Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Allsop Auctions thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,942 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

http://www.allsopireland.ie/auction/lot/40879

A bargain surely with tenants already in place? Suppose you'll be handing half of it over to the taxman but still, money back in 10-15 years if you got anywhere near valuation, theres a petrol station in tralee going for the same price nearly...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,741 ✭✭✭brownian

Thargor wrote: »
    http://www.allsopireland.ie/auction/lot/40879

A bargain surely with tenants already in place? Suppose you'll be handing half of it over to the taxman but still, money back in 10-15 years if you got anywhere near valuation, theres a petrol station in tralee going for the same price nearly...

Sold for a lot more than the expected.

How much did it go for?

• Registered Users Posts: 606 ✭✭✭Seamu$

How much did it go for?

€833k, €333k over max reserve.

Thats more like what I was expecting, feck knows what it would have got before the crash...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭GavMan

Thats more like what I was expecting, feck knows what it would have got before the crash...

Still cheap at 833 considering the location I would have thought. Good on the buyer

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭MayBea

Does anyone know when is the next allsop auction? I couldn't find this information.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 98 ✭✭GuitarMusic

MayBea wrote: »
    Does anyone know when is the next allsop auction? I couldn't find this information.

Thursday 10th December.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,078 ✭✭✭Muff Richardson

Is it possible to find out what the story is behind these properties? Have owners been chucked out due to repossession? I'm looking at a number of properties and these shady outside photos with no details really make you wonder what the history of the house is.

77A Foxes Grove, Shankill, Dublin 18 www.daft.ie/11138574

like the above, just like anyone else I'd like to get a bargain but it doesn't sit well with me if its someone who's been just tossed out. anyone have any insight?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,218 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

Is it possible to find out what the story is behind these properties? Have owners been chucked out due to repossession? I'm looking at a number of properties and these shady outside photos with no details really make you wonder what the history of the house is.

like the above, just like anyone else I'd like to get a bargain but it doesn't sit well with me if its someone who's been just tossed out. anyone have any insight?

what scenario woild fit well with you to allow you take advantage of a bargain?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,209 ✭✭✭mel123

What difference does the history make?

You can contact the auctioneer before hand and go and view the property so you know what your bidding on, your not expected to bid on them by an 'outside shady photo'

godtabh wrote: »
    what scenario woild fit well with you to allow you take advantage of a bargain?

any scenario which doesn't involve having a family chucked out.

mel123 wrote: »
    What difference does the history make?

a huge difference. I don't know if this is worth responding to in detail if you are asking that much.

if you don't buy it someone else will

• Closed Accounts Posts: 971 ✭✭✭Senecio

Let me share with you my story.

I won't link the add but the house that I have been renting for the past 4 years went up on sale on Daft on Monday this week. It is an Allsops auction scheduled for the 9th December. We have a fixed term lease in place until February next year and the advertisement does indicate it is subject to a tenancy. We've had no contact whatsoever from the letting agent to inform us of the situation and we do not deal directly with the landlord. My wife spotted a guy walking the estate last week with a camera and had a hunch and when she checked Daft on Monday ours was one of 7 properties listed. We do not know who the landlord is but believe it is not a private individual.

Now, for us this is little more than an inconvenience. We were thinking of moving anyway so what the landlord chose to do (or was forced to do) is not our concern. It just means we have nothing to fall back on if we do not find somewhere.

Hard to tell if it could be considered a bargain. The add only lists a Max. reserve which to me seems at the top end, but who knows what it will go for. I've no interest in buying it but was thinking of rocking up to the auction for giggles.

PS... If anyone finds out the place I am talking about and is interested shoot me a PM and I might be able to facilitate some internal photos. The place is in better condition (cosmetically) that it was when we took out the first lease. Can't say the same about the construction quality however.

mel123 wrote: »
    if you don't buy it someone else will

and that pearl of wisdom is relevant to what?

you might find it a bit more productive posting in some after hours thread, you haven't a breeze what you are talking about.

• Registered Users Posts: 530 ✭✭✭zac8

Allsops have in the past made a point of saying they do not auction repossessed family homes. Most of their residential stuff is repossessed buy to lets.

edit: http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/allsop-signs-deal-to-prevent-unnecessary-repossessions-29580169.html

You don't contact the agent to view the properties as they hold open viewings.

and that pearl of wisdom is relevant to what?

you might find it a bit more productive posting in some after hours thread, you haven't a breeze what you are talking about.
    You asked about history and I said it doesn't matter because someone else will buy it, so it's a relevant comment to make. If your conscience/morals won't let you buy it that's up to you, but someone else will.

