Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What documentation do you need going to the US

Options
  • 22-11-2014 9:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,739 ✭✭✭

Im planning a holiday that takes in Canada and US soon and Im at a loss as to what documentation I need when going from Canada to the US. I will be starting on Canada, then flying to the US, will my Electronic Visa be ok for this as its still in the 2 year expiry? Im also planning a day trip from Canada to US as part of the trip, what do I need for this?? I have asked the various tour operators and airports what I need but they all brush me off saying its up to me to have the right paperwork. I contacted the American Embassy and they said they will reply within 30 days..

If anyone out there has traveled between these 2 countries can you tell me what paperwork you need at borders for day trips and airports I have heard too many horror stories of people being detained and sent home off their holiday because they didnt have the right visa etc. Thanks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭98q76e12hrflnk

Google it.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

Well that's helpful ! :rolleyes:

OP, if you already have a valid ESTA, then you are good to go. Once you have that & your passport, you don't need anything else to travel into the US from Canada.

If you will be spending a long time in the US, you may be asked to prove that you have enough money to support yourself while you are in the US. You may also need proof of a job or college course in Ireland, that you intend to return to. These are to show that you do not plan on staying in the US and working illegally. But if you are only going over there there for a couple of weeks on holiday, don't worry about that stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,739 ✭✭✭Wanderer2010

^ Thanks a lot for the info, is it best to just print off the ESTA again?

• Registered Users Posts: 25,445 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

Again? You didn't need to print it in the first place. The FAQ on the ESTA website explicitly says that it is not necessary to print it.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

You can if you want to, but you don't have to, as they will already have it on file. If you are staying somewhere different to where you stayed when you went to the US, you should update it with your new US address.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,445 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

I will be starting on Canada, then flying to the US, will my Electronic Visa be ok for this as its still in the 2 year expiry?

Yes, your current ESTA will cover you for this visit. Note that ESTA is not a visa, it simply allows you to present to a US official at a point of entry.
    Im also planning a day trip from Canada to US as part of the trip, what do I need for this??

The ESTA won't apply if you're coming overland from Canada, you just fill out an I-94W and hand back the counterfoil when leaving. However .....

If you arrive into the US on a flight from Canada and get a 90 day travel permit to visit the US, the 90 day clock covers you for trips to Canada, Mexico and the 'adjacent islands' so if you fly to the US first, get a 90 day permit, then go to Canada and come back to the US overland, you will still be covered by the original 90-day permit.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,739 ✭✭✭Wanderer2010

Thanks for the information people. very helpful :)

One last thing: re: updating your ESTA with your US address, what if you are going to be staying in multiple addresses for your visit, I will be hopping to a few states as part of my holiday therefore different hotels etc?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,912 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ponster

Thanks for the information people. very helpful :)

One last thing: re: updating your ESTA with your US address, what if you are going to be staying in multiple addresses for your visit, I will be hopping to a few states as part of my holiday therefore different hotels etc?

It makes no difference. Just put down the address of where you'll be staying the first night that you spend in the US.

Advertisement