Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

I love it when a plan comes together

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,893 ✭✭✭Hannibal Smith

Lol@ candlewax...I'm going to practise my running face for the next one!

Sunday 1st Feb long run day

I didn't think I'd get out today. Its week 1 of a crazy work schedule which includes Saturdays so we agreed Sundays would be a family day. I wasn't entirely sure a run factored in that and given that I'm already sabotaging Saturdays I didn't like to push it and I was too tired to get up extra early. Then the hubby said he was going to do some work in the garden and I thought there was definitely no chance now. Anyhow an hour later he comes back in and says right off you go for a run!!! It was like a lotto win. I was up and out like a shot! I love that he doesn't get the why's he just gets that I enjoy it and i
    Hes totally onboard.

The fact that I was out was treat enough, I didn't want to take the pee and be gone too long, so I decided to head for Bohernabreena. Jees it was a perfect morning. I took it so slow and just enjoyed it..even took Olly out of my ears to enjoy the surroundings. Bohernabreena is where it all started for me so its a really special place. I only ever make it to the bottom reservoir and back. I've never been ballsy enough to go further.

Anyhow this new divil istigh whispers in me ear and says if you keep it handy you could just run along side the reservoir, keep going passed it and still have enough to get home. So I ran up the hill (remembering all the hill business I learned earlier in the week ;) ) and kept going....when I followed the path I got to a sign showing the way to the upper reservoir. I just couldn't turn back!!! I knew I was pushing it timewise but I had to go for it. A few steep hills, a skid on the ice and a stumble over stones later and I got there. I didn't need to stop fitness wise....but I just had to pat me self on the back! The upper reservoir was not on the cards at all today and it was a lovely spur of the moment thing.

I thought about continuing passed it but I was really short on time...so I headed back. I added a loop at the end of kiltpper wood to make the run as long as I could. I really just could have kept going though

12.2 km 1:20

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,044 ✭✭✭chickey2

I was up there today too. There was one lady who looked particularly happy to be there, maybe it was you! I love that route and today was perfect for it. I cheated and walked the steep hill and the gravelly one though :-)

chickey2 wrote: »
    I was up there today too. There was one lady who looked particularly happy to be there, maybe it was you! I love that route and today was perfect for it. I cheated and walked the steep hill and the gravelly one though :-)

No way! If she was in a purple top carrying a water bottle that was me :D

Mine was a meagre attempt at a run at the gravelly bit I have to say :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,272 ✭✭✭Dubgal72

Your husband rocks! :)

I know he's really great. Hes always on hand when I get back with a hot cuppa and a well done :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,355 ✭✭✭Bungy Girl

I know he's really great. Hes always on hand when I get back with a hot cuppa and a well done :D

Frame him. Seriously.

I think I'm coming round to a new plan BTW. I wrote it all down yesterday and thought there was a lot of easy in there and assumed it didn't look right. So I had a brain wave..instead of googling plans and techniques that are really a bit above my level...I googled my actual level and found this
    http://running.competitor.com/2014/01/training/base-training-draft_65938

It explains the base training and what its supposed to achieve and I really think its a more realistic reflection of where I'm at.

I can add to the easy runs without overdoing it and as I'm working Saturdays I can run there and back. Its not that far, would bring it up to five days and I'll use it as another speed day as long as it doesn't interfere with Sundays.

Piece of cake! ;)

We won't mention Tues. I chickened out because of the ice. Its way too stressful in the dark.

wed 4th feb

2k warm up
    8 x 30 min hills
    2k cool down

Love this one so much!!! As I was in the middle of it another real professional looking runner came along and started using my hill (sounds dodge! ;) ). I was delighted with myself...at least I know I picked a good one :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,044 ✭✭✭chickey2

We won't mention Tues. I chickened out because of the ice. Its way too stressful in the dark.

wed 4th feb

2k warm up
    8 x 30 min hills
    2k cool down

8 x 30 min hills! Wow that's some start to a plan! :-)

wed 4th feb

2k warm up
    8 x 30 min hills
    2k cool down

Love this one so much!!! As I was in the middle of it another real professional looking runner came along and started using my hill (sounds dodge! ;) ). I was delighted with myself...at least I know I picked a good one :D

Absolutely right, that wasn't chickening out, just damn sensible :)
    You might want to cut back on the duration of the hills for now ;)
    I know, I love these sessions too, you're getting some quality work in but not so much pain :D I hope the professional said thanks for letting him/her use your hill?!

