Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I love it when a plan comes together

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,044 ✭✭✭chickey2

Well done on finishing the plan and best of luck on Monday!

So what's the new plan once the race is done? Are you doing the race series?

Enjoy your weekend of being waited on!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,893 ✭✭✭Hannibal Smith

chickey2 wrote: »
    Well done on finishing the plan and best of luck on Monday!

So what's the new plan once the race is done? Are you doing the race series?

Enjoy your weekend of being waited on!

Thanks Chickey!

*feels like the tracker bloke at the back of the bus* I dont know what a race series is :o Am i allowed say that? :o I want to do the Half marathon in Sept. And i found a plan on cool runnings that i like the look of. I'll be racing my brother so there will be NO messin on this one ;)

Just googled the race series...thats the hm i was going to enter. Just see the other ones too...i like the look of the other races...but the cost sure adds up!!

Yeah, but you get a discount if you sign up for more than one race. I think I'll do the 5mile, 10 mile and half. I did the 10 mile and half last year so I want to see how much I've improved. They're great races, very well organised and worth the money I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,355 ✭✭✭Bungy Girl

I'll be racing my brother so there will be NO messin on this one ;)

Is this the smackdown for the fastest half marathoner in the family? Reminds me of Ross and Monica and the Geller Cup, lol.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,936 ✭✭✭annapr

Yeah, but you get a discount if you sign up for more than one race. I think I'll do the 5mile, 10 mile and half. I did the 10 mile and half last year so I want to see how much I've improved. They're great races, very well organised and worth the money I think.

+1 if you do all four its €65... great deal... you even get a mug for the five mile :P Hope they fix the t-shirts this year though!

• Advertisement

Ooh i'll have another look so. Funny a hm in 12 weeks sounds grand but 10 mile sounds massive!!
    Bungy Girl wrote: »
    Is this the smackdown for the fastest half marathoner in the family? Reminds me of Ross and Monica and the Geller Cup, lol.

Oooh a trophy!!! Yes there will be a trophy now!
    annapr wrote: »
    +1 if you do all four its €65... great deal... you even get a mug for the five mile :P Hope they fix the t-shirts this year though!

Will look at this for sure...see if the dates suit. I need to be ready for this!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,009 ✭✭✭Firedance

Best of luck for Monday! 'trust the training' PM is right about the start tho, get as far up as possible, this is one race where starting too fast is nearly impossible! Also bring a black bin liner to wear because if its wet you've a long wait in the rain...

Best of luck on Monday, H... above all, enjoy the experience, it sounds like a great occasion!

Wishing you all the best for tomorrow HS ! Hope the plan comes together :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭Ososlo

Have a fantastic race tomorrow HS. You deserve to do really well as your training has been really good lately so you should feel very confident.
    Make sure you tuck into a bit of a group if it's windy for a little shelter in the exposed bits. ENJOY!!!!
    Can't wait to read all about it tomorrow!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,272 ✭✭✭Dubgal72

Best of luck tomorrow missus, you really deserve a good race. Remember, you've done the work so..... :)

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,136 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

All the best for tomorrow hs

Best of luck tomorrow HS, hope you have a great day!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 785 ✭✭✭Notwork Error

All the best L! Give it socks:)

Best if luck tomorrow! Don't forget to enjoy it!

Ppphooooo right here goes. I cant get into it and no report will follow. wmm 1:05min.

It was the crappest most pathetic heap of crap of a run ive ever done. Regardless of weather or wind. It wasnt a feckin race it was a joke!!! Why would you sign up as a white or pink bib to start walking at 1 k in and get in people's way? And then over take them, just to plank yourself right in front of them?

There was zero atmosphere , zero motivation. Every time i tried to push on there was some other ar$ehole walking in front of me.

The weather everyone had to contend with, im not even throwing that in the ring of excuses. The crowds were impenetrable. I couldnt get into a stride or zone or nothing i hated every step!

I lost all will at 9k and just walked. Shock horror i dont care...it was just the done thing apparently! I got over myself and the last finish was beyond anything i could have dreamed of. But then, any muppet can run for 1:05 and finish well. So no great achievement there.

