Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

cross on Carrauntoohil cut down

Options
1235»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,452 ✭✭✭SomeFool

Won't miss it too much, hope it's replaced with some sort of marker though, Irelands highest point deserves some kind of monument imo. Kind of disappointed that whoever went to the trouble of felling it didn't complete the stunt and remove the scrap when finished.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,764 ✭✭✭my3cents

Alun wrote: »
    But if it was indeed simply an act of vandalism why go to all the trouble of making it so neat and tidy? Why so close to the ground? Why not simply go in at an angle at waist height, downwards away from you, to make sure it fell in the right direction and not land on top of you and potentially kill you?

If you blow the picture up, it looks like the thing was made by welding two U sections together rather than a ready made box section. That might explain the 'burn mark' on the left.

Look at the picture linked in post #4 of a modern post that failed due to fatigue. That looks pretty neat too and you'd be forgiven for thinking that had been cut too if you didn't know the truth.

If I hadn't trained as a metallurgist I wouldn't be arguing, there are far too many signs of a cutting disc being used for it be be anything else.

Its been cut at a nice convenient height for someone to hold a con saw or battery operated disc cutter. You can see the individual cuts and how and you can even work out the direction the disc was turning by how the swarf on the edge of the cut is built up.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,468 ✭✭✭Evil Phil

This forum is not really for discussion of religion.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement