Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I love it when a plan comes together

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,355 ✭✭✭Bungy Girl

Bungy, I think he maybe backing out. This is serious stuff. If he backs out do I become family hm champ or do i still have to beat his last hm time? We said this was the championship race. So surely he backs out, he loses? Im hammering a troll doll onto a piece of wood as we speak :D

:D Absolutely. You automatically win the championship if he doesn't race. That said for full bragging rights you'll need to beat his previous HM time, what's the time to beat ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,893 ✭✭✭Hannibal Smith

He says 2:09, but im not sure he wasnt lying. Plus he was injured at the time so didnt put in much training so he kind of has an excuse. He's home next week so will ply him with wine and see what I can get out of him ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,044 ✭✭✭chickey2

You should be able to look up his time online!

I'd say you could beat that by September the way you're going. You just did it in 2:20 and that was a training run. Don't forget he has a male advantage so take that in to account when comparing times.

chickey2 wrote: »
    You should be able to look up his time online!

I'd say you could beat that by September the way you're going. You just did it in 2:20 and that was a training run. Don't forget he has a male advantage so take that in to account when comparing times.

Oh Ive tried. I dont want to rattle his cage on it in case he is backing out ;) But Ive googled hm's in Madrid and they all come up in Spanish :pac: If it was 2:09 on the back of an injury, I raise his interest and he starts full on training now, Im snookered.

Male/female advantage does not enter into it chickey...he wants to lay the start line with cake so I lose! This is war! ;):D Unless he forgets and then its just dandy :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭hillsiderunner

You can hit 2:08 no bother with a decent cycle of training. It's not Sept 2015 is it, you have some extra months right?

He's a chicken for pulling out anyway ;).

• Advertisement

You can hit 2:08 no bother with a decent cycle of training. It's not Sept 2015 is it, you have some extra months right?

He's a chicken for pulling out anyway ;).

Yeah. Im half way through a plan atm, which I started a bit too early. But it gives me time for holidays etc and repeat weeks when i do sneaky races ;)

Tues 21 July - 6 x 880 @ 10k pace with 2 and a half min recoveries (get me with me technical lingo! :D )

Gonna be honest, was dreading this on the plan all day. It said 5k-10k pace, but i really want to hone in this 10k pace. Not sure if Im thinking about it too much or whether I should be mixing the paces up a but obsession is what obsession does :D . As it turns out I completely misinterpreted what my watch was telling me. I held on to what I felt was a 10k pace and felt i did really well with it and was fairly comfortable. If i take away the internal alarm bells that go off just because I dared to add a bit of speed, I'd say i could really surprise myself.

All in all apart from the watch fup up I really enjoyed the work.

Wed 22 July 4 miles easy avg pace 10:53

Really surprised by the tiredness tonight. Felt last night did me some good. Anyhow took it handy got it done, all aspirations above my station solidly laid to rest.

All still good :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,009 ✭✭✭Firedance

Well done on the intervals :) perfectly normal to be tired the following day, id usually do a recovery run after speed or a rest day if there's one in the plan.

Firedance wrote: »
    Well done on the intervals :) perfectly normal to be tired the following day, id usually do a recovery run after speed or a rest day if there's one in the plan.

Oh really? Thats good to know. It felt definitely alot more like recovery than easy but i'll know for next time to make sure it is!

So a pigeon flew in...took the plan but left some lovely wine as a replacement. Naughty pigeon!! He very kindly dropped it back today.

Sunday 26 july 10.73 miles 1:59 avg pace11:07

Not to be wreckin heads finishing at 10:73, but wanted to explain why 10 miles took longer than usual.

Was a lovely run, down to Marlay Park round the outside of the park and back home. It felt great, not a bother. I was going to go anti clockwise round the park, but then a lovely hill opened up before me so went up that and clockwise around. Easily my favourite run to date.

Im so glad for this log for what im about to say. Would never admit this outside here. I keep having a recurring dream about 10k races :pac:

Dream 1 a few weeks ago I got to the start and we were told we all had to walk to the entire route. Any runnin we'd be disqualified. I thought wtf??!! No ones gonna believe i didnt hit my target because i had to walk a 10k!!! Lol

Dream 2 last week..i got to the classroom which was the start line and the course was running around on desks, which were set out in a circle, for 10k. I was 2 laps in and said ffs this cant be real!!!

Dream 3 last night...started off a 10k got a sharp pain in my back. Some mother f*cker had shot me twice in the back!!! :eek: :pac:

I need to slay this beast before it slays me :D.

