Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Storage heaters

Options
  • 22-11-2014 9:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭

hey guys I moved into a apartment last week. There is 3 storage heaters in it. They were running fine from last Monday right up until Friday night. Then I got back to the apartment Saturday evening and they didn't seem to have let heat out during the day. When you turn on the convector a swith they are working. Just there was no heat stored. Is there something wrong with them or is it something got to do with the esb tariff? I have never had any experience with these heaters before.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,565 ✭✭✭K.Flyer

It would be better to ask in the Electrical forum.

http://touch.boards.ie/forum/1018

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

Moved to Electrical.

• Registered Users Posts: 431 ✭✭Diggerdunne

There are numerous threads on here that explain numerous problems with storage heaters. If all three did not come on then the problem is either the room thermostat if one is fitted. The devi controller if one is used, the contactor or the esb nite saver clock. All of these would have to be checked individually to rule them out. Maybe explain your setup and u may get more specific help..

• Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭Egan2012

There are numerous threads on here that explain numerous problems with storage heaters. If all three did not come on then the problem is either the room thermostat if one is fitted. The devi controller if one is used, the contactor or the esb nite saver clock. All of these would have to be checked individually to rule them out. Maybe explain your setup and u may get more specific help..
    The thermostate in the room is at the recommended setting. The output on the heater is at one and the input is at six. It was working all the week and just stopped on Friday. I thought maybe it was something got to do with the nightsaver plan they are on. And maybe they stop at the weekends or something. It will be interesting to see if they come back on tomorrow

Egan2012 wrote: »
    The thermostate in the room is at the recommended setting. The output on the heater is at one and the input is at six. It was working all the week and just stopped on Friday. I thought maybe it was something got to do with the nightsaver plan they are on. And maybe they stop at the weekends or something. It will be interesting to see if they come back on tomorrow
    This is the room thermostate

• Advertisement

Maybe it was not cold enough for the heating to come on. Thats the purpose of a thermostat....

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,221 ✭✭✭braddun

are all your breakers on

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23 frankxxxx

This is the room thermostate

that's the boost control for the combi assuming it's sited in the living room...it's not for the off-peak that you have the problem with

Take a photo of your fuse board at this moment in time and it will help diagnose the problem possibly

Take a photo of your fuse board at this moment in time and it will help diagnose the problem possibly

This is the fuse board.

• Advertisement

Maybe it was not cold enough for the heating to come on. Thats the purpose of a thermostat....
    Maybe this is the problem. I'm not familer with storage heaters at all

frankxxxx wrote: »
    that's the boost control for the combi assuming it's sited in the living room...it's not for the off-peak that you have the problem with
    That picture of the thermostate is in the living room your right. As I said I'm not familiar with these at all. It's the only thing around that looks like a thermostate

Well the contactor in the bottom right hand corner should be for your storageheaters. Is the fuse board labelled? You should hear the contactor kickin at 11pm i think....

Is there a thermostat in the hall or anywhere else do u know? Set them to the highest, as looking for the most heat to see if they come on...

Well the contactor in the bottom right hand corner should be for your storageheaters. Is the fuse board labelled? You should hear the contactor kickin at 11pm i think....
    There is no labels on it. I will keep a listen for it at 11.

• Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭Par1

If you have a Sangamo clock then its possible the heaters dont come on at weekends as this clock can be programmed several ways...check that first. The clock should be located beside your meter and looks like this:

http://www.neweysonline.co.uk/sangamo-time-switch-4-pin-20a-0-6w/1000004783/ProductInformation.raction

Is there a thermostat in the hall or anywhere else do u know? Set them to the highest, as looking for the most heat to see if they come on...
    I just found this one in the hall. I turned it up to high and the thermostat clicked. So just wait and see what happens I suppose.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23 frankxxxx

I just found this one in the hall. I turned it up to high and the thermostat clicked. So just wait and see what happens I suppose.

more than likely problem solved if it was turned down

that's the old ESB GOLD SHIELD mark1 you have, before the devireg was being fitted

frankxxxx wrote: »
    more than likely problem solved if it was turned down

that's the old ESB GOLD SHIELD mark1 you have, before the devireg was being fitted

Sure will see what happens. I turned it up high there now so fingers crossed.

The storage heaters kicked in last night at 11. I'm not sure if it was because I turned up the thermostate or do they not come on at weekends. Guess I will know next weekend lol. I will let you all know.

• Advertisement
Advertisement