Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Christmas Market

Options
  • 22-11-2014 9:44pm
    Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,943 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Has kicked off again!

Open yesterday and had to head straight for corn dogs and that lovely mulled wine with a little rum. Take the edge off of the week.

Picked up a garlic grater and some seafood paella tonight. The paella was excellent I thought.

Also heard my first fairytale of new york of the year.

It is a little pricey - large paella was 10 euro. Burgers I think are 5 as are the frankfurters. But it's nice to have it back and I always miss it when it's gone.

(Is there already a thread about this? If so sorry biko but I couldn't find it!)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,454 ✭✭✭✭thesandeman

The cake thingys in the stall beside the beer tent look lovely but 7 quid a slice is a bit over the top.
    The paella stall don't seem to be pushed about selling the veg option this year on maybe they just forgot to get a sign made up.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,957 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

All the Lidl stalls up the top seem weird. I know they're a German company and all, but ahhh, not really market material.

Rest seems normal though, didn't spot any interesting new stalls. And disappointed that the bakery place has changed its product lines.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,852 ✭✭✭CrowdedHouse

Are the Chimney Cakes back? :)

Seven Worlds will Collide

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 5,620 ✭✭✭El_Dangeroso

All the Lidl stalls up the top seem weird. I know they're a German company and all, but ahhh, not really market material.

Rest seems normal though, didn't spot any interesting new stalls. And disappointed that the bakery place has changed its product lines.

Yeah I thought the Lidl thing was weird too, but they are only there for a week according to one of the stall workers, it's a roadshow thing that they are taking around the country.

Chimney cakes are there too.

Same stalls this year but I do think the layout is a bit better, really does add to the atmosphere, feel all christmassy now!

The LIDL thing is finishing tomorrow. Got loads of samples off them. Had to lick the stamp off my hand before every wine though. Pity they don't have cheese samples.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,689 ✭✭✭joeKel73

Lidl have really cornered the Christmas market this year. (I'll get my hat... :p )

Thought Lidl made a great effort to be fair. Nice to have a cheap option - bbq'd burger or hotdogs were just €2 each. Hot chocolate with marshmallows for €1. I'd say it was welcome by parents with a few hungry mouths.

Chimney Cakes are back! Big queues though, some neighbouring stands getting blocked off with the queue yesterday.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,210 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

As said above, well done to LIDL, they nailed it. Free samples, decently priced items etc..

I said jokingly to the guy "Your competitors must be delighted ye're here" he just started to grin :D

Also, a portion of Pistachio nuts for 60cent with a free sample of mulled wine... jaysiz ya couldn't bayte it with a stick.

Pitty they're not hanging around for the whole thing :(

On a side note, got a laugh out of a typical stingy foreigner. Went up to the LIDL mulled wine stand "ummm how much vree vine do ve get". Yer one gave him a scoury look and said 'strictly 1 per purchase', as she proceeded to hand me 2 :D Dirty foreigners!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,944 ✭✭✭✭Links234

Missed LIDL unfortunately

I'm slightly addicted to the macaroons from the french bakery, those are absolutely delicious, hopefully I won't go as mad on them as I did last year.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,655 ✭✭✭✭Tokyo

Are the Chimney Cakes back? :)

Yup! They had them there today on the north-east side of the square.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,930 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

First time I've bothered having a wander around it - won't waste my time next year. Not a whole lot actually there considering the amount of space.

It is a little pricey

It's extortionate.

€2 for one macaroon.
    macaroons.jpg

ONE. IMHO every single food place is pricing themselves out of the market (apart from LIDL going by whats said on here, there was nobody at their food stall earlier).

• Advertisement

Links234 wrote: »
    Missed LIDL unfortunately

You might have another chance. They are doing today (Monday) as well from 3-8.
    Has anyone spotted their charity boxes for Barretstown? I wanted to throw something in the other night seeing as they fed and watered me but I couldn't find them.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 12,333 ✭✭✭✭JONJO THE MISER

You might have another chance. They are doing today (Monday) as well from 3-8.
    Has anyone spotted their charity boxes for Barretstown? I wanted to throw something in the other night seeing as they fed and watered me but I couldn't find them.

Thats lunch sorted for tomorrow so.

Was thinking breakfast myself. Tis like a German Tapas bar.

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭AppleD

Is this at Stephens Green or down at IFSC?

• Registered Users Posts: 22,655 ✭✭✭✭Tokyo

AppleD wrote: »

Home > Region > West > Galway City > Christmas Market

• Registered Users Posts: 622 ✭✭✭greenbicycle

Neither, its in Galway

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭AppleD

Ah here I should go back to bed.. Ah well as a Galway girl I'll be visiting this market too.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,711 ✭✭✭Redhairedguy

Ah well as a Galway girl I'll be visiting this market too.

Try the corndogs! ;)

€2 for one macaroon.
    macaroons.jpg

That's a macaron, not macaroon. ;)

Macaroons were €1.50 I think.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭bigpink

I didn't give the lidl stalls a chance so it seems thought it was just a pr excerise.Overall was very disappointed with it first time going 3 of the same hotdog burger stands,mull wine bar rude staff and music blaring out and it served in a stupid tall glass not designed for hot drinks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,930 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

J o e wrote: »
    That's a macaron, not macaroon. ;)

Macaroons were €1.50 I think.

It was a typo, however
    In reality, the word macaroon is simply the English translation of the French word macaron, so both pronunciations are technically correct depending on personal preference and context
    :p

• Registered Users Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭Storm 10

Took a stroll through the market yesterday and I find it very disappointing there are way to many food stalls and just a few selling Christmas stuff, if I owned a restaurant in the City I would be pretty peeved off at all the food stalls, no way is it a Christmas Market.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,832 ✭✭✭spottybananas

Storm 10 wrote: »
    Took a stroll through the market yesterday and I find it very disappointing there are way to many food stalls and just a few selling Christmas stuff, if I owned a restaurant in the City I would be pretty peeved off at all the food stalls, no way is it a Christmas Market.

Some food stalls in a busy cold market aren't going to make much of a dent in restaurants 2-3 course dinner sales in fairness. If anything the market is likely to pull more people in who will eat something small at the market and then go for dinner somewhere else later. I prefer lots of varying food stalls than lots of stalls selling Christmas tat.

Storm 10 wrote: »

I only go to the market for the food and drink. Would be happy out if they made it a Christmas Food Market.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Had the chicken paella, large was €8
    Was ok, kinda what I expected.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,943 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

J o e wrote: »
    I only go to the market for the food and drink. Would be happy out if they made it a Christmas Food Market.

The food is what brings you back. All the other stuff is sorta crappy. Though I did buy that garlic mincing saucer. Used it twice since. It's fecking great.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Das Kitty

The food is what brings you back. All the other stuff is sorta crappy. Though I did buy that garlic mincing saucer. Used it twice since. It's fecking great.

It makes a great job of ginger too.

Das Kitty wrote: »
    It makes a great job of ginger too.

I'm thinking of reporting this to Redhairedguy.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,711 ✭✭✭Redhairedguy

I'm thinking of reporting this to Redhairedguy.

My ginger sense was tingling the second the words were posted...

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Das Kitty

My ginger sense was tingling the second the words were posted...

I'd say you're not adverse to being ground, RHG. :pac:

Advertisement