Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

real advice needed

• 22-11-2014 11:09am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33

So I have a 2002 Clio and I have had it 4 years .i have been good to it but its need more TLC it needs a few things I think like bearing I can hear it going for the 3rd time. I would like to sell it but it doesn't go smooth all the time and I know the so I can deal with it if you know what I mean. So I'm thinking of doing finance on new 1.5 diesel dacia sandero. I would give 4000 and then its 213 a month for 5 years. So I have been close before to doing finance but decided to just keep going with the Clio. Now I do a lot of driving so that why I picked diesel. I don't know whether to go finance or get the bits in the Clio fixed. By bf thinks I should get a new car but I he is a car junkie and likes the idea of me getting a new car. 213 for the next 5 years I can afford it but I dunno.I need advice please

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,705 ✭✭✭✭Tigger

miss.aok wrote: »
    So I have a 2002 Clio and I have had it 4 years .i have been good to it but its need more TLC it needs a few things I think like bearing I can hear it going for the 3rd time. I would like to sell it but it doesn't go smooth all the time and I know the so I can deal with it if you know what I mean. So I'm thinking of doing finance on new 1.5 diesel dacia sandero. I would give 4000 and then its 213 a month for 5 years. So I have been close before to doing finance but decided to just keep going with the Clio. Now I do a lot of driving so that why I picked diesel. I don't know whether to go finance or get the bits in the Clio fixed. By bf thinks I should get a new car but I he is a car junkie and likes the idea of me getting a new car. 213 for the next 5 years I can afford it but I dunno.I need advice please

How many miles do you drive a week
    That's €16,780 which seems a whole lot of money for something that will be worth very little in 5 years

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33 miss.aok

Hi I do about 90 km I think a day .dunshaughlin to swords and back and the dunshaughlin to blanchardstown and back except the weekend just to blanchardstown

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,478 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

how much money have you actually spent on repairs (not including servicing/tyres) in the last 12 months?

I spent maybe a few hundred.got a new catalytic converter cause it failed NCt,got new brake pads and discs. Now I now it needs a bearing.it was cutting out after I started it up and it just wasn't going even when I had my foot on the gas.but yesterday it didn't happen or today so I think its better. I'll b bringing it for service if I decide to keep it.i have spent a lot last year on a oil seal and a coolent house

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,917 ✭✭✭✭Toyotafanboi

€4k up front and €200 per month for the next 5 years is a huge amount of money for one of the most miserable cars on the road. and as posted above, when you go to sell in 5 years time, you'l be lucky to get your initial €4k back, not to mention the fact that in 4.5 years time you will be sick of paying top dollar for what is a very mundane car.

at the same time a 12 year old clio could well be nearing the end of it's life.

consider, maybe one of these if you want to upgrade car to something reliable, modern and cheap to run but that you could buy with cash and not have to finance.

http://cars.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/toyota-corolla/7814179
    http://cars.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/toyota-corolla-1-4-d4d/7746122

or alternatively if you wanted to go "up in the years" consider financing something like a 3 year old kia cee'd (perhaps via personal loan) where the big depreciation hit has already been taken and you stand a chance of getting some money back out of it in 3 years time. if you were putting €4k up front on something like these, you would only be talking a half of the finance you were considering on the dacia.

http://cars.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/kia-pro-ceed/8085252
    http://cars.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/kia-pro-ceed-1-6-crdi-3/7421520

the cars linked are just an example, what kind of car do you need. do you want good looks or just something cheap to run? do you have kids/ pets etc?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,478 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

I spent maybe a few hundred.got a new catalytic converter cause it failed NCt,got new brake pads and discs. Now I now it needs a bearing.it was cutting out after I started it up and it just wasn't going even when I had my foot on the gas.but yesterday it didn't happen or today so I think its better. I'll b bringing it for service if I decide to keep it.i have spent a lot last year on a oil seal and a coolent house

Pads and discs are consumables though. the Dacia has them too.

Point is, the Clio isn't throwing a €200 wobbler every month.

I really do like the kia ceeds.i think I will look into a personal loans.I like how u mentioned that a used car will already of depreciated. I no that if I get a new car it will be worth a 1000 less when I drive it out.

At the moment I spend 10 a day petrol and 93 for tax every 3 months and 35 month on insurance. I know tax will be way cheaper on new or newish car like a ceed.I b saving Petrol or diesel and I my insurance will go up with a bigger engine

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,097 ✭✭✭johndaman66

90km a day and some weekend driving is perhaps around 15k miles a year, maybe a bit more depending on how much driving you do on your time off work. Being honest I'm not sure would I so readily dismiss an economical petrol at that mileage.

A lot of people seem very eager to jump on the diesel bandwagon and assume they are saving money, its almost fashionable it would seem, but they ignore the mileage they are doing and the fact that continued small journeys are just not good for modern diesels at all. I see guys in my workplace jumping on the diesel bandwagon thinking they are saving money and their daily commute is maybe 4/5 miles each way:eek:....and I work in the financial services sector so you would think them guys would have done the sums:eek:.

