Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Dopey parents...

• 22-11-2014 1:38pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 166 ✭✭

I notice a trend in newer parents when they are loading their kids into cars these days.
    They seem to think the world revolves and stops around loading 'little Johnny or Mary' into the car.
    There is a school and Creche nearby where I live and the amount of times i see parents with the road side door wide open loading their kids in, I had to stop for 10mins the other day because of the road been to narrow and eventually had to give the horn a toot to get their attention, and i get a dirty look for that.
    Parents have some cop on, load the kids into the car from the path side, even if it means having to reach across the back seat.
    It only takes someone not paying attention for 10 seconds to wipe you and your child out.

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,797 ✭✭✭Kevin McCloud

Alot of the parents do be half sloshed on the vino.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 166 ✭✭DoomZ

I wish that was the excuse....morons.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,499 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Where did the expression "little johnny or Mary" start?

colm_mcm wrote: »
    Where did the expression "little johnny or Mary" start?

In the 1st post....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

DoomZ wrote: »
    I notice a trend in newer parents when they are loading their kids into cars these days.
    They seem to think the world revolves and stops around loading 'little Johnny or Mary' into the car.
    There is a school and Creche nearby where I live and the amount of times i see parents with the road side door wide open loading their kids in, I had to stop for 10mins the other day because of the road been to narrow and eventually had to give the horn a toot to get their attention, and i get a dirty look for that.
    Parents have some cop on, load the kids into the car from the path side, even if it means having to reach across the back seat.
    It only takes someone not paying attention for 10 seconds to wipe you and your child out.

Blame the RSA for it.

• Advertisement

Blame the RSA for it.

How so?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭goz83

How so?

"Buckle Up" :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,499 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

In the 1st post....

Nah, its something I hear people say a good bit. Specifically little johnny and little Mary.
    Not a dig at you or anything.

colm_mcm wrote: »
    Nah, its something I hear people say a good bit. Specifically little johnny and little Mary.
    Not a dig at you or anything.

Little Johnny jokes....he's a bauld bastisd

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,297 ✭✭✭✭Jawgap

Actually you're wrong - parents need to cop on and realise that walking their kids to and from school or, heaven for bid, getting there and back using a bike or two will do them and their at-risk-of-fattyness sprogs the world of good:D

I'd say there's very few kids 'have' to be driven to school / creche.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,711 ✭✭✭Joeseph Balls

Try living 20 yards from the school. When you do get by, there's someone parked in the gateway. Every fcukin day. Had someone tell me one days as i was getting into the car to leave 'I'll only be 5 minutes'.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,694 ✭✭✭BMJD

Jawgap wrote: »
    I'd say there's very few kids 'have' to be driven to school / creche.

I'd say you're wrong.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,297 ✭✭✭✭Jawgap

BMJD wrote: »
    I'd say you're wrong.

I'd say you haven't read the census data from 2011.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,065 ✭✭✭✭Odyssey 2005

Try living 20 yards from the school. When you do get by, there's someone parked in the gateway. Every fcukin day. Had someone tell me one days as i was getting into the car to leave 'I'll only be 5 minutes'.

They would only do that once,and that would be too often!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 873 ✭✭✭spiggotpaddy

Shocking, it's the way they were brought up. I blame the parents.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭goz83

There are a good few schools within a stones throw. Sometimes throwing stones seems like a good idea. The school on the Grange Road in Donaghmede has seen the behaviour of motorists decline in recent times. The ignorant numpties now park all the way up the road, a few metres after the roundabout, in the cycle lane, across the school car entrance AND in the bus stop :eek:

It's stupidly dangerous. They could park in the massive car park that is Donaghmede Shopping Centre, but oh God no...that would be sensible.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,207 ✭✭✭EazyD

It's particularly irritating when you need to be somewhere and the whole entrance to the estate is blocked up by bad parking (on pavements, bus stops, even the driveway sometimes). Usually women in mid-late 30/40's in their kiddy bus blissfully ignorant to the headaches they inflict on residents.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,969 ✭✭✭hardCopy

We should just ban all parking within a kilometre of schools. At least it would spread out the wildcat parking and guarantee a minimum level of exercise for kids.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,716 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

I'm ofton coming home just as secondry school finishes and I notice the kids crossing the road and putting their hand up to stop the traffic, now this is a town so we won't be flooring it but it's still very dangerous and these are teenagers, old enough to know it's not acceptable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭Kopparberg Strawberry and Lime

I'm ofton coming home just as secondry school finishes and I notice the kids crossing the road and putting their hand up to stop the traffic, now this is a town so we won't be flooring it but it's still very dangerous and these are teenagers, old enough to know it's not acceptable.

