Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Apprenticeships - Plumbing

Options
  • 22-11-2014 6:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,578 ✭✭✭

Hello all, a bit of advice needed.

Does anyone know the best way of going about getting taken on as an apprentice plumber? I need a change of career and fancy getting a trade. I've read before on here people mentioning they were offered apprenticeships.

Thanks in advance, any info will be greatly appreciated.

PS Im a Canadian citizen

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 34 davey boy

I have been thinking of trying to get an apprenticeship recently myself Ciaran. The ITA website gives a lot of information on becoming an apprentice in BC. I cant seem to post the link for you.

There is foundation courses you can complete too to give you basic training and make it easier for you to find an employer to take you on. They also count as credit towards the apprenticeship. There was an open evening in BCIT during the week and I was looking at info on some of the foundation courses that are available.

I think the hardest part for me will be to find an employer to sponsor me. The work BC jobs website will show some employers that are looking to hire apprentices.

Hang on, how do apprenticeships work visa-wise? Counts as education no?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,752 ✭✭✭el diablo

Hang on, how do apprenticeships work visa-wise? Counts as education no?

Yes. You can't do an apprenticeship of you're on a work permit/visa.

We're all in this psy-op together.🤨

• Registered Users Posts: 34 davey boy

Yes. I am only looking into it as I have my PR.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,578 ✭✭✭ciaran67

Thanks for the replies.

• Advertisement
Advertisement