Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Substitute for coconut milk?

Options
  • 22-11-2014 6:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 551 ✭✭✭

I made a Thai curry for the family the other day and it went down very well (they'd never had it before). My mother didn't realise there was coconut milk in it though, and she had a bad reaction to it, which is something she's always had apparently. Is there anything that could be used instead of coconut milk? It would also have to be non-dairy as I'm lactose intolerant. If there isn't anything else that would work then I just won't make it again, but I'd love to know if there is.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,274 ✭✭✭Curry Addict

on holiday last year and i acquired some huge prawns. i thought i had a can of coconut milk back in the holiday home. I went to rustle up a quick snack in the evening and found there was no coconut milk. so a quick rummage through the fridge and found some cream, red curry paste, some lemon and fish sauce. I cooked 4 large prawns in 3 tbs of red curry paste turned down the heat added 1 tbs of lemon juice 1 tbs fish sauce and stirred in a nice amount of cream(enough to make a nice sauce). It was really really delicious, like way better than I expected.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,221 ✭✭✭braddun

soy milk,almond milk etc

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭Sardino

Natural yoghurt? Won't be as watery as a coconut milk curry but I prefer it.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,777 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

The OP is lactose intolerant. Cream & yoghurt are not suitable replacements.

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭Sardino

Sorry about that. What about small amount of another nut milk like almond milk? Wouldn't have the same distinctive taste but acts as a balance against the spices.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 551 ✭✭✭Polka_Dot

Thanks for the responses so far! I was thinking of just replacing with a different type of milk and sacrificing the creaminess. I might try that first and see how it goes.
    The OP is lactose intolerant. Cream & yoghurt are not suitable replacements.

Well I could use soya cream/yoghurt, though I don't know if the texture/taste would be exactly the same as using the regular stuff.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,712 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tree

Could you split the meal into two pots before you add the cream/coconut milk. Sometimes it's simpler to cook two dishes instead of finding modifcations that suit both. Then you could use coconut milk for you, cream for your mother, and everyone else can eat whatevers given to them

Advertisement