• Advertisement

Tues 28 July 3 x 1 mile @10k with 90 sec recoveries

Messed this up a little distance wise by forgetting to add on the warm up I'd already done so mile 1 and 2 fell slightly short. But its felt great all up until mile 3 which was uphill against wind and rain but nonetheless was 10 mins. So if I could knock that out at the end I'm happy enough. Will have to cop on to myself more. Cannot keep screwing these sessions up.

Wed 29 July 4 miles easy 47:34 avg pace 10:39

Firedances advice about taking the day after sessions as more recovery rang in my ears, and that meant it should have had an avg pace of closer to 11, but I had a really bad day at work and I was really angry. So I decided to play a little game of let's not hit 11 on the watch. My legs were sore I knew I shouldn't be doing it, but its not as if I was cracking out 10k pace. I also just had my dinner 10 mins before I left so at 3.5 miles came a little burp and honest to God thought I was going to see my dinner again. False warning thankfully. Last split was the slowest at 10.58, so just about won the game too :D

Fri 31 July 6 miles 1:05 avg pace 10:58

The fact that that almost matches the wmm time is some kind of sign things weren't right that day lol. Was a lovely calm run. Im not sure whether to post this, so if anyone reads don't quote in case I delete lol. I was running along thinking how I've been enjoying everything so much. Not long ago it was part of my stresses, not its a full proper hobby. I am so excited about the long runs and challenging myself.

Anyhow I was a mile from home and started thinking of this time last year. By the time I landed on ecoli's plinth I was all set to give up. But picked up a few tips from him and headed into the mo run a little more confident. I remember the email I sent to him after. It was so lame but I was chuffed to bits that it was my first 10k non stop. I read that email last night and cringed lol, but it was amazing the arsenal I had to use to just keep going. Then I thought about Clonee. That was a completely different ballgame.

Then came the, but you still haven't got the times you want. And here it dawned on me :D a friend of mine last year did a 10 mile run and a half marathon. I thought wow, legend. I could never do that. Now I'm looking at the 10 mile runs thinking nothing of them. I did the hm distance a few weeks ago and it was only 8 mins shy of my friend's race time. And that's in less than a year.

After every disappointing result I've got up, got back out and kept plugging away despite feeling i have nothing to show for it. But finally I see the progress and I thought jees you owe this person and that person a thanks, and then I thought, maybe you should also thank yourself! Well. Thank feck it was raining, because the blubfest that followed in the middle of the street was nothing short of a disgrace :pac:

I'm not one for back pats. I will always tag a caveat on to any kind of such things. But last night it was just nice to indulge and even nicer to see when I got home that my mascara was in fact waterproof :D

Not sure if posts like this are appropriate in a log, especially at my level, but sure I'll give it a crack anyhow and delete when I cop on later :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,059 ✭✭✭Pacing Mule

/screenshots just in case ;)

Hah! Best it happens now rather than in the middle of the feckin hm!! :eek: or even worse at the end of the 15 miler :eek: :eek:

Something very suspicious going on re my brother's hm. I asked him again what his time was and himself and his girlfriend laughed. Asked for the name of the race, he keeps saying the Madrid HM but i cant find it or him anywhere. Im wondering did he run it at all!!!! Blows it all wide open!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,059 ✭✭✭Pacing Mule

Hah! Best it happens now rather than in the middle of the feckin hm!! :eek: or even worse at the end of the 15 miler :eek: :eek:

Something very suspicious going on re my brother's hm. I asked him again what his time was and himself and his girlfriend laughed. Asked for the name of the race, he keeps saying the Madrid HM but i cant find it or him anywhere. Im wondering did he run it at all!!!! Blows it all wide open!!!

Edit: I may have got him

Edit again: Yep it was him :)

Its nice when you can see the hard work paying off HS :) do you read the DCM novices thread? Plenty of great advice in there about recovery runs & keeping the easy runs easy. Well done on your journey so far & cant wait to see the progress over the rest of the year.

Its nice when you can see the hard work paying off HS :) do you read the DCM novices thread? Plenty of great advice in there about recovery runs & keeping the easy runs easy. Well done on your journey so far & cant wait to see the progress over the rest of the year.

I do indeed...not as religiously as i should but i am picking up a fair amount from it. Tbh i know well in my legs at this stage that easy runs shouldnt hurt and certainly not after the tues nights. Being in a bad mood is no excuse for Wed, but it explains it.

I do indeed...not as religiously as i should but i am picking up a fair amount from it. Tbh i know well in my legs at this stage that easy runs shouldnt hurt and certainly not after the tues nights. Being in a bad mood is no excuse for Wed, but it explains it.

Absolutely agree, you cant beat a good road pounding when you've had a bad day!!!

Absolutely agree, you cant beat a good road pounding when you've had a bad day!!!

