Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I love it when a plan comes together

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

GIR course can be extremely congested too - 11k-ish entries around the not exactly wide roads of the Phoenix Park can get a bit painful! I'd advise you to get some hills in too in your training.

You'll easily get a runner number for the WMM - even your Parkrun time should be enough proof. They were telling people last year to go and enter a Parkrun if they hadn't already submitted a time.

Well done on Raheny btw :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,893 ✭✭✭Hannibal Smith

I'd advise you to get some hills in too in your training.

Lucky you said this! I just googled to see how I could get more hill training in (luckily enough living in tallaght hills do factor in some shape in most my runs)... But I've been doing them all wrong! There were a whole list of donts and I ticked them all :o. *headwreck*

Thanks for the input. I can at least crack on with increasing speed and when a 10k comes up that's more suitable I'll be ready...and I'll have the WMM if all else fails?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,195 ✭✭✭PaulieC

Lucky you said this! I just googled to see how I could get more hill training in (luckily enough living in tallaght hills do factor in some shape in most my runs)... But I've been doing them all wrong! There were a whole list of donts and I ticked them all :o. *headwreck*

How can you run up a hill wrong ?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,372 ✭✭✭iwillhtfu

I think I may have found my goal race..http://www.greatirelandrun.org/Information.aspx?ctid=353

Its in April...in Dublin... No reason why not. 55 mins...eek it just got real in here!

A great run you'll enjoy this it does get quite congested at the start for the first 1-2k usually caused by people putting themselves in the wrong spot and walkers starting towards the front. It's by no means a PB course.

I've done it the last few years. There's a great opportunity to stretch the legs through kilo mark 3-5 then it's a bit of an up and down affair with the worst of the hills around the 7-9k mark then a nice downhill(ish) into the finish chute.

Don't get caught out with the false finish line there's a hoarding over head at about 200M out from finish line I remember killing myself getting there only to discover I'd another bit to go :D

PaulieC wrote: »
    How can you run up a hill wrong ?

Haahaa, I know right?

Apparently:-

you don't lean into the hill..did that
    You don't run at maximum pace...did that
    You don't take lomg strides...did that
    And you crest the hill rather than stopping at the top....did that!

Also when they're incorporated into a run... You keep at the same pace you were at before you got to the hill...I definitely don't to that... My pace slows right down as I inwardly cry ;)

• Advertisement

iwillhtfu wrote: »
    A great run you'll enjoy this it does get quite congested at the start for the first 1-2k usually caused by people putting themselves in the wrong spot and walkers starting towards the front. It's by no means a PB course.

I've done it the last few years. There's a great opportunity to stretch the legs through kilo mark 3-5 then it's a bit of an up and down affair with the worst of the hills around the 7-9k mark then a nice downhill(ish) into the finish chute.

Don't get caught out with the false finish line there's a hoarding over head at about 200M out from finish line I remember killing myself getting there only to discover I'd another bit to go :D

I looked at the course last night. I think I know the hills....it goes the opposite direction to the morun I think?

Gah! About the false finish, good to know! I'd say that hurt.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,195 ✭✭✭PaulieC

Haahaa, I know right?

Apparently:-

you don't lean into the hill..did that
    You don't run at maximum pace...did that
    You don't take lomg strides...did that
    And you crest the hill rather than stopping at the top....did that!

Also when they're incorporated into a run... You keep at the same pace you were at before you got to the hill...I definitely don't to that... My pace slows right down as I inwardly cry ;)

I was told (by several people) that your effort should not change, not your pace. If you keep at the same pace, your effort will go up dramatically.

About the inward crying, everyone gets that, they just pretend they don't...

You are aiming for equal effort going up as well as down, not equal pace. Trying to maintain the pace you were running on the flat will leave you exhausted later in the race or session.

^^^^ looks like you and all those others were right...I'm getting tangled up in all the lingo...I can tick one thing off the list then :D

Thursday 29th January

Rest day, but my legs were wrecked so I stretched and squatted and lunged for about 30 mins and then foam rolled.

Friday 30th January

Nearly chickened out. Work is too crazy and the little guy isn't sleeping, I'm so wrecked. But I just had to get out. So I did my usual 7k easy and I'm delighted I did. Perfect night for it.

Moving Forward

So I think it's about time to move on. I'm not sure what the safest way to do it is. I know the runs are a lot easier. My legs feel so much stronger now and so do my lungs. Have I progressed the last 6 weeks or so? I think so. The aim was to get to an average pace of 6 mins per k and I did that. In fact tonight I was so tired I had no choice but to keep it slow and that was an average pace of 6:30, which was the fast pace when I started this log.

