Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I love it when a plan comes together

Options
1171819202123»

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 7,082 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hannibal_Smith

Was injured a lot in the year up to summer 2016. Got going again around August and apart from a minor calf strain in Jan/Feb have been going consistently. Have to watch it of course, but aiming to build the miles up a bit from now. Fingers crossed!

Maybe no harm to race a 5k to test your pace? If it fits the plan ...

It is probably a good idea. I have one final laminated park run token that taunts me. I will have to get my balls out eventually lol

Just took a look at your log. You're motoring along grand. I'm also pleasantly surprised that I could understand the irish posts lol. Delighted it's going well.

Tues 28 March 4 miles avg pace 12:19pm

This was the strangest jaunt out ever lol. Now to be fair at the start I was unlucky with two sets of traffic lights and was waiting forever for them to change. But that only explains mile 1, it doesn’t explain the paces of the other 3 :pac: . What makes it so strange is, I felt I was flying :pac: . That pace is my Sunday morning careful does it slow pace. I know that pace, it feels like a shuffle. This didn’t feel like that. It felt wonderful! I got down to the Red Cow and my legs felt so great! I turned around and completely floated back. Every foot landing felt perfect. The stride of the legs felt long and strong , I felt upright and my core was working in a beautiful rhythm with everything. I was singing along with my music. It. Felt. Terrific. At times I thought sheesh, I must be moving at some speed here, I’d best hold back lol. I was half way up the Belgard hill before I copped I was on it! At the top I felt the lungs starting to rattle with this bloody cough and I thought...whheeoooff that must be the speed I’m moving at, best watch myself :pac: . I thought God this feels so good I’m so doing the park run on Sat, I’m holding this talent back no more! :D . I even pondered should I stretch to a marathon!! I was feeling so great I was capable of anything!! When I stopped and saw the stats I honestly shouted ‘What the fck??!’ :pac: . It honest to God did not feel that slow. Anyhow what can you do. I got such enjoyment out of it I can’t see the bad in it for now. I might just hold off on the marathon training for a bit though :pac:

Thurs 30th March 4 miles avg pace 12:09pm

Now this one felt slow. Wind in my face for the first 2 miles. Thought at least I'll have it at my back on the way back, but I have never discovered that that is in fact the case. Anyhow, I thoroughly enjoyed it. It felt comfortable.

FrI 31st March - rest

My whole cough/chest disease took a slight turn on Thurs night and drained the battery. I felt rotten. There was no way I could do 3 miles easy, nevermind the planned tempo run. In fact after the school run I came home and fell asleep :o . I never do that lol

Sunday 2nd April - LSR

What strava caught: 5.6 miles avg pace 12:44pm
    What strava missed: 3.5 miles approx - pace unknown.

Felt great this morning. Better than I had the last couple of days. I felt bad for taking off Fri and considered going out on Sat instead, but I needed rest. Anyhow decided on a new route, up to Grange Castle Golf Club and back. Got to baldonell and decided to check the distance only to realise I hadn't switched it bloody on. It was a handy enough run, only challenge was over the N7. But it's very refreshing to turn back and not dread what lies ahead. Instead of a long slow drag uphill all the way home there was a lot of give and take, which was nice. Leg startedto really hurt on the way back though. It eased after a while but I need more stretching.

Not a perfect week by any means. Apart from the pain today, i really enjoyed each run. I don't know whether the physio will call me back in. I'm kind of happy working away on my own for now. But, a friend has asked me to revisit the scene of my horror goal race of 2015, the WMM I said a flat no. If it was a horror back then after 16 weeks training, I am facing down the barrel of a shot gun now! I told her I'm ridiculously slow and she'd be better off on he own, but she's morto turning up by herself so I think I'll have to do it :( . That's the long way of saying I'm going to have to start a proper training plan and it would be best if the physio knew nothing of it until I was half way through and flying it :pac:

Tue 4th April 4 miles avg pace 11:59/m
    Grand aul run. Again, didn’t feel so slow. But it was lovely. Forgot my socks so had to go with nude feet and got a blister on my foot. One of these days I fear the local kids in Fettercairn will be waiting for me to plod past so they can hop on me, dress me in aul granny clothes and tie a shopping trolley to my back! It would some up how I must look, shuffling along! :pac:

Thurs 6th April 5.1 miles avg pace 11:51/m
    As Miley would say, well holy god! The Husband, is doing the tour de foothills which we thought was the end of the month. However it is actually this Sunday. He's put a lot of hard work into it (despite getting the date wrong :pac: )so Sunday will be all about him and I couldn’t steal 2 hours of the day for a long run. Saturday was out of the question too, for different reasons, so I thought I’d just break it up and add a bit more to today and tomorrow which would lessen the job to be done on Sunday. It was just so lovely I would have kept going if it wasn’t for the short lunch hour. I was already taking the pee. There's a song lyric that keeps drifting into my mind when I'm out these days, i can't think of the song or the proper line, but it goes something like, look at what we would have missed. There are times I really don't want to go out, there are days like today where my leg really hurts again and I think why the hell am I doing it. But then you warm into it and all of a sudden you’re flying and you think, if I hadnt come out I'd have missed this feeling. It might be slow and it may be meagre, but I love it.

Fri 7th April 5.9 miles avg pace 12:03/m
    The kids were off at 12 today, which again removed the possibility of doing a long run. I reckoned I could go for an hour and a half, that should get a good chunk done. Was doing ok initially about a mile in I felt my energy just plummet, but I wasn't too phased, Ive ran tired before. Turned at the Blue Haven and was half way through that estate when I got some awful tummy cramps, kept going and breathed through them. Then they seemed to culminate in what felt like a fart. Being the lady that I am I had a quick look around to make sure I was by myself before assisting my trapped wind upon its journey, only to soon realise it wasn't a farted at all!!! Clench! Clench!!! I stopped running, terrified that there was no going back :pac: but thankfully nothing escaped. Phew! :pac: I was off again. But I really was tired, legs and mind. Between miles 2-4 it was horrendous. When I stopped to walk it felt like I had 2 tennis balls in my calves and walking pulled the skin tighter over them. I took several walk breaks and on everyone I promised myself I would cut the run short at the next junction. Every time the junctions approached I talked myself out of it. But I had nothing to keep me going. If it was the lungs I could breathe through it, but what can you do when its your legs? Anyhow as the last opportunity to bail out approached, I just couldn't do it. I had nothing good to take from this jaunt it was just horrendous but I couldnt bail on it. I knew when I got to the Old Mill the route back to the car would be all downhill, all I had to do was keep moving. There was a runner ahead of me moving beautifully so I just copied what she was doing and gradually the legs really started to improve. I copied her stride and the legs felt much stronger! The last mile was pure tantalising fun! It was downhill, but to go from such miserable hell into a rip-roaring bit of fun was such a flip. I saw the car and just sprinted for it. And that was it! My 'my what I would have missed'moment. I didn't think it would be possible for one to emerge today, certainly not at that stage! I didn't see until later that I'd just missed out on 6 miles.

So its just 5 miles for tomorrow which should be doable. No speeders this week. WMM is thankfully off the table again. Though I had myself psyched up to start a plan this week and was disappointed in the end. Maybe I’m ready! After a bit more stretching.

What happened to my apostrophes :eek: :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,044 ✭✭✭chickey2

What happened to my apostrophes :eek: :pac:

I was wondering that too! Are you on an android? Sometimes it does that when posting on boards.

• Advertisement

chickey2 wrote: »
    I was wondering that too! Are you on an android? Sometimes it does that when posting on boards.

Yeah, I'm on an android. I thought it was the iPhone boards didn't like. I'll have to go through my post and see if I can fix it. Tomorrow. Maybe :D

Wed 12th April 4.7 miles avg pace 11:58/m
    Felt rotten on Tues* so headed down out on Wed. It felt a little heavy and rough and certainly couldn’t add on the extra bit at the end to bring it up to 5 like last week. At one point as a source of distraction I picked a set of traffic lights ahead and counted how long it took for the sequences to change. This made me wonder whether I'm bored while I'm out? Would I have more fun chasing a ball around? Anyhow for now it was good enough.

Thurs 13th April 4.3 miles avg pace 11:45/m
    The Belgard hill must feature at least once a week, so today was the day. When I got back up the top I added an extra little bit because everything felt so nice. I can't impress enough how much of an improvement this is. Slowly but surely this hill that I used to affectionately call the hill of death, is becoming less and less if a hindrance and the distance in and out of it is extending more and more. I could have given up on this route a long time ago, such was the dread this hill caused, but I ploughed away at it. Of course I would love if I was faster :pac: but getting up it without near dying is progress enough for now :D

