Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Florist Business

Options
  • 21-11-2014 9:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 40

There is a Florist business for sale near me in a Satellite town of Cork City with a population of 2500. The asking price is very reasonable, what's included is the equipment including a large coldroom for fresh flowers, other miscellaneous equipment and a customer base of around 200 repeat callers, a funeral home contract, a few church and school contracts, the good name and the existing phone number etc. The business is operating at a profit but the owner admits taking her eye off the ball in the last couple of years for personal reasons. I have found the perfect premises to lease on the Main Street with a way higher footfall than the florists current location. Rent and wages would be expensive but I have a solid plan on how to greatly increase turnover. I am not a florist myself but at the end of the day its about selling a product to the customer. There is currently no website or facebook page for the business, this is the first thing I would tackle. What do people here think about the importance of having an online presence for this business? I think it has to be a no brainer! Any guidelines as to how much a good website can contribute to your turnover? Any advice appreciated, thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 40 Scarface123

There is a Florist business for sale near me in a Satellite town of Cork City with a population of 25,000. The asking price is very reasonable, what's included is the equipment including a large coldroom for fresh flowers, other miscellaneous equipment and a customer base of around 200 repeat callers, a funeral home contract, a few church and school contracts, the good name and the existing phone number etc. The business is operating at a profit but the owner admits taking her eye off the ball in the last couple of years for personal reasons. I have found the perfect premises to lease on the Main Street with a way higher footfall than the florists current location and for example is directly across the road from a corporate company building with 700 staff. Rent and wages would be expensive but I have a solid plan on how to greatly increase turnover. I am not a florist myself but at the end of the day its about selling a product to the customer. There is currently no website or facebook page for the business, this is the first thing I would tackle. What do people here think about the importance of having an online presence for this business? I think it has to be a no brainer! Any guidelines as to how much a good website can contribute to your turnover? Any advice appreciated, thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,810 ✭✭✭✭jimmii

Online presence is important no matter what the industry. Going in with no experience is definitely going to make it more tricky but it seems like there is a good bit of growth potential. Is there much competition? Might find some people go because of her and they might try elsewhere once she has gone.

In the last five years I would say I have bought flowers online about 80% of the time (8-10 times a year). Normally spend more online than in a shop too.

jimmii wrote: »
    Online presence is important no matter what the industry. Going in with no experience is definitely going to make it more tricky but it seems like there is a good bit of growth potential. Is there much competition? Might find some people go because of her and they might try elsewhere once she has gone.

In the last five years I would say I have bought flowers online about 80% of the time (8-10 times a year). Normally spend more online than in a shop too.

There is one other florist shop in the same town but both have been operating for the past 15 years without any conflict. I would not worry about the other florist as I believe there is plenty business to be had for both, especially if my plans come to fruition. The current owner never exploited all the local corporate trade, along with offices, hospitals, local business discounts etc. I see your point about customers leaving because of a new owner, although she assures me she will still be around to offer as much help and support as she can and would act as the wedding coordinator if required. Also one of her existing trained staff members would be willing to come on board on a part time basis so at least she also is a familiar voice and face for the existing customers.

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭highlandseoghan

An online presence would be the first thing I would do backed up by a good marketing plan. I have both ordered flowers online and gone into shops it really depends on time for me. If I have time I will go in to a shop and if not order online. Next I would see about joining with interflora etc.. if the business is not already with them.

The one thing that worries me tho is that you have no experience in the florist industry. If I don't like the flowers on display or think they are put together nicely I will go to another shop. There is a lot to learn about flowers and hand tied bouquets etc... that can take years to learn.

You say the current owner has taken a step back over the last few years, Does the business have a good reputation / name in the town or has it started to get a bad reputation.

An online presence would be the first thing I would do backed up by a good marketing plan. I have both ordered flowers online and gone into shops it really depends on time for me. If I have time I will go in to a shop and if not order online. Next I would see about joining with interflora etc.. if the business is not already with them.

The one thing that worries me tho is that you have no experience in the florist industry. If I don't like the flowers on display or think they are put together nicely I will go to another shop. There is a lot to learn about flowers and hand tied bouquets etc... that can take years to learn.

You say the current owner has taken a step back over the last few years, Does the business have a good reputation / name in the town or has it started to get a bad reputation.

I should have pointed out that I intend to employ an experienced florist, hence the wages, so I would not be handling the flower arranging and presentation myself, I would be concentrating on deliveries, stock control, book keeping, marketing etc, there would be plenty to do! I have to look into Interflora more because I have heard some very negative reports about the cons of being joined with them... Price increases, high subscription fees, loss of local business etc. One case study of a florist in the states claimed they actually Lost money as a result. This existing business has a good solid name in the area, the owner is a great peoples person and a good face of the business which is also important.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,094 ✭✭✭dbran

Hi

This is a tough question as it all depends. Any business should have a website. However there is not much point in having a web site if there is no traffic going to it. So you will have to market it using SEO or Google Ads which ever works best.

Although it does contribute to the turnover of the business, the more money you spend on it on an ongoing basis, the more it will contribute in terms of new customers and sales.

Good luck with it.

dbran

Advertisement