Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I love it when a plan comes together

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭hillsiderunner

Sun 4th Oct 7 mile lsr... Avg pace 10:44min 1:17 mins

2 and a bit laps of Tymon Park. Leg felt grand. Though I wasnt even half way through the first lap and I was all 'just x amount of laps to go...next time you pass this mark you'll only have x to go'. And I thought, this isn't like me at all. Long runs are what I live for, I love them and to be doing that only 1 mile in wasnt good. I was 2.5 miles in and breathing was way off. I didn't know the pace, but I knew it wasn't fast so no reason to be breathing so badly. Anyhow a big personal Dr Phil discussion with meself started and I thought are you not enjoying this and if you're not enjoying this, just pick something else, or figure out why you're not enjoying it. Before I knew it I was 4 miles in, in pure heaven. Breathing under control, in a nice aul rhythm and loving it. Fair play Dr Phil :D

I used to have that feeling on my long runs this spring; they were about 11-15 milers with significant hills and it would take ages to kick myself off the sofa and head out. For miles 1, 2, 3, 4 I would be ticking off the distance in my head .. telling myself that even if I got to 5miles and went home, it would bring the weekly mileage up to 26mile or whatever ....

Anyway, this would always go on for about 3-4 miles and then when I'd hit the first hill (in other words the first tough section) I'd start enjoying it and be able to stop counting-it-down ... basically all psychological really (but *not* anything special about Dr Phil).

What I'd give for a 7miler right now!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,893 ✭✭✭Hannibal Smith

I used to have that feeling on my long runs this spring; they were about 11-15 milers with significant hills and it would take ages to kick myself off the sofa and head out. For miles 1, 2, 3, 4 I would be ticking off the distance in my head .. telling myself that even if I got to 5miles and went home, it would bring the weekly mileage up to 26mile or whatever ....

Anyway, this would always go on for about 3-4 miles and then when I'd hit the first hill (in other words the first tough section) I'd start enjoying it and be able to stop counting-it-down ... basically all psychological really (but *not* anything special about Dr Phil).

What I'd give for a 7miler right now!

Ooops sorry Hills, just seeing this now. I can understand the countdown for a 15 miler with hills alright, but it was a bit of worrying to be doing it at the start of such a short lsr.

Are you doing Dublin?

One of the kids had legged it off with my watch, so hopefully dates are right.

Tues 6th Oct

5 x 1 min hills

Easily best hills ive ever done. Wasnt sure what pace to do it at, so just tore up the first few and then it slowed 😂 Leg was ok from what i remember.

Wed 7 Oct 5k easy

My favourite run since hm. It was lovely and handy. Pretty sure pacr was 10:44 or thereabouts. Loved it.

Fri 9 Oct - 3 x 3/4 mile @ race pace with 1/4 mile recoveries.
    1 mile warm up and cooldown

Mile 1 was fantastic. Motored along faster than race pace, thought jees see how long you can keep this up for. Recovered. 2nd mile was slower but still about 9:30p/m was delighted. By mile 3 was wrecked, leg started to hurt. Had to stop and limped all the way home.

No more running rest of the week. Leg was too sore on Sat anf head was too sore on Sun ;)

Wed 14 Oct 1easy 3 Tempo 1 easy.

First easy mile and Tempo mile were great, everything glided along. About a minute into the second mile the pain started in my leg. It wont extend properly to get a proper leg movement and makes distraction really difficult but i ploughed on through as far as I could, but had to stop. Rest of it was stop start till it got so bad i shouted a curse, stopped and limped home.

Hopes of Mo Run not looking great. Im like the sensodine toothpaste ad. I do my stretches when the leg hurts, but when it doesnt i forget all about them so i havent done myself any favours.

I would honestly jack the mo run in altogether, but former male model guy in work is doing it too and the banter with him is great. He says he'll be at the finish waiting and thats worth hanging on for ;):D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭kit3

One of the kids had legged it off with my watch, so hopefully dates are right.

Tues 6th Oct

5 x 1 min hills

Easily best hills ive ever done. Wasnt sure what pace to do it at, so just tore up the first few and then it slowed 😂 Leg was ok from what i remember.

Wed 7 Oct 5k easy

My favourite run since hm. It was lovely and handy. Pretty sure pacr was 10:44 or thereabouts. Loved it.

Fri 9 Oct - 3 x 3/4 mile @ race pace with 1/4 mile recoveries.
    1 mile warm up and cooldown

Mile 1 was fantastic. Motored along faster than race pace, thought jees see how long you can keep this up for. Recovered. 2nd mile was slower but still about 9:30p/m was delighted. By mile 3 was wrecked, leg started to hurt. Had to stop and limped all the way home.

