Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Back Catalogue - Can It Ever Be Cleared?

Options
  • 21-11-2014 10:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 902 ✭✭✭

I recently had a look through my games and realised that my back catalogue is gone ridiculous. It's gone to the stage that there are games I have that I don't know if I'll ever get to play them. Anyone else keep adding to their collection rather than trying to whittle it down?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,944 ✭✭✭✭Links234

Some say just go through the ones you've not played alphabetically, that that was one of the best ways. I haven't done so, hence I've still not even booted up Alan Wake for the first time yet :p

• Registered Users Posts: 5,553 ✭✭✭murphyebass

No

• Registered Users Posts: 902 ✭✭✭da gamer

Links234 wrote: »
    Some say just go through the ones you've not played alphabetically, that that was one of the best ways. I haven't done so, hence I've still not even booted up Alan Wake for the first time yet :p

That's not a bad idea. I think my new year's resolution is that I'm only allowed buy a new game once I've cleared 5 games or something like that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,944 ✭✭✭✭Links234

Yeah, make it a new year's resolution, that way you can indulge yourself on the Steam sale :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

Wintereenmas?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

Short answer: No!

Long answer: Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo......

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

Links234 wrote: »
    Yeah, make it a new year's resolution, that way you can indulge yourself on the Steam sale :pac:

What's this about steam sale? I'm a new pc gamer and just joined steam and bought Borderlands GOTY for €29.99 thought it was a bit steep for such a old game. It's well worth it though as it's such a good game but could have been a bit cheaper really.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,597 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Not a hope.
    I am now buying more games per month than I could ever clear in a month.
    So, even if I didn't have a decent collection already, and started from scratch, I'd have no hope of finishing them all.
    And I'm 42, so I'm not going to live long enough, even if I stop buying now and only play the games I own to completion :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,870 ✭✭✭mikeruurds

I'm in the same boat. Buying 2-3 games a month and then some whenever there's a Steam sale. My Steam account is now over 600 games. No chance of me clearing that. Well maybe when I'm on pension in 25 years!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,878 ✭✭✭Robert ninja

It's possible, I just wouldn't try. I read about a guy who went to clear all of his 400 or so steam games and it ruined his life, quite literally. His GF broke up with him and he felt crap after the whole thing. I'll just stick to playing games that actually interest me and not buying things just because they're on sale.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,845 ✭✭✭Jet Black

Last year I thought I'd give it a go. Started off in alphabetical order with Alan Wake as number one. Have to say it was a struggle, I just couldn't get into it and ended up taking over a month to complete. I was glad to have it done. Next game.. Alan Wakes American nightmare. That's when I gave up.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,710 ✭✭✭Monotype

"Cleared", no. Tried is possible with some complete.

Look through the list. See which ones you just want to just give a sample and which ones you want to invest some time. Click install on one or two "have a go" ones and when you have a half hour free play one or two of them. Then if you have a weekend free, try and pick one that you'll finish in a few hours. Look at game lengths online. Save the time sink RPGs for Christmas holidays, when you have a broken leg or when you know you'll be doing nothing in evenings for a couple of weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

Time spent clearing your backlog is time wasted not playing shiny new games!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,602 ✭✭✭jaffusmax

All the more reason to look forward to living in a retirement home! Imagine the craic to be had!!!
    ul1BF0f.jpg

NB Start taking COD liver oils now so when you are old and banjaxed at lest your gaming thumbs and fingers are working!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,553 ✭✭✭murphyebass

I'll just stick to playing games that actually interest me and not buying things just because they're on sale.

This is the key.

Since having two kids I pretty much keep to this rule.

I used to buy games just because they were cheap/on sale in the likes of xtravision.

360 in particular in the past 5 years was my main offender because the games got soooooo cheap.

I recently cleared out a huge glut of these that I knew I would never ever play.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,854 ✭✭✭Grumpypants

I've come to terms with it, I know I won't play everything in my steam collection mainly due to buying bundles that have 7 extra games I have no interest in because it was 1 dollar more than buying the the one game I wanted on its own.