Fair play to you though you are considering the mileage and yeah at that mileage a diesel probably makes that bit more sense longterm - However, that ignoring the potential repair bills and heartache you might be faced with a modern diesel if things go wrong - which they often do. If this happens your fuel savings may be wiped out and then some... That depends on the specific car really and thats not to say modern petrols are immune from giving trouble either - but less likely to give severe hassle as modern diesels can potentially.

I'd like to know what exactly is wrong with your Clio. A wheel bearing going 3 times in what I assume is close succession seems a bit strange really. Did the mechanic change it 2 times already and its whining again? Is that all that appears wrong with the car? Wheel bearing on its own hardly a biggy but if you have taken it to the same guy twice already to fix the same problem and you have same issue again I'd be inclined to take it to another mechanic and explain the situation to them.

How do you find that Clio besides? My first car was a 1.9 flat diesel Megavan and it was a serious heap of junk, ball of scrap with all the issues it gave me, mechanical and electrical. Don't want to slate your car but I swore never to drive a Renault again after that...but I appreciate I may just have being unlucky too.

I'm very much a Toyota man now and find them so much better and more sturdy a car generally. Granted, they may not be as comfy as the equivalent Renault and not always fantastic lookers depending on the model but I'll take that on the chin if they get me to work hassle free and dont scare the sh!te out of me with expensive repair bills...Dont really want to be playing Russian roulette with getting too and from work and risking being stranded on the side of the road!!

Edit: Please disregard some of my above post OP. I was assuming you needed a wheel bearing replaced and not an engine bearing. Engine bearing most likely a biggy I'd think. The same bearing should not be going in close succession like that. Something must be causing it. Any chance the car is being overfilled with oil?...That could be one reason among others....

Thanks johndaman66. Its a wheel bearing the noise is starting and i no its going to get louder.I know there is probably something wrong.its a weird car it used to drink oil like no tomorrow but now it seems to b OK.it was jumping and cutting out when I started it and it was like it had no power that was 2 days ago and it fine now. I have spent money on oil seal, coolent house, bearings, shoes, wishbone, cat, rubber thing on the exhaust twice which has come loose again by my bf put tye wrap on it but still rattles. I have put so much into it it is heart breaking when your offered 500.

I feel like im goina put it through NCt in next few weeks and see . It has never past a nct first off.

Thanks for your advice . I would be stupid to get finance ye?

Thanks johndaman66. Its a wheel bearing the noise is starting and i no its going to get louder.I know there is probably something wrong.its a weird car it used to drink oil like no tomorrow but now it seems to b OK.it was jumping and cutting out when I started it and it was like it had no power that was 2 days ago and it fine now. I have spent money on oil seal, coolent house, bearings, shoes, wishbone, cat, rubber thing on the exhaust twice which has come loose again by my bf put tye wrap on it but still rattles. I have put so much into it it is heart breaking when your offered 500.

I feel like im goina put it through NCt in next few weeks and see . It has never past a nct first off.

Thanks for your advice . I would be stupid to get finance ye?

Your most welcome miss.aok. Being honest I'd nearly cut my losses with that Clio. By the sounds of what your saying its very much a Renault as I know them. If it were me though I'd be inclined to try and sell it privately as you could most likely expect more than 500 for it. First get it NCT'd though. If it passes brilliant then advertise it as a running car with the issues you mentioned. If it fails on something small like the wheel bearing, rectify that and retest it. Again advertise it after with the issues it still has, as a tested car but with issues, be honest when advertising it (an engine bearing or lack of power may not prevent the car passing the NCT per se but they are still faults with the car).

If the car fails on something massive advertise it as a NCT fail with the fail sheet. I'll be honest, you may not expect a hell of a lot for the car then but you still should bag a few more quid than if the car were to be sold with no fail sheet at all. If as you say your boyfriend is into his cars a wee bit and your not too keen on doing the wheeling and dealing when advertising it privately (I know a lot of girls wouldn't be) then let him pick up the mantle and do the needful:)

If you are down a car for a week then hopefully you will manage for work. Public transport pretty good up there in Dublin in fairness if it can accommodate your commute and times. Better still if you have a friend who can pick you up or if you can borrow car from b/f or family member for a few days, remember to ensure your covered to drive it though or change over your insurance if you dont have open driving.

You are better of going to a garage or buying privately without a car to trade in 9 times out of 10 and that money in your pocket instead after selling privately.

To be honest I wouldn't say your mad to go down the finance route. Some people like a new car, more people like 3 holidays a year, more are into their phones tablet and gadgets. If you really like the idea of a new car and need to borrow money to finance it so be it I suppose if you can comfortably pay it back without streching yourself if you have a mortgage to pay/ high rents etc....priorities and all that.