No more running rest of the week. Leg was too sore on Sat anf head was too sore on Sun ;)

Wed 14 Oct 1easy 3 Tempo 1 easy.

First easy mile and Tempo mile were great, everything glided along. About a minute into the second mile the pain started in my leg. It wont extend properly to get a proper leg movement and makes distraction really difficult but i ploughed on through as far as I could, but had to stop. Rest of it was stop start till it got so bad i shouted a curse, stopped and limped home.

Hopes of Mo Run not looking great. Im like the sensodine toothpaste ad. I do my stretches when the leg hurts, but when it doesnt i forget all about them so i havent done myself any favours.

I would honestly jack the mo run in altogether, but former male model guy in work is doing it too and the banter with him is great. He says he'll be at the finish waiting and thats worth hanging on for ;):D

Might be worth getting that leg checked out at this stage ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

Got almost no work done today reading through this log. Probably the most entertaining one I've read, your race reports are something else. :D

• Advertisement

kit3 wrote: »
    Might be worth getting that leg checked out at this stage ?

Im gonna really concentrate on the stretches for another week and hope they work. I have a reminder on my phone now and the schedule written out so hopefully they work. Was limping around today so it clearly needs work. My main concern is Im missing all the session runs because of it and as theyre 2 of the 5 runs and theyre knocking out the next days run, im missing out on a lot of time on my feet and losing all the year's work. So i have to fix it now.
    Got almost no work done today reading through this log. Probably the most entertaining one I've read, your race reports are something else. :D

Wow Maximus, you know you'll never get that time back, right? :D Thanks very much. Sorry theres not a killer achievement race to reward your perseverence, but I'll get there eventually :D

Wow Maximus, you know you'll never get that time back, right? :D Thanks very much. Sorry theres not a killer achievement race to reward your perseverence, but I'll get there eventually :D

Ah sure there's much worse things I could be using the time for! I think all the work you've put in and the progress you've made is a killer achievement, fair play to you. And that race time you're after won't be long in following.

Ah sure there's much worse things I could be using the time for! I think all the work you've put in and the progress you've made is a killer achievement, fair play to you. And that race time you're after won't be long in following.

So they keep telling me!! :D

Whats your story? You obviously run yourself? Im terrible for keeping up with logs around here :o

So they keep telling me!! :D

Whats your story? You obviously run yourself? Im terrible for keeping up with logs around here :o

Ah I don't have much of a story yet, just trying to improve like yourself. I find reading other people's logs makes for good motivation!

Ooops sorry Hills, just seeing this now. I can understand the countdown for a 15 miler with hills alright, but it was a bit of worrying to be doing it at the start of such a short lsr.

Are you doing Dublin?

No DCM or anything else, I've been injured and was envious of you getting to do a whole 7miles! (on the positive side I'm into the return-to-run "sessions" now)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,044 ✭✭✭chickey2

Very quiet here. How is your leg? Did you do the mo run in the end?

Sssh Chickey Ive been keeping my head down!!

Leg was causing serious hassle. It was coming from all sides....my foot...my calf...my hip. It meant that every run i was hobbling home from. I iced, did stretches, which eased between runs, which meant i thought it had healed only to run again and it was back.

To be honest my head went soon after.

Anyhow it meant nothing done for the mo run. No training, no running even! The night before i agonised over whether to do it and the husband was like...youd be an eejit to do it...if your leg kicked in one mile in it would be 5 more miles of misery for nothing. I was never going to get a pb or any decent run out of it. So for the first time ever I didnt even show up :o. It was supposed to be my pb moment of the year...but ive no one to blame but myself for how it panned out.

So the guilt of not doing it got me out on the road the other night. After nearly 2 months it was a 5k bloomin slog. I iced and stretched as soon as i got in but its still lurking. Not hobble level...but its only a matter of time.

But my plan is...for the next couple of weeks to keep ploughing away at the 5k route and get the fitness back and then restart the 10k plan i failed on and hopefully come the Raheny 5 mile (if its on next year?) have something to work with.

Lame and all as the ambition is thats it :D

TL:DR Im grand thanks for asking. How are you? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,044 ✭✭✭chickey2

Hope you're going to get some professional advice on that injury, no point in making it worse.

I'm OK. Weather and darkness getting me down. I just need to htfu!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,355 ✭✭✭Bungy Girl

chickey2 wrote: »
    Hope you're going to get some professional advice on that injury, no point in making it worse.

+1 to this HS. Get yourself sorted so you can give the Raheny 5 a good bash (it's on 31/1 this year). We're all looking forward to that race report!

Had been thinking you'd been very quiet recently. +1 for a quick booking with a physio.

chickey2 wrote: »

I'm OK. Weather and darkness getting me down. I just need to htfu!
    Im not sure does it need professional help or just more attention to the stretches? I'll see how I go.

Getting you down running wise or in general? Its a pity we arent closer in pace we could organise acouple of evening runs. Though if i fall over half as much as i did last winter i may not be good for your street cred :pac:
    Bungy Girl wrote: »
    +1 to this HS. Get yourself sorted so you can give the Raheny 5 a good bash (it's on 31/1 this year). We're all looking forward to that race report!
    thnks for the date! Will make sure im in top form to bring home a good report. ;)
    Had been thinking you'd been very quiet recently. +1 for a quick booking with a physio.

I'll bear it in mind thats Hills. Hope youre back on the road again? (Please tell me i have it right and you were injured, im awful for mixing people up on here!)

I'll bear it in mind thats Hills. Hope youre back on the road again? (Please tell me i have it right and you were injured, im awful for mixing people up on here!)

I am back on the roads, 12.9miles last week with a "LSR" of 4.4miles! Feel like a beginner again ...

Thats terrific that youre back out there though. Interestingly enough a guy in work did the mo run. The only training he did was gym work to strengthen the legs and one 2 mile run the other week and he did really well. Maybe theres a lesson there about gym work?

Thats terrific that youre back out there though. Interestingly enough a guy in work did the mo run. The only training he did was gym work to strengthen the legs and one 2 mile run the other week and he did really well. Maybe theres a lesson there about gym work?

I think there's no substitute for miles really ....

All the same I do want to get into the routine of (body weight) strengthening exercises to help with injury prevention. After maaaaaany weeks of dodging it, have made some small inroads this week!

Now you have to sort your leg out and get yourself back on the roads ;)

Small efforts are finally being made.

Tues 24 November 3.4 miles

Yup im including the 0.4. Every step counts at this stage. Not bothered about pace at all at the moment, so left the watch at home and just stuck the phone in my back pocket for the distance. As it turned out satellite fecked up and had me down for a 3min first mile :pac:

Got 'attacked' by a boxer [dog]. As i approached him I saw he wasnt on a lead and I know boxers can be right playful scamps so I didnt trust this fella not to chase me. His owner was right behind him so thought i was grand. Till i saw the dog make eye contact with me and i knew i was in trouble :pac: Sure enough the little fecker bounced down on his front paws and was on for the chase. I let out the girliest of yelps as he jumped for me :pac: Myself and the owner apologised to each other. Not sure why i apologised but I felt sorry for the mutt [dog]

Run itself was a slog, but a lot easier than last week.

Wed 25 November - 4.6 miles

I dont care, that 0.6 is getting logged too :D Its all very slow atm, but its happening thats the important thing.

Fri 27th November - 3.9 miles

If i'd known i'd have rounded that ^ up to 4. Phone in back pocket again. App never clicked in so a sneaky peak wouldnt have made a difference. Had to swap days in work so was off today and moved things around to make sure I got this done. Legs were really tired. Kiltipper Road nearly killed me. But its done.

Sat 28th November -3.9 miles

Yesterdays non stats annoyed me so I had to go and do the same route again to find out what it was. An old app told me it was 4 miles...it lied. If i'd known the actual measurements I'd have done something more. Anyhow the important thing is the urge to get out was unaffected by the weather which was a beast of a thing to battle but I got round and it was MUCH easier today.

I think thats 15.8m this week. I plan on doing 6 miles in the morning* and that will be a week Im happy with. Meager as it is. The new plan starts on the 7th Dec so Im trying to build something to work with before then.

* Sun 29 November 6.4

Once i got out was aiming for 7, but the wind got the better of me in the end. Bit disappointed to have wussed out. But theres a whole winter of gale force winds ahead...the battle can wait till Im better prepared :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭kit3

Good to see you back L. What's the plan, what are you aiming for ?

kit3 wrote: »
    Good to see you back L. What's the plan, what are you aiming for ?

Thank you. Plan..erm...lol. I have a 10k plan lying around from the Mo Run that I never really put to use. So hopefully its not being cheeky using it. Only concern is whether I'll be able for it now, but theres only one way to find out ;)

Aim is Raheny 5 mile. Head down keep going for now, no idea about targets yet.

I don't care how lame...I'm so delighted with myself I'm doing a midweek update :D

So plan is Hal Hidgeon intermediary 8k. I'm waiting for the moment I twig I've bitten off more than I can chew but the mileage is too low on the beginners one. So I picked this one :D

Monday 7th Dec

3 mile run plus 30 min strength and stretch. Haven't a bog about the s&s but from talking to people I really want to get me legs stronger. All the workouts I googled had the same elements that an aerobic work out I used to do had so I just did that.