Any Gen 3 stuff still in its wrapper is going to stay that way as part of my collection. I've gaming stuff going all the way back to the 70's and in various states of wreckage I would love to have had kept some of them wrapped.

So that's my plan, just wait 40 years then boom sealed retro games :D

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

I doubt it, still have loads of Atlus games still in their plastic and tonnes of games on Steam that I have never even looked at.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,878 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

had to stop buying steam games for this very reason. I also play games like Final Fantasy 14 and World of Warcraft which does not help the situation at all! Ive managed to complete a few gems on the PS4 this year such as TLOU Remastered and Wolfenstein, aside from those every game ive bought recently is uncompleted with the exception of GTA5 PS4 which I will complete over the next month!

• Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

Gonzo wrote: »
    had to stop buying steam games for this very reason. I also play games like Final Fantasy 14 and World of Warcraft which does not help the situation at all! Ive managed to complete a few gems on the PS4 this year such as TLOU Remastered and Wolfenstein, aside from those every game ive bought recently is uncompleted with the exception of GTA5 PS4 which I will complete over the next month!

Yeah I'd be the same, MMOs like WoW eat up so much of my gaming time each year that I just don't get around to finishing far too many games. It doesn't help that the types of games I like tend not be be "20 hours and you're done" type campaign games either.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,435 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

What's this about steam sale? I'm a new pc gamer and just joined steam and bought Borderlands GOTY for €29.99 thought it was a bit steep for such a old game. It's well worth it though as it's such a good game but could have been a bit cheaper really.

read my post here which will save you a lot of money in the future

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,602 ✭✭✭jaffusmax

Skerries wrote: »

Good man there is no excuse paying top dollar when you can them cheap with a few clicks!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

Skerries wrote: »

Cheers for that just picked up Borderlands 2 GOTY for less than half price than they have on steam. Tbh at first I received my key and I was like where do I download the game from and then they sent me instructions in email to download from steam.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

jaffusmax wrote: »
    All the more reason to look forward to living in a retirement home! Imagine the craic to be had!!!
    ul1BF0f.jpg

NB Start taking COD liver oils now so when you are old and banjaxed at lest your gaming thumbs and fingers are working!

I have to admit, I never though of this. Touche, to you, my friend. I am looking forward to my retirement now! :D

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,430 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Developers need to start making shorter games, or at least more that are free of the time consuming filler, distractions and general busywork that defines a worrying amount of titles. There'll always be the place for the epics, but the shorter a game is, well then there's an exponential chance of actually finishing it :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

Developers need to start making shorter games, or at least more that are free of the time consuming filler, distractions and general busywork that defines a amount of titles. There'll always be the place for the epics, but the shorter a game is, well then there's an exponential chance of actually finishing it :pac:

It all depends on price, if a developer offered me a game that was mesmerising but only lasted 6 hours, while another developer offered me a similar game but lasted 100 hours you know which you would pick if they had similar pricing.

Take Lords Of The Fallen, you can get a platinum in about 25 hours, for the same price and a better game you can get Dragon Age 3 and it will take you 150-200 hours to get a platinum, your money is better spent on the latter as you get more bang for your buck as it were.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,878 ✭✭✭Robert ninja

Developers need to start making shorter games, or at least more that are free of the time consuming filler, distractions and general busywork that defines a worrying amount of titles. There'll always be the place for the epics, but the shorter a game is, well then there's an exponential chance of actually finishing it :pac:

Please don't say that. Games are disgustingly short as it is. it's not about making the entire game shorter, but rather making shorter sessions of gaming still making sense in gameplay and story as well as just feeling like you're actually doing something rather than "Well I got half the money I needed for that upgrade, I'll get the other half next weekend." it should be "I just defeated the boss of this area and liberated the town! Maybe next week I can go for his commander and get another cool weapon from the fight."

Unless you really wanna see the end of the story of a game but if you're using the video game medium as a primary source of story-telling then you're already doing it wrong.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,359 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Xenji wrote: »
    It all depends on price, if a developer offered me a game that was mesmerising but only lasted 6 hours, while another developer offered me a similar game but lasted 100 hours you know which you would pick if they had similar pricing.

