Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ruger 10/22 Fans

Options
  • 22-11-2014 6:28am
    Registered Users Posts: 428 ✭✭

50th Anniversary Article - plus there's an old Sep 1964 "Dope Bag" debut / evaluation article linked into the Oct 2014 article that's interesting.

http://www.americanrifleman.org/articles/rugers-10-22-one-of-the-best-things-for-50-years

What I found interesting is that their famous .44 Mag Carbine preceded the 10/22 by three years, being introduced in 1961. This one used a tube magazine not rotary.

htd0li.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,024 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

Damn! That would be one sweeeet rifle for gallery comps these days.:)

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭Deaf git

Grizzly 45 wrote: »
    Damn! That would be one sweeeet rifle for gallery comps these days.:)

What was it intended for? Hunting? Scaring crows?

• Registered Users Posts: 428 ✭✭EWQuinn

The Ruger .44 Carbine was a short range deer rifle / brush gun. It was originally called the "Deerstalker" in the first year of release, but ran foul of Ithaca Company that already had the name and so had to drop it.

Here's an interesting link, Guns Magazine 1961 with an ad for the .44 Carbine right up front, taken a wart hog in Africa.

http://www.gunsmagazine.com/1961issues/G1061.pdf

Its not a gun I would hunt deer with, much less take to Africa. However it was very handy and worked just fine for any north american deer under 100 yards. I guess if you were in the back country as a guide, cowboy or just needed handy protection, or a companion for .44 Mag handgun, this also might be attractive.

It was an innovative design concept and led to the innovative and more popular 10/22. I am not a Ruger person except their .44 Mag Ruger Redhawk revolver which is excellent. But the history of some of their designs, marketing and popularity is interesting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,616 ✭✭✭FISMA

Thanks for the heads-up EW. Kind of forgot about this. Looks like I'll be getting another 10/22 - almost need a cabinet just for the 10/22's at this point!

I saw the walnut version on Gunbroker for $275 and plastic at Cabelas for $259.99. I am a bit disappointed that they didn't do something like the 40th anniversary with the medallion.

To the lads on the board, which model with ye get. I do not have the take-down model, maybe a good time to get one?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,717 ✭✭✭German pointer

I just bought the target tactical I like the concept of the take down as well and would love to have both but with licencing laws here well I'll say no more

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,024 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

Deaf git wrote: »
    What was it intended for? Hunting? Scaring crows?

What they call in the States a "truck gun".A cheap knockabout rifle you keep in the pick up truck for pot shots at Varmits,or a deer at close range to something you use to plink a few cans down in the local "free fire range"[usually the local dump area where you can shoot up any old scrap or target you want to bring there.Almost every county has one]

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

Advertisement