Utter crap doing that...

Blame the lollipop ppeople for this

All you need now is for them to walk into traffic like they own it infront of a speeding car or an emergency service vehicle is a hurry somewhere.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 268 ✭✭CorkClaire82

I pass a school every day on the way to work and it drives me nuts the way people carry on dropping their children off. One day i pulled up next to a car parked on the side of the road and got a dirty look from the mother and then the child threw open the door and hit my car. The mother didn't even apologise, i was livid with her. The child could do that when a car is driving by and do awful damage, or get hurt themselves. I wrote a strongly worded email to the school :-P no major difference but i felt better!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,872 ✭✭✭Sittingpretty

As a parent I TOTALLY agree with you. Getting a child out of a car on the road side of a busy road is moronic.

Unfortunately I see it all the time :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,029 ✭✭✭shedweller

I think its partly lazy arse parents, partly poor planning on the schools/councils behalf. Theres often inadequate parking at schools and where there physically cannot be more parking, theres feck all thought put into trying better ways to load/unload kids from cars.

And we cant all walk or cycle our 4,5,6,7,8....year olds on busy roads filled with all sizes of traffic in all weathers. Outside "The Pale" theres very little footpaths outside villages so the roads are lethal at the best of times. Just stand on the roadside at 09:00 on a school day and you'll see what i mean.
    All that said, i do agree with you OP. Theres a shocking amount of parents that simply dont give two fecks how much they block up the roads OR damage other peoples property. I have the dings to prove it! However i constantly remind my lads to mind other peoples cars when they open my door to get it and the message is sinking in thankfully. Pity they dont give a sh1t about anyones property at home!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,342 ✭✭✭alias no.9

Not excusing people not paying attention but you're seriously deluded if you think it's possible to load a child into a car seat from the other side of the car.

alias no.9 wrote: »
    Not excusing people not paying attention but you're seriously deluded if you think it's possible to load a child into a car seat from the other side of the car.

I have children, I have done it...i must be a superhuman....
    if you think its a better option to risk your life with a car....best of luck to you.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,221 ✭✭✭braddun

we used to walk to school on our own

I have children, I have done it...i must be a superhuman....
    if you think its a better option to risk your life with a car....best of luck to you.

Fair play to you if you have, I always have the youngest kerbside where possible but there's no physical way I could load him from the other side, even without seats for the older two in the way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,792 ✭✭✭2Mad2BeMad

braddun wrote: »
    we used to walk to school on our own

that was a time when you're parents didn't care if you went missing :pac: now its all "Watch out for white vans, and don't talk to strangers" :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,769 ✭✭✭Pinch Flat

Did this all the time with my son. What worked really well was placing his child seat behind the passenger seat.

See all sorts of dopey carry on around our school - one that is served by paths and cycle lanes - children exiting cars in stopped traffic, nearly taking out cyclists. Exiting on roundabouts or at one school in Dublin City parents parking on the cycle lane and using the right side of the car to exit into passing cyclists and busy traffic - utterly dopey.

There's a lot of people out there for which a 1km walk is like a trip up Everest, some parents would literally drive into the school if they could. We live 1km from the local school - we walk or cycle when dropping off. The HSE haven't been around to prosecute us for child neglect.

Parents driving cause mayhem and will gladly block anything in sight - access to the shop, neighbours driveways, park in grass and paths. All this to get their kids a few minutes walk or cycle to the school.

• Advertisement

Fair play to you if you have, I always have the youngest kerbside where possible but there's no physical way I could load him from the other side, even without seats for the older two in the way.

Well then.....Are you are one of the dopey parents referred to on this post?

Nothing can sanely justify loading childern on roadside, when there is moving traffic

• Registered Users Posts: 1,992 ✭✭✭Mongfinder General

Well then.....Are you are one of the dopey parents referred to on this post?

Nothing can sanely justify loading childern on roadside, when there is moving traffic

What if the school is directly facing a bee sanctuary or alligator farm?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,107 ✭✭✭hi5

What if the school is directly facing a bee sanctuary or alligator farm?

I hate to show you up, but again wouldn't the safe side be the inside/ same side as the School and not the roadside, same side as bee sanctuary or alligator farm?

