Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

desktop not working on screen

Options
  • 22-11-2014 5:53pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 616 ✭✭✭

I have a desktop, its booting up but nothing showing on my monitor. Decided to check it on TV and still not working. Had a guy look at it, he thought it was graphic card, changed it still not working. Anyone know what else it could be

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

How do you know it's booting? Can you see anything at all on the monitor at any stage of the boot process? (bios etc?).

Does the pc have different display ports (eg, it may have more than one VGA port for plugging in a monitor). If this is the case, try the other port, and if this fails, and you can see the BIOS screen, enter the bios and see if you can see an option for on-board graphics, and enable this. Save the bios settings and reboot and see if the machine will come up with the VGA cable plugged into the port on the mother board.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 616 ✭✭✭duckcfc

How do you know it's booting? Can you see anything at all on the monitor at any stage of the boot process? (bios etc?).

Does the pc have different display ports (eg, it may have more than one VGA port for plugging in a monitor). If this is the case, try the other port, and if this fails, and you can see the BIOS screen, enter the bios and see if you can see an option for on-board graphics, and enable this. Save the bios settings and reboot and see if the machine will come up with the VGA cable plugged into the port on the mother board.

Nothing on the screen when booting up. I'm just going by the sound of it TBH. It only has one VGA port and same on monitor and tv .

• Registered Users Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

duckcfc wrote: »
    Nothing on the screen when booting up. I'm just going by the sound of it TBH. It only has one VGA port and same on monitor and tv .

Is there a USB keyboard attached? If so, turn the computer on, wait 5 minutes and see if you can turn on CAPS. (I'm hoping this keyboard also has a light to signify whether CAPS is on or off.) If you can see the light, then the machine is booting, but if not it would sound like it is actually not booting at all. If this is the case, it could be any number of things that have failed.

• Registered Users Posts: 429 ✭✭IrlMonk

Reseat the ram modules.
    Or
    To check if your mobo has failed, remove ram power up. If you hear beeps then your mobo should be okay.
    You say that there is only one vga socket!
    Your gpu should have a vga or dvi socket and the mobo should have a vga socket too!!

Advertisement