Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cheapest time to fly to the US

Options
  • 22-11-2014 10:58am
    Registered Users Posts: 13

Hi all,

Anyone have any idea of the cheapest/best time to fly to the US? Hoping to go to either New York, Chicago or Las Vegas or potentially get 2 of them in together.

Just on a budget and want to go sometime in 2015.

Thanks in advance

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,900 ✭✭✭InTheTrees

January and February I think.

That's the time I usually go home to Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 peterbella

Might be too soon.

Any ideas who does the best deals?
    Travel companies or airlines themselves?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,271 ✭✭✭McSween

peterbella wrote: »
    Might be too soon.

Any ideas who does the best deals?
    Travel companies or airlines themselves?

Use skyscanner.

would use skyscanner if I knew when is the cheapest time to fly to the states.

If you cant make it this winter then the next best times would probably be March, and then a gap until the end of summer so maybe October and early November. Problem is the Thanksgiving holiday in the USA in late November which keeps fares high.

Post here if you find any good tips, its a good question.

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭Dave1442397

I've always found Jan/Feb to be the cheapest. The rest of the year there's always something on that keeps the fares up. I guess October should be the next cheapest time...there's nothing really happening then, and most Europeans are done with Florida/Disney in September.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,221 ✭✭✭braddun

winters pretty brutal in the states

lookup google.com/flights

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,221 ✭✭✭braddun

its seem to be January February and after 11th march 460euros to new York then prices rise in may and highest in august

las vegas prices are high its funny they are high in august ,the heat would kill you in summer and few people go

book far in advance

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

I've been watching flights to Vegas for January via Skyscanner for the last 3 months... from the 19th-25th.

It's never dropped below 500 euro per person. It's only once gone beyond 600 and that's only been in the last couple of days. Todays price is €566 per person.

• Advertisement

Thanks for all the feedback. Think I may look at October time.

Does anyone know is it better to book it yourself or do travel agents have good deals for flights and hotels??

• Registered Users Posts: 15,959 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Try Opodo , and their great multi trip options. Bargains to be had!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,172 ✭✭✭Wompa1

McSween wrote: »
    Use skyscanner.

Have been conned by them before. They let me book a flight with them, only to send me an e-mail notification about 48 hours later saying the booking requested could not be completed. Here's some alternatives....and all the alternatives were about 300 more expensive..

I gave them the benefit of the doubt, they explained that the price with the airline can change from the time I book and the time it's confirmed with the airline in question....

So, I figured I'd try again when I noticed a cheap flight...I had the e-mail alerts setup, so I could act on a good deal right away. Tried it and boom...same thing happened. Same excuse given. It didn't seem to matter that I jumped on it right away.

It's a load of b*llocks...

• Registered Users Posts: 9,493 ✭✭✭irishgeo

The week after the easter break. Got to Orlando for 400 euro return.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,172 ✭✭✭Wompa1

sugarman wrote: »
    Well that's a lie, because skyscanner isn't a booking website but only a flight comparison site.

You book through the airlines.

That's strange...I wonder why I was talking to their support in Edinburgh then? Which is another sore point. I think I was talking to somebody in Italy first..figuring out a way to contact them about the dodgey alerts was a real hassle.

I had to contact them to try and re-arrange for another flight or opt to cancel the booking (free of charge)

The scam wasn't that they ripped me off, at least money wise...they did rip me off time wise. The scam was that I believe they use false advertising...just my opinion.

Here's some of the text from a back and forth I had with one of their people in Scotland:
    My name is Neil and I’m part of the User Satisfaction team at Skyscanner.

My colleague has passed me your email address in regards to your complaint about price alerts. Firstly, I’m sorry that you’ve had this issue, I’ll try to explain how the email alerts work.

The price alerts emails are intended as a guide, and are based on a snapshot in time on any given day. Flight availability, meanwhile, is live and can change very rapidly based on traveller demand and airline pricing structures. At times, this can result a flight that you have an alert set up for no longer available at the emailed price, or at all. This may be particularly noticeable when there has been any delay between receiving the price alert email and clicking the link, but can sometimes even change within minutes or even seconds of the alert going out. We still hope that the majority of the time there is no significant change, and the feature is still useful for finding the best prices for your chosen route.

One of my replies in our back and forth:
    I've been looking at the daily e-mails and looking up the costs of the flights with the other brokers you guys list e.g. eBookers. The flights were a different price through the actual brokers each time that I looked. What's more, there's very few flights with one or partnered set of airlines from Phoenix to Dublin, so I started cross checking the price of flights through say, Aer Lingus for flights and noticed a big difference in the price.If a possible reason for this, is timing of when the price is set and when I book? And that's meant to be the disconnect, I don't fully believe that, Just recently, I clicked on an offer right as I got the e-mail (as I was suprised to see the cost come down by almost 200) and the flight was an Aer Lingus flight...I cross checked again with Aer Lingus and there was no such deal or flight for that cost.

My sister got a flight through SkyScanner and everything was fine but I've been keeping an eye on their alerts and I believe many of them are bogus.

irishgeo wrote: »
    The week after the easter break. Got to Orlando for 400 euro return.

Who did you book that with? And how long did you book the flights with before you travelled??

Advertisement