For now I'm going to add another km on to my easy days and keep whinging wednesdays. Until some one chips in, or I go nagging people for advice :p

• Registered Users Posts: 4,272 ✭✭✭Dubgal72

Just found your log...where have I been?! This was the best race report, ever! Loved it. And I hear you (and BG) about the post race pictures. I already had a club mate complaining that a link she had been sent to the race photos aged her x 20 years. When I found mine...well...I look as if I was a big blob of candle wax shook up and down...in situations like this I think photo shop should be mandatory!! Anyway, congratulations on the PB, brilliant race and report. Can't wait to see you cracking that 55m 10k time but take it slowly and surely :)

• Advertisement

Lol@ candlewax...I'm going to practise my running face for the next one!

Sunday 1st Feb long run day

I didn't think I'd get out today. Its week 1 of a crazy work schedule which includes Saturdays so we agreed Sundays would be a family day. I wasn't entirely sure a run factored in that and given that I'm already sabotaging Saturdays I didn't like to push it and I was too tired to get up extra early. Then the hubby said he was going to do some work in the garden and I thought there was definitely no chance now. Anyhow an hour later he comes back in and says right off you go for a run!!! It was like a lotto win. I was up and out like a shot! I love that he doesn't get the why's he just gets that I enjoy it and i
    Hes totally onboard.

The fact that I was out was treat enough, I didn't want to take the pee and be gone too long, so I decided to head for Bohernabreena. Jees it was a perfect morning. I took it so slow and just enjoyed it..even took Olly out of my ears to enjoy the surroundings. Bohernabreena is where it all started for me so its a really special place. I only ever make it to the bottom reservoir and back. I've never been ballsy enough to go further.

Anyhow this new divil istigh whispers in me ear and says if you keep it handy you could just run along side the reservoir, keep going passed it and still have enough to get home. So I ran up the hill (remembering all the hill business I learned earlier in the week ;) ) and kept going....when I followed the path I got to a sign showing the way to the upper reservoir. I just couldn't turn back!!! I knew I was pushing it timewise but I had to go for it. A few steep hills, a skid on the ice and a stumble over stones later and I got there. I didn't need to stop fitness wise....but I just had to pat me self on the back! The upper reservoir was not on the cards at all today and it was a lovely spur of the moment thing.

I thought about continuing passed it but I was really short on time...so I headed back. I added a loop at the end of kiltpper wood to make the run as long as I could. I really just could have kept going though

12.2 km 1:20

• Registered Users Posts: 1,044 ✭✭✭chickey2

I was up there today too. There was one lady who looked particularly happy to be there, maybe it was you! I love that route and today was perfect for it. I cheated and walked the steep hill and the gravelly one though :-)

chickey2 wrote: »
    I was up there today too. There was one lady who looked particularly happy to be there, maybe it was you! I love that route and today was perfect for it. I cheated and walked the steep hill and the gravelly one though :-)

No way! If she was in a purple top carrying a water bottle that was me :D

Mine was a meagre attempt at a run at the gravelly bit I have to say :D

Your husband rocks! :)

I know he's really great. Hes always on hand when I get back with a hot cuppa and a well done :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,355 ✭✭✭Bungy Girl

I know he's really great. Hes always on hand when I get back with a hot cuppa and a well done :D

Frame him. Seriously.

I think I'm coming round to a new plan BTW. I wrote it all down yesterday and thought there was a lot of easy in there and assumed it didn't look right. So I had a brain wave..instead of googling plans and techniques that are really a bit above my level...I googled my actual level and found this
    http://running.competitor.com/2014/01/training/base-training-draft_65938

It explains the base training and what its supposed to achieve and I really think its a more realistic reflection of where I'm at.

I can add to the easy runs without overdoing it and as I'm working Saturdays I can run there and back. Its not that far, would bring it up to five days and I'll use it as another speed day as long as it doesn't interfere with Sundays.

Piece of cake! ;)

We won't mention Tues. I chickened out because of the ice. Its way too stressful in the dark.

wed 4th feb

2k warm up
    8 x 30 min hills
    2k cool down

Love this one so much!!! As I was in the middle of it another real professional looking runner came along and started using my hill (sounds dodge! ;) ). I was delighted with myself...at least I know I picked a good one :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,044 ✭✭✭chickey2

We won't mention Tues. I chickened out because of the ice. Its way too stressful in the dark.

wed 4th feb

2k warm up
    8 x 30 min hills
    2k cool down

8 x 30 min hills! Wow that's some start to a plan! :-)

wed 4th feb

2k warm up
    8 x 30 min hills
    2k cool down

Love this one so much!!! As I was in the middle of it another real professional looking runner came along and started using my hill (sounds dodge! ;) ). I was delighted with myself...at least I know I picked a good one :D

Absolutely right, that wasn't chickening out, just damn sensible :)
    You might want to cut back on the duration of the hills for now ;)
    I know, I love these sessions too, you're getting some quality work in but not so much pain :D I hope the professional said thanks for letting him/her use your hill?!