• Advertisement

chickey2 wrote: »
    8 x 30 min hills! Wow that's some start to a plan! :-)

Haahaa...typo...30secs :o

Dubgal72 wrote: »
    Absolutely right, that wasn't chickening out, just damn sensible :)
    You might want to cut back on the duration of the hills for now ;)
    I know, I love these sessions too, you're getting some quality work in but not so much pain :D I hope the professional said thanks for letting him/her use your hill?!

Lol bunch of feckers!! ;)

I know...I was very good for sharing... Next time I'll have to chase him off!

Thurs 5th Feb

Evidence I'm taking this serious. Thurs are not a good day for me running wise but I got it done. I visit my folks on a Thurs and they are DEAD set against me running, so I rarely mention it anymore, never mind do it under their noses, but it features in the plan so has to be done.

So I left me kids with the folks, ran up to UCD coz I thought I'd have a crack at the running track only to get there and find the running track is now a carpark! :pac: so went on up to the Radisson taking as many turns as possible to clock 8km and just about managed it.

Next week I'm going to go down passed the Church around to merrion sc, up nutley avenue/lane?? and up to the dual carriageway and back down. And sure thats the guts of the WMM route...talk about race ready!!! I'll be on the front of the herald as the veteran mammy who stormed passed them all to come in 1st!! ;)

they are DEAD set against me running
    :confused: Why ?
    I'll be on the front of the herald as the veteran mammy who stormed passed them all to come in 1st!!
    Why not ;)

Bungy Girl wrote: »
    :confused: Why ?

Ugh so many reasons! They had a friend who ran all his life and was dead by 44. They blame it on the running for some reason. My mam doesn't move anywhere, so she deliberately refers to it as jogging, and corrects me every time I refer to it as running for fear she may have to move too :pac: And my dad, who was initially fantastically supportive thinks I'm taking it too far and shuts me down anytime I mention it now. When I was heading out today...my mum tried to dissuade me telling me I looked tired and should he lying down for a rest :D

That said they minded the kids while I went out and really are fantastic in all other respects.

Ugh so many reasons! They had a friend who ran all his life and was dead by 44. They blame it on the running for some reason. My mam doesn't move anywhere, so she deliberately refers to it as jogging, and corrects me every time I refer to it as running for fear she may have to move too :pac: And my dad, who was initially fantastically supportive thinks I'm taking it too far and shuts me down anytime I mention it now. When I was heading out today...my mum tried to dissuade me telling me I looked tired and should he lying down for a rest :D

That said they minded the kids while I went out and really are fantastic in all other respects.

That's so sad about their friend. Probably not a lot you can do to change their minds, maybe they'll come around in time. I think their generation were given a lot of misinformation about 'jogging' (bad for the knees and worse) and it's only relatively recently (30/40 years or so?) that it was considered the norm for women to run.

That's so sad about their friend. Probably not a lot you can do to change their minds, maybe they'll come around in time. I think their generation were given a lot of misinformation about 'jogging' (bad for the knees and worse) and it's only relatively recently (30/40 years or so?) that it was considered the norm for women to run.

I think so too. They're not a bad sort just a bit out of touch.

Fri 6th feb

8km easy. Love it all ..grand night for it. Just had to add 1km on to my normal run and luckily there are sli na slainte markers around the place so I ran passed the one outside our estate up to the next one. Took will power of steal to run passed the home turn!

Sat 7th Feb

Run to and from work 15 mins recovery each way.

I missed the long run this week. I know its an intregal part of the plan....but I went out on the rip on Saturday night and was dying on Sun. Unless dancing in heels counts??

Tues 10th Feb

8k easy. Was feeling GREAT!!!! Legs felt so comfortable and it all felt so effortless...there were a bunch of club runners heading towards me so I moved out of their way into the cycle lane...I usually cross at that point anyhow...so I looked over my shoulder for cars... turned back around to look for oncoming traffic and BAM!!!! I feckin tripped up..I don't mean a small embarrassing 'silly me!' stumble....I mean a proper Hannibal Smith A-Team stunt tumble and roll!!! :o. I was never so mortified!!

If any of those who stopped were boardsies...thanks so much..I'm sorry if I appeared rude but I just had to get the truck outta there!!!