Other than that im pretty happy with the result :P Saw DG on the way down the dualler and gave her a shout...also think i saw marthastew? But not sure if that was an apparition?

Onwards and upwards, Muler's given me a week off before i start the hm plan, so looking forward to a few beautiful watch free runs over the next few days.

Just to say thanks to everyone who's helped and advised on here, I promise I did listen and i enjoyed taking it all onboard.

Ive said all my thanks to the Muler and Ecoli, but i have to say the hubby is unreal. He doesnt get it, but he supports it so what more can you ask. :pac:

Hah! Got into it fairly well for some one who said they werent getting into it :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭Ososlo

The crowds were impenetrable. I couldnt get into a stride or zone or nothing i hated every step!

Sorry to hear about today HS.
    If the problem was mainly that it was too crowded to run properly, would you not consider entering another 10k in the next week or two to give it a proper shot and get the result you deserve? You've trained really well for the distance to have a good shot at a pb.
    Just a thought...

Sorry to hear it didn't go well but that was a pretty good time considering you walked part of it!
    Enjoy your break from the plan!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,272 ✭✭✭Dubgal72

Chalk it up, I can't imagine elbowing and dodging that many people. I had the elbow out (and got tutted at haha) early on when someone tried to slice into a corner - with me in between!! - round a bend, I would have been bloody evil having to do that every three seconds. Thanks for the shout out, I think I was on the border of the misery zone then :D:D

• Advertisement

Ah HS, I'm sorry to hear you were impeded so badly. The Mini really is legendary for the sort of shenanigans you experienced. Sign up for a 10K organised by a club as part of your HM training and you'll have a completely different experience I promise! In fact....The Lakes 10K is on early Sept in Blessington - awesome race that will restore your faith.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,059 ✭✭✭Pacing Mule

I've said all I need to say to you privately earlier but will state for the public record that in those conditions both weather wise and crowd wise to get home only 5 min off your original target was a superb run.

Congestion always an issue with this race. It's not a proper race at all. Shoot me for it folks but that's the truth.

Weather was awful. I ran myself at the same time an easy run that varied from 8:30 pace right out to 11:00 pace depending on the wind. The thoughts of hitting 10k pace into that were crazy. At the time of that run I felt 65 would have been a great result for you.

And it was.

That was a sub 60 effort on a normal day in a normal race. Congratulations.

Week off from plans - go out and enjoy a run with no pressure.

I dunno about another race. Ecoli suggested the same thing. But theres something im missing when it comes to 10ks. Every single one of them comes off a mess. I need more experience i races, but less pinning all my hopes on races. And what if i do another race in 3 weeks and it comes off as crap and then i feel worse lol..I need to take the pressure off. The nerves over today were absolutely ridiculous and while more racing will help that...its racing that causes it lol

you looked completely in control DG total legend.

But i am definitely never EVER doing another WMM as a goal race. You all tried to tell me and i didnt listen lol. But never again!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 785 ✭✭✭Notwork Error

Ppphooooo right here goes. I cant get into it and no report will follow. wmm 1:05min.

It was the crappest most pathetic heap of crap of a run ive ever done. Regardless of weather or wind. It wasnt a feckin race it was a joke!!! Why would you sign up as a white or pink bib to start walking at 1 k in and get in people's way? And then over take them, just to plank yourself right in front of them?

There was zero atmosphere , zero motivation. Every time i tried to push on there was some other ar$ehole walking in front of me.

The weather everyone had to contend with, im not even throwing that in the ring of excuses. The crowds were impenetrable. I couldnt get into a stride or zone or nothing i hated every step!

I lost all will at 9k and just walked. Shock horror i dont care...it was just the done thing apparently! I got over myself and the last finish was beyond anything i could have dreamed of. But then, any muppet can run for 1:05 and finish well. So no great achievement there.

Other than that im pretty happy with the result :P Saw DG on the way down the dualler and gave her a shout...also think i saw marthastew? But not sure if that was an apparition?

Onwards and upwards, Muler's given me a week off before i start the hm plan, so looking forward to a few beautiful watch free runs over the next few days.

