this into account, not sure you should expect in the region of 27K back on a 2 year old model.

bazz26 wrote: »
    . Of course if your trading in against a car like the Octavia which is from the class below, then you could be looking at a lower trade in value than say trading it in against the new Passat.

I hadn't thought about that fact. At that rate a VW dealer will probably give 2 or 3k more than the Skoda dealer but the the new Passat will be maybe 3 or 4 k more expensive than the Skoda. I'm getting quotes from both but maybe you can't compare one with the other.

anewme wrote: »
    Again the question that 33K seems an awful lot for a 1.4 tsi Octavia and if that's the case, you are way over speccing that model and will lose a lot of money if you trade again in a couple of years. That is Skoda Superb pricing territory and you should look into getting a Superb for that price.

I have a lot of stuff on it alright. I reckoned I would need to aim high when I was trading in the Passat. I think a similar spec Superb would add on around 3k to the price.

Edit: I was just looking there. The cheapest Superb DSG comes in at just over 31k.

€27k seems a tad high for a 2 year old passat?
    €6k vs new list price in 2 years

OP says that his Passat cost €36k new so €9k drop in 2 years given it's the old model seems ok to me?

A new 1.6 TDI highline for example is 32k list price. A Comfyline is 31k list.
    Sure the 2.0 and DSG is nice, but worth much more?

I can't see how it'd be worth that much, maybe I'm wrong, but I was thinking very early to mid 20s.
    2012 high lines asking 23ish in main dealers today.

• Advertisement

A new 1.6 TDI highline for example is 32k list price. A Comfyline is 31k list.

I can't see how it'd be worth that much, maybe I'm wrong, but I was thinking very early 20s.

Just going on what the OP said it cost. I'm not too versed on their prices either but the 2.0 TDi and DSG cost a fair bit more than the 1.6 TDi, not sure if that transpires second hand though. Most people in this country would probably opt for a used 1.6 Highline over a 2.0 of any trim. €36k is nearly CC territory.

Take the new model Octavia the OP is speccing up as an example. What would you give for an old model 2 year old Octavia with lots of toys and a DSG box?
    Not as much as a brand new base base model anyway.

You never get the money back on the extras... They just make a car sell quicker.

Op I reckon your existing Passat is highly specced as well if it cost 36k new..
    but those extras are never reflected in trade in.

If you are buying to keep till the death then buy all the extras you want but if you intend trading in 2 years then mid trim line is always a good purchase. 1.6 tdi is also the way to go.

If you want nightly specced then buy second hand, ie what you are selling now, where the original purchaser takes the hit on the extras but it's still a beautiful car. Better value that way

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,781 ✭✭✭amen

I've driven 1.4 Octavia and to me its under powered.

I would go for at least 1.6 Octavia.

Try before you buy

amen wrote: »
    I've driven 1.4 Octavia and to me its under powered.

I would go for at least 1.6 Octavia.

Try before you buy

the op is looking at the 140 bhp as far as I know version not the standard one. It would not be underpowered but again, he is limiting his audience if he intends trading in 2 years or so.

Lads thanks for the opinions. I was on the VW configerator there just now and when I put in the same spec as my own car it comes up at just under €36k.
    I was assuming maybe wrongly that by buying the Skoda I was going to be getting a car with way more equipment for a good bit less money. I know I'm comparing a 2ltr tdi with a 1.4 tsi petrol. Its a hard one to call and I think I'm just have to wait for the quotes to come back from the dealers and price around as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 123 ✭✭Spark Plug

I think you would be looking at a number like €24k I know you spec'd up your Passat but unfortunately they count for very little in terms of trade in price

You should be speccing golf against Octavia and superb against Passat.

anewme wrote: »
    You should be speccing golf against Octavia and superb against Passat.
    Maybe so but in terms of space the Octavia has a bigger interior than my Passat. Bigger boot and the space behind the front seats is about three times more.

• Registered Users Posts: 42 Kubota

I think that you would be doing well to get 23 to 24k for your Passat, some of the VW dealers selling of 141 2.0 comfortline Passat's at 26.5k., VW Mullingar for e.g. and it has been there a while 5-6 weeks.