So I continued on and finished the run and despite totally embarrassing myself...it actually felt very comfortable.

• Advertisement

Aw poor you! Luckily you didn't hurt yourself (pride?) or injure vital running anatomy :) Love that effortless feeling!

I've a few cuts and bruises DG but nothing major thanks...the boys think I'm one of them now lol

Wed 11 Feb Progression Run

3k easy 3k steady 2k mp

I love the concept behind this one! Whatever about the physical side of it...I love the control and the keeping at an even pace and not letting up until you get to your marker knowing you can increase. A girl passed me on the easy part, but I knew I was coming up to the steady pace point so I let her away ;) and then whizzed passed her when I got to the marker. Thats a great tactic to have for a race!!!!

Anyhow there was a bit of a blip when it came to mp...either steady was too fast leaving mp too fast...or I'm not fit enough to be increasing... or I just got overwhelmed and panicked...but my legs started to hurt so I had to stop :o. I caught my breath and took off again and I'd say I ran the last 1.5km at a fast enough speed... I certainly belted for the sli na slainte sign!

Downside is having to stop, but the psychological benefits and the lessons I learned from tonight far outweigh that.

Thurs 12 Feb

8k easy.

Fell again *rolls eyes* Exactly the same way as Tues...but this time in D4 in front of loads of posh people. I blame my damn runners :mad: Got up...ran on and covered the 8k with blood gushing from my thumb, but the plan says 8k easy on Thurs so it had to be done.

Im so glad tomorrow is 4k recovery..I can't take anymore injuries!!:o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 558 ✭✭✭ECOLII

Rest up.

If you don't go down the zorbing route as a preventative measure it might be no harm to try incorporating some proprioceptive work into you flexibility/strengthening routine.

Basically Stand on one leg and use the elevated leg to imitate a clock face and hold at each step for 2 seconds (2 seconds out, 2 seconds central)

(link here might be a better visual )

This possibly could be a cause of your instability especially without visual cues. As you progress at these aim to do them with eyes closed.

Haahaa @ the zorbing!!! :pac: :pac:

Will try your witchcraft clock maneouvre. Thanks.

And thanks for the plan, despite my injuries I've enjoyed running so much more since I started it.

ECOLII wrote: »
    Rest up.

If you don't go down the zorbing route as a preventative measure it might be no harm to try incorporating some proprioceptive work into you flexibility/strengthening routine.

Basically Stand on one leg and use the elevated leg to imitate a clock face and hold at each step for 2 seconds (2 seconds out, 2 seconds central)

(link here might be a better visual )

This possibly could be a cause of your instability especially without visual cues. As you progress at these aim to do them with eyes closed.
    Stealing the clock face one :)

• Advertisement

Stealing the clock face one :)

Its a vital component of ankle sprain rehabs to minimize risk of recurrence.

Should be noted though that this is aimed at sensory nerve receptors as opposed to muscle strengthening.

Its a vital component of ankle sprain rehabs to minimize risk of recurrence.

Should be noted though that this is aimed at sensory nerve receptors as opposed to muscle strengthening.
    Ah ok, is it worth incorporating into my hip/calf/Achilles routine in any way so? Sorry Hannibal for the mini hi jack...

Ah ok, is it worth incorporating into my hip/calf/Achilles routine in any way so? Sorry Hannibal for the mini hi jack...

If you have a history of ankle injuries I would say so, though it is no harm if you do a bit of cross also ;)

Sorry Hannibal for the mini hi jack...

Haahaa you're grand!

I couldn't face a run tonight...I never and I mean NEVER take painkillers (child birth and post C section drugs aside!), but had to take one last night for my thumb...I'm so afraid to take the bandage off in case the top of the thumb comes with it! :pac::pac:

When I think of all those times I skipped a run because of the ice :D

I realise I shouldn't be 'updating' my log with such a lame post, but....I blame the drugs! ;)

Haahaa you're grand!

I couldn't face a run tonight...I never and I mean NEVER take painkillers (child birth and post C section drugs aside!), but had to take one last night for my thumb...I'm so afraid to take the bandage off in case the top of the thumb comes with it! :pac::pac:

When I think of all those times I skipped a run because of the ice :D

I realise I shouldn't be 'updating' my log with such a lame post, but....I blame the drugs! ;)
    Ouch, I feel your pain. A heads up for when you do venture out in the cold: make sure you have a plaster on it and gloves as well. I took a chunk out of two knuckles recently bare knuckle fighting* and it hurt like HELL when I got back from a run in the cold.