Sat 15th April 10.5 miles avg pace 12:44/m :o
    Not gonna lie, this near killed me. Total change of scenery, drove to the Red Cow, ran from there down the Kylemore Road, turned down towards the canal and then towards the Phoenix Park. Bit of a bucket list run tbh. I've always wanted to give it a go. The journey by the canal was beautiful. Took out the earphones and enjoyed the sounds of the birds and the view of the swans in the water. I'm always running by trucks and cars so it was a nice change. Thought I might be biting off a bit more than I could chew so I brought change for the Luas just in case. In the back of my mind I was thinking as long as I steer clear of the S bends I'll be grand. My knowledge of the PP isn't great and where did I land? Head first into the S bends which chewed me up and spat me out like I knew they would. I need to focus more on those strength exercises. I need to build the legs more. Ended up having to sit on a grassy knoll to avoid totally crawling. Very slow slog around the race routes and then kept going until the downhill died out/the legs stopped altogether. They stopped half way down the Coyningham Road and I finally gave in, stopped strava and dragged my sweaty minging post run self up to the Luas. Thank feck I thought of that money! I will try this route again, but might go anti clockwise round the park instead, it might be a bit more enjoyable. I suffered à lot through the park. By the time I got home I was a wreck, but the hubby being the legend that he is, made the most amazing soup. Cream of chicken with some egg noodles chucked in. Not feckin joking it was the best post run nosh ever.

Sun 16th April 3 miles avg pace 11:49/m
    I tried a tempo run, and held on for as long as I could, but after yest the aul pins had little in them so I died a death on Womble Hill and was happy to make it home. It was nice to have the safety of doing a loop near the house! Bit stupid to have attempted anything other than a recovery run, but sure I won't be told!
    *I hit some button on strava the other day and it brought up the last few months in dots. Not sure what I clicked and will have to try and get it back because it was an eye opener. I thought I had a new work ethic that was 4 runs a week hitting 20 miles. I have missed the mark more often than I thought. I know I have improved head wise and therefore each and every run missed had a good reason behind it. Still, when you see it all laid out like that you realise there is plenty more room for improvement. Furthermore I noticed on the, what I call skyscraper view, I could see that every 7 weeks there is a massive drop in mileage, where I get 1 maybe 2 runs in a week. Those weeks I remember because I feel utterly drained and feel getting out little is better than not getting out at all. I didnt realise the pattern to it until i saw the skyscraper view. So when I felt the slump on Tues I decided to take the day off but ride through it the rest of the week . I ended up getting a stonking week out of it. So I feel this was an important week to work through and I’m glad I did it. As my old misheard song lyrics goes, if I’d given in to the slump, look at what i would have missed!

NEED TO DO MORE STRETCHING AND STRENGTH WORK!

Tue 18th April- 4.2 miles avg pace 12:00/m

Tired and sluggish. Motored through, added a wee bit on at the end. Nothing too earth shattering.

Thurs 30th April- 3.6 miles – Tempo run avg pace 11:40/m

It started out as a normal easy run. Legs felt sluggish like on Tues. No way could i do anything but shuffle today, so was trying to see when I could tackle the speed work this week. Juggling things around in my head, mile or so in and then the legs just started working! Seems like I may get something out of this, Tempo day is today! Now not sure it qualifies as a tempo as I had to walk twice. But I for sure held it longer than an interval and controlled it a million times better. Need to walk aside. Given my slowness I aim for 11 mins for a tempo run. But this one start at 10:24 and slowly built up and managed to hold a pace of 9.24 for 3 mins. This is huge progress for me. Need to walk aside. To see that last part to know the control I had and to hold that pace is a massive improvement. For me lol.

I refuse to start a plan until I can control moving faster. Moving faster for me sets off alarm bells throughout the system. I do not absorb the pain, but these small meagre attempts at tackling it are helping. It was a nice go at it today . For me lol. And it’s rare I say that about speed stuff.

Sat 22 April 7.6 miles avg pace 12:00/m

Wasn’t supposed to be a long run at all. Lots of rushing about today with the eldest and his matches so just headed out for a short one. I also promised him I’d be back to help him practice his pucks-outs before dinner, but I was enjoying it so thought I’d do the long run today and I could still make it back in time. I was very unlucky with traffic lights and people asking for direction, but I really didn’t care. I loved it. It was smart and controlled. I’m beginning to lose the shuffle whoop Whoop. It was a similar route to a couple of we eks ago and made a much better go of it today. I really thought this was an 8 mile route though, was disappointed to see it was only 7.6. But I’m really happy with it otherwise. I remember posting before about this route and how I picked it for punishment. What nonsense, I picked this route because I enjoy the challenge and it’s nice to have my head back bloody in it! Oh and I got a personal record on a segment, been a long time since I got one of those :pac: .

