Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How do you select a game from your backlog?

Options
  • 22-11-2014 7:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 13,750 ✭✭✭✭

I'm in the fortunate position of completing a game and have no immediate "must-play" next one, so going to get on with one from my backlog. Conservative estimate of about 50 games in my backlog that I would conceivably play (ignoring those games I got for free that I'll probably never play... I'm looking at you Viva Pinata)

I've no clear idea on what to choose next, do I go for the epic RPG that will take months to complete or the quickie that I can get through in a week or so?

Just curious to hear how others choose which game to play from their backlog? The quickie or big game, or does that factor?

Second question: do you stick with it till the end or does the burden of so many other unplayed games make you quit half-way through if it's taking too long to finish?

(On a side note, I actually long for my NES days when games weren't so cheap, so you bought one or two games per year and played them fully and found enjoyment regardless of how good the game was *sigh*)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,909 ✭✭✭sarumite

i have a tendency to have a big rpg ongoing over years. It took me over 3 years to finish FO new vegas (and perhaps 150 hours).
    Generally i would otherwise choose a smaller 'indie' title that sounds interexting. There are fewer big games in my backlog.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,597 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Find one that you've really wanted to play, a game you know you'll like and, regardless of length, play that.
    Batman Arkham Asylum is a good one tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,750 ✭✭✭✭mrcheez

Decided I want to complete Rage. My last save was in 2012, but I've always liked the simplicity of the game and reckon i can finish it up fairly quickly... Next up perhaps Dishonored or Borderlands 2 or Deus Ex - human revolution or Bioshock 3 or Tomb Raider or...

I'll do Skyrim properly after too... That should last a good few months ;)

I kinda prefer sticking with one game and seeing it through rather than jumping around and having to re-learn the controls (although jumping between games got me into this backlog mess in the first place)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,678 ✭✭✭TrustedApple

By going to online and buying another game that you will say you will play but ends up in your backlog while i am to busy playing fifa or Titanfall online ......

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭Stone Deaf 4evr

you should post up what your backlog is, we'll let you know the gems from the stinkers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,870 ✭✭✭✭Generic Dreadhead

mrcheez wrote: »
    Decided I want to complete Rage.

Oh hello, I see someone mentioned RAGE, my alarm was going off all weekend :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,992 ✭✭✭Korvanica

http://www.steamroulette.net/ is handy for selecting steam games.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,750 ✭✭✭✭mrcheez

you should post up what your backlog is, we'll let you know the gems from the stinkers.

ah the problem is they're all highly-rated/recommended games! ... actually I think I'll do Red Dead Redemption Undead Nightmare after Rage ... I still haven't played my copy of RDR though ;)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,597 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Red Dead Redemption, possibly the best game of the last generation, stunning stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,950 ✭✭✭Mr.Saturn

It was working on the idea of "play what you're in the mood of" that I realized how narrow my tastes were. Most people'd expand their horizons at that stage, but here I sit, playing Monkey Ball again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭penev10

I tend to try and "clear the decks" at certain times (usually in between RPGs) and just get through a few games. Am doing it now and I usually go for games that wont take too long. Did RE:Revelations and am onto Dishonored now. So many third person action games though that I find you can't play them one after the other.

Also, keep a spreadsheet or a backloggery account or something to keep track of the games. Really helps.

Advertisement