Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I love it when a plan comes together

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,893 ✭✭✭Hannibal Smith

I shouldn't have gone. Plan was to do 2k easy..2k steady 1k run! But my legs were knackered from last night... I was breathing heavy from the off and everything about it was unpleasant...the amount of people around me was annoying and I couldn't face another battle against the wind like I had last night....so after 2k I just pulled out. Feck it...what's the point

The bump up to 9k per easy run is hard....I'm sick of running in the dark along the same streets by myself. I'm sick of falling, of feeling crap and just the feeling that I'm out of my depth...and most of all I'm sick of doing these bloomin park runs and screwing them up!

Long run tomorrow and I'm not running anywhere near rathfarnham, firhouse or flaming tallaght...I'm driving down to a coastline some where where it's pretty and calm and bright.

This is my last thought of running for today. Massive bottle of wine tonight and a kilo worth of chocolate and I dare anyone to argue that that's not part of the plan!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,355 ✭✭✭Bungy Girl

I hear ya on the wind !

But seriously don't be put off by a couple of less than perfect runs. Clocks going forward in a couple of weeks. Must be some off road trails not too far from you ? Maybe you could investigate those for a change of scenery. We all have days when running feels like a chore but you will get your mojo back again, I promise !! Don't get too caught up on time or pace until you're feeling the love again.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭hillsiderunner

You have my sympathy on the wind front....

Sometimes the only thing you can do is bail.

It might go fine tomorrow, I had two tough runs last weekend but then my midweek runs went really well :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,044 ✭✭✭chickey2

Hope you're enjoying the vino and chocolate! You sound like me, some days running is the best thing ever and then other days it's a real chore. I took a week off completely last week and felt crap and guilty. Went out on Friday and only managed 4k. Today though I took my favourite route up to the reservoir and did 14k and came home with a smile. Sometimes you just need a change. If you want a running partner send me a pm as I'm about at your level and think live near you. Good luck tomorrow wherever you go!

*runs in and quickly puts dollies back inside the pram*:o

Went out to bray this morning...I ran down the promenade and back up...where, by the way, it seems dogs and buggies have priority over everyone else and and people can walk 5 people across, so if you're stupid enough to be running you have to some how squeeze through (I never said my mood was better ;) :P ). On the way back up my legs finally relaxed a bit and bray head was in front of me so I went up the pathway. Ive never been up there before...I stopped at a bench took a few pics....went to take off again...me legs wouldn't budge lol. So I stopped again and whatever happened at that second stop...I flew after it! The rocky music came on and I moved it! :D

Anyhow I ran till my legs got tired again, which wasn't all that far lol. I could have pushed on but it wouldn't have done me any favours....it'll wait for another time. Not sure how much of the 10k I got done...or how steady it was lol. But it was a nice boost. I wore me new runners too (which I bought yest after saying I wasn't going to think about running for the rest of the day ;) )and whilst its too soon to say for sure...they were just the smoothest comfiest clouds of smoothy comfort :D.

Oh and the boy says to me this morning as I'm on the way out....I thought you were never running again...cheeky sod...he's grounded!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,272 ✭✭✭Dubgal72

Nice run, nothing like new runners eh?! We have it in our DNA from kids 'look how fast I can run in my new runners!' :D
    I feel bad I couldn't warn you - bray is my manor ;) - and the seafront is the WORST place to run on a Sunday or fine day. Do these people not know the prom is for runners?! I usually only run there at night cos of bloody promenaders :)
    Glad to hear you had a good run.

Bungy Girl wrote: »
    I hear ya on the wind !

But seriously don't be put off by a couple of less than perfect runs. Clocks going forward in a couple of weeks. Must be some off road trails not too far from you ? Maybe you could investigate those for a change of scenery. We all have days when running feels like a chore but you will get your mojo back again, I promise !! Don't get too caught up on time or pace until you're feeling the love again.

There are some great routes around and I do have my eye on a route, I think its around kilakee? But it would have been more of a battle than my head was ready for today :D. But you're right, today just going with it, was much nicer!
    You have my sympathy on the wind front....

Sometimes the only thing you can do is bail.