Sunday 23rd April- 4.8 avg pace 13.32/m

Got an important phone call I had to take during mile 3. Forgot to turn off the strava...so now my splits look like they’re flipping the bird at me :pac: All week legs felt tired but ended up feeling better through out the run. Today legs felt grand going out, but ended up feeling progressively worse. I was all the time during the first half preparing myself for the hill at mortons. Finally got everything together, head, legs etc and bam...a phone call Ive been waiting on all week comes through :pac: . By the time I hung up I was well rested so my tackling of the hill is unreliable. It was slow, but if I hadn’t got the call and kept the head I may have faired better. Maybe after 10 mins rest I faired as well as I was going to today. We’ll never know :D . Just close to home I got another call but this time ran as I chatted. I was so surprised at the conversation I could keep up. I always think I’m dying at the end. Just goes to show I’m not!

Miles for today given that the avg mile is off were:-
    1. 11.43 2. 11.37 3. 19.27 (phone call mile) 4. 12.33 0.8 12 06

Twice this week I nearly got smacked by cars. Once when one broke a red light and second when a car failed to indicate. The OH nearly got knocked off his bike too when a car cut the corner in front of him. Maybe I’m so slow people think they can clear the junction before I place my foot on the road :pac: , maybe someone has hired hit men to do us in and steal all our millions :D , but it’s annoying when people in cars act like divs.

Tues 24th April 4.3 miles avg pace 11:38/m
    Just loved it. Every step was just so lovely. Loved it.

Fri 28th April 6.4 miles or thereabouts avg pace 11.52/m or thereabouts.

Strava screwed me over. Wanted to do the long run today. I wanted to go from Irishtown end of Sandymount to Dun Laoghaire and get the Dart back. A sort of mini version of my fave Howth to Monkstown run. No idea of distance but 8 miles would be nice enough. It takes me 1.35 hours to do 8 miles so just forgot about everything but running for that time. Oh my days I loved it. I just absolutely loved it. This is why I do it! Throw on your runners of a day go out and just keep going! I just loved it. The time absolutely flew so beautifully. When I got to dun Laoghaire I looked at the watch and saw I’d another 35 mins to do, so ran up and down the pier, took a left and ran passed Teddy’s turned back to be at Dun Laoghaire Harbour by the time 1:35 ran out so that I could meet the hubby and give him a smelly smooch. When I stopped and looked at the phone I saw 4.4 miles. Which included a walk on water across the harbour and completely missed out on my journey up the pier and everything after that. Not gonna lie , I was tired when I turned back on the pier and thereafter, but I would do it all again. I loved it. I fact I see where the watch stopped and if that is 4.5 miles, there should be no bother going there and back some day. All in all not quite sure what I did today, I am full sure it was 7+ miles. It had to be after an hour and a half. But I’m calling it 6.5 and will find out for sure next time.

Booterstown to car 1.5 miles 12.09/m
    Nearest station to the car that I could find my way back from. Amazing how grand you can feel after a break! Tide was in, sea sounded beautiful. This is why I do it!! Lungs felt terrific after today. Good sea air!

29th April 3.3 miles
    Could quite easily have skipped today. No mood at all. But was delighted once I got going. Still trying to find my groove with the speed, so still doing 6× 100 secs hard 90 secs recovery. I was going to be sensible today and even brought the stop watch. Big aim was to not walk during the recoveries. That took more will power than giving up smoking lol.

1st 100 – 9.19 – 9.48
    2nd 100 – 9.02 - 8.29
    3rd 100 – 9.51 - 11.29 (uphill against wind)
    4th 100 – 11.22 – 11.23 (still uphill against wind. Did not enjoy!)
    5th 100 – 10.00 – 10.09 – was hanging. Praying for the end. Fought hard to keep effort up.
    6th 100 – 11.32 – 10.57 – Uphill again but just focused a head and held on for dear life.

30th April 4.5 miles 12:11/m :o
    Just about squeezed the 4 runs and 20 miles in this week. Out at 8:30 this morn. I knew I was slow when there was a person ahead in full on tracksuit bottoms and rain gear and I couldn’t catch them. Lungs were the issue today oddly enough. But it’s all done for this week :D

Think I'm about ready to add another day now. Shortening the long runs and adding to the weekly ones has made a difference. A short Monday jaunt maybe possible now.

3rd May 2.9 miles avg pace 11.56/m
    I forgot my running shorts on Tues and I wasn’t going running in a dress, so could either go yest Eve or today. However I went home for a quick change and went to play footie with the lads after work. Only reason for mentioning this is because two of us were going for the ball the guy tripped and tumbled and in order to avoid stomping on his head I had to jump over him. I landed kind of jerkily on my foot. Fast forward to today and my legs felt tired but okay but then I started to run and oh my God it was the most awful sensation to run on. It felt like my knee was twisted. Now I knew full well this wasn’t the case :D but it was gross. I stopped to stretch the calf but to know avail. If I jogged very very slowly with no sudden movements I could keep it at bay, but footpaths and stopping made it worse. I was absolutely raging because it was such a beautiful day I wanted to make the most out of it. The stretching has been minimal lately so perhaps it was building for a while and the awkward landing brought it on faster, but it was very annoying.

4th May 2.4 miles avg pace 12.18/m
    I stretched the bejaysus put of the leg on Wed Eve and every chance I got, whether at the photocopier or the cooker, I was stretching. But the leg was no better. Common sense said to rest, but I thought just a short run, attempt a tempo if it feels ok. Again, moving slowly kept it at bay. Every now and again there was a sharp pain and everything felt tight, awkward and clumpy. So I said feck it and sped up anyhow. It lasted four minutes where the pace was evenly in the 9.4x, sometimes peaking at 9.06 and sometimes dipping to 10.34. I tried to distract myself from the pain in the leg. The other speed pain didn’t feel altogether unmanageable and really it should have. But it was very hard to focus when there was actually pain pain. I tried as hard as I could to keep it going but on the turn back, into the wind, the pain, the tiredness* I just couldn’t keep up the resilience. I really want another go at this because I’m curious if you take all the factors away, I think I could have managed a proper crack at it. I was exhausted and the journey back was a walk run until I felt I could run no more so I turned off strava and just walked back.

7th May 7.5 miles avg pace 12.09
    Rest and stretching until today. Was RAGING. Especially on Fri when there was a glorious evening I would have loved to head out! But I really don’t want to be back on a physio table doing 3 x 3 mile runs a week again. So I’ll manage it as best I can for now. That being said, I headed out to do 3 miles today. But I just couldn’t go home. As long as I kept everything slow, i was grand. Not a problem for me :D I found a new route and was adding on and on to it. When I started to tire I wondered should I turn back, but I’d rather try and fail than succeed at being a wuss, something I’m going to transfer into racing sooner or later :D Because I only planned a short run, I’d no water or hat . My ginger head nearly died. I was covered in greenfly and literally foaming at the mouth lol, but it was lovely to be out and find a new route too!

*This week was a week the exhaustion hit. Not tiredness, sheer exhaustion. I was broken. Even my quads felt tired, and they’re never sore. It is not a normal tiredness, i just cant explain it properly. Normally I would tone down the week and maybe just do one or two short runs, but I was determined to keep everything up. Even if it was slow, just to keep getting out 4 times and totalling 20 miles. I can honestly hand on heart say the not hitting it this week was down to the leg pain. I am so annoyed with myself for not keeping the stretching on track. Equally I’m shocked that things can go so pear shaped so quickly if I dont! We’re heading into the summer now, I want to be out enjoying it!!

• Advertisement

9th May 4.6 miles avg pace 11.47/m

Lovely new route. Running back and forth is not why I started this. Running a one way loop, I love. Went down to Tallaght Village, up to Tymon, Kilnamanagh and back to work. I was okay, leg is so fine again. Stretching has worked a treat. I love that I am self maintaining now too. I wish I wish I wish I was faster, but I am thoroughly enjoying my outings and being able to fix myself so, that'll do pig, that'll do :pac:

10th May 6 x 100 secs hard (or something) 90nsec recoveries.

Was nervous. This weekend is a write off so trying to cram everything into the week. If I'd planned it better I'd have taken a spin out on monday, but then again if I'd planned better I wouldn't be me :pac: So it went

1st 100 secs - 9.18 - 9:04 mins
    2nd 100 secs - 9.46 - 9.08
    3rd 100 secs - 9.3x maintained throughout
    4th 100 secs - 10.05 - 11.38 died
    5th 100 secs- 11.07- 10.34 reckon this is much more my zone
    6the 100 secs - 11.03-10.20

The leg wasn't at me. The legs felt tired. But I felt more controlled than simply tearing out at whatever speed. I had the stop watch again so everything was bang on, no excuses, cling on for dear life and sad as it is that these are my cling on for dear life paces at least I'm accepting that they are and I am learning to control them.

Thurs 11th May 4.9 miles 12.13/m

Wtf happened today??!! What's that all about?? To be fair it felt slow but like I was working. I don't get this running lark. I really don't :pac: But I cannot for the love of Jesus give up on it. Not that I'm tempted to, but you'd think anyone with my lack of ability would cop the f*ck on and try something else, but I really can't. Not until I get the that 59.59 on the clock for a 10k, I cannot give up! Lol

I have a bit more to do this week but this weekend is a bit hairy so not sure what I'll get done, hence posting now. Also hence the reason why I cried when I saw the Terenure 5 mile date come up. I had planned to do it all year, but never expected it would clash with a big family weekend. Anyhow,hopefully my chance will come. I could let the darkness in and say it's a pain I'd be lucky to do in 5 miles what my aim has always been for 6 miles. But luckily I am not in that frame of mind!! Still freaking loving it!!! :P

Week of 15th - 21st May

Nothing. Zilch. I just didn't want to run. I didn't want to put on runners and head out. It wasn't a low head or a downbeat thing. I just didn't feel like it. I did go on a few mountain walks though that I thoroughly enjoyed. I used strava for one, just as a distance marker and one of the down hills was 14:xx per mile and I did think that was just two minutes off my easy pace. But tbh, it doesn't bother me that much anymore. I just didn't want to run

24th May 4 miles

I must be knocking off the button when putting my phone sleeve around my arm because it was recording when I put it on. Pressed start. Wrapped it around me. Off I went..got back to see strava stopped and recorded nothing. What's for ya doesn't pass ya. It's probably a good thing. It was a really hard slog. Not in a miserable way. But the heat and my overworking lungs made it tricky. I had hoped the fact my lungs were working so hard was because I was moving so fast. My smart side tried to manage my expectations, but I was still curious about what pace would have me in this jocker. I think it's probably a good thing I never found out :D. I'm delighted to be back out having said that.

25th May 4 miles avg pace 12:14/m

I knew this was slow. I'm not great with the heat and heading out at lunch time plonks me right in the heart of it. My God it was wonderful to feel the sun on my face mind you! What a difference from the freezing icy paths! I took it slow and was trying a new style of running lol

I read online you should run with the whole of your foot and keep your toes stretched out. Clearly this kind of technique should come with a Dummies Guide for Muppets. I ended up tripping up over my own feet :o . I start to stumble. But was managing to keep on my feet.
    Its okay, it's still good, I can recover. Began to pull myself out of the fall. Whoops no...it's not enough! The downhill is not helping the situation. Arms and legs flailing about in the hope I could balance somehow. Miraculously I'm still on my feet! It's still good, there's still hope! It's not enough though...my boobs must be weighing me down. :pac: Till I finally gave up and thought...ah crap, if you're going to fall, just get it over and done with :pac: So I splattered on to the ground, got up and got going again.

26th May 6.7m walk

I couldn't do the heat again and I would have no other chance to get out today. So I headed to Bray to do the cliff walk. It's something I've always wanted to run, but given my falling propensity I thought it best to suss out the terrain first. Man am I glad I didn't try to run it :pac: I decided I would walk at a fairly decent speed. If it wasn't a run I was going to work anyhow. I also wanted to lay all the ghosts to bed that sift through my brain telling me I'm so slow I'd be better off walking. Let's put it to the test so! As I started at Bray I gained on an old man. I must get passed him I thought, before we get to the narrow paths. He'll just slow me down. Anyhow turns out Johnny Blue Top, elderly as he is, is going fairly fast him self and I have to push to get passed him. I try not to pant and let him know he has me on the ropes, for fear he'll speed up. I manage to get him anyhow. Thank feck!

Next come Betty and Josie. They're out in their shorts. Jees L, you have to take this pair! It'll kill you if they get there before you. I'm gaining on them, but still, Betty and Josie are again walking a fair stride! What is going on with these Wicklow elderlies? They have this jackeen wrecked! A bloke stops to talk to them. Woohoo! I scoot passed.

Next I spot a family of four. I can easily take them, so I catch up on them and as I do, I see the mother clinging to a wall. Ah Jees you have her! She's barely getting by. Then I turn the corner and see why. It turns into a vertical climb. They stop to look at flowers. Woohoo I sneak through.

At this point I'm thinking wtf is wrong with you. You're on a pleasant summers day walk and all you can think of is catching people and getting passed them. If you find that in a race it would be fecking great, but why now?? It continued like this the whole way.

My ankles started hurting. I concluded that there must be a pharmacy when I reach my destination. I'll get plasters. I come a flat path with fences either side. There are lots of people coming the opposite direction. I felt like I'd don't the Camino Way. I'm hear from Bray! I wanted to yell, but managed to stop myself going all Alan Partridge :D Most of these people are probably on their 10thlap anyhow! :rolleyes: :D

Anyhow I get to Greystones, but suddenly I'm in a field by myself and so thought that was it. So I turned back. I came face to face with everyone I'd overtaken. They weren't that far behind me. Johnny Blue top was the first one! Fair play to him!

The walk back was very pleasant. I'm glad I did it. Something off the bucket list. But I definitely won't be running it. I'd break my face :D

When I got back to the house I took off my runners. My ankles were all bloodied which soaked into my runners. I plastered them up. I have three more blisters on my left foot and one more on my right. I just tried to put my runners on this morning and despite being bandaged up they are pressing into the ankle cuts. So that's it for this week. I'm lucky to have made it through in one piece :D

429th May - 4th June
    Zilch again. The heel cuts from my momentous cliff walk were causing no end of grief. 4 plasters for padding on the ankle and an extra on the runners made no difference. Every shoe rubbed off the cuts and made them worse. No amount of savlon or plastering fixed them. I could do without missing this week. Big event on Sat and a lovely dress to swish around in, missing fat busting runs did not make me happy. Equally I wanted the heels better so they didn’t bleed all over my beautiful white Ruby Shoo shoes. Anyhow as I say nothing worked. Until Sunday morning when my aunt in law gave me a special plaster. I don’t know what was in it, or how it worked. But it was only on a couple of hours and hey presto! Cured! I am trying to get the name of them so I can stock up!

6th June- 3.3m easy avg pace 12.10m

Plan said 3 miles. Overshot a teensy bit. Had a gale in my face on the way out, which as always, disappeared on the turn back when I could have used the push home :D. Enjoyable enough.

7th June – 5 x 400m @ 5k pace with 400m recoveries – incl warm up and cool down

No earphones. Today I wanted to be totally in tune! Pardon the pun! Mapped out 400m on Google maps. Wrote it out. Laminated it. Headed out. It went like this:-

1st 400m – 10.03 – 10.19
    2nd 400m – 11.22 – 10.31
    3rd 400m – 10.41 – 10.29
    4th 400m – 11.30 – 10.19
    5th 400m – 10.38 – 10.40

I’m happy enough with that. I loved it when I was out doing it. I was aiming for around 10.30p/m and I made a good Craic at it without a Garmin to tell me, so I’m learning control! Those 100 sec hard/90 sec recovery seem to have really helped get my head around these types of runs, as well as teaching me to lift my bloody legs! It’s such a shame this is a pace I’m struggling to keep, given there was a time it was what I believed was my easy pace. In hindsight I don’t believe it was ever a true easy pace and I’m sure if I went over my previous training there wouldn’t have been much between my easy runs and these kind of sessions. I feel I’ve learned a lot this year and I’m now ready to work. As long as I don’t lose my sh*t!!!
    ^^^^ That was written before I posed my questions about plans and now after reading the response I realise I know nothing at all :pac:

8th June 3 miles avg pace 11.44/m

Strava has me down for 2.7. I finally realised the issue. When I’m checking how far I’ve come I think I’m clicking stop by accident. It took to the count of 400 to get back to the office so I know it was 3 for sure .

10th June 3.3 miles

Made up of 2 runs, to and from GAA. 11.38/m there and 11.34/m on way back. Always lifting the legs. Probably a huge no no to break a run up like this. But it was a handy way to get it done. Legs were heavy on the way back after standing round for an hour.

11th June 5.4 miles avg pace 12.24/m

Issues were 3 fold:-

1. A wave exhaustion hit around mile 3 and it was a struggle after that. Particularly on the climb home.
    2. The wind
    3. As it was only 5 miles on the plan today, I just had toast heading out, which may have been the cause of issue 1 and didn’t help in the battle against issue 2.
    The main thing is I battled through it. Maybe your supposed to feel like this and the end of the week!

I love week one, I have the enthusiasm and hope of a puppy when he hears the lead being rattled. It will be totally different come week 4 and I can’t run because 4 eyelashes fell out :pac:

13 June 3 miles avg pace 11.54/mi

HORRENDOUS. Heavy sluggish, uncomfortable, sweaty. Looking at it on Strava it looks like one of those cardiac machines and that’s how it felt lol.

14 June 30 min tempo run. Avg pace 12.00/mi

I suppose I’m supposed to bear in mind that the warm up and cool down would eat into the average pace, especially the cool down? Could be wrong. But I find it strange that a run involving a 10 minute speed but would be slower than an easy run. Anyhow I was in no mood for it. Not feeling great since Sunday and procrastinated so much to avoid it. I tried to get the head in it, knowing I was going to need a strong head when it got tough.

So after a 10 min warm up I picked it up. Lifted the legs and focused on breathing. When I started to tire I tried not to look at the watch and instead focus on something, anything ahead. I was counting breaths, steps, anything I good. Alarm systems started going off, it was legs before lungs. I looked at the watch, I was only five mins in. I tried to quell the panic and managed quite well with it, until it got to 8 mins and I threw it and stopped. Tummy was in a heap, but I wasn’t exactly going all out enough to warrant that. I picked up again straight away and struggled on as much as I could to 10 mins.