Being honest I was saving for a house over the last five years or so, so its being cheap bangernomics for me the whole way for some time now and will be for some time to come until I get well ahead on my mortgage. At some stage I would like to buy a pretty new car if not a new car again but thats a few years down the line yet, after I have knocked a nice chunk of the mortgage.

Suppose at the end of the day its the value you place on having a new car and if it doesn't strech you to the limit financially....don't let an asset that depreciates at the rate a modern car does do that to you:)

I would urge you to go onto the bangernomics thread here. General rules for cars posted on the thread it that they have NCT with no serious mechanical issues and are priced under 2 grand. You might be very pleasantly surprised. Some absolute gems there and very presentable cars for the money they are asking. Generally the bigger the engine the more value there seems to be as you go older. Some fantastic cars in the 1.0 litre to 1.6 litre petrol range too there if you look thru the thread. These cars may cost more to run day to day but remember this may still be totally outweighed by the cost of buying/ financing and the depreciation on a new car. Many of the cars on that thread would very much have virtually all of their depreciation already done...

If going down the new car route I'd personally be inclined to steer well clear of Dacia. They may be cheap to buy day one bu the depreciation on them most likely shocking. They are also a very ungainly car...

Hope my input helps...

• Advertisement

Thanks again. I think I will get it NCT'd and go from there. I might try save over next year and good a chunk of money for a kia or something like that .

I think your right about dacia its a even cheaper Renault.I just thought it might be affordable .while it is its just not a good decision right now.

I was between too minds but don't think I'll go finance

consider, maybe one of these if you want to upgrade car to something reliable, modern and cheap to run but that you could buy with cash and not have to finance.

http://cars.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/toyota-corolla/7814179
    http://cars.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sal...-4-d4d/7746122

Having drove a 1.4 d4d corolla I must say they are a very decent drive for a relatively small capacity diesel engine. If I were to go down the small capacity diesel route one would be pretty high up in my wish list.

Having said that both them cars seem bloody expensive for what they are, both approaching 10 years old. The first one has 140k miles up on it...thats a lot for a near 10 year old car asking that money in my opinion. Not that the car wont take that mileage and am sure its good for many more yet but still its a high price considering those miles and that it a near 10 year old car. When I say that believe me I'm not one of the "its no good after 100k miles brigade" and like yourself being a Toyota fan. I'm not one to pay a great deal of heed to the year on the number plate either but remember a lot of people do put a lot of emphasis on that and it does put a value on the car to the car buying public whether you agree with it or not. I cant help but feel there is better value to be had out there. To be honest for that kind of money and that mile I'd want to be seing a good well documented service history....otherwise I would def be walking on. Granted the car looks clean and well presented though apart from what appears to be water stains on the front seats and them bloody Mayo colours hanging from the rear view mirror in one of the snaps!

Same pretty much goes for the second corolla except they have not marked the mileage in on the ad which is an instant black mark in my book (it doesn't cost any more money or effort to mark it in). That and the fact that no interior snaps so cannot see if there are marks on the seat but dont see any bloody Mayo colours hanging from mirror thankfully:P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,846 ✭✭✭Moneymaker

Just don't get a Sandero. You will hate your life having to pay for one of those. Then you'll see the depreciation and hate life even more.

Take a look at a Kia Ceed, Toyota Auris or Yaris. If you can afford the repayments, a Polo or a Golf.

Fiesta would be worth a look too.

Thanks again. I think I will get it NCT'd and go from there. I might try save over next year and good a chunk of money for a kia or something like that .

I think your right about dacia its a even cheaper Renault.I just thought it might be affordable .while it is its just not a good decision right now.

I was between too minds but don't think I'll go finance

My situation at the moment is I work crazy hours and really depend on my car for work due to lack of suitable public transport between where I live and work. The way it is I have quite a lot of stress in my life already so more I can be doing without. For this reason I place a high emphasis on a car that wont let me down more than anything else when it comes to motoring.

If it were me and I felt that Renault might let me down I'd most likely try to get shut of it pretty soon. Even if that meant what I replaced it with was older, a bit more ropey looking and less economical (just because the car is somewhat less economical in terms of MPG does not make that a bad financial decision either).... If I changed to something like that due to limited financial means presently then so be it...its a decision I'd be happy to make.

Don't get me wrong miss.aok I'm not implying you have limited financial means but as I mentioned in a previous post we all have other financial committtments or ways we wish to spend our money and am sure thats what your doing by saving which is admirable.

On the Clio though if you are intending keeping it for sometime yet I'd urge you to get a qualified opinion on it and the if the issues which are presenting themselves are likely to dodgy to live with day to day and likely to let you down unexpectedly. If that were me I'd be inclined to get shut of it and get something cheap and reliable to keep me going while I save for something newer as you plan to do....

Advertisement