I hate to show you up, but again wouldn't the safe side be the inside/ same side as the School and not the roadside, same side as bee sanctuary or alligator farm?

Sorry but that parking is reserved for the a$$holes who showed up early.

Sorry but that parking is reserved for the a$$holes who showed up early.

So do you admit a######s are smarter than u?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,872 ✭✭✭Sittingpretty

Not excusing peoplera not paying attention but you're seriously deluded if you think it's possible to load a child into a car seat from the other side of the car.

Of course it is, I've done it several times, what's the difficulty? :)

So do you admit a######s are smarter than u?[/QUOT

The smart option is not taking the kids to school. I chose this option.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,337 ✭✭✭lazeedaisy

I don't bother slowing, just flash them, beep them and give them killer looks,

Sure get to see the. Whites of their eyes,

That's nothing compared to the idiots who do a u ie outside our local school, again, I keep going and they have the audacity to be angry

I sart work not to long after school starts and have seen it all,

Give them an inch & they own the road, the Irish wave, WTF

Of course it is, I've done it several times, what's the difficulty? :)

Lifting a reluctant child into a seat at full reach while stooped down with other child seats in the way? Nothing at all.

Lifting a reluctant child into a seat at full reach while stooped down with other child seats in the way? Nothing at all.

A reluctant child is 100% better than a dead one- fact

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,094 ✭✭✭cletus

Ah will you go way, you'd swear there were children being killed every day due to being loaded into the car drivers side.

I've a 6 and a 2 year old, younger goes passenger side, older drivers side. If its particularly busy I'll put him in and then fasten his seatbelt from the passenger side

cletus wrote: »
    Ah will you go way, you'd swear there were children being killed every day due to being loaded into the car drivers side.

I've a 6 and a 2 year old, younger goes passenger side, older drivers side. If its particularly busy I'll put him in and then fasten his seatbelt from the passenger side

Good for you, what about all the near misses and anyway, I'm referring to the parents who spend 10 mins on the roadside with the car door wide open oblivious to the fact they are a danger to themselves and other road users, its because of us other cautious road users that they are not killed.
    Like I said earlier, all it takes is for a driver to be distracted for a few seconds and the outcome will be very bad for all.

I won't for as much as a second put my children in danger so take your drama somewhere else. Bottom line here your op is a whinge about someone delaying you wrapped up in pseudoconcern for others safety.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,513 ✭✭✭whupdedo

Make no mistake about it these parents are scum bags, i see it everyday outside our local national school, and most of them are people with sfa else to do for the rest of the day holding up the entire road to have a chat with biddy and paudie about the state of the economy, these morons wouldn't walk the ten minutes it take to bring the child down the road to the front door in case the little fat ****ers would pull a hamstring

I won't for as much as a second put my children in danger so take your drama somewhere else. Bottom line here your op is a whinge about someone delaying you wrapped up in pseudoconcern for others safety.

But, did you not admit that you already do load at least one of your kids from the side of the car if it out on the road? ...cannot make out the second part of your post, you appear to be a bit ranty...!!

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭shuffles88

Where I live 1 school is particularly badly placed on a narrow road that is the only way into and out of the town, so a very busy spot. Just a 4 minute walk down the road (probably even less) is a car park which is completely unused unless mass is on. Does anyone park there and make the very short walk down the road? Nope! They park all the way up and down the road causing severe tailbacks in the morning and afternoon when trucks cant pass or some idiot parks badly.

Some American schools have a good system in place where the school is set back off the road with a set down area in front. The parent rolls up, the kids hop out and if the car doesn't move on or tries to park there's a warden that will tell them to bugger off. Proper order:D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,513 ✭✭✭whupdedo

Unless you're under 5 foot or carrying a good few pounds over your ideal weight, anyone should be able to manage to take their child out from the path side of the car without having to step onto the road

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,267 ✭✭✭visual

Need both garda and parking warden to slap a few tickets on their car to change their selfish thoughtless behaviour.

But, did you not admit that you already do load at least one of your kids from the side of the car if it out on the road?

Big difference between doing this in traffic and when there's no traffic.
    ...cannot make out the second part of your post, you appear to be a bit ranty...!!

The rant is in your OP

10 minutes? Seriously?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,267 ✭✭✭visual

Need both garda and parking warden to slap a few tickets on their car to change their selfish thoughtless behaviour.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement