Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I love it when a plan comes together

• 22-11-2014 2:22pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,893 ✭✭✭

Background – I started running January 2013, was 36 then, now 38 :(. My progress by other people's standards is very slow and I should be capable of a lot more by now. The goals I've set so far, I think, been a bit too cautious and conservative, but only because, firstly I really have no understanding of the sport itself so have no idea of how to plan and progress properly, secondly I started from a base of zero and wanted to give my body time to adjust to the shock I was giving it (I was 5 stone heavier) and finally because I wanted to avoid injury. But I haven't been sitting on my laurels, I've still been setting goals and targets and working forward.

My runs now are: Tues, Wed, Fri 6k (though my app is now telling me its 7.3k!). Sunday 7k-10k (which included a legend of a 12k one day!) I feel comfortable enough on the long runs.

THE PLAN

I've spent 2014 trying to keep my runs slow and steady to cover longer distances, so much so all my runs are the same pace! Average pace on all my runs from 5k to 10k according to my app is 6:30 mins per km and that shouldn't be right, should it?. I have it in me to run at and average of 6 mins for 5k (clearly the park runs are telling me I do because I do them in 29 mins!), I just have to figure out how to do it during the week and then maybe break down into the 5 min figures!! In fact a pace of 5:30 min would be a lovely 5k pace! ( I'm not even sure if that's how you do it? Do you pick a pace and aim for it? Or just keep going and wait for your body to dictate what your pace is? )

Anyhow, I've cogged Pconn's training plan from Ronan's thread, so mine looks like this:-

Monday:I have planks from Shortstuff's log that I was going to do, but I also have an aerobic work out that I could chuck in, depending on how energetic I'm supposed to be on rest day?
    Tuesday: 6-8k easy
    Wednesday: 5k steady (with 1k warm up and cool down (which I now understand is to be ADDED on!! ;) ) I just have to figure out how to keep at a steady 6 mins!!!
    Thursday: 6-8k easy
    Saturday: 10k easy (I reckon I could increase this, but my 12k run left me with a foot injury and I don't know if that's down to lack of fitness or my runners, but I'm gonna be a bit kind to myself till I figure it out ;) )

I also cycle to work which is only about 15 mins each way, but every move's a groove!

I realise I have a nerve posting such a lame plan/goal in a sporting forum, and I know it's just a recreational buzz, but I've spent 2 years doing this without any structure it would be great setting into 2015 with it all right in my head so I can make every run count! So any help/advice/in put would really be fantastic.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 558 ✭✭✭ECOLII

Great to see this log up and running (excuse the pun)

Best of luck with the training.
    I realise I have a nerve posting such a lame plan/goal in a sporting forum, and I know it's just a recreational buzz,

That sort of mentality is something you need to get out of the habit of no such thing as a dumb question, only dumb answers so the onus is on people answering not asking :D

Any approach which has a sensible rationale for long term progression and getting the best out of yourself is what sport is all about,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,893 ✭✭✭Hannibal Smith

This is a trial week trying to see where I'm at and just getting back into the swing after me foot

Monday - tried the planks. ..holy feck! How can such little movement have me in a heap!

Tuesday - 7.3k easy (at this stage the 0.3 very important to include ;) ) It was my first run since the 10k on Saturday so it was lucky today was easy day :D . It was more about keeping an eye on my foot and just paid attention to it as it moved and landed...not sure new runners should warrant this much focus!

Thurs - 5 k steady with 1k warm up and cool down. Fog does not do my hair any favours! Still trying to find that 6 min pace!

Saturday - 7.3k easy. Did what it said on the tin.

So just a quiet week to get back into it all.

Next week it starts properly, I swiped my kids stop watch so I'll try and keep a better eye on things while im running.

ECOLII wrote: »
    Great to see this log up and running (excuse the pun)

Best of luck with the training.

That sort of mentality is something you need to get out of the habit of no such thing as a dumb question, only dumb answers so the onus is on people answering not asking :D

Any approach which has a sensible rationale for long term progression and getting the best out of yourself is what sport is all about,

Listen you just watch out for me in rathfarnham next year...they're gonna need special lenses on their cameras to catch me!

Jinxed myself by starting this log I think. I caught the rugrats' plague.

Tonight was the first time I felt decent enough so headed out. Thought for sure I'd never make it round. ..but not only did I make it round but I found that 6 min pace I been chasing. Not only that but 1k was 5:40min and I never even felt it!

I watched out for bad habits from bouncing to slouches and tried to knock them out.

I was half tempted to start my cool down a little sooner. ..but the theme from Rocky came so I had to keep pushing lol.