• Advertisement

chickey2 wrote: »
    8 x 30 min hills! Wow that's some start to a plan! :-)

Haahaa...typo...30secs :o

Dubgal72 wrote: »
    Absolutely right, that wasn't chickening out, just damn sensible :)
    You might want to cut back on the duration of the hills for now ;)
    I know, I love these sessions too, you're getting some quality work in but not so much pain :D I hope the professional said thanks for letting him/her use your hill?!

Lol bunch of feckers!! ;)

I know...I was very good for sharing... Next time I'll have to chase him off!

Thurs 5th Feb

Evidence I'm taking this serious. Thurs are not a good day for me running wise but I got it done. I visit my folks on a Thurs and they are DEAD set against me running, so I rarely mention it anymore, never mind do it under their noses, but it features in the plan so has to be done.

So I left me kids with the folks, ran up to UCD coz I thought I'd have a crack at the running track only to get there and find the running track is now a carpark! :pac: so went on up to the Radisson taking as many turns as possible to clock 8km and just about managed it.

Next week I'm going to go down passed the Church around to merrion sc, up nutley avenue/lane?? and up to the dual carriageway and back down. And sure thats the guts of the WMM route...talk about race ready!!! I'll be on the front of the herald as the veteran mammy who stormed passed them all to come in 1st!! ;)

they are DEAD set against me running
    :confused: Why ?
    I'll be on the front of the herald as the veteran mammy who stormed passed them all to come in 1st!!
    Why not ;)

Bungy Girl wrote: »
    :confused: Why ?

Ugh so many reasons! They had a friend who ran all his life and was dead by 44. They blame it on the running for some reason. My mam doesn't move anywhere, so she deliberately refers to it as jogging, and corrects me every time I refer to it as running for fear she may have to move too :pac: And my dad, who was initially fantastically supportive thinks I'm taking it too far and shuts me down anytime I mention it now. When I was heading out today...my mum tried to dissuade me telling me I looked tired and should he lying down for a rest :D

That said they minded the kids while I went out and really are fantastic in all other respects.

Ugh so many reasons! They had a friend who ran all his life and was dead by 44. They blame it on the running for some reason. My mam doesn't move anywhere, so she deliberately refers to it as jogging, and corrects me every time I refer to it as running for fear she may have to move too :pac: And my dad, who was initially fantastically supportive thinks I'm taking it too far and shuts me down anytime I mention it now. When I was heading out today...my mum tried to dissuade me telling me I looked tired and should he lying down for a rest :D

That said they minded the kids while I went out and really are fantastic in all other respects.

That's so sad about their friend. Probably not a lot you can do to change their minds, maybe they'll come around in time. I think their generation were given a lot of misinformation about 'jogging' (bad for the knees and worse) and it's only relatively recently (30/40 years or so?) that it was considered the norm for women to run.

Bungy Girl wrote: »
    That's so sad about their friend. Probably not a lot you can do to change their minds, maybe they'll come around in time. I think their generation were given a lot of misinformation about 'jogging' (bad for the knees and worse) and it's only relatively recently (30/40 years or so?) that it was considered the norm for women to run.

I think so too. They're not a bad sort just a bit out of touch.

Fri 6th feb

8km easy. Love it all ..grand night for it. Just had to add 1km on to my normal run and luckily there are sli na slainte markers around the place so I ran passed the one outside our estate up to the next one. Took will power of steal to run passed the home turn!

Sat 7th Feb

Run to and from work 15 mins recovery each way.

I missed the long run this week. I know its an intregal part of the plan....but I went out on the rip on Saturday night and was dying on Sun. Unless dancing in heels counts??

Tues 10th Feb

8k easy. Was feeling GREAT!!!! Legs felt so comfortable and it all felt so effortless...there were a bunch of club runners heading towards me so I moved out of their way into the cycle lane...I usually cross at that point anyhow...so I looked over my shoulder for cars... turned back around to look for oncoming traffic and BAM!!!! I feckin tripped up..I don't mean a small embarrassing 'silly me!' stumble....I mean a proper Hannibal Smith A-Team stunt tumble and roll!!! :o. I was never so mortified!!

If any of those who stopped were boardsies...thanks so much..I'm sorry if I appeared rude but I just had to get the truck outta there!!!

So I continued on and finished the run and despite totally embarrassing myself...it actually felt very comfortable.

• Advertisement

Aw poor you! Luckily you didn't hurt yourself (pride?) or injure vital running anatomy :) Love that effortless feeling!

Advertisement