Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I love it when a plan comes together

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭kit3

Take it easy on yourself. I think most people have days like this no matter what stage they are at but especially when they are building like you are. Chill out & tomorrow is another day. You'll get there because you are well determined :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,610 ✭✭✭yaboya1

If you ask me*, it's your body rebelling for not putting your beer mile training to good use :D

*nobody normally asks me

yaboya1 wrote: »
    If you ask me*, it's your body rebelling for not putting your beer mile training to good use :D

*nobody normally asks me

'Karma' then ?? (and you wonder why no one normally asks you :rolleyes:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,936 ✭✭✭annapr

*nobody normally asks me

yes, well there is good reason for that... :p

You know what, HS, I don't think there's any mystery about being tired... kids, work, running, etc etc... that'll do it. Even without the beer mile training...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,059 ✭✭✭Pacing Mule

Don't want to be a ballbreaker and all but do you think that 30 miles last week has anthing to do with it? It's a big step up and more often than not, the body will bite back when it doesn't like something.

Train hard, recover harder and all that jazz. Running is a fine balance like that, you want to do enough honest training in a week but not too much that it affects the next week as the main aim is to try keep consistency and gradual gains are the way to do that. No point in doing a ****eload one week if it hurts you the next week.

Yeah as HS mentioned already the mileage at the moment is very similar to what she has already been covering. Plan was tailored / cut back to be a continuation of the base already built with a gradual increase in weekend LSR mileage.

A few reasons for tonight as it turned out but main thing is that it isn't a lack of progress on HS's part, isn't a confidence killer and that's the main thing to focus on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,893 ✭✭✭Hannibal Smith

*nobody normally asks me

Right! Thats it! You and me .....Cabinteely cinder track.... Lets go!! :D

To everyone else...i hope its normal. I might go and have a chat with the aul gp see what he has to say for €55 quid lol
    Yeah as HS mentioned already the mileage at the moment is very similar to what she has already been covering. Plan was tailored / cut back to be a continuation of the base already built with a gradual increase in weekend LSR mileage.

A few reasons for tonight as it turned out but main thing is that it isn't a lack of progress on HS's part, isn't a confidence killer and that's the main thing to focus on.

Despite the anger, i was a cheeky bit chuffed at the pace....last time a pace did that it was 5:43 and i didnt cover it for a km i can tell you that for sure :pac: 5:17 was a nice surprise.

annapr wrote: »
    You know what, HS, I don't think there's any mystery about being tired... kids, work, running, etc etc... that'll do it. Even without the beer mile training...

Thats what really bothers me. I read the days off thread and a post about us needing to recover and rest days should be rest days. Last Monday I brought the boys to the park and had the best game of footie. This monday i was conscious of that thread so i put myself in goal :pac: Being is no fun when your 3 year old defender starts picking his nose as the 6 year old striker is charging for you! :D

I have to be able to play with the kids, it was the whole point and getting fit and losing weight in the first place.

Thats what really bothers me. I read the days off thread and a post about us needing to recover and rest days should be rest days. Last Monday I brought the boys to the park and had the best game of footie. This monday i was conscious of that thread so i put myself in goal :pac: Being is no fun when your 3 year old defender starts picking his nose as the 6 year old striker is charging for you! :D

I have to be able to play with the kids, it was the whole point and getting fit and losing weight in the first place.

I know, and if it doesn't feel like 'normal' tiredness, definitely get it checked out...

• Advertisement

You have to have some perspective when reading the 'days off' thread. It's entirely different for someone who doesn't have kids and only has to fit running around their work/partner. Of course you have to play with your kids & you should. When you have kids, work full time & still have all the house stuff to do something will give every now & then. There's only so much you can do. IMO you also have to have perspective when reading some of the training logs & take into account the life circumstances of people.

Before there's an avalanche of 'you just have to make the time', this is my opinion & coming from my own situation :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,009 ✭✭✭Firedance

hope you bounce back quickly H, I think this can happen to all of us from time to time, as Anna said if it doesn't feel like 'normal' tiredness (and I'd include the occasional bout of exhaustion in that) get it checked out. Otherwise hopefully a couple of early nights and easy pace runs will see you back on track :-)

kit3 wrote: »
    You have to have some perspective when reading the 'days off' thread. It's entirely different for someone who doesn't have kids and only has to fit running around their work/partner. Of course you have to play with your kids & you should. When you have kids, work full time & still have all the house stuff to do something will give every now & then. There's only so much you can do. IMO you also have to have perspective when reading some of the training logs & take into account the life circumstances of people.

