Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Race 2015

Options
  • 21-11-2014 10:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭

www.therace.ie/
    260km around Donegal in February. Including a 15km paddle and a marathon as the last leg
    Longer than an IM!

Oryx & Bambaata in.

Anyone else in?
    Anyone complete the 2014 race and can give some insight?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭BeBetter

Completed it in 2014, incredibly hard course, I'm more used to events like GFW, KAR or Art O'Neill so this was a big step up for me. |The first half marathon is fine, the kayak is a bit of a sufferfest but it is what it is. The first cycle is incredibly hard. It just climbs and climbs and climbs for hours. The mountain run/hike section is no problem, easy after the cycle, and its mainly soft ground so you run, fall, get up, run! The second cycle isn't too bad terrain-wise but you're going over some very exposed ground. (Bloody Foreland etc) The weather on the day was ridiculous, cycling uphill into gale force winds for hours with hail stones ripping at your face. Then it's a mixed road, trail and hill marathon to finish. It's the only time in my life I reckon I'll ever get off a bicycle 13 hours into a race and say "Thank god I've only a marathon left now"!..... but what a fantastic race. Unbelievably well organised, military precision, and when you're putting yourself through that much torture it's easy to fundraise among family and friends to cover the entry fee for charity. Would be doing it again this year if I didn't have a nappy filler on the way!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,101 ✭✭✭Bambaata

Am in it indeed, its gona be an experience! I marshalled it this year so have a good idea on what to expect. The weather, as bebetter says, will be a significant factor. Anyone else in it? You in it mike??

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

I'm in, sure I've been touting it in my sig for months. :) At the moment it feels like I am massively underestimating it, I've done long races but in gentle conditions, nothing like this. The logistics (planning kit changes etc) and food are the most daunting aspects for me, nutrition will be the deciding factor in how I do.

I haven't been in a kayak but twice in the last two years, which is a concern! But otherwise I'm really looking forward to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,468 ✭✭✭sconhome

Is it an unsupported race?

AKW wrote: »
    Is it an unsupported race?
    No navigation required, but no catering :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,356 ✭✭✭pointer28

I though about doing this but needed a lie down after reading the course description.

Best of luck to all, will there be any kind of live tracking or way to follow people?

• Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭ironmonkey

I was looking at this too but just don't have time for the required training. It's one that's on the list. Having never kayaked before though I wonder how much training the 15k would require.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,396 ✭✭✭Frosty McSnowballs

Just went to register and it's full up :(

It looks deadly! And now I'm sad! Best of luck to all that are doing it, pack of lucky bastards!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,361 ✭✭✭Kurt Godel

Just went to register and it's full up :(

It looks deadly! And now I'm sad! Best of luck to all that are doing it, pack of lucky bastards!

Run it by proryxy, its a lot easier... link

• Registered Users Posts: 3,425 ✭✭✭joey100

Having never kayaked before though I wonder how much training the 15k would require.

If the kayak is the same as last year and in the same boats as last year that's a good distance to go. 15km is a long enough distance in a kayak and you won't really be able to bluff that. If you don't give it the training it needs it will take a good bit out of you, mentally as much as physically. The boats they used last year wouldn't help either. Sit on tops are grand for messing about it but aren't really made for doing any sort of distance. They do tend to hold their lines well but the flip side to that is that when they start to turn off they can be a pain to straighten back out. Depending on the wind and how exposed that section is the kayak could be a place to make a decent amount of time.

• Advertisement

The kayak was tough alright but not as slow as expected as the tide was with you at that stage. However the waves were insistent on turning you which meant that every stroke was a correcting stroke, constantly pulling hard on the left. The sit-on-tops really were a nightmare to paddle for that length of time but at least everyone else was in the same boat. Excuse the pun.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

Bambaata wrote: »
    .... You in it mike??

Pulled the trigger. I'm in

Good stuff! Glad to see there'll be a few familiar faces toeing the line, when are you getting unveiled?

I got the sneaky suspicion you were in for this ;-) Could feel it in my bones.

Oryx wrote: »
    No navigation required, but no catering :)

Sorry I meant do you need are you allowed crew? I'm looking at the coast 2 coast and crew is required to shift gear around.

You're not allowed any outside assistance and they're fairly strict on it. Only the marshals can help you but let me say that the marshals are so helpful and so well drilled that they're better than any support crew. I've done a lot of well organised races but this race is on a different standard. Really wish I was doing it again now, have some demons to lay to rest after spending an hour in a car at the last checkpoint thawing out my hands to get them to work so I could change my clothes and eat :(

• Registered Users Posts: 3,654 ✭✭✭Enduro

What is the mental block people have about kayaking?