*only joking, I was running with a fully loaded buggy (2 kids and loads of shopping). The wine didn't smash so all's well :)

• Advertisement

haahaa! Feck the knuckles, thank god for the wine! You can stick a straw in the bottle if lifting the glass causes too much pain! :D

Sat 14 Feb

Tempo run to and from work with a 4k recovery run stuck on the end on the way home to make up for the one I skipped on Fri. I realise you shouldn't cram missed runs in...but at my level I don't think it'll do much harm :pac:

Sunday 15th Feb

14km easy - avg pace 6:40

Its a far cry off the 9 min mile :D but I headed out knowing I could do it which is good for me lol :D and I cut through 3 postal codes...and didn't fall yay!

Tonight - attempt at 6 x 90 - (suggested by my boss) - total disaster. But worth noting for this time next year when I'm flying it! ;)

^^^ written on the 17/12/14

Tonight supposed to be 8 x 1min @ 5k but did 10 x 1 min @ 5k...luckily a couple of rounds had the wind at my back :pac: But my legs were well able for it, my lungs were well able for it and I stuck the extra couple on the end to get me home. But I remember that run on the 17th Dec so well I couldn't manage at all and was so happy to see the progress tonight.

Also it meant finally.... FINALLY i did my round the block route in less than 26 flaming minutes and did it in 23 mins!!!!

Tis the simple things :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭Ososlo

^^^ written on the 17/12/14

Tonight supposed to be 8 x 1min @ 5k but did 10 x 1 min @ 5k...luckily a couple of rounds had the wind at my back :pac: But my legs were well able for it, my lungs were well able for it and I stuck the extra couple on the end to get me home. But I remember that run on the 17th Dec so well I couldn't manage at all and was so happy to see the progress tonight.

Also it meant finally.... FINALLY i did my round the block route in less than 26 flaming minutes and did it in 23 mins!!!!

Tis the simple things :D

Nice session! Great to see the progress.
    What were the recoveries? I'm doing similar tomorrow!

Ososlo wrote: »
    Nice session! Great to see the progress.
    What were the recoveries? I'm doing similar tomorrow!

1 min easy. I set my watch to 1 min run/1min walk....so ran when it beeped and slowed to an easy pace (as opposed to a walk) on the next beep. Hopefully I did it right lol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭Ososlo

1 min easy. I set my watch to 1 min run/1min walk....so ran when it beeped and slowed to an easy pace (as opposed to a walk) on the next beep. Hopefully I did it right lol

I'm sure you did! I'd always jog easy as opposed to walk on the recoveries too.

I'm so happy to feel progress Os. It would never have happened without the advice on here!

Last Week

It was a bust. I don't know how much info is needed to excuse a week off running, or if a doctor's note is needed :pac:. I do have a genuine ailment that knocks me for six every once in a while and last week was it. I had a scan yest so will hopefully knwo more soon.

Tues 24 Feb

*sigh* tonight was poop...felt like poop...ran like poop...but I can't miss any more time on my feet so got out. I only had a stop watch which said I did it in 49:55 which isn't that far off raheny so it'll do.

8km easy that was in no way easy.

12 min mp tomorrow is not going to be pretty!

Sorry to hear you haven't been well. Good on ya for getting out today, but don't be afraid to slow things down a bit until you feel 100% again.

Sorry to hear you haven't been well. Good on ya for getting out today, but don't be afraid to slow things down a bit until you feel 100% again.
    +100, be kind to yourself and listen to your body. If you're not feeling great, pull back and modify. Seriously, you won't lose any fitness for up to two weeks and it is amazing how your body remembers what it needs to do once you restart.

• Advertisement

wed 25 Feb

3 x 12 min @ mp with 2 min recoveries (did I phrase that right? Lol ) - epic fail

Warmed up OK and then got to the stretch of clear path that would cover 12 mins uninterrupted. I could feel the difference. There's nothing in the engine. I kept the speed up for 9 mins though my legs felt empty..the strength that I've been feeling the last while isn't there. Even after a stop I couldn't get it restarted properly so I thought I'd just follow the route and do a 7k easy run at least get something done. All I could muster was a recovery run though that was not out of any heroics or martyrdom.. It was just to get out of the rain faster :pac:

*moan moan moan moan*

Oh on the plus side the hubby had a lovely brandy ready for me when I got in instead of the usual cuppa :D

Said it before...your hubby rocks :D Now TAKE IT EASY!!