Take Lords Of The Fallen, you can get a platinum in about 25 hours, for the same price and a better game you can get Dragon Age 3 and it will take you 150-200 hours to get a platinum, your money is better spent on the latter as you get more bang for your buck as it were.

And how many of those 150 hours are just pointless side missions and fetch quests used to artificially pad out the length. I'd much rather a better game with better pacing. As long as a game is good the price and length isn't a factor. It's sad in this day and age where well paced and constructed 8 hour games are now a rarity and people would much rather play bloat filled collectathons like assassins creed. Give me quality ov bloated filler any day.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,430 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Xenji wrote:

I would pick the highest quality game, or the one that appealed to me more :) I feel I have gotten much more bang out of my buck with Bayonetta 2 than I have with equally acclaimed titles many, many times longer. Given how fluid and variable game prices are anyway, I try not to let that factor into my final assessment of a game unless it is an exceptionally rare case where I feel legitimately shortchanged.
    Please don't say that. Games are disgustingly short as it is. it's not about making the entire game shorter, but rather making shorter sessions of gaming still making sense in gameplay and story as well as just feeling like you're actually doing something rather than "Well I got half the money I needed for that upgrade, I'll get the other half next weekend." it should be "I just defeated the boss of this area and liberated the town! Maybe next week I can go for his commander and get another cool weapon from the fight."

Unless you really wanna see the end of the story of a game but if you're using the video game medium as a primary source of story-telling then you're already doing it wrong.

Nope, not just story, although as an aside the 'shorter form' storytelling that digital distribution has encouraged is a very positive thing in many respects.

I just feel too many games spend thirty hours stretching out what could easily be covered more convincingly in half that. Open world games are almost always a good example of this. I love the worlds and theoretical freedom of Assassins Creed, but I do not comprehend what benefit I get out of doing the same basic mission time and time again in campaign and optional exploration alike. Sadly, it is far from alone. Destiny is a recent example of a title almost offensively willing to waste the player's time with grinding - I don't ****ing care how good Vault of Glass is if I'm going to have to spend twenty-thirty mindless hours to get there.

It's a cliche to say, but the Mario games are the perfect antithesis. The games almost stubbornly refuse to regurgitate ideas without a damn good reason, and therefore feel fresh and unpredictable for their (not insignificant) duration. Other games - and I'm talking about many acclaimed, basically interesting games - have expended all their ideas barely a quarter in, and the slog sets in.

You're right - it's great when a game's design and mechanics are robust and exciting enough to draw you back again and again. Persona 4 is my favourite example of a game that justified its huge scope and time commitment. Games like Civilisation are complex and compulsive enough to justifiably earn play times stretching into triple figures. But they do so in ways more positive than just having loads of 'stuff', which is a trap so many games fall in to.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,597 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Metal Gear Solid is a great example of a great game that combines story with action and doesn't seem to ever overstay it's welcome being quite a short game in the end.
    Sadly later titles just ladled on the cutscenes and forgot the gameplay but the PS title seemed to have everything that is being talked about here.
    You can suffer through endless grinding and cutscenes or just play the damn game.
    But, it can depend on the mood, I like a 60/80 hour games sometimes but there is always room for the 8/10 hour title as well as the bursts of excellence that are arcade titles like Galaga and Tempest, and the best of PSN/Xbla/Steam so the likes of Don't Starve and Geometry Wars 2.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,076 ✭✭✭Sarn

I've managed to significantly cut down on my game purchases but there are just so many to get through. Hard not to get distracted every now and then by something shiny and new.

I'm going to try and work my way through the few AAA titles that I have to ease the backlog. Things like Wasteland 2 might have to be put on the backburner in order that I can finish up some of the shorter ones. Made the effort to finish Mass Effect 3 there recently which was great. Quite satisfying crossing one off the list.

The problem is, now that I've picked up a PS4 the clearance has slowed down significantly. Saying that, I have only bought two games for it so far in the two and a half months since I picked it up.

Advertisement