Before there's an avalanche of 'you just have to make the time', this is my opinion & coming from my own situation :)

I couldn't agree more... every working mother I have ever met has occasional or regular bouts of exhaustion :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,355 ✭✭✭Bungy Girl

+1 to all the above. I'd suggest if you don't feel better after a couple of early nights, then invest in a trip to the G.P. and ask for some blood tests to include thyroid and iron/ferritin. You can be eating plenty of iron rich foods yet not absorbing it so no harm to check even if your diet isn't lacking. Hope it's nothing a bit of R&R won't sort out :)

Bungy Girl wrote: »
    +1 to all the above. I'd suggest if you don't feel better after a couple of early nights, then invest in a trip to the G.P. and ask for some blood tests to include thyroid and iron/ferritin. You can be eating plenty of iron rich foods yet not absorbing it so no harm to check even if your diet isn't lacking. Hope it's nothing a bit of R&R won't sort out :)

I said it to the gp before...he thought it was my thyroid and sent me for bloods and scans...but they came back perfect. So i left it thinking it was running related. Maybe it is maybe it isnt but might be no harm to ask him...it might be easily resolved.

Thanks guys..and yes kids etc do add an extra dimension to it all!!!

Race - Clonee 10k - 1:01:35

Was the most amazing 10k I have ever done!! So its still not under the hour and I wont feel like a real runner till it is. But it was the best I have ever run....ever...and the finish will have me buzzin for a while.

Kind of a pb because my fastest 10k is 58 mins with multiple walk breaks so Im reluctant to call it a pb :pac: This one was the best 10k I have ever ran!!!!

Massive thanks to Muler!!!!! Marthastew politely yet enthusiastically encourages you across a finish line...Muler roars at you till you get your ar$e over that line. I didnt know was i speeding up to get a good time or to stop him roaring at me :eek:

Will do a race report tomorrow....dying to relive it all!!!!

Ooh and met the lovely firedance too!!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,136 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

Well done, sounds like a good race!

Was the most amazing 10k I have ever done!! So its still not under the hour and I wont feel like a real runner till it is. But it was the best I have ever run....ever...and the finish will have me buzzin for a while.

Kind of a pb because my fastest 10k is 58 mins with multiple walk breaks so Im reluctant to call it a pb :pac: This one was the best 10k I have ever ran!!!!

Massive thanks to Muler!!!!! Marthastew politely yet enthusiastically encourages you across a finish line...Muler roars at you till you get your ar$e over that line. I didnt know was i speeding up to get a good time or to stop him roaring at me :eek:

WELL DONE!!!! delighted you enjoyed it and brilliant that it's your first you ran from start to finish - by the way, you ARE a real runner. Lovely to meet you earlier, was a pleasant surprise to see PM coming across the finish line, sneaky divils the pair of ye :-) will dig out the photos in the morning!

adrian522 wrote: »
    Well done, sounds like a good race!

It was such a great course! Everything was impeccable from the volunteers to the locals with the water! And pizza in the clubhouse after!! Just a shame their clock was a bit off ;)
    Firedance wrote: »
    WELL DONE!!!! delighted you enjoyed it and brilliant that it's your first you ran from start to finish - by the way, you ARE a real runner. Lovely to meet you earlier, was a pleasant surprise to see PM coming across the finish line, sneaky divils the pair of ye :-) will dig out the photos in the morning!

Was great to meet you too...haahaa right pair of sneaks...had to be done...no pressure that way ;)

The Morun last Nov was my first 10k start to finish but that was 1:04, then the Heart Run, but that was 1:03...so we're going in the right direction. Thank you so much to you and all your club mates it was such a great event!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭Ososlo

Great news HS!! Looks like you got yo mojo back big style!

• Advertisement

Ososlo wrote: »
    Great news HS!! Looks like you got yo mojo back big style!

Despite the clock...I feel theres a bit of a break through strength wise which can only be good. Bring on the next one I say!!! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 785 ✭✭✭Notwork Error

Haha, you're unreal for the ninja racing!:) great stuff, good to see it coming together for you in a race.

Clonee 10k - 25th June 2015 1:01:35

2 miles into the LSR on Sat I was feeling a bit brave so decided to crack on a bit and accidentally hit a 9:39 pace. So plan was to head out at that pace and hold on to it for as long as I could. Tuesday was supposed to be a refresher to try and recognise that pace again come race day...hence the major melt down when I failed (by hitting way above it!!). I was telling no one about the race...it wasnt a goal race and i couldnt deal with the nerves.

Nerves were pretty bad anyhow. I was feeling very incapable at the start line and would have loved to turn on my heel. All day I was telling myself, the only thing worse than trying and failing is not trying at all.

Mile 1

Comfortably hard thats all you have to do. Head out at that pace, bag yourself a 9:39 mile and the rest we'll see about. So i headed out at a feel of comfortably hard. Was feeling a little harder, my legs felt like jelly and I felt rotten. This wasnt a good start. I was looking at my watch earlier than I thought and it wasnt even half a mile. Still it said 4:xx i think. So i was happily surprised that I was feeling crap because of speed and not inability. The first km followed soon after and I thought you're doin it! Youre well within the plan just keep going. The second look was pretty soon after and I was delighted to see I was well on target.