So 7k accomplished on a sick engine and a few kinks picked up on...not the waste of a Wednesday I thought it was going to be ;)

Plan completely shot to bits this week. Wednesdays run was way too soon after being unwell and meant I was dying again Thurs and Fri and under strict instructions from the boss not to even look at my runners!

I was working yesterday so this morning went out for a sneaky run. I wanted to face that 12k run that injured me a few week probably not the smartest after the week I had but I never said I was clever :D I needed to know was it fitness or new runners.

All was going perfectly well till I got to about 3k and the battery went on my phone and my tunes were gone! !!!! Ive NEVER run without music I need it to distract me when I get tired and I was gonna have to go 9k without it.

Anyhow my body got into a little rhythm of its own and it was lovely. I thought I was paying attention before but without the music it was completely different. I know what happened the last time because I could feel it starting again. My calf muscle was pulling a bit. At one point there is a hill which I didn't notice before and my legs were tired so I was going at it too fast....so I just slowed down and heyho it faded!

It took me about an hour and a half... I just took it slow and easy and just wanted to avoid what happened last time and I did.

Im reading Brad Hudson s Run Faster from the 5k ti Marathon. ...its all about adaptive running and approaching a plan to best suit your abilities and strengths. I haven't got to the plan chapter yet :D but it's explaining everything so well so at least im getting an understanding of what different parts of training are for and how they effect you so im learning so much from so many angles.

Next week is going to reflect the plan for sure!

• Advertisement

7k - 46 mins....2 mins faster than normal and that's just 2 days after a 12k run so by all rights I should have been 2 mins slower! :D. Finally seeing some progress I'm happy with. We're on the road!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭DarByrne1980

deadly stuff. great to see progress so quickly. And a relly cool log title!

deadly stuff. great to see progress so quickly. And a relly cool log title!

Hah! Thanks..with my username there was only one way to go with the title

(Pssst...Thanks for thr cheer. ..it was getting a bit echoy in here! :D )

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,182 ✭✭✭RonanP77

This seems like a nice log, I think I'll become a regular visitor. You're making some good improvements already but the only advice I would give you is not to knock too much time off your pace too quickly. It could lead to injury.

Other than that I'm pretty much clueless so I'll be a silent visitor :)

RonanP77 wrote: »
    This seems like a nice log, I think I'll become a regular visitor. You're making some good improvements already but the only advice I would give you is not to knock too much time off your pace too quickly. It could lead to injury.

Other than that I'm pretty much clueless so I'll be a silent visitor :)

Lol ronan...chip in all you want. ..its actually pconns training plan for you that I stole! :o

I know what you mean about the pace. ..I definitely want to avoid injury!!!

• Advertisement

I can't keep the same pace up for 5k...After so long going slow and steady I seem to have an automatic switch off but I think I have it in me Im not sure do I just need to toughen up or if I just don't have the fitness?

Is there something I'm missing? Do I have to be a little bit more patient or is there something I can replace?

I don't want to be flying along at 2 mins per k or anything. ..but at this rate if I only keep a 3k speed for 5km then that out of my total weekly run only 3km of that will be at a higher pace...surely that's not right?

(Pssst...Thanks for thr cheer. ..it was getting a bit echoy in here! :D )

ders just so much goin on on boards. i keep a log here as much to keep a kinda dairy of me running rather than anythin else. but its nice 2 get a bit of feedback.

Is there something I'm missing? Do I have to be a little bit more patient or is there something I can replace?

i dont have dat much experience but i know wen i started running i was furstrated with wat i thaught was a lack of progress. one of da coaches at da club then said to me to be patient. it doesnt happen overnite. and he was right . any of the da experiencesd lads I talk to will tell u that. i bet u will see a fierce improvement in urself in say feb or march but maybe not in 2 or 3 weeks.

i dont have dat much experience but i know wen i started running i was furstrated with wat i thaught was a lack of progress. one of da coaches at da club then said to me to be patient. it doesnt happen overnite. and he was right . any of the da experiencesd lads I talk to will tell u that. i bet u will see a fierce improvement in urself in say feb or march but maybe not in 2 or 3 weeks.

You're right...I should be more patient. ..but its taking so long! !! ;)

So my 5 year old has been after me for weeks to come on a run with me but ive been fobbing him off because Im not really sure how to do it safely for his ickle muscles etc.

Anyhow he doesn't get the whole slow and steady mantra so I thought something short and sprinty would be good.

So we did the diagonals from week 1 of the continuity thread. He goes football training on a Saturday so I thought that would suit him best. It was so much fun!!! He enjoyed it so much and I really surprised myself too!!! I think the pitch is a kiddy sized football pitch because the corners seemed very close to the goal...but it suited us perfectly.

