Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

EMP pollution. Living near high voltage power lines

• 21-11-2014 11:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 38

I'm going to buy a top floor apartment near high voltage lines. The place isn't cheap considering the fact that only 15/20 meters from that place goes high voltage power line (along). The only good thing is that it put off few other potential buyers which should makes my offer being accepted.
    My question. Does it really have any impact on overall health? Ive read somewhere that living near electric/magnetic fields might result in cancers.
    Is it an urban myth?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,013 ✭✭✭generic2012

Marcin Z wrote: »
    I'm going to buy a top floor apartment near high voltage lines. The place isn't cheap considering the fact that only 15/20 meters from that place goes high voltage power line (along). The only good thing is that it put off few other potential buyers which should makes my offer being accepted.
    My question. Does it really have any impact on overall health? I've read somewhere that living near electric/magnetic fields might result in cancers.
    Is it an urban myth?

I'm sorry I don't have more time to go in to it but it is an urban myth. There were flawed studies in America that used an indirect (and flawed) of measuring magnetic fields from high voltage lines. They found an increase in Leukaemia rates but this has since been totally discredited. I also believe there may have been an observational study that found increased rates of cancer around high voltage lines in Wales but this was an anomaly.

More and more people are being exposed to high voltage lines, Leukaemia rates are dropping. This alone would suggest a bit of scepticism towards claims of cancer causing power cables would be wise!

There has been no mechanism by which high voltage lines could cancer put forward (that I have seen any way) and there is large money involved in 'minimising' the effects of high voltage lines (fixing a non-existing problem costs a lot of money).

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2352388/pdf/bmj00565-0027.pdf

Advertisement