Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

02 Audi A4 TDI starting sluggishly.

• 22-11-2014 1:08pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 691 ✭✭✭

Hi

My A4 is suddenly taking a lot longer to start, taking 4 or 5 seconds on the starter where normally it starts instantly.
    Don't think it's battery as it seems to turn over well. There's a harsher noise than normal too.
    It's just back from having a car kit removed but it was with a guy I trust so I don't believe anything was done to it there.

Any ideas before I bring it in next week?

TIA

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭dieselbug

Check if the glow plugs are being activated, if not check the temp sensor.

If they are being activated check that their not blown.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 691 ✭✭✭galvo_clare

Well the glow plug light is coming on. What's slightly concerning is that the sound is different. It sounds harsher somehow.

dieselbug wrote: »
    Check if the glow plugs are being activated, if not check the temp sensor.

If they are being activated check that their not blown.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 383 ✭✭Waterson

Good advise from dieselbug. Also avoid revving the car above 2000RPM. This can trigger the engine computer to switch off the glow plugs prematurely in a cold start situation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 691 ✭✭✭galvo_clare

As I half suspected, it was the starter motor.
    An exchange unit will be in it by tomorrow and all should be well.

Thanks all.
    Waterson wrote: »
    Good advise from dieselbug. Also avoid revving the car above 2000RPM. This can trigger the engine computer to switch off the glow plugs prematurely in a cold start situation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 383 ✭✭Waterson

Glad to hear you getting it fixed. Would never have suspected starter motor from the info given. Best of luck

• Advertisement
Advertisement