Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

UL computer systems degree = normal computer science degree ?

• 22-11-2014 6:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1

I want to do a coding software development course after lc this year and think that a normal computer science degree is the way to go. I know that UL offer a computer systems course but im not sure whether this is the same as the computer science course. Could anyone differentiate between computer systems in ul and computer science(e.g on offer in ucc) and recommend which to follow if i want to go in the al out coding route. Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 255 ✭✭SellingJuan

I want to do a coding software development course after lc this year and think that a normal computer science degree is the way to go. I know that UL offer a computer systems course but im not sure whether this is the same as the computer science course. Could anyone differentiate between computer systems in ul and computer science(e.g on offer in ucc) and recommend which to follow if i want to go in the al out coding route. Thanks

Yes it is. The name hasnt been changed to computer science due to tradition of the course.(One of the first in the college).

Computer Systems in UL is a very well known degree to employers. I have spoken to employers who have told me graduates from the course are always bumped up on the C.V list.

You do 8 months co-op (currently doing) and i have learned so much from it. Its a very practical course i.e no bull lots of programming and projects.(Android Apps, Websites, Java Progams).

Hope this helps any question dont be afraid to ask.

p.s look at the modules covered in the different courses

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,324 ✭✭✭chrislad

I just graduated from CompSys in August and nearly all the people in this (and the sister Games course) had jobs straight after exams, let alone results! It's very high demand at the moment. Whether that will be the case in 4 years is another thing, but technology isn't going anywhere so you will get something if you do well. I literally started a job 2 days after my final exam before I had my results. Where I'm currently working, there are a good number of CompSys graduates, some dating back 15 years, and as the previous poster said, it's held in high regard.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 snifflecry14

thanks a million guys this info really helps !!!

Advertisement