Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advice re laptop for gaming

Options
  • 22-11-2014 1:43am
    Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭

Hope someone can give me some advice - we're considering buying a laptop for our 17 yr old son for Christmas - will need it for college next year and is also into gaming. Our budget is €600. Have looked at 2 machines closely - Acer aspire E1 572G and Toshiba L50D-B-13P.

The Acer has a 1GB graphics card (AMD Radeon r5 m240 with 1 GB dedicated RAM) and an Intel core 1.5 processor. 4GB RAM (will prob upgrade to 8).

Toshiba has a 2 GB graphics card (AMD Radeon™ R5 Graphics) and an AMD A8-6410 Quad-Core Accelerated Processor. 8 GB RAM.

Both have 1TB HD and windows 8.1.

I have absolutely zero knowledge about this and really want to keep it as a surprise.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,449 ✭✭✭Rob2D

Redchick wrote: »
    Hope someone can give me some advice - we're considering buying a laptop for our 17 yr old son for Christmas - will need it for college next year and is also into gaming. Our budget is €600. Have looked at 2 machines closely - Acer aspire E1 572G and Toshiba L50D-B-13P.

The Acer has a 1GB graphics card (AMD Radeon r5 m240 with 1 GB dedicated RAM) and an Intel core 1.5 processor. 4GB RAM (will prob upgrade to 8).

Toshiba has a 2 GB graphics card (AMD Radeon™ R5 Graphics) and an AMD A8-6410 Quad-Core Accelerated Processor. 8 GB RAM.

Both have 1TB HD and windows 8.1.

I have absolutely zero knowledge about this and really want to keep it as a surprise.

You're wasting your time with those two to be honest.

Gaming on a laptop is a big ask and not commonly done. You'll want to double that budget at least. Unfortunate but that's the way she goes.

Best gaming laptop on a budget right now is the Lenovo Y50. But even that will be outdated in a year or so in regards to playing any new games.

And, as is the case with most laptops, the parts (to make things slim and manageable) are soldered onto the motherboard. And as such, cannot be upgraded or replaced.

Only Alienware laptops are built to allow for upgrading and thus allowing a longer life span. But it's not always a smooth process and by god you'll pay for one too.

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭Redchick

Thanks a mil Rob2D. Looks like it'll just be a normal laptop so!!!

Advertisement