I love my anger management runs! Serve the same purpose as a shed load of vino but without the hangover :D

Tell you what..there are more twists and turns in this log than an Eastenders christmas special

Left here last Fri feeling great...delighted with myself. Went on holiday. Destroyed it all!

Mon 3rd Aug 3.65m* 41 mins avg pace 11:14

Felt awful. Tried to blame the uphill...but the downhill didnt feel much better. Still hats off for bringing my runners on hols and actually using them. Put the awful feeling down to gluttony.

Thurs 6th Aug (not sure i have the dates right?)

Attempt no 1 - 1.44m* 16:03 avg pace 11:09
    Attempt no 2 - 0.25m** 2:46 mins

I was looking forward to this run for weeks!!! Its a beach run on Morriscastle Strand...i did it 2 years ago and was full sure i would really show all the progress id made. Epic fail!! I had to stop..legs and head had nothin. When i stopped i felt like I'd been hit by a bus.

Tried again...could not get anything going. So sat and watched the waves for about 30 mins :o It was pure heaven!

Sat 8 Aug - 3.25m* 37 mins avg pace 11:27 :o

Was nervous heading out considering how dreadfully the last two runs went. Was worse than i expected. Had to stop at mile 1 :o Normally I would be watching lights like a hawk from long before a junction anticipating how to run round the traffic. Today i was stopping at red lights, glad of the forced break. I thought just get to mile 3 you'll be grand then. Nope. Mile 3 i had to sit down feeling light headed and that was me done.

Sun 9 Aug 3m 31:29 avg pace 10:30

We're getting somewhere!! Headed out feeling crap again, watch took a while to click in...was watching it like a hawk full sure when it did it was going to tell me the pace was 12 mins it felt so slow. Watch clicked in...9:40...i thought huh? That cant be right...clearly it needs a bit of time to settle. Kept going looked again...9:39..it didnt feel that fast...thought maybe some of the weeks alcohol had seeped into its mechanism...but no...i was doing 10k pace and it didnt feel like it at all. So then it was on! No matter what I was keeping it up for a mile....just keep as you are anticipate the rise and falls above and just keep that pace till you hear the beep. And i did...first mile was 9:36!! Second mile 10:58 and third 10:53. The last mile was heading into slower territory so i picked up the speed and belted it till i heard the beep, it was a great feeling, like the legs were being flushed out.

At the end of it all, I cant believe how much damage can be done. I didnt even take the week totally off. I still got out...but really paying the price for it. Will never make that mistake again.

I met a neighbour on the way back who used to run. Says his best time was 52 mins for a 10 mile!! He was so lovely and very encouraging. Will have to fight harder so I have some news the next time i see him.

Oh and as for the hm...brother is not racing it. He's leaving it at 2:09 from his March hm. I wont beat it...but have to get as close as I can.

The End :D

*Yup Im logging every step to get as much on the meter as poss :pac:
    ** Cant believe Im logging this mind you :P

Tues 11 Aug 3 miles @ 10k pace with 90 sec recoveries. 1 mile wu 1 mile CD

Worth its weight in gold. Lost my mp3 and Garmin chargers. So went with phone in hand and strava app recording it. Up until now I've been using the music to power through the hard bits in sessions, which is grand when it's required. But when I was on the uphill and could hear my breathing I thought this isn't maintainable over 10k and it is killing me, sod the pace the app is telling, go by effort. Biggest eureka moment of the year.

Now just need to find a downhill 10k race :D

Mile 1 9:28 (yay!) Mile 2 10:28* Mile 3 10:25*

* These two included the 90 sec recoveries. So I'm hoping when the new charger arrives and I get the lap business sorted on the watch it will show a better time?

Wed 12 Aug 3m recovery avg pace 10:02.

App says 35 mins...but that's including faffing about with the phone before and after

I'll say no more about it :D

Had a look at the HM course map today. Bit of a 'holy f*ck what have I done' moment. :eek: I see the pacers stop at 2hrs which makes it all so much lamer :D. Anyhow Sundays run will be the course route. My only chance to cover it before the day itself.

Alls still good...though getting a bit real!!!

• Advertisement

Enjoy the recce, HS ! I did it last week and it's a lovely route. Just in case you didn't know, you can't get out through the Tower Gate at the back of Farmleigh as it's locked (only open for the race apparently). I went out through the gate just beside Farmleigh, up that road (uphill!) then a left at the crossroads to get back on course.

Great to know thanks BG. Have to confess not very familiar with the area at all. I know the 10k route most races use and the obvious road through, but its no mans land outside that so I'll be bringing a print out of the map with me :o

Be good to practice the uphill a bit more ;)

Fri 14 Aug 6.1m avg pace 10:49 time 1:06

Losing my mp3 charger is the best thing that ever happened. Running without it has been much better. This isnt much faster than my last 6m, but effort wise I glided along. Took the hills sensibly and pulled myself back when I felt myself lean forward. It was great.