9:17

Mile 2

Im going to mix kms and miles up a bit so it'll probably be a bit off the mark from here on, but its as close as I can remember. Km 2 was covered and km 3 was coming up. I totally got confused in my head and took the 3km mark for a 3 mile one. Madness took over as I was delighted with myself for being half way through!!!! I was still well on target. The first mile was great to have in the bag and I was feeling i really could get below 60 mins. I was closing in on Green Vest girl which was giving me a great bit of confidence. I wasnt feeling great though. I was in a bit of hell tbh. Time to take stock...i was breathing heavy...but it didnt matter..i was half way *rollseyes*. Comfortably hard will do it. You dont need to be floggin the b*ll*x off yourself. Readjust and keep it together and you could just get this.

10:00

Mile 3

Around 3.5km I realised my km/m confusion...I was no where near half way lol. But no matter...repeat the mantra comfortably hard. 2 km in you were feeling crap, but you got over it...this is a piece of pi$$ now. You so have a sub 60. You are balancing it perfectly, any faster your lungs cant handle it, any slower and you're giving up. This is feeling so controlled, you might just do this!

Green vest had over taken me somewhere here. But i looked at her, she was running on grass, maybe she's injured, she's suffering somehow if shes choosing hilly grass over a flat road. Looked at my watch 2.95 and twenty something minutes, if you go for that road sign a head you could get a really good 5k pb (my mid race calculations are not great :pac: ) and i could suck the confidence out of Green Vest if I storm passed her. So i picked it up and RAAAAAAN. Dont stop till you hear that beep!!! Ran for it, the beep went but there is no 5k mark. I started a bit further back, maybe my watch is a bit off, so i had to reignite a sprint and run for 5k but it was over 30 mins. Bugger! Still 30 mins at this stage is better than you've ever done in a 10k you're still in with a shot.

10:03

Mile 4

My breathing has gone to pot again. Get a grip on it. Muler only said you had to go at the agreed pace for as long as I could. At this point I still believed I was doing this pace. I was only concentrating on matching up with the km markers at this stage. I knew I'd lost time somewhere and i had no time to spare. Still you did what was asked and then i said hang on...you know damn well what he meant, he never meant give up because it might be a little tiring. Comfortably hard. Come on. But it was hard so i had to readjust. 6k marker...36 mins...Im flying there is still hope here! In ultimate wisdom i some how thought I could use km 6-8 to recover and 8-9 for comfortably hard again. Two 9:39 kms at the end might just rescue you. It was my only option because my lungs were really working hard. Tues was fresh in my head and I didnt want to blow up again. So I eased off, nothing major I still took advantage of any downward slope.

Around 7km there was a water station with a girl almost pleading with me to take her cup. I took it, but couldnt drink it. So i thought just pour it over your head. Bad idea. It was icy cold..brain freeze..shock to lungs...im dying lol. Pace takes a massive hit Green Vest over takes me. Its all going to pot!

10:24
    Mile 5

I think these ^^^ are just headings now, I think Ive well muddled it all up :pac: Anyhow...here comes 8k...looked at my watch 49 mins. Bugger. That plan about trying to recover and then pick up at the last 2 may not have been my brightest. But ive picked up the pace so many times at the end of training runs, you know how to do this. Come on. So i passed green vest and vowed that would be the last time I would see here. The music in my ears was all that was keeping me going. Fartlekking was being used to the max, anything to keep the concentration going...i had to recover a bit, green vest over took me and gave me a friendly wave and I knew she was gone. We shared a friendly laugh but i was a bit gutted. I was so wrecked the only choice i had was to forget watches and timings and go by feel. Comfortably hard, will do this. There is a sliver of a chance. So many twists and turns ..I saw 2 large eagles on gate posts and recognised them from the first km. 9km is somewhere soon, come on!!!

10:06

Mile 6

^^Yup, deffo just a heading now but Im on a roll and no time to figure it out.