Just to say thanks to everyone who's helped and advised on here, I promise I did listen and i enjoyed taking it all onboard.

Ive said all my thanks to the Muler and Ecoli, but i have to say the hubby is unreal. He doesnt get it, but he supports it so what more can you ask. :pac:

Whoa Whoa Whoa! You're not leaving are you? As the say, keep the faith! Plenty more to learn and to improve on. Patience, it'll all come together one day and when it does, there's no feeling like it and that's coming from a guy with experience in the buzz department. It makes all the tough days where things didn't go right or where you didn't feel good worth it.

You'll suprise yourself yet if you keep chipping away.:)

No..im not leaving...gonna be honest i did think about it :pac: but ive achieved far more in the last 6 months since logging here and since 'the plan' than i have in the previous 2 years. Its only May and looking back on Raheny, Terenure and all the work i know i put in. I never in a million years thought i was capable of some of the stuff i pulled off. Last year a friend of mine posted on fb that she'd done a 16k run and i just looked on in awe. I never thought less than a year later I'd be doing it too.

I know it will come, i know its there, I just wished for a better woopah!!!! Of a finish to what was an immensely enjoyable plan, other than the meh ending.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,009 ✭✭✭Firedance

Definitely do another race, Dunshaughlin is a lovely course to attempt or as BG said the lakes 10k in September - tell no one except your coaches & just do it with no pressure and see how it goes. You will get there, keep the faith & well done yesterday :-)

Firedance wrote: »
    Definitely do another race, Dunshaughlin is a lovely course to attempt or as BG said the lakes 10k in September - tell no one except your coaches & just do it with no pressure and see how it goes. You will get there, keep the faith & well done yesterday :-)

You lot are my coaches now! Im an orphan of the Ecoli stable :D

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,136 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

Sorry to hear you had a bad day yesterday.

But to be honest, don't even give it a second thought. Sometimes we have a bad run and we need to analyse everything that led up to it and what went wrong and sometimes we just need to forget about it completely and just move on. I think this is one who just write off a bad day at the office and go again.

Everyone here has days where nothing goes right. There is nothing else for it but to write it off and trust in your training and know that it will be better next time out.

"Bad workouts and races -- we all have them and we always will. Accept that the body has an ebb and flow that we don't quite understand. Some days you just feel 'off.' As hard as it is to accept a bad workout or race when there are valid reasons, it's doubly challenging when there appears to be no reason at all. I used to worry about this, but now I just shrug it off as the quirkiness of the body and mind. Don't invest in it or over think it. Move on." -Greg McMillan

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭HelenAnne

But i am definitely never EVER doing another WMM as a goal race. You all tried to tell me and i didnt listen lol. But never again!

Sorry it was a bad day for you. All that weaving around people and stop/starting can make the Mini Marathon really frustrating. But don't say you'll never be back - i did it as my first ever race in 2010 (and loved it as it seemed like such a huge achievement and the atmosphere was great etc), then I started doing more races and didn't come back to the mini marathon until i got the time I needed to go into the front pen in 2013, and it was a totally different experience there - still a great atmosphere but much more of a race.

Target it as a goal race in a few years (or sooner - my time was 90 mins in 2010 so you have much less of a way to go than I had) when you're in the front runner's pen.

Well done on your time on a tough day.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,548 ✭✭✭Marthastew

+1 to what Helenanne and indeed everyone else has said before. I can see how frustrated you are after yesterday but it would be a real shame not to give another 10K a shot ( I LOVE the Lakes 10K but I've also heard wonderful things about Dunshaughlin) . The WMM is a wonderful event but as you found out yesterday it is not a race to be chasing a time unless you are lucky enough to be near the front.
    And that was me you saw, I was cheering as many people as I could see along the way but didn't see you. I'm just back from injury so I had a great day yesterday, ran nice and easy and enjoyed the fun along the way.

I hope you're recovering well and don't despair, we all have really bad racing days and the only thing we can do is learn from them and pick ourselves up and get back out there again.
    Hope to see you at a race again soon

Advertisement