I actually had a weird conversation with myself earlier, went like this:
    'ok, I think I can fit in a 10k this evening after the kids go to bed'...
    'but you have had this tummy bug and your tummy was still cramping this morning. And you feel like a lump of lead'....
    'but yeah, that would mean an unplanned rest day :eek:'...
    'but really, you should practice what you preach, weren't you telling Hanny to "listen to her body and be kind to it"...?!'
    ....'oh...yeah...ok...'
    Enjoy the brandy and the rest :D

Said it before...your hubby rocks :D Now TAKE IT EASY!!

I actually had a weird conversation with myself earlier, went like this:
    'ok, I think I can fit in a 10k this evening after the kids go to bed'...
    'but you have had this tummy bug and your tummy was still cramping this morning. And you feel like a lump of lead'....
    'but yeah, that would mean an unplanned rest day :eek:'...
    'but really, you should practice what you preach, weren't you telling Hanny to "listen to her body and be kind to it"...?!'
    ....'oh...yeah...ok...'
    Enjoy the brandy and the rest :D

Haahaa...its not as easy as it sounds is it? Though you can afford a rest day...I had most of last week!

Training is only half the puzzle, recovery is the other, your not recovered from what ever is wrong at the moment so even if you did somehow manage to get through the session your body won't have the ability to recover and adapt to the training stimulus.

Sometimes the hardest part of training is having the confidence to not do it

Training is only half the puzzle, recovery is the other, your not recovered from what ever is wrong at the moment so even if you did somehow manage to get through the session your body won't have the ability to recover and adapt to the training stimulus.

Sometimes the hardest part of training is having the confidence to not do it

Whaaaaaaat??!!! Lol

I wouldn't have thought I got much out of tonight's session to be fair. But on the other hand it's more pieces of my own puzzle to be putting together.

Whoooopah!!! Im back baby! I dunno what you're supposed to do when you miss so much from a plan.but I just went to this weeks week on the plan??

So 9k easy 56 mins and loved it. A tummy bug hit chez Hannibal last Fri and Im not gonna lie...I got to 6k and thought I was going to become real runner :o

Im loving it. I know I've had the guts of 2 weeks off, but it was grand and handy and the thought that just another km could have me at 10k comfortably (albeit no where near the time Im looking for) makes me eeek with excitement and with so much time left, im feeling positive that reducing the time is well on the cards.

Hills tomorrow!

Whoooopah!!! Im back baby! I dunno what you're supposed to do when you miss so much from a plan.but I just went to this weeks week on the plan??

So 9k easy 56 mins and loved it. A tummy bug hit chez Hannibal last Fri and Im not gonna lie...I got to 6k and thought I was going to become real runner :o

Im loving it. I know I've had the guts of 2 weeks off, but it was grand and handy and the thought that just another km could have me at 10k comfortably (albeit no where near the time Im looking for) makes me eeek with excitement and with so much time left, im feeling positive that reducing the time is well on the cards.

Hills tomorrow!

Welcome back! Don't worry about your pace after a break, it'll return naturally and quickly along with your fitness.

Enjoy those hills!

Thanks BG. Though I don't have much speed at the best of times :pac:

I read the wrong week. It was 5 x 3 min @ 10 k with 2 min jog tonight... Hills next week lol

Was grand. Not sure there's much difference between my 10k and mp pace :pac:

9k easy....One of those days where I was in no mood but it turned out to be exactly what I needed. On the race route too but to cover the 9k I had to go up to stillorgan...might be handy come the day when im heading up the hill to feel im turning back half way on a usual Thurs run.

Loads of people I know signing up for wmm...im keeping quiet. ..they're all talking wigs and costumes. ..like its some sort of fun run ;):D

• Advertisement

jaysus the wind! Always in my bloody face....had about 5 strands of hair left in me bobbin by the time I got home.

9k easy. Took about 10 mins longer than normal thanks to the wind.

Toying with the idea of a park run...but at the mo I could do with never runnin again! Will change come the morning :pac:

Advertisement