Poor kid was wrecked so we didn't manage the whole 10 mins but it was great craic and I think I should get bonus points for managing to dodge the little fecker as he tried to block me over taking him!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,936 ✭✭✭annapr

Good luck with the training and the log. In my very limited experience, just following even a novice plan consistently will improve your fitness, stamina and speed. As the wiser people on here say, trust in the training!

annapr wrote: »
    Good luck with the training and the log. In my very limited experience, just following even a novice plan consistently will improve your fitness, stamina and speed. As the wiser people on here say, trust in the training!

Thank you. It sure helps to feel in control of it all :D

Starting a log right before the festive season probably wasn't my smartest move.

Runs have been a bit scrappy of late :o and it's not going to get less boozey for a few weeks yet!

Anyhow. ..tonight's run was fabulous. Its a bit warmer out there and no icy patches.

The last few runs I've been doing the route clockwise, which means a fairly steep long hill...tonight the hill was definitely much easier. Also I met a bloke running in the opposite direction who was moving like a gazelle. Seeing him I noticed he was lifting his knees so I started doing it. I probably looked like John Cleese :D, but feck it...it got me up the hill much easier!

When I started this log I said I wanted to break out of the 6:30 average pace I've been stuck in. Its only been a few weeks and tonight the average pace was 6:24.

Its only 6 seconds but it's 6 seconds in the right direction on a route that in April I couldn't run non stop without feeling ill!! And it means another minute off the total time.

tonight's lesson

- Knees up!
    - Work on tummy muscles
    - Remember how positive you feel when you're moaning tomorrow about how you're going backwards! ;)

7.2k - 46 mins

great stuff Hanniball - like you will be flyin strating off for 2015. the progress uve made so far is super.

Speed night gone to pot again.

I didn't warm up enough. Went too fast too early and tonight is proof I take my first runs of the week too fast. It was a disaster.

I finally am starting to learn the hard way the importance of warming your legs up with an easy run to prepare them for speed in the next run and then a recovery run the next time.

When I was out it felt like a waste of a run...but now ive calmed down lol...nothing is a waste as long as you learn something.

Tonight - attempt at 6 x 90 - (suggested by my boss) - total disaster. But worth noting for this time next year when I'm flying it! ;)

• Advertisement

Its been very difficult trying to get out the last few weeks...work, family and Christmas made it very tricky... Not to mention trying to sneak out on the boy who thinks he's coming with me on every run now (I've created a monster!)

Anyhow, 5th Jan is my 2 year runiversary and I wanted to mark it with a special run. When I started 2 years ago I used to see this woman who ran from my estate up to the small piece of area I was using. I thought she was an Olympian! Over the last couple of years I have run from my house up to the stretch of ground... but never the long route she did. Its a massive climb! But Jan 5th I was planning on giving it a bash and to be honest its the only thing that's kept me going out even on the scraps of runs over the last few weeks. I had a concern that I'd get to my old 'landmarks' and have to stop and then I'd have cried lol.

Anyhow Santa brought me a garmin and I just had to try it out :D. So Christmas morning when the boys were happily munching on selection boxes I chucked me runners on and decided to go for it. It was just amazing! I just took it handy and when I got up to my old haunt it was surreal. Its been a good while since I ran up there and I saw where I used to stop. The last bit there's a really steep climb and I could never do it but it was no bother.

Got up to the top and I stopped. Not because I had to, just to take it all in really lol. In the end the big olympic run that I was intimidated by was only 5k there and back. I remembered to pause the garmin when I stopped so it was 10k in 1:02. But it was more of a personal achievement of doing it rather than a functional run.

So that's it. All the 2014 boxes ticked. I'm tempted to do the raheny 5 in a few weeks but the logistics of getting there requires a bit of planning that my Christmas brain isn't ready for. If i don't make it I'll stick in a park run at least and then start figuring out a calendar for the year..for the craic!!!

great story! delighted that u got that olympic run. really satisfying

great story! delighted that u got that olympic run. really satisfying

Haahaa thanks. I was full sure it was a long trek thats why I never tackled it and laughed to myself when I got to the top and to see it was only 5k.

Im looking forward to Jan and getting the plan in proper swing.

Tue 30/12/14

7.22k easy - 45:49

Absolutely delighted. I slogged around and thought the results would be slower than ever, but they're in fact a little faster.

Lessons from this run:-

- Pushing from my foot on the ground (if that makes sense) makes things move a little faster and mixing it with lifting my knees higher as per the last run makes things an awful lot more comfortable when your legs feel like lead!

- Stop eating Christmas crap....it's doing you no favours!

First crack at hill sprints this morning. Reasoning was that the speed days im finding really hard and I'm putting it down to poor aerobic ability and hill sprints are supposed to be good at improving that.