It might go fine tomorrow, I had two tough runs last weekend but then my midweek runs went really well :)

I have a better feeling today...when I get to the other side of this I'll be like a train ;)
    chickey2 wrote: »
    Hope you're enjoying the vino and chocolate! You sound like me, some days running is the best thing ever and then other days it's a real chore. I took a week off completely last week and felt crap and guilty. Went out on Friday and only managed 4k. Today though I took my favourite route up to the reservoir and did 14k and came home with a smile. Sometimes you just need a change. If you want a running partner send me a pm as I'm about at your level and think live near you. Good luck tomorrow wherever you go!

Friday was so tough Chickey...I should have bailed sooner. But part of me was thinking what if I change my mind about the park run.. I'd best just keep going and at least get the plan done. But I'll know next time. In a few weeks the Fri run is a 4k recovery so a park run should be perfect the day after. If it doesn't feel right I'll just wait till it does.

Would love to meet up for a run...we could do the reservoir?!

Dubgal72 wrote: »
    Nice run, nothing like new runners eh?! We have it in our DNA from kids 'look how fast I can run in my new runners!' :D
    I feel bad I couldn't warn you - bray is my manor ;) - and the seafront is the WORST place to run on a Sunday or fine day. Do these people not know the prom is for runners?! I usually only run there at night cos of bloody promenaders :)
    Glad to hear you had a good run.

DG they're beautiful! I bought addidas back in Oct and they've been nothing but work. They felt lovely in the beginning, thats why I'm afraid of jinxing these new ones. I had asics before that took no breaking in at all...so I went back to them. Had a chat with the guy in the shop and all!

I only found out when I came back that if I'd gone along the pathway it would have been a 7k run to greystones? I might keep that one for the next 14k Sunday run!

Does having gel in your runners count as an enhancer for cheating purposes? Cause it should! Run no 2 in new runners and I swear there were times I forgot i was running

9k easy ...or to be exact 9.67 k..if I'd seen my watch early i think would have kept going to an even 10...that .67 looks untidy!

Does having gel in your runners count as an enhancer for cheating purposes? Cause it should! Run no 2 in new runners and I swear there were times I forgot i was running

9k easy ...or to be exact 9.67 k..if I'd seen my watch early i think would have kept going to an even 10...that .67 looks untidy!
    Good woman ;) a shining example of what good boardsies should aspire too :D

• Advertisement

9k progression run 3,3,3

Turned out to be 7 (or 7.70k :P) 3,3 and 1.7.

The reason for this is so lame. Its very difficult finding a straight path with no break and I wanted the longest path for the final mp pace part. So the loop around my estate is close to 4k..so x 2 and add on 1 more k and thats 9. If I do it anti clockwise I'll have a good clear path for the best part of the final 3k @mp. *sigh* I've only ever done the route clockwise and anti clockwise felt so unnatural and uncomfortable! It was just wrong!

By the time I was well in to the second loop I looked at my watch and saw somehow my calculations were way off (even though there are 4 clear sli na slainte signs :rolleyes: ). It was only 6.5 Km and I only had 1 km of path left so I could either turn back on myself, go another loop around, or just run the rest of the path and come home. I picked the last option :o. That ain't going to get me to 10k in 55 mins but what ya gonna do.

The run itself was way more controlled. I have it down to a tee from the last progression run. Easy pace = 4 breaths in 2 out. Steady = 3 in 2 out. MP = 2 in 1 out. I kept the steady going in a far stronger attempt than last time but joking aside it came at the price of the last MP section because I couldn't have kept it going any longer, but the last time I nearly had to have a lie down before tackling the mp part.

So I took a sneaky cheat out tonight and who knows how things will work out when it comes to a race(there'll be no chance for cop outs then!) and whether I'll achieve the result I want. But, and this isn't a cop out, if I can complete it with half the confidence and ease of the last 2 nights that'll be one hell of a jump in progress. And if its 56:00 on the clock, I can blame tonights laziness ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 558 ✭✭✭ECOLII

It's your first time adding quality into the plan try not worry if you pull up here or there, enjoy the variety in training, you will see big improvements throughout the training cycle just stay consistent and have fun with it :)

Good work tonight :)

ECOLII wrote: »
    It's your first time adding quality into the plan try not worry if you pull up here or there, enjoy the variety in training, you will see big improvements throughout the training cycle just stay consistent and have fun with it :)

Good work tonight :)

I'm definitely enjoying it more for sure, despite last weeks dip. Its become like a proper project or hobby. And I haven't called them whinging Wednesdays in a while.

I worry about the speed sometimes, that I'm not tapping into something that I should be able to by now...but then I can't let that absorb the goodness from the progress I've made in other ways.

And when it does go wrong.. You never blame the plan man...Hannibal never blames the plan ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 558 ✭✭✭ECOLII

I'm definitely enjoying it more for sure, despite last weeks dip. Its become like a proper project or hobby. And I haven't called them whinging Wednesdays in a while.

I worry about the speed sometimes, that I'm not tapping into something that I should be able to by now...but then I can't let that absorb the goodness from the progress I've made in other ways.

And when it does go wrong.. You never blame the plan man...Hannibal never blames the plan ;)

Ha I was thinking the opposite, having the plan means you can blame someone else :p

The speed will come don't you worry

ECOLII wrote: »
    Ha I was thinking the opposite, having the plan means you can blame someone else :p

The speed will come don't you worry

:D. No. I'd never blame the plan. Mind you, I have all future weeks blocked out on the spreadsheet so only the week I'm on is visible. Its like when you tell someone climbing heights 'don't look down'. Id say there'll be a few times in the coming weeks where the plan will be cursed from one end of tallaght to the other..:D :pac:

*dusts off the cobwebs*

So. Last week wasn't great...brought my runners on hols as planned and tried to stick to the plan. Madrid is hilly!!! And the heat made it trickier than I expected (not in anyway moaning, not after all the moaning I did about the cold :pac: Any how...closest thing I could classify it as is about 30 mins of hill sprints... Not the 9k easy it was supposed to be :o

Sunday was a day at a gaa show case with the kids...so I couldn't get the long run in. Does running around a pitch count as some sort of nod towards the plan?

The last few days... I dunno what to say. You know when people say take a few days off when you're body isn't up to it? Well it wasn't my body, but my head wasn't in it. I've tried pushing through this fed up feeling and it hasn't worked. Its not that I've given up...every day I wake up with the intention to run....but the banality of the same old runs just are wrecking my head. So I thought I'd leave it until I was DYING for a run. Get the aul itch back.

As seems to be my good luck with running, I seem to meet the right people at exactly the right time and get the talking to I need. So after a fantastic read last night and a few excellent words of perspective from pacing mule and me head is coming round.

I have totally sucked the enjoyment out of it all with the ridiculous pressure I was putting on myself. So have a new mantra...when Monica Geller is doing her tap dancing and one of them says she's doing it wrong and she says 'yeah but at least I'm doing it'. Its not a cop out and its not a way of stepping off the gears...its just to get the buzz back.

So with that in mind I went out for a run in the beautiful sunshine. It was hard and it'll take a bit to get out of the mindset I've been in, but I'll do it. I'll get back in the swing of it.

In the meantime I've a run with chickey2 lined up for tomorrow! Eek! My first time running with some one else. I hope I got all the heaviness out of me legs today and I'm like a gazelle tomorrow :D

I dunno who I'm talking to when I'm typing all this and the tapping is getting on the Hubby's nerves as he's watching the match :D

8k easy...with a couple of walk breaks :o

Looks like the weather will be similar tomorrow for our run! I'm just back from a hike up three rock so will be taking it slow tomorrow. We can just agree to tell everyone we were like two gazelles!

chickey2 wrote: »
    Looks like the weather will be similar tomorrow for our run! I'm just back from a hike up three rock so will be taking it slow tomorrow. We can just agree to tell everyone we were like two gazelles!

Oh lovely. ..today was fab! See you in the morning!

Best thing about running is it gets you up and out like a morning like this!

Best thing about running with someone else...the time ticks by without knowing it. Thanks chickey2 hope I didn't slow you down too much!

13k easy...a bit too easy in some parts.

I have to confess. ..I had a few to many drinks the other night that ended with a silly fag. Its that kind of messin thats continously messing things up...my lungs hurt!

With that in mind, I think its time to say goodbye to the booze. Its going to be so hard but its nothing but bad news that leads to bad choices. Work is so stressful that its so hard to avoid a drink to unwind, but I can never stop at one :pac: The hubby actually said it to me the other night that im slipping back into old territory. ..so jees...this could be it for me and the gargle :eek: I saw a post on here yesterday about something else that said something like 'trying to stop isn't enough. ..you have to say you are stopping'. It'll be so so hard and my family and friends are going to be a nightmare. ..but imagine if it meant taking this whole thing to another level!

Yowzah...should I post this!!!!

You didn't slow me down at all! The run flew by with company so thank you. Will have to do it again soon.

Fair play to you deciding to give up the drink. I could do with less wine myself but not ready to give it up completely just yet. I'd say you'll notice the difference soon enough.

• Advertisement

I don't think its legally binding until I put it on Facebook is it? :P

9k easy

Last few runs have been hard. My legs feel tired setting off and me muscles feel a bit tingly for a while when I get back. Did a good amount if stretching after tonights run so hopefully they'll loosen up.

One thing that I did notice was on Sat I stopped for a walk break for the first time on an easy run in so long. My thinking is that because i havent had to stop I haven't had to use any of the tricks to keep going in a long time and I've almost forgotten them. Luckily I wrote down my morun experience elsewhere so I pulled that out and tonight may have had a feel like the old days leg wise, but it was like a revision course, full of distractions to keep going. So if things to go wrong in the next race it's all fresh in my mind and ready for use. Isn't that half the point of training??!!

Got some new tunes too and I swear there were points me and Hozier were nearly skipping along!

Was as slow as a snail, but at least I'm doing it!

3 x 18 mins at mp with 3 mins recovery

EFF off running and take your stupid mp with you!

I can't even drown me sorrows coz I gave up the stupid booze!!!

3 x 18 mins at mp with 3 mins recovery

EFF off running and take your stupid mp with you!

I can't even drown me sorrows coz I gave up the stupid booze!!!

Sounds like you're not the only one who needs to ditch the plan and go off-road for a while...
    Check out this lady's dilemma http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057403247

Running has to be fun. We put ourselves through too much pain doing it :rolleyes: that it has to be, otherwise what's the point??
    I prescribe 1) at least one run in company each week 2) no plan for at least a week and 3) NO GARMIN ever ok for at least three weeks :D

I can't even blame the watch DG I only use it to make sure I get the distance in. I do check the stats when I get back though...can I still keep it now??? :D

Its this bloomin mp and trying to figure out what it is and not what it should be. Ive never done a marathon so my deduction was to go by feel in the progression runs...being conscious of how it feels and using the breathing as a guide to use for tonights type of work. But it could very well be that the mp and therefore cues I'm using are too fast because i do it for 10/15 mins and the run is totally shagged afterwards and nothing brings it back.

The kicker is that those 10/15 mins are fantastic! Thats where I want to be! The feeling in the legs...the fire in the belly. But its just not sustainable. And half of it is attitude... I see this work out coming up on the weeks plan and I groan!! I start speeding up and I panic lol if I could shut off the panic I'd be grand :D

If no one tells the boss I'm going to change these work outs the next time they come up and do maybe shorter intervals. You never saw this ;)

Haha sure the boss has jumped ship and doesn't get to read these, does he?! ;):D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

Hi HS
    If you have a recent time over any distance then you can plug it in here and it will tell you what your approximate marathon pace should be. https://www.mcmillanrunning.com/

If going by feel, you should feel like your clipping along smooth and swiftly but at the same stage not out of breath or working too hard. If you are panting after 18 minutes of a Marathon, you are not going to last 26 miles :)

Hope this helps.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,936 ✭✭✭annapr

One other piece of advice that helped me is to make sure the pace you train to reflects where you are currently, not where you aspire to be... Or where you were at peak fitness. You'll get fitter, just takes time.

Dubgal72 wrote: »
    Haha sure the boss has jumped ship and doesn't get to read these, does he?! ;):D

I hope not! It'll be our secret :D
    menoscemo wrote: »
    Hi HS
    If you have a recent time over any distance then you can plug it in here and it will tell you what your approximate marathon pace should be. https://www.mcmillanrunning.com/

If going by feel, you should feel like your clipping along smooth and swiftly but at the same stage not out of breath or working too hard. If you are panting after 18 minutes of a Marathon, you are not going to last 26 miles :)

Hope this helps.

Hi meno

Oh :o. I think I've found the problem then :o. Going by that page my mp is 6:12 per km....and I ran it this eve at 5:43. It did feel like just moving swiftly mind you.

I'm going to set my watch to 6:12 and see how that feels. just don't tell DG

Thank you meno.

• Advertisement

annapr wrote: »
    One other piece of advice that helped me is to make sure the pace you train to reflects where you are currently, not where you aspire to be... Or where you were at peak fitness. You'll get fitter, just takes time.

Thanks Anna. I just wasnt sure where I was, but I think I know now :D

Advertisement