10 mins cool down included a few walk breaks. The system was dead. I’m annoyed at the stopping in the middle of the tempo. I should have had more control than that. But on the other hand, face first into wind and holding on to last week’s session speed for as close to 10 mins as I could was ok. Alternatively, it could mean one if them is wrong :pac: I’m concerned by the pace. I wasn’t redlining, but at the same time it was a battle with a speed I am unaccustomed to so I hope I’m moving fast enough. It feels uncomfortable and like working, so perhaps all will come good.

15th June 3.1 miles avg pace 11.58pm

Simple as that. Very warm mind you!

17th June 2 miles approx. Avg pace 10 mins approx

Plan said to do 3 miles ‘fast’. So of course, tore out of the house at break neck speed. After about a mile I was cooked. Sweating like a hog and battery dead. It was disastrous after that and I cut it short. Thought I’d hit strava but obviously didn’t so all guesses.

18th June 8 mile cycle.

Was supposed to be a 5 mile run, but absolutely wrecked myself at Robbie last night. Was hanging together all day. Only did the cycle to go get my car! :o

So two weeks into my 5k plan I decided to take up a fitness class. 2 things I’m missing are the mental strength to push to any red line and physical strength from the hips up. Not saying me legs are flawless by any means, but my top half is way out of kilter with my bottom half.

One of the mams from the school recommended this body fit thing she does three times a week. I was like grand yeah...a mammy class might be just what I need to ease myself in. Ease myself in? Holy. Mother. Of sh*t!!! I would had to come across a mam in a dark alley after seeing what they do in their spare time :eek: Yer man asks me whether I do any exercise and I muttered that I jog a bit. I’m so glad I didn’t try boast above my station!! :pac: I had to leave the class twice because I thought I was going to hurl! :o I’ve told yer man to f*ck off twice :pac: which only seems to encourage him :mad:

Anyhow the resultant effect was that it tore the living life out of me :pac: The next day I thought I was grand so went for a very slow jog. Everything felt a bit numb, but ok. But then the day after that! It was like the c section all over again...every where ached. :pac: Everywhere! I had to roll on to my side to get out of bed :pac: . I rang the girl who recommended it and told her we were no longer friends :pac:

Anyhow this week I had to get back on plan. I did an easy 3m jog on Tues and then tried the session I’d missed 2 weeks ago. 6 x 400m with 400m recoveries. It was shockingly bad. The first one went fine but then during the first recovery I ran out of steam :eek: I freaked a little but then just thought I’d take everything handy. If the recoveries have to be snail pace then you have to dial the fast parts back too and not try bounce back off them into higher efforts. I did fight on and do 6 as best I could but honestly it was a mess. At the end of the 5th I got so frustrated that I just sprinted for my marker. I didn’t give a hoot anymore and just went for it, in the back of my head was, you’ve pushed yourself to puking limits in the last week, that’s the worst that can happen. So I like that mentality and I loved the speed!

The class being Wednesdays I’m now using Thurs as the eye of the storm and taking those runs very slowly and handy and not straining myself at all while the numbness lasts and before the hell of Friday kicks in :D

Went out again this morning and took it handy for 4 miles again as everything is still a bit tender.

Strava has also completely screwed me over this week, so I've no stats. Not sure whether it's lack of phone space, but maybe it's time to find me watch.

It reignited the fire that I used to have for running. Now my thinking is, running is a peace of p*ss compared to that class. I’d I can survive that...I can get my head out of my arse and push harder on the runs.

Two things I need now are:-

1. Looks at the diet, see if I can’t help with the recovery and energy levels.
    2. A younger body...haahaa...or a stretch to help the inner thigh which is a bit sore still.

In other news I saw a Planning Permission sign for a new athletics track in Firhouse. Apparently there’s an 8 Lane 400m grass track going in. That should add a bit of spice if it’s open to the public!

In other news I saw a Planning Permission sign for a new athletics track in Firhouse. Apparently there’s an 8 Lane 400m grass track going in. That should add a bit of spice if it’s open to the public!

I saw that too, looks good. I wonder how long it will take to actually have it ready?!
    I think I drove past you today in Old Bawn about 11?

chickey2 wrote: »
    I saw that too, looks good. I wonder how long it will take to actually have it ready?!
    I think I drove past you today in Old Bawn about 11?

It seems like a huge big development with a bmx track and everything. So I wouldn't be depending on it being finished soon :D

Yeah could have been me, especially if I looked like I was struggling. Morto I was spotted in me shorts :pac:

You didn't look like you were struggling at all and your shorts were only gorgeous!

Advertisement