Sat 15 Aug 3.4m avg pace 11.21 time 38:55 mins

The most important part of this weekend is tomorrow's hm tester. So did this early in the morning and followed advice from Muler to take it as slow as possible. Not sure 11:21 avg pace is what he had in mind, but thats what he got. Still no watch so phone was in my back pocket, which Im glad about because if i'd seen the pace while running i would have pushed on.

Sun 16 Aug 13.1 m avg pace 11:18 time 2:28:01

Plan said 12 miles. But ive a few things planned for the next few weeks and a very special route for the last long run of the plan, so I wanted to do the hm route. This was going to be crucially important to get right. Pace in the beginning had to be slow and taking in all the hills, twists, turns and most importantly knowing when the 'oh god i cant continue' was going to hit. So i set off with me route map.

Met Muler and we ran together for the first 4 miles. Lucky i did coz i really didnt examine the map as well as i thought :D . Was also great to have some one there telling me there was an incline, which was explaining why I was slowing without having to fess up :pac: . We parted ways at Castleknock Gate...I think? and he left me with very clear instructions on what path to follow, but when i got to Farmleigh i thought the gate everyone was telling me was closed, was the one that was open so went through it. I was wrong and ended up in a car park :pac:

Anyhow got me map out and tried to follow it as best I could, ended up back at the gate I left Muler at and thought get the f*ck outta here, if he comes back and sees im only here I will never live it down! :pac: Ran down the Main Ave, felt great! Absolutely amazing, loved every step. Was saying hello to people, smiling at dogs, laughing at kiddies. Pace was 10:4x the whole way...it was all great. Loved it. Got to the gate turned up Coyningham Road (?) and then it changed. Had to examine the map a few times to make sure i didnt go in the wrong gate. And started feeling really crap. The aul...where the hell is this gate...kicked in but kept saying only 3 miles to go. Turned back in at Chapelizod, I was starving way overheated, water was gone...had to fight every step, but i couldnt stop. It would be soul destroying to get to 12m and stop then. I had to recite the Alphabet, count to a hundred everything to keep running till the beep. Then I had to prepare myself that there would be a little longer to go after the beep, looked at the watch and counted to see how long it took to change and told myself to remember that for when I heard the beep. When that beautiful 13.1 showed on the watch I collapsed onto the grass :pac:

Couldnt give a monkeys now, no course excuses, no ability doubting....I can finish that course and might be able to push a bit more on the day now I know what to expect.

All is excellent :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

I think that gate at the back of Farmleigh is generally left closed. It's just opened up for the Race AFAIK.

menoscemo wrote: »
    I think that gate at the back of Farmleigh is generally left closed. It's just opened up for the Race AFAIK.

I think i know what gate you mean...i thought the whole place was shut, so when i saw the open gate...i went through it. Gotta watch them gates :D

Hows your training going HS?

Hows your training going HS?

Hi FD...its grand thanks. Still workin away. Times arent improving though!! Did another 10k on Sat was a lousy time again lol.

Really looking forward to the hm though. Got a 15m long run on Sun that Ive been looking forward to all plan. Going to go from Howth along the coast to blackrock eeek!!! And dart back. But without progress on the race times it feels a bit lame to be updating in here so was just leaving it to you experts ;)

Yeah...no way am i letting this one slip away!

Last year I read in Krust Clowns log about how he ran from Howth to Killiney. Thought it was an epic run that I'd love to have a crack at some day. Saw the 15 miler in my plan in June and thought i'd make a mini attempt at Krusty's route.

So yesterday I did it. Howth to Monkstown. Absolutely kicking myself for not pushing on to Dun Laoghaire but at the same time delighted to finally have tackled the route and the run itself. Would highly recommend it. Not sure if an avg pace of 11:25 classifies as a run lol, and when i hit blackrock it was one of those walk runs you see people do, creating the illusion of running.

I loved every step of it. Would not change the pain today for anything. Am set up for the hm nicely now. Though a bit nervous about the two and a half hour cut off...but feck it...ive done it more than once now...i can give it a good craic

Muler!!! Forever sayin thanks lol...but couldnt post this without saying it again. Thank you for all the help!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭kit3

Great stuff - well done HS :) Nice to achieve a target that means something special to you.

ps don't go reading UM1's log about the Spartathlon ;)

• Advertisement

kit3 wrote: »
    Great stuff - well done HS :) Nice to achieve a target that means something special to you.

ps don't go reading UM1's log about the Spartathlon ;)

Ah thats a walk in the park...im after a challenge tbh ;)

Advertisement