If someone told you they were going to do a triathlon, but they weren't going to bother putting in any swim training because they already knew how to doggy paddle for as long as necessary what would you think of that plan?

• Registered Users Posts: 10 Endurancer123

14 weeks to go and I have to say that I'm really looking forward to it. Still a good bit of training to do but I'm getting there. Looks like a top notch race and well organised.

Enduro wrote: »

If someone told you they were going to do a triathlon, but they weren't going to bother putting in any swim training because they already knew how to doggy paddle for as long as necessary what would you think of that plan?

Oh jesus, there was war here recently around that very topic!! ;)

I didnt see a mental block.

For anyone who isnt in the facebook The Race group and hence hasnt seen my invitation to join a strava group why not come along to http://www.strava.com/clubs/TheRace and join in ;-)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

Good stuff! Glad to see there'll be a few familiar faces toeing the line, when are you getting unveiled?

I got the sneaky suspicion you were in for this ;-) Could feel it in my bones.

Yes I eyed it up at the start of the year but didn't anticipate missing over 4 months with my first back to back injuries :(

"In for it" is a far cry for my current shape, or lack thereof. I'm aiming to get enough training in to complete it. Unveiled? Dunno, haven't received the race pack yet.

Yes I eyed it up at the start of the year but didn't anticipate missing over 4 months with my first back to back injuries :(

"In for it" is a far cry for my current shape, or lack thereof. I'm aiming to get enough training in to complete it. Unveiled? Dunno, haven't received the race pack yet.
    I wouldn't get too excited about the race pack. :)

All this talk of 3 months is concerning, given that I'm still building back after injury too. The plan the organisers provide gives a huge workload of training which I couldn't do even if I wanted to. I think I saw a few days in it of roughly 14 hrs.

I wouldnt be following that plan to be honest. Maybe if you were a full time athlete but not otherwise

I wouldnt be following that plan to be honest. Maybe if you were a full time athlete but not otherwise
    Yeah. My initial response was something like 'pfffffftt......:D'

• Registered Users Posts: 3,654 ✭✭✭Enduro

Oryx wrote: »
    I didnt see a mental block.

The mental block is people thinking that you can just turn up and kayak without having done any actual kayak training. Kayaking is a hydrodynamic sport like swimming. Just like swimming proper technique is hugely important, and thinking you can just plough your way through because of your general fitness is nieve in the extreme. Just like swimming good technique will murder brute strenght every time.

Also, the difference between your physical state at the end of a kayak will be huge between someone who has proper technique and someone who doesn't. That's probably the biggest gain to be had by an intelligent approach to kayaking.

The mental block is people thinking that you can just turn up and kayak without having done any actual kayak training. Kayaking is a hydrodynamic sport like swimming. Just like swimming proper technique is hugely important, and thinking you can just plough your way through because of your general fitness is nieve in the extreme. Just like swimming good technique will murder brute strenght every time.

Also, the difference between your physical state at the end of a kayak will be huge between someone who has proper technique and someone who doesn't. That's probably the biggest gain to be had by an intelligent approach to kayaking.

I hear ya, but I dont hear anyone saying theyre going to bluff their way through it. In case my earlier comment was misleading, I dont intend to go into this with no kayak training.

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭speedyj

It's just really hit me, that's fifteen km of kayaking. One would definitely want their sh1t sorted before doing that if having no prior experience.

Have to say, that race looks much harder than an IM. That additional 25km run and the kayak is a serious softener for the rest of the day!

Sure it'll be a bit of craic!

speedyj wrote: »
    It's just really hit me, that's fifteen km of kayaking. One would definitely want their sh1t sorted before doing that if having no prior experience.

Have to say, that race looks much harder than an IM. That additional 25km run and the kayak is a serious softener for the rest of the day!

Even without taking into account the extra run and kayak the terrain for the first cycle in particular is absolutely murderous. At one stage on the bike after climbing for hours I came over a false peak and I remember saying to myself "F@#%^&g hell even the hills have hills on them"! I'd blurt out some statement like "it's way harder than an IM" except I can't swim for sh$t so I'm not one to judge! No doubt some other people who have done the race have done IM's as well and could comment or come next March a couple of boardsies will be able to tell us all about it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,425 ✭✭✭joey100

I might be able to help with the kayaking if people need a hand. If anyone has any questions about technique just ask here and I'll do my best to answer. If possible too I might be able to sort a kayaking session for people to try it out a bit where I could get a look at you and give you a few tips. Probably wouldn't be until January or February and probably around dublin area but if there is interest I could see what I could do.

Advertisement