Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Christmas Market

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,711 ✭✭✭Redhairedguy

Only when I'm especially bold... Like, wooden spoon bold... :o

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭bigpink

Thought the food options were boring and not that many

As i said 3 of the same bbq burger and hotdog stalls,the paella seemed good alright and a bakery stall

• Registered Users Posts: 2,924 ✭✭✭beardybrewer

Is the corndog guy back yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

The food is what brings you back. All the other stuff is sorta crappy. Though I did buy that garlic mincing saucer. Used it twice since. It's fecking great.

I was pondering buying it. Now I wish I had :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,944 ✭✭✭✭Links234

Yup

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Das Kitty

Yes

• Registered Users Posts: 3,711 ✭✭✭Redhairedguy

image.png?w=400&c=1

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,986 ✭✭✭philstar

is there free parking near by??

i'll be coming from the ennis direction, or is it easier to use the park & ride?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭Cheshire Cat

philstar wrote: »

i'll be coming from the ennis direction, or is it easier to use the park & ride?

No free parking near by. Do yourself a favour and use the Park & Ride. Much cheaper than parking in town and so much better for your sanity!

• Advertisement
  • Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 5,620 ✭✭✭El_Dangeroso

No free parking as it's right in Galway city centre, you're better off getting the park and ride, Galway traffic is always bad and especially so at this time of year.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭GalwayGrrrrrl

If you are coming on a Sunday or any evening you could park for free in dyke road car park - it gets busy this time if year though. It's four euro all day mon-sat daytime. It's about 5 mins walk to market in Eyre Square. Park and ride saves you the stress of traffic and finding a space so is probably your best option.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 12,333 ✭✭✭✭JONJO THE MISER

It has been really quiet there this year, dont think it will be around next year.

• Registered Users Posts: 509 ✭✭✭Paddyfield

It has been really quiet there this year, dont think it will be around next year.

Seriously? I was there three times this year (and will be going there on Saturday night!!!) and each time it was busy. Last Sunday afternoon was hectic.

Are you speculating that it won't be there or do you have some inside information?

• Registered Users Posts: 968 ✭✭✭Sofa King

I brought my daughter into the market recently and we were both very disappointed with the market this year.

There was no real Christmas buzz around and hardly anyone there when we were there.

When we got home, my wife asked our 6 year old what did she think of it, and in her words she said; 'it was rubbish'.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 7,401 Mod ✭✭✭✭pleasant Co.

Sofa King wrote: »
    I brought my daughter into the market recently and we were both very disappointed with the market this year.

There was no real Christmas buzz around and hardly anyone there when we were there.

When we got home, my wife asked our 6 year old what did she think of it, and in her words she said; 'it was rubbish'.

I agree with your daughter. It's as if it's been put together by people who don't quite get what they're supposed to be creating. It's rather embarrassing for Galway, but that's just my opinion.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,096 ✭✭✭✭beertons

I liked it. Was in Galway for a weekend, and the kids, 1.5 & 3, liked it too. Never been on a helter skelter before. The missus liked the mulled wine, and twirly chocolate cake. Will definitely head West again next year.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,151 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

I agree with your daughter. It's as if it's been put together by people who don't quite get what they're supposed to be creating. It's rather embarrassing for Galway, but that's just my opinion.

I wouldnt go as far as saying its embarrassing but its not a patch on or remotely similar to a traditional German Market, way too many sh1tty tat stalls, the food and drink and wood type crafts should be the only things allowed, no places selling feckin hats, gloves and scarves that youd find cheaper in Penneys.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,924 ✭✭✭beardybrewer

While the market has the carousel and a few rides it is really aimed more for adults.

I think the Winter Wonderland was a great addition at the docks. Take her ice skating and maybe she won't complain.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,210 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

They've really failed their target market, then.

/sarcasm

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 509 ✭✭✭Paddyfield

It's the 36th next in Europe

http://www.buzzfeed.com/hannahjewell/christmas-markets-to-visit-before-you-die

Let's celebrate this achievement...

• Registered Users Posts: 968 ✭✭✭Sofa King

While the market has the carousel and a few rides it is really aimed more for adults.

I think the Winter Wonderland was a great addition at the docks. Take her ice skating and maybe she won't complain.

As an adult, I felt it was a disappointment.
    JohnCleary wrote: »
    They've really failed their target market, then.

/sarcasm

Well, just based on the two of us, they've failed to impress from a 6 -32 year old.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 688 ✭✭✭Aerohead

I was very disappointed with the market also, far to many food stalls you were tripping over them, I was in the Manchester Christmas Market last year and the difference is massive, big wooden huts all the same and not as many food cabins as Galway. Someone said on local radio last week that the Galway Market was the best in Europe, obviously has not left Galway because its nowhere near the Markets on the Continent.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 479 ✭✭In Lonesome Dove

My favourite stall at the Galway Xmas market is the one with the nuns. With the Russian dolls and the religious bits and pieces.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

is the waterford one better??

• Registered Users Posts: 10,454 ✭✭✭✭thesandeman

fryup wrote: »
    is the waterford one better??

Maybe. But they don't do a Park & Ride from Galway.

Is it closed now or do I still have a chance to get some macaroons?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,454 ✭✭✭✭thesandeman

Links234 wrote: »

Couple of hours officially, but with the weather id say some of them are pulling out already.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭vkid

Came up from Clare, on 2 separate occasions with different people each time and all thought it was pretty poor. The one in Dublin across from the Shelbourne was pretty rubbish as well though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,151 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

Links234 wrote: »

According to the Galway independent its open til 8,but what was said above makes sense too.

Advertisement