• Advertisement

pbarr wrote: »
    Maybe so but in terms of space the Octavia has a bigger interior than my Passat. Bigger boot and the space behind the front seats is about three times more.

space is not relevant in relation to which bracket they fall into.....both Golf and Octavia are A segment (hatch and saloon respectively) whereas both Passat and Superb fall into B segment.

That's kind of like saying a Dacia duster has more room in the boot than an Audi TT and is cheaper! Octavia is a lovely car but it is priced against golf.

Comparing prices against different segments is comparing apples against oranges, irrespective of size.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,865 ✭✭✭✭MuppetCheck

Despite the spec it will be a downgrade in comfort compared to the bigger Passat. I'd price a new Passat before making a decision.

The current Octavia is no great shakes tbh. It's too expensive for what it is.

Despite the spec it will be a downgrade in comfort compared to the bigger Passat. I'd price a new Passat before making a decision.

The current Octavia is no great shakes tbh. It's too expensive for what it is.

I'm getting quotes from a vw and a Skoda dealer in the next couple of weeks and tbh I'd prefer the Passat but the difference might be too big to ignore but we'll see what comes back.

Residuals for a diesel auto new model Passat with low miles will be great in 2 years. Could make up the difference.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,191 ✭✭✭Stallingrad

Only way to find out is to get a trade in offer. I doubt you will be offered anywhere near €27K trade in I'm afraid. I'd say low 20's is more realistic. Changing new every couple of years seems like a mad way to burn money.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,042 ✭✭✭Bpmull

I think going from a newer type passat to an octavia would be a serious downgrade. I was recently in an ambition octavia 2013 and didn't like it at all I'd prefer the mk2 facelift octavia to it. I know your octavia would be specced up but still a passat would be nicer overall car I think. 33k just seems mad for an octavia to me although I know that new model Went up a lot in price after being in it it's hard to see where the price increase is justified.

Bpmull wrote: »
    I think going from a newer type passat to an octavia would be a serious downgrade. I was recently in an ambition octavia 2013 and didn't like it at all I'd prefer the mk2 facelift octavia to it. I know your octavia would be specced up but still a passat would be nicer overall car I think. 33k just seems mad for an octavia to me although I know that new model Went up a lot in price after being in it it's hard to see where the price increase is justified.

Well they start off at €19k for the Elegance but I want the 1.4L TSI with DSG gearbox and that alone adds on around €9.5K. Add in some extras and price goes up to 32/34k. I know its less of a class than the Passat but if I go up to a Superb I'm either going to have to drop the spec or else I'll be paying 4 or 5k extra.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

On Passat values.. anyone want to ball park a trade in value on a 132 Highline 1.4 TSI 7 speed DSG?

I really like the look of the new Pug 508 allure.. they retail at 31k.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,906 ✭✭✭kooga

only €9,000 depreciation in two years! it will be way more than that !

• Advertisement

mloc123 wrote: »
    On Passat values.. anyone want to ball park a trade in value on a 132 Highline 1.4 TSI 7 speed DSG?

I really like the look of the new Pug 508 allure.. they retail at 31k.

I was offered €11K on a mint low mileage 2011 1.4tsi Comfortline (with options) recently. I had to laugh!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

I was offered €11K on a mint low mileage 2011 1.4tsi Comfortline (with options) recently. I had to laugh!

New or old model? That is pretty low, I would have guessed closer to 15k.
    That said I was once offered 2.5k on an e60 as a trade in... I got 7k in the end.

mloc123 wrote: »
    New or old model? That is pretty low, I would have guessed closer to 15k.
    That said I was once offered 2.5k on an e60 as a trade in... I got 7k in the end.

New model.

Realistically once they cover costs and retail it a soon to be 4 year old Passat petrol is probably not worth a whole lot more despite being a lot nicer than the equivalent diesel model.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 193 ✭✭btb

You would be doing well to get 20K for the passat on trade in. Looked at a lot of 2 years old 2 litre passats last year both manual and dsg, comfortline and highline. Manuals could be bought for 19K - 19.5K cash deal from main dealer and dsg for 21K. Residuals could have improved a bit as sterling's strength has pushed up cost of imports a small bit, but doubt main dealers will give you that on trade.

btb wrote: »
    You would be doing well to get 20K for the passat on trade in. Looked at a lot of 2 years old 2 litre passats last year both manual and dsg, comfortline and highline. Manuals could be bought for 19K - 19.5K cash deal from main dealer and dsg for 21K. Residuals could have improved a bit as sterling's strength has pushed up cost of imports a small bit, but doubt main dealers will give you that on trade.