I know exactly what I'm talking about, my family (immediate family) have been there unfortunately, it's something I don't bother talking about much on boards because u always get 'well no one forced you to buy' and all these unhelpful comments mostly from people who have never been in the situation.
    Maybe you know or don't know this, the banks can't actually turf you on the street in the literal sense with no where to live. I don't know if this helps your decision or not.
    I'm hopefully closing a sale myself soon, so I know what it's like to be in the market for looking for a home, so best of luck with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,245 ✭✭✭myshirt

If you are getting 'a bargain' in any area of life, someone somewhere pays for it. Whether it is a tshirt in Penneys or a house selling below rebuild cost. Someone somewhere is getting a kick in the stones. Don't fool yourself about that. Rock on. Do what you gotta do. There is nothing in this world free but the grace of god. We all pay for our sins one way or another.

If someone is "chucked out" they obviously deserve it as people need to be in serious serious arrears if it gets to that stage. Why should they be left living in a house they aren't paying for?

If it meant a bargain for me the history of the house wouldn't even enter the equation.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭liam7831

As long as no psycho lived there in the past and got evicted you will be fine

• Registered Users Posts: 19,657 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Lot 52 on the Allsops auction, a 4 bedroom house in Tralee with a reserve of €8000 :eek:

But then you read on
    This property is available for viewing on Thursday 12th of November from 11am to 12pm, Monday 16th of November from 2pm to 3pm and Monday 23rd of November from 11am to 12pm.

Due to recent flooding in the area viewers are advised to bring wellington boots.

Please note that this is an open viewing and no appointment is required.

zac8 wrote: »

You don't contact the agent to view the properties as they hold open viewings.

I'd like to see them arrange open viewings of the place I'm currently renting. The letting agent hasn't bothered themselves to inform us that the property is for sale so they're kidding themselves if they think I'm going to let them drag people through my home.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,245 ✭✭✭myshirt

^^^^

Could be bought by one of those REIT's, who don't really care.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,536 ✭✭✭✭ted1

myshirt wrote: »
    ^^^^

Could be bought by one of those REIT's, who don't really care.

No it won't , and they go care

• Registered Users Posts: 13,441 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

You'll be happy to hear that there have been very, very few "families chucked out" of houses they owned in Ireland.

Now, tenant families have been forced to leave, yes.

But very few family homes have been repossessed.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

Banks are mainly going for repossession for btl units ,
    or house,s where the loan has not being repaid for 2 year,s plus .
    Even if the house is left empty the bank still has to go to court to get it back.
    Some of the homes in the allsops auction
    are being sold by allsop for the person who sell,s off the assets of buiders or companys which went bankrupt .
    The money goe,s to pay off creditors of those companys .
    Most of the house,s in rural area,s being offered for sale are being
    sold for less than the value of building a new house .
    The price of most assets go,es up and down ,
    thats called market force,s .
    Some familys are getting help from social welfare to pay mortgages ,
    or part of the mortgage .
    You can get a bargain without hurting anyone .eg
    say you buy a pc or laptop ,or a hdtv
    last years model,display model .150 euro off the standard price in power city .
    Who are you hurting ?
    OR buy a tv on adverts.ie for 150 .
    That does,nt hurt anyone .
    you are buying a tv from 2011 for a good price.
    not everyone needs this years model.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,200 ✭✭✭Arbiter of Good Taste

Geuze wrote: »
    You'll be happy to hear that there have been very, very few "families chucked out" of houses they owned in Ireland.

Now, tenant families have been forced to leave, yes.

But very few family homes have been repossessed.

I'd say the poster probably doesn't care as much about pesky tenant families. Renters who are able to pay their way seem to derive less sympathy in this country than owners who can't. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,239 ✭✭✭lima

Who cares why it is being sold. Tough luck on the sellers whether they were turfed out with kids or not. It's nothing to do with you. This is capitalism. Pay what you think it's worth to you and forget about the reasons why it's being sold.

• Advertisement

Senecio wrote: »
    I'd like to see them arrange open viewings of the place I'm currently renting. The letting agent hasn't bothered themselves to inform us that the property is for sale so they're kidding themselves if they think I'm going to let them drag people through my home.

So we got the letter in the mail today from the letting agent. 5 days after the property went up for sale. They've asked for 1 hr per week for the next two weeks leading up to the auction, at a time that is convenient to us.I guess its not too much to ask. We'll do our best to accommodate them but I won't be giving the place a spit and polish.

Advertisement