Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Race 2015

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

Got the race pack. 3 sponsors cards and a training plan. Week 13 looks like this

Mon: 16-20 min anaerobic boxing, rowing or skipping :confused:
    Tue: 1 hour tempo hilly cycvle
    Wed: 16-20 min anaerobic boxing, rowing or skipping
    Thu: 2 hour tempo run
    Fri: Swim, rest
    Sat: 6 hour run & 6 hour cycle :eek:
    Sun: 90 min rowing, swim or kayak

So 4 hours Mon to fri and 13.5 hours sat and sun

Plenty of rowing machine in the plan so at least I have a start on that!

The diet plan involves 6 weetabix and a couple of poached eggs for brekkie :D

• Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

Wed: 16-20 min anaerobic boxing, rowing or skipping

Should come in handy for the boxing and skipping section of the race...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,468 ✭✭✭sconhome

mloc123 wrote: »
    Should come in handy for the boxing and skipping section of the race...

You haven't seen the sheep in Donegal so! Self defence skills are handy to have :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,182 ✭✭✭RonanP77

This looks like an incredible event and I am absolutely in awe of anybody fit to take it on. Maybe in 5 or 6 years time if it's still going I might be able to manage it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,101 ✭✭✭Bambaata

For anyone interested the guys running this race have one of their expeditions on rte 2 now

• Advertisement

Watching it. Mad men!

So we're just a few days out and what seemed hard enough seems to have gotten harder with the news that Muckish is covered in snow!!

As part of the mandatory kit i need to source a survival blanket. Im trying to find one that is as light as possible but does the job from a store in town. What have you other adventurers used in the past and where'd you pick it up? They'd none ion 53degrees north last week and my better half works in town so is going to look around for me. Anyone know how big/heavy this one might be - http://www.greatoutdoors.ie/product_info.php?cPath=27_665&products_id=244357

Here's Muckish yesterday and there has been more snow overnight. I was up there scoping the course the weekend before last and it was clear bare a light dusting at the crest.

Bambaata wrote: »
    So we're just a few days out and what seemed hard enough seems to have gotten harder with the news that Muckish is covered in snow!!

As part of the mandatory kit i need to source a survival blanket. Im trying to find one that is as light as possible but does the job from a store in town. What have you other adventurers used in the past and where'd you pick it up? They'd none ion 53degrees north last week and my better half works in town so is going to look around for me. Anyone know how big/heavy this one might be - http://www.greatoutdoors.ie/product_info.php?cPath=27_665&products_id=244357

Is it a survival blanket (foil type silver) or a bothy bag you need?

I picked up a 3 pack of foil in Halfords in a bargain bin one day. Worth a call. I have them here as part of a waterproof 1st aid pack if stuck.

• Registered Users Posts: 35 fully floating

I have got the foil type in sports direct, but to be honest not sure what use it might be if I needed it

• Advertisement

I have got the foil type in sports direct, but to be honest not sure what use it might be if I needed it

You will be very surprised how warm you will remain if you have to use it. If you have to use it wear it between your base layer clothing and outer layer.

• Registered Users Posts: 35 fully floating

AKW wrote: »
    You will be very surprised how warm you will remain if you have to use it. If you have to use it wear it between your base layer clothing and outer layer.

Thanks for the tip still would hope to never need it

• Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭Jmcmen

Here's Muckish yesterday and there has been more snow overnight. I was up there scoping the course the weekend before last and it was clear bare a light dusting at the crest.
    Lordy that looks could.

Was in Malin head last Saturday and was thinking if THE RACE was on last weekend there would have been fatalities

Best of luck to all the insane'os doing it. Tip of the cap to you all. Even being prepared to enter makes you a hero in my book

• Registered Users Posts: 3,654 ✭✭✭Enduro

Go into the Great outdoors and get a Sol Survival bag. They are like a combination of bivvy bag and survival blanket, but work much better than the two individually. If you need to use it you'll be glad you have this. Extremely lightweight too, lighter than a plastic bivvy. Costs about 20 euro.
    Otherwise a foil blanket is only about 2 euro, but not so useful should you actually need it.

The above advice comes from real world experience in some interesting conditions!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,583 ✭✭✭✭tunney

ON0eAWq.jpg

I hope the weather improves

Enduro wrote: »
    Go into the Great outdoors and get a Sol Survival bag. They are like a combination of bivvy bag and survival blanket, but work much better than the two individually. If you need to use it you'll be glad you have this. Extremely lightweight too, lighter than a plastic bivvy. Costs about 20 euro.
    Otherwise a foil blanket is only about 2 euro, but not so useful should you actually need it.

The above advice comes from real world experience in some interesting conditions!
    Thanks Enduro, was hoping you'd come along with a word of advice ;-)

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭BeBetter

Best of luck at the weekend lads, lets hope the weather gets milder and the conditions are better than last year for you. Very jealous now that I'm not doing it but hopefully I'll be back on the start line next year (despite swearing I'd never put myself through that again!!). Will be interesting to see how the race has developed.

If any of you competing want any advice or to know anything about the race give me a shout and I'll pass on whatever I can.

Good Luck Oryx and Bambaata! Just as well I deferred to next year cause not only am I out of the country but a merciless tummy bug to boot :rolleyes:

Expecting to see Ed's name popup early on the leaderboard!

Ah feic, no Kayak section.. more running instead due to weather. Some will be pleased though. A third reason now why I'm happy I deferred!

Not exactly dot watching... more like spreadsheet watching :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 637 ✭✭✭Podge83

Not sure if kayaking around Lough Swilly in that wind would be good for anyone! Cycle will be a bit breezy on exposed roads!

The race just got tougher!!

Eddie currently in 2nd place
    https://twitter.com/TheRace_ie

Kate through first run in 3rd place just 5 mins behind Avril Copeland, an International Adventure Racer :)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Was there only one kayak? Does no kayak section make it a really long duathlon? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,888 ✭✭✭Dory Dory

After nearly 7 hours, Eddie is still in 2nd place!! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 637 ✭✭✭Podge83

Just back from a longish cycle this morning. I'd say the wind they're dealing with up there is epic.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭career move

Eddie in third I think. Top three started the marathon about 40min ago according to twitter.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,356 ✭✭✭pointer28

That website doesn't make any sense, they have him in 3rd but his elapsed time is 7 mins faster than 2nd place.

Their "live tracking" leaves a lot to be desired.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,888 ✭✭✭Dory Dory

Looks like Kate is comfortably 3rd lady after the mountain run.....and based on total elapsed time, Eddie is definitely in 2nd. ??

Edit: elapsed time on site does not include the mountain run....so looks like Eddie is in 3rd.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭BeBetter

20 DNF's out of 60 starters so far and plenty of racing left to do.

Advertisement