Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Polygon: Disney Can save Nintendo

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 906 ✭✭✭Randall Floyd

Do Nintendo need saving?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

Exactly, Nintendo have tons of cash left. They can make a mess of the next 2 console generations and still not be in the state Sony are in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,447 ✭✭✭richymcdermott

Not sure if the article means in a financially state to save nintendo but make them even more known and marketed better.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭gizmo

Exactly, Nintendo have tons of cash left. They can make a mess of the next 2 console generations and still not be in the state Sony are in.
    Bingo. The author seems to be concentrating on Nintendo's recent financial performance and almost completely ignores their massive cash reserves until the end of the article, which itself invalidates the need for them to be "saved" in the first place. Don't get me wrong, the piece is an interesting read but when you take Nintendo's stability into consideration, the only side who would really benefit from the deal is Disney.

While part of me would like to see some of Nintendo's characters in high quality CGI/animated movies, I'd prefer if they came from the animation houses over at DC who are knocking Marvel around the place when it comes to the quality of their releases to date. Live action wise, outside of Metroid I don't think any of their other mainstream properties would work as well.

gizmo wrote: »
    Bingo. The author seems to be concentrating on Nintendo's recent financial performance and almost completely ignores their massive cash reserves until the end of the article, which itself invalidates the need for them to be "saved" in the first place. Don't get me wrong, the piece is an interesting read but when you take Nintendo's stability into consideration, the only side who would really benefit from the deal is Disney.

While part of me would like to see some of Nintendo's characters in high quality CGI/animated movies, I'd prefer if they came from the animation houses over at DC who are knocking Marvel around the place when it comes to the quality of their releases to date. Live action wise, outside of Metroid I don't think any of their other mainstream properties would work as well.

you are correct on this but dc cancelling young justice still hurts me inside :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭gizmo

you are correct on this but dc cancelling young justice still hurts me inside :(
    Ah, that was Cartoon Network at fault, the same company which also canned the excellent Green Lantern animated series all because of...well reasons that are totally off topic. :pac:

Anyway, I was referring more to the DC Animated Original Movie series. While there have been a couple of missteps so far, their output overall has been pretty fantastic and I reckon they'd do a stellar job with Samus.

I dont see why nintendo never took animated shows off , miyamoto has talked about the pikmin 3 short movies he made we can purchase soon enough through eshop, but even the link vs pitt animated tease for lady paletuna from nintendo direct had we wishing for a animated smash movie.

Heres the ideas nintendo , make it and take my money :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,660 ✭✭✭COYVB

Not sure if the article means in a financially state to save nintendo but make them even more known and marketed better.

Nintendo's marketing is disturbingly bad at the moment. Marketing to middle aged women and non-gamers worked for the Wii, and now their marketing department is convinced that's the way to go. Big sales for mario kart 8? Oh, that'll be because of ads in Hello and during The View. Super Smash Bros is a system shifter? That'll be the mommy market.

They're idiots.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,353 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

If Nintendo a want to do animation they are better of controlling it themselves and don't need Disney.

Nintendo do need to shape up their marketing department. What they did for the Wii was incredible but they've sat on those laurels instead, well doing what they did with the wii and changing up how they work.

There idea of using a tablet controller to entice people that were the cause of the tablet boom did not pay off just like when you could not go to the cinema without seeing 3D everywhere.

Alot of this may seem meh to alot of us but nintendo were kind of thinking of the bigger picture which give credit they took the chance even when it did not pay off in the end.

Even now seeing the wii u it seems all the marketing around the controller has seemed to cmpletely gone away , even with now the adaptor for the gamecube controller nintendo seem to have gone back to basics.

Alot of titles coming to the system are core titles not alot of wii series or I hate to use the term kiddy games , everything seems to be focusing on core nintendo experience.

Which I am all for.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,656 ✭✭✭C14N

I think people are exaggerating how bad Nintendo has it. The Wii U isn't selling great but I'd still have to imagine that whatever they're losing on it is more than being made up for by the 3DS.

I really hope they don't make film versions of Nintendo franchises though. Metroid maybe would be viable but Mario or Zelda would be horrible. Those games are good purely because they are games, and the lack of spoken dialogue in them is still an essential part of either franchise. I just can't see that translating into film.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,326 ✭✭✭dunworth1

C14N wrote:
    I really hope they don't make film versions of Nintendo franchises though. Metroid maybe would be viable but Mario or Zelda would be horrible. Those games are good purely because they are games, and the lack of spoken dialogue in them is still an essential part of either franchise. I just can't see that translating into film.