3 m run was feckin great. Watch still resting so stuck my phone in back pocket, but clearly never clicked record because I nearly cried when I got back, dying to see the pace and saw nothing. The last few weeks I've been like that anthropology picture watching how I run and pulling myself back up and it felt great on this one.

Tues 8th Dec

3 mile run...done nothing else worth saying. Oh except for, I saw my shadow on one stretch and saw my shoulders bobbing all over the place! And then I realised how heavy I land on my right foot and wondered if that was the cause of all the trouble. Anyhow I concentrated on evening the land on my left foot and got a beautifully smooth run out of it!

Wed 9th Dec

Rest. I have the next two days off so decided to change the week around to run in daylight!

Thurs 10 Dec

30 min tempo

Not kidding...was dreading this. Last speed work I did was on 14th Oct and my leg hurt so bad I actually cried :o . To keep things right I wanted to get the paces absolutely spot on...no more bravado or wishful thinking. Followed the advice re calculators and saw pace should be between 10 and 10:30. Felt really blue when I realised I'd be lucky to knock out 10:30 now. All the work during the year to speed up has been for sh*t. 10:30 (and lucky to hit it) is pathetic. Anyhow I resolved that it is what it is. No point whinging when I Sat on my ass for near 2 months. Excuses are no use, I could have gone on the bike to keep things ticking over but I made my choices, no point whinging now.

Instructions with plan says tempos should be 10 mins warm up 10 mins speed, 10 mins cool down. So finally dug the watch out.

Warm up was a pain in the t*ts. I kept looking at my watch thinking when you speed up this is gonna KILL you. Anyhow.... Sped up after 10 mins. It felt great. Just kept repeating... head up...dont look at the feckin watch :pac: When it killed I blocked it out and kept pushing. Eventually I gave in and looked at the watch 9:50!!!!!!!!! And i held it for the whole mile!!!! :D. I know its pathetic to be thrilled about a 9:50 pace for a mile but confidence is scraping off the floor ATM and its more than I ever could have hoped for this morning and its a bit of hope :D. I'm raging a little...I reckon if I hadn't looked I'd have kept going. But I thought just stick to the plan.

I'm chuffed :D

Good stuff, great to see you getting back into it!
    I'm raging a little...I reckon if I hadn't looked I'd have kept going. But I thought just stick to the plan.

Yes. This. The last thing you want is to injure yourself again. The plan will work if you follow it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,009 ✭✭✭Firedance

Thurs 10 Dec

30 min tempo

Felt really blue when I realised I'd be lucky to knock out 10:30 now. All the work during the year to speed up has been for sh*t. 10:30 (and lucky to hit it) is pathetic. Anyhow I resolved that it is what it is. No point whinging when I Sat on my ass for near 2 months. Excuses are no use, I could have gone on the bike to keep things ticking over but I made my choices, no point whinging now.

9:50!!!!!!!!! And i held it for the whole mile!!!! :D. I know its pathetic to be thrilled about a 9:50 pace for a mile but confidence is scraping off the floor ATM and its more than I ever could have hoped for this morning and its a bit of hope :D. I'm raging a little...I reckon if I hadn't looked I'd have kept going. But I thought just stick to the plan.

I'm chuffed :D

well done HS :) firstly, all the earlier work you did was not for nothing, it will take you less time to get back to speed because of it. Secondly, 9.50 is not pathetic, its your starting point and when you see it drop in the coming months your confidence will be bounding back.

welcome back.

Firedance wrote: »
    well done HS :) firstly, all the earlier work you did was not for nothing, it will take you less time to get back to speed because of it. Secondly, 9.50 is not pathetic, its your starting point and when you see it drop in the coming months your confidence will be bounding back.

welcome back.

Ah thanks FD. I know I sound like an awful grump, but I've been too gentle on myself and I know only too well that you give me an inch I'll take a mile!

There are a few tough sessions in the next few weeks and I need to make sure I know that if I wuss out this is what happens :D

Ah thanks FD. I know I sound like an awful grump, but I've been too gentle on myself and I know only too well that you give me an inch I'll take a mile!

There are a few tough sessions in the next few weeks and I need to make sure I know that if I wuss out this is what happens :D

ok so no more mr nice guy? I can do that :D

HTFU FFS!!! :p

ok so no more mr nice guy? I can do that :D

HTFU FFS!!! :p

That doesnt count if its cold and windy, right? ;)

That doesnt count if its cold and windy, right? ;)

nope, HTFU or go home*

*as fbot would say - I'm rubbish at this I feel bad for saying it :D

• Advertisement

nope, HTFU or go home*

*as fbot would say - I'm rubbish at this I feel bad for saying it :D

Feel bad? For feck sake, htfu. :pac:

bag-cement.jpg

Advertisement