So according to my book your first hill sprints should be only 2 cracks at 8-12 seconds on a 6-8% gradient witha recovery in between which can just be walking back down the hill. Did a 2k warm up jog (I had to get to the hill ;) ) and oh my days it was so much fun! I couldn't leave it at 2, I think I did about 6 or 7. I only stopped because apparently if you push it too hard too soon you can injure yourself.

I walked and jogged the 2k back. But I definitely want more of that!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 34 2dizzylizzie

Looks like the beginning of great things! Also, Christmas is just impossible to push through without a little fall off in training and diet, important work starts tomorrow when all the Christmas foods and events go away...

Tonight was hard. I'm so glad Christmas is over. I promised the boy I'd bring him out tomorrow... Fingers crossed I'm ready for him. Good god tonights run was a sad reflection of too much partying and I am bookmarking this page for next year when I think I'll be grand as I'm downing the beers.

Anyhow 7 miserable kilometres in 46 mins.

Signed up for the raheny 5 mile but at this rate I'd be lucky to finish a park run!

Just saw the thread in events about some house mans athletic association who do loads of runs in my area so going to to do the 2 mile xc in firhouse...it'll be so nice not to have to figure out travel/parking etc

• Registered Users Posts: 1,388 ✭✭✭laura_ac3

Signed up for the raheny 5 mile but at this rate I'd be lucky to finish a park run!

Dusted off the cobwebs now so keep it up with a routine over the next few weeks and you'll be a bit more ready! Good luck with it.

laura_ac3 wrote: »
    Dusted off the cobwebs now so keep it up with a routine over the next few weeks and you'll be a bit more ready! Good luck with it.

Thats what I'm banking on!

• Advertisement

Sat 3rd Jan

Quick 1.5k jog with the boy which included a few sprints because he's a fecker.:pac:

Foam roller

So i saw Aldi were selling foam rollers and I decided to 'invest' in one. Once I wrestled it off the boys (I swear next Christmas I'm getting them a foam roller each!) And after a bit of googling on how to use it I got to work. Oh my God the pain! I clearly am not stretching enough.

Sunday 4th Jan

So I had planned on a long run this morning and considering I'm toying with the idea of doing the 2 mile xc next week I decided to take it down by bushy park to cheer on our bungy girl. There was a bit of a curfuffle before I left the house with the kids resulting in me leaving a little later than planned so I decided to run down over that new bridge between old bawn and firhouse. Only problem was Id never done it before and hadn't a clue where I was going. Plus I decided to get into the spirit of things and run over the football pitches which were completely waterlogged and my feet and runners got SOAKED. Anyhow after a few wrong turns and complete loss of direction I ended up emerging at ballyboden instead of templeogue bridge. Gotta say I was never so happy to see the morgue...mind you there were a few dodgy turns I took that I thought would land me in a morgue :PAC:

So by the time I got there the race was over. I snuck passed the crowd outside the club house...alas there was no one downing prosecco so there was no way of identifying bungy girl, but hopefully she did well.

I jogged around bushy park and back home. All the way my legs were killing me and I gave into it and walked a little bit. I didn't dare look at the garmin. I wore my old runners today because the last few runs have been so uncomfortable and I'm not entirely sure its not down to the runners I bought a while back. Friday I felt I was almost limping and yesterday when I sprinted after the boy my knee felt like when you hit your funny bone. Today I felt my legs getting a good movement going in my old runners, so I'm not sure if the new runners have too high a sole, or if its down to tightness given what the foam roller unveiled but I'll pay closer attention over the next few days and see if I can get to the bottom of it.

As I was running I was doing the usual 'sod it all I'm never running again..sod the xc next week and raheny I'm not able for it', but then I got home and my garmin starting beeping like mad (I did wonder whether we were both flatlining :PAC: ) but apparently I got a load of personal bests:

fastest km
    fastest 5k*
    fastest 10k* and
    longest run ...a whopping 14.85km!!!

*the 5k and 10k were only those since I got the garmin and are not my fastest times, but feck it I needed those badges today :D

I dunno whether I'll do the xc next week. The devil inside me is telling me not to be a wuss and to quote the original Hannibal Smith, run or die girl! I'll see how I feel next week and how my leg is. Raheny without earphones will be interesting I won't have Ugly Heart pushing me a long but I have a feeling once I get into a rhythm I can listen properly to me aul legs and I'll be grand.

All in all I feel great after the run this morning. I think im a lot stonger than i think i am and i look forward to working hard at tapping into the strength ive gained and move forward with it.

It was a lovely route with lots of lovely people and there dogs and a very kind gent who offered me a boiled sweet :D. I'm gonna sit on the couch with a cuppa watch The A Team and psyche myself up to using the roller again :D

Total run today 14.85k in1:43 mins

total distance this week 34:18km

Advertisement