Looks like you might be right btb. I got a quote from a local Skoda dealer offering 21795 k for my passat.
    I'm going to a dealer tomorrow who does both VW and Skoda so we'll see will they do any better.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,221 ✭✭✭braddun

look at done deal to see what a year older car goes for

then take off 205 for the dealers profitt

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭commited

Why not sell privately? Should be pretty easy to sell as it's still in warranty etc.

Seems like a hell of an expensive way to have a car though, dropping 7k/year on depreciation is nuts!

Have you considered buying 6 month old cars from the UK and running them for 2 years? There is a hell of a saving doing that, but yes you will need to compromise on spec a little.

141 Skoda Octavia 1.4 TSI Elegance DSG
    http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201411199084221
    25-26k including VRT assuming no haggling (exact model not actually on VRT system yet!)

Or even better imho:
    141 Skoda Superb 2.0TDI Elegance DSG
    http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201407025485904
    €30k including VRT assuming you didn't haggle with the dealer at all. The manual is even cheaper due to lower Co2.

• Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭feckthisgenie

Not a chance in hell off getting anywhere near 27,000 for a 2 year old passat. 27,000 would be roughly what the dealership will try to resell it at and they try to make 20% on the car. With that in mind they will probably give you 21,500 and price it at 27,000 and hope to get 25,000 for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭Stop clocking

Not a chance in hell off getting anywhere near 27,000 for a 2 year old passat. 27,000 would be roughly what the dealership will try to resell it at and they try to make 20% on the car. With that in mind they will probably give you 21,500 and price it at 27,000 and hope to get 25,000 for it.

I think you're being generous.
    I would think 20k is loads and if he looking to buy a different brand he will be offered less ( unless buying Renault or Hyundai as they seem to have extra margin to buy business )

I think you're being generous.
    I would think 20k is loads and if he looking to buy a different brand he will be offered less ( unless buying Renault or Hyundai as they seem to have extra margin to buy business )

sorry your right, i was thinking a highline spec and was probably been a bit generous with it.

• Advertisement

I want to post an update on how I got on in the past few days. I was going to go for a Skoda Octavia but after good advice that I got on here I decided to try two VW dealers for a price on the new Passat. I decided on the 1.6L TDI model with more or less the same extras that I have already.
    The first dealer that I went to only offered me € 20000 on my own Passat and I was going to have to pay €14900.
    Went to another VW dealer who is looking for €12500 for the same car, a difference of €2400. So I'm going with that.The value of the new Passat is €34K Thanks everybody for the advice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 95 ✭✭needinghelp

I want to post an update on how I got on in the past few days. I was going to go for a Skoda Octavia but after good advice that I got on here I decided to try two VW dealers for a price on the new Passat. I decided on the 1.6L TDI model with more or less the same extras that I have already.
    The first dealer that I went to only offered me € 20000 on my own Passat and I was going to have to pay €14900.
    Went to another VW dealer who is looking for €12500 for the same car, a difference of €2400. So I'm going with that.The value of the new Passat is €34K Thanks everybody for the advice.

Hey - any chance you can share the dealers? PM if you prefer....

Thanks

Hey - any chance you can share the dealers? PM if you prefer....

Thanks

PM sent

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,042 ✭✭✭Bpmull

Well wear :) From the pictures the new passat looks like a lovely car. Far superior to an octavia IMO. Make sure to post pics when you get it. Is there much of a waiting list for them or when are the garages due to be getting them in.

would you PM me the dealer if you wouldn't mind thanks!

would you PM me the dealer if you wouldn't mind thanks!

No bother will do.

Bpmull wrote: »
    Well wear :) From the pictures the new passat looks like a lovely car. Far superior to an octavia IMO. Make sure to post pics when you get it. Is there much of a waiting list for them or when are the garages due to be getting them in.

Yes I can do, I won't be getting it until the beginning of May so I'll put some up then.
    Don't think they are going on sale till early January. I'm not sure how long you'd have to wait after ordering. I presume it depends on the trim level and the amount of extras you order on it

Advertisement