I see a piece of white in the grass, is that it? Yup! Good god its nearly over. Suddenly I think of Marthastew. Are you having fun? Are you enjoying it? You should be miserable right now come on!!! I watch green vest, the finish has to be close. No chance Im looking at the watch. If i see her hare for something I'll know thats the finish. It has to be around this next bend. Then I see Muler and my hopes dashed! I was a bit worried at the start that I would be last because there were so few and were all club runners. Joking he said if he thought that was likely hed run back and get me. And i said noooo way!! Only thing worse than coming last was to be brought home last :pac: We exhanged some words, I cant remember what he gave me water, I spat it out *morto* and he ran in front of me. But no I wasnt happy with that. I had worked so hard and I felt I paced it so well and i had a plan, I didnt need to be brought home. Stubborn fecker :D

I must have communicated it somehow because next he was behind me. But then I could hear my breathing, it was out of control! No way should it be like this, I paced evenly it should be steady, i sound like a train. How can I hear this so loudly? Where's the music? My earphones are down around my knees, I must have taken them out to talk to Muler. Sh*t! Im not in control at all!!! Alarm bells start going off, my legs, my lungs, my head nothing was right. I need to stop!! You cant stop now you muppet!! Get control of yourself. Sort the breathing and your legs will take care of everything else. So I concentrated and got it down a bit, I see a load of high viz jackets ahead that has got to be the finish. I pick up the pace a little. Then a f*ckin roar comes from behind me, 'Move it!! Thats the finish. Dig!!!' And i want to deck him :pac: but he's right to hell with it all!!! I moved my a$$ as fast as I could. The finish was blurry there was noise everywhere a roaring Mule behind me....just flippin keep going!!!!

Of course Im disappointed not to have got under 60 mins. But I couldnt have done any better. Any faster would have wrecked the whole thing. But I never gave up hope and fought as hard as I could so ultimately I am proud of what I did. :)

I am so sorry for the length of it :o

Clonee 10k - 25th June 2015 1:01:35
    I never gave up hope and fought as hard as I could so ultimately I am proud of what I did. :)

and so you should be, all we can ask of ourselves in a race was did we give it our all and you clearly did, I know PM will have told you to run easy for the rest of the week and make sure you do, recovery now is just as more important than sessions & training.

We will see you back there next year when you're going for a Sub 55 or 50 ok??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,059 ✭✭✭Pacing Mule

Congratulations on a great race.

Ooops ! Apologies for throwing you off as such ! I had indeed said to you I wouldn't leave you out on the course last but it wasn't the only reason to be back there supporting you. It was a very hot and humid evening and I figured you may need a drink :D You communicated quite clearly I was throwing off your concentration lol so I did drop off and leave you to it. You got a very polite encouraging shout out to crack on to the finish. That's all ;)

Massive positives from this race for you. You did finish strong and had something left to really up the pace for the final stretch. You pushed hard (perhaps too hard for first mile ;) ) and when it got uncomfortable you held on, didn't stop, didn't walk, kept racing. You came away happy and not frustrated. You've shown yourself and everyone else here you have the balls to push yourself and really and truly smashed the ghosts of the mini marathon.

Agree with Firedance. Next year the sub 60 will be a distant line behind you. You're well on track now.

Well done.

Well done, HS! very funny report, i love that the splits were just headings, captured the mental confusion of racing very well :)

p.s. I blame muler, he delayed you at the end :D

Congratulations on a great race.

Ooops ! Apologies for throwing you off as such ! I had indeed said to you I wouldn't leave you out on the course last but it wasn't the only reason to be back there supporting you. It was a very hot and humid evening and I figured you may need a drink :D You communicated quite clearly I was throwing off your concentration lol so I did drop off and leave you to it. You got a very polite encouraging shout out to crack on to the finish. That's all ;)

Massive positives from this race for you. You did finish strong and had something left to really up the pace for the final stretch. You pushed hard (perhaps too hard for first mile ;) ) and when it got uncomfortable you held on, didn't stop, didn't walk, kept racing. You came away happy and not frustrated. You've shown yourself and everyone else here you have the balls to push yourself and really and truly smashed the ghosts of the mini marathon.

Agree with Firedance. Next year the sub 60 will be a distant line behind you. You're well on track now.

Well done.

Sorry...little battery left so have to make it quick lol. No need for apologies at all. It wasnt you it was my breathing. It really surprised me i thought i had it. My throat is sore today and my lungs ache so clearly my idea of control and that of my lungs are totally different.

Honestly that 3 mile pace from Sat that you sussed gave me more confidence goin into a race and although the splits above dont show it up as far as 6km I was on track. It was 36 mins at 6km....the good times are coming!!! Sorry for the spitting lol

Firedance wrote: »
    and so you should be, all we can ask of ourselves in a race was did we give it our all and you clearly did, I know PM will have told you to run easy for the rest of the week and make sure you do, recovery now is just as more important than sessions & training.

We will see you back there next year when you're going for a Sub 55 or 50 ok??

Sub 50...wouldnt that be nice :D
    annapr wrote: »
    Well done, HS! very funny report, i love that the splits were just headings, captured the mental confusion of racing very well :)

p.s. I blame muler, he delayed you at the end :D

Haahaa..I cant blame anything other than me lungs :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭hillsiderunner

I am so sorry for the length of it :o

No, it's brilliant :)

Well done on the result.

Advertisement