Have you not seen the super Mario bros movie then?

They also did the pokemon movies first few were decent enough

• Registered Users Posts: 3,178 ✭✭✭Ridley

C14N wrote: »

World's still waiting for Hollywood to crack the video game adaptation but while I think Zelda's doable as live-action, I doubt there's anyone willing to set aside the budget that it would require for a movie to be taken seriously.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

I can imagine Disney "helping" Nintendo.

A bounty hunter taken in by 8 Toads who work all day treasure tracking, trying to keep her safe from Ganondorf and his minions.

Who do I gotta sleep with around here to pitch a script!? :pac:

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,597 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

What an awful thought, allowing Disney anywhere near Nintendo ip.
    Besides, there are plenty of Japanese and European animators put there that could do as good a job.
    A Studio Ghibli Legend of Zelda?
    Cartoon Saloon making a Paper Mario movie?

Disney are doing OK right now, but they are still capable of buggering marketing themselves, John Carter is case and point, a good time at the films largely flopping due to poor marketing. And it wasn't alone.

dunworth1 wrote: »
    Have you not seen the super Mario bros movie then?

They also did the pokemon movies first few were decent enough

No of course not, everything about it looks utterly dreadful.

I've only seen the first Pokemon film but it was far from decent. Looking at the followups, the second and third installments got 15% and 22% on Rotten Tomatoes respectively which would be desperate by any measure but considering it's from such a widely loved franchise, it's even worse.
    Ridley wrote: »
    World's still waiting for Hollywood to crack the video game adaptation but while I think Zelda's doable as live-action, I doubt there's anyone willing to set aside the budget that it would require for a movie to be taken seriously.

I really can't picture it going down well as live action at all. The things that make is so enjoyable and identifiable as a videogame would just not work as a film, it would be like jamming a round peg into a square hole.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,353 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

C14N wrote: »
    No of course not, everything about it looks utterly dreadful.

Watch it, it's amazing.

And by watch it I mean watch it while absolutely polluted with absinthe with similarly drunk friends.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,326 ✭✭✭dunworth1

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Watch it, it's amazing.

And by watch it I mean watch it while absolutely polluted with absinthe with similarly drunk friends.

yes it was quite good back in the day
    believe it or not but i used to rent it out from the local video store at least once every couple of weeks as a kid.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,178 ✭✭✭Ridley

Can Netflix save Nintendo?
    “The Legend of Zelda,” one of the most popular videogame series of all time, is in the works as a television show at Netflix.

The video streaming service is in the early stages of developing a live action series based on “Zelda,” about an ordinary boy named Link who must rescue a princess named Zelda and save a fantasy world called Hyrule, said a person familiar with the matter. As it seeks writers to work on the show, Netflix is describing it as “Game of Thrones for a family audience, this person said.

The “Zelda” games have traditionally included swords and sorcery, like “Game of Thrones” or “Lord of the Rings,” but typically with a more light-hearted, kid-friendly tone.

Netflix is said to be working closely with Nintendo, the Japanese game developer that has made about 20 “The Legend of Zelda” games since the original, which was released in the U.S. in 1987.

Nintendo is very protective of its intellectual property and has allowed few adaptations over the years. An animated “Legend of Zelda” series ran for just one season in 1989. A 1993 movie based on Nintendo’s “Super Mario Bros.” was an infamous bomb.

As it is still seeking a writer to work on the series, Netflix has a long road to travel before a “Legend of Zelda” series actually becomes a reality. It’s also possible that Netflix or Nintendo will kill the project before it gets off the ground.

A Netflix spokeswoman declined to comment. A Nintendo spokesman said the company “doesn’t comment on rumors and speculation.”

Who'd win in a fight between person-familiar-with-the-matter, Netflix spokeswoman, and Nintendo spokesman?

Ridley wrote: »
    Can Netflix save Nintendo?

Who'd win in a fight between person-familiar-with-the-matter, Netflix spokeswoman, and Nintendo spokesman?

Seems like most people are calling BS this story. It hasn't got any sources and it's just from a WSJ blog, not the paper itself.

• Advertisement

I wouldn't be surprised. Nintendo have said they will be licensing out their properties a lot more.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

Link... Talking? No.

"Well excuuuuuuse me, Princess!"

Advertisement