Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Good Fishmongers in Dublin

Options
  • 22-11-2014 4:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,902 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

I've found a good butchers in Rathfarnham (Wilsons) but I'm looking for a good place to buy fish. Something of the same quality as the meat you'd get in Wilsons. Preferably without having to drive to Howth!

Any recommendations?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭Ziboo

Hi all,

I've found a good butchers in Rathfarnham (Wilsons) but I'm looking for a good place to buy fish. Something of the same quality as the meat you'd get in Wilsons. Preferably without having to drive to Howth!

Any recommendations?

Hi,

Feeneys Fish, Barton Drive Rathfarnham is a good fishmongers. There is also a good butcher in the same block (George King Butchers). I detour that way to get fish and often pop into the butchers at the same time.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 soap_bubble

Kish Fish in Coolock, they have also a shop in town as far as I know. I buy there every week, always fresh and good quality.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,180 ✭✭✭hfallada

Kish fish is beside Church St. There is usually plenty of parking outside the door. The prices are pretty good and the fish is excellent

• Registered Users Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭ixus

http://www.fitzsimonsfish.ie/ in kimmage were on Retail Therapy a couple of years back.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭ixus

http://www.fitzsimonsfish.ie/ in kimmage were on Retail Therapy a couple of years back.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 465 ✭✭Hugo_Whoriskey

Rays Catch in the Rosemount shopping centre (think that's the name, behind the library) in Rathfarnham was always good when I was living in the area

• Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭terryhobdell

Hi all,

Any recommendations?

http://stevieconnollyseafood.com/ not far from you 135 Rathmines Rd. It is about 5 doors up from the superb James Lawlor Butchers who also sells fish

• Registered Users Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭Teyla Emmagan

There's a fishmongers in Sundrive (not bad, but not a huge selection) and one at Ashleaf (which I've never been in to). The Superquinn in Sundrive always did good fish. The two mentioned above on the Upper Rathmines Road are the best nearby though.

It's actually shocking (IMO) how few fishmongers there are in the city.

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭mortimer33

There's a fishmongers in Sundrive (not bad, but not a huge selection) and one at Ashleaf (which I've never been in to).

Don't remember seeing a fishmongers in the Ashleaf - is that the butchers?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,656 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

It's actually shocking (IMO) how few fishmongers there are in the city.

It is shocking. Us Irish mainly only seem to like fish if someone else is cooking it for us in a takeaway or restaurant scenario. I think many people are afraid of cookiing fish as it can be quite delicate. I think also the fishmongers that are out there need to innovate like many butchers have done and go down the road of providing oven ready fish in a marinade or sauce with other accompaniments on sale. The fish section in my local Dunnes can put any fish into an oven bag and then dump in your choice of a few toppings like garlic and herb bread crumbs, oils, etc. Then then seal up the bag and you just dump it in the oven, I even think the microwave would do it too if you were stuck. Its a god system which means you don't even have to handle the raw fish before cooking, just dump in and go.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,902 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

Thanks for the recommendations! Will start trying these out... nothing like a good bit of fried cod (or some scollops)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭Teyla Emmagan

mortimer33 wrote: »
    Don't remember seeing a fishmongers in the Ashleaf - is that the butchers?

Near Ashleaf, sorry, not inside. It's on the